Ship times for new MacBook Pro models with Touch Bar fall to 4-5 weeks

Comments

• Reply 21 of 51
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Pity no good MagSafe adapter from Apple, and the only third party one is this giant thing—one ugly gadget. Then we have 10 hour battery life, so the argument that battery life is so good you rarely need to charge doesn't fly. I don't buy that as a good argument anyway. For me the best thing about MagSafe isn't the trip-safety, but the elegance of magnetic attraction for power.

And then there's the entry machine:  €1,749 and no Touch Bar :-(

If MacBook Air at 256 GB is €1,379 the least Apple could do is give us Touch Bar in the new machine at €1,749. I guess when my bonuses are $10M I won't care either. €2,099 for the cheapest 13" Touch Bar model.

Given the price, battery life and MagSafe, 13" MBA is the better choice for most people. The four reasons I choose MacBook Air, battery life, MagSafe, slimness and price and Phil's suggestion this "entry-level" machine be an Air replacement/upgrade and it only meets one of these.

That and the fact the new machine doesn't have Lightning is puzzling. So I buy an iPhone and can't use its headphones with my new MBP without that dongle? I don't wish to spend €300 on headphones; I don't wish to have to charge my headphones; I hate Micro-USB. Plenty of reasons I want to use wired headphones, especially the ones with my new iPhone without the requirement to use a dongle. Dongle for 1/4 jack products, Lightning without dongle—as it should be. Everything else will move to USBc/Thun3 eventually.
    edited October 2016 entropysrandominternetpersoncali
  • Reply 22 of 51
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    digitol said:
    bluefire1 said:
    I don't need a new Mac until next year, so I'm first going to see how Apple upgrades the 12" MacBook before deciding between it and the 13' Pro with Touch Bar. Too bad the Air still doesn't have a retina display.
    What else can Apple do to the 12" MB other than upgrade to Kaby Lake?
    Well let's start with what APPLE REMOVED from previous Macs:  Longer Battery Life, dedicated USB 3.0 ports, dedicated thunderbolt port, SD-Card slot, HDMI out, MagSafe power, Backlit apple on the back. Now let's imagine what should have been announced: Faster CPU, improved batt life, Larger than 16GB RAM limit, Next generation WIFI AD (wiGig) --yes this exists look it up, improved Sound. So basically just include what we already had, and add these up to date cutting edge technologies. They already exist. It is possible. Instead Apple kowtows to the market and INCREASES prices, and EXCLUDES options/functions i/0 !!! It just doesn't add up. Please send a message to Apple and don't buy this stuff. They will get away with it as long as we allow it. I'm a mac fan, this hurts me to write this, but it's the reality, and Apple can absolutely do better. You know it and I know it. 
    *Spews coffee over desk*

No backlit Apple logo??

OH,  THE HUMANITY!

edited October 2016 stormgarellirandominternetpersontwa440pscooter63jony0
  • Reply 23 of 51
    bluefire1 said:
    I don't need a new Mac until next year, so I'm first going to see how Apple upgrades the 12" MacBook before deciding between it and the 13' Pro with Touch Bar. Too bad the Air still doesn't have a retina display.
    Air with Retina display is called 13" MBP. When you add Retina to Air, it becomes a Pro due to the larger battery and improved internals to drive 13" Retina screen.
  • Reply 24 of 51
    ireland said:
    Pity no good MagSafe adapter from Apple, and the only third party one is this giant thing—one ugly gadget. Then we have 10 hour battery life, so the argument that battery life is so good you rarely need to charge doesn't fly. I don't buy that as a good argument anyway. For me the best thing about MagSafe isn't the trip-safety, but the elegance of magnetic attraction for power.

If MacBook Air at 256 GB is €1,379 the least Apple could do is give us Touch Bar in the new machine at €1,749. I guess when my bonuses are $10M I won't care either. €2,099 for the cheapest 13" Touch Bar model.

Given the price, battery life and MagSafe, 13" MBA is the better choice for most people. The four reasons I choose MacBook Air, battery life, MagSafe, slimness and price and Phil's suggestion this "entry-level" machine be an Air replacement/upgrade and it only meets one of these.

That and the fact the new machine doesn't have Lightning is puzzling. So I buy an iPhone and can't use its headphones with my new MBP without that dongle? I don't wish to spend €300 on headphones; I don't wish to have to charge my headphones; I hate Micro-USB. Plenty of reasons I want to use wired headphones, especially the ones with my new iPhone without the requirement to use a dongle. Dongle for 1/4 jack products, Lightning without dongle—as it should be. Everything else will move to USBc/Thun3 eventually.
    What mgnetic attraction ?! The power is conducted by means of good old pins, not magnetic attraction in MagSafe. Magnetic attraction just holds the cord in place. So you were thinking that the Mac has a magnetic charging similar to the Watch, right? OMG OMG...
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 51
    williamhwilliamh Posts: 1,036member
    focher said:
    No one buys MacBooks anymore. There's such a long wait time. 
    The food at this restaurant is terrible... and the portions are so small!  /s
    And nobody goes there anymore .... it's too crowded! /s
    lkruppcalipscooter63jony0
  • Reply 26 of 51
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    ireland said:

What mgnetic attraction ?!
    The physical way you bring the cord over to the machine. For the lazy among us. Every time I go to charge I find it delightful and I've been doing it literally for years.
    edited October 2016 entropysrandominternetpersoncalipscooter63
  • Reply 27 of 51
    As SJ said: "you can please some people some of the time."  So Apple chose which people they want to please now. And according to this news, Apple looks like they did. 
  • Reply 28 of 51
    Good. My credit card isn't ready. A maxed out 15" with 2TB is $4300. JFC but omg I am ready.

If anyone questions that — let me just say I work on my 2011 MBP every almost every hour of every day so an extra whatever is not that big of a deal but holy hell that's an expensive machine. I'm used to the ~2700 price point for what I get, but then upgrade later. The 3rd party upgrade thing is not happening (at least yet), and I accept that.

Go Go Go.  I'm doing top shelf 13"
  • Reply 29 of 51
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,362member
    Pent up demand, I'd like to introduce you to limited supply. I think you two have a lot in common. 
    watto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 30 of 51
    Good. My credit card isn't ready. A maxed out 15" with 2TB is $4300. JFC but omg I am ready.

If anyone questions that — let me just say I work on my 2011 MBP every almost every hour of every day so an extra whatever is not that big of a deal but holy hell that's an expensive machine. I'm used to the ~2700 price point for what I get, but then upgrade later. The 3rd party upgrade thing is not happening (at least yet), and I accept that.

I get maxing out GPU and SSD space.. However, CPU? Don't... just say no. Maxing out the CPU for $200 for less than a 1% boost in speed isn't worth it. The 2 CPU options are identical in Cache, L2 and L3, and bus speeds.. Everything, except a .2GHz difference in speed..

Save the $200 my friend..

You can see the comparison here... http://ark.intel.com/compare/88972,88970
    edited October 2016 jony0
  • Reply 31 of 51
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    This is indeed pent up demand... but I dont think that the price increases outside the US are sitting all that pretty with those of us who will upgrade anyway.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 51
    digitol said:
    i'm seriously having trouble believing this. Maybe Apple only made 100 macbook pro's? Seriously, i'm finding it extremely hard to comprehend people wanting to pay more money for a laptop that has taken away more i/o than ever, and on top of that still sports the same CPU's that have been sold since 2013. Gimicky touch bar aside, I just don't see it. 
    Keep trying. It's hard at first....
    Bluntflaneurjony0
  • Reply 33 of 51
    ireland said:

You might seriously consider flying over to NYC and picking up a couple! Might work out cheaper, airfare included...
    ireland
  • Reply 34 of 51
    Do I need a Pro model with Touch Bar?

If you want to own a general purpose computer for general tasks, don't buy it.
    If you don't have or won't have soon a Thunderbolt device to attach, don't buy it (USB 3 doesn't count).
    If you don't use heavy pro apps like Photoshop or Final Cut Pro daily, don't buy it
    If you are not into heavy gaming don't buy it.
    If you don't run a local MAMP stack (Apache, PHP, MySQL) don't buy it.
    If you don't do a lot of video editing and encoding, don't buy it.
    If you don't compile millions of line of code under Xcode, don't buy it.
    If you've spent a fortune to your cellphone, don't buy it, you deserve that...

Buy a Retina Macbook, iPad, Macbook Air or Mac mini. Or a last year's Pro model without the TouchID.

When Apple says "Pro" they mean it. A Pro computer is not a general purpose computer.
  • Reply 35 of 51
    Blunt said:
    I won't buy one because my six years old Macbook Pro is still going strong. Never had to hard reboot it once, never had mallware or a virus. The only problem was a defect video card which was replaced for free in two days. My friends Windows laptop took a month to fix. Macs save you so much time compared to Windows shit.
    I was a Windows/PC enthusiast for over 20 years, then bought I bought an iMac and never looked back. The amount of crap that you have to deal with on a PC is ridiculous in comparison to a Mac. Now when people ask me to fix their PCs I just tell them to donate it and buy a Mac, saves them time, money and frustration . I'm running an 11 year old iMac, albeit with maxed RAM and SSD, as my primary computer because it refuses to slow down or die. This is the first OS release that is not supported which will be the reason I'll buy a new iMac when they get released. The old one will be given away to some friends of mine who made the mistake of buying a new Windows PC 2 years ago.
    calipscooter63
  • Reply 36 of 51
    ireland said:

You might seriously consider flying over to NYC and picking up a couple! Might work out cheaper, airfare included...
    going to NYC in person means that you'd still have to pay NY Sales Tax.
    Better to go to DC and drive to Delaware. No sales tax there. (and a couple of other states)
    randominternetperson
  • Reply 37 of 51
    I'll pass on these. Just far too expensive given the current exchange rate of the £ vs $.
    Also, the dropping of the SD card and standard USB ports is just unacceptable for me and a good number of other people who frequent Mac sites.
    Sorry Apple, you messed this update up big time. This is a step backward. No, I'm wrong. This is a big LEAP backwards.
    :/
  • Reply 38 of 51
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    digitol said:
    i'm seriously having trouble believing this. Maybe Apple only made 100 macbook pro's? Seriously, i'm finding it extremely hard to comprehend people wanting to pay more money for a laptop that has taken away more i/o than ever, and on top of that still sports the same CPU's that have been sold since 2013. Gimicky touch bar aside, I just don't see it. 
    Well keep in mind that if Apple's performance claims are accurate, this will be the first MBP in quite some time that has had a noticeable performance increase in quite some time. Even if it is an "old" CPU it's still much better than what they were using. There is a significant backlog of users who have been chomping at the bit to upgrade. Let's wait and see what the steady-state demand is after this initial rush is over.

Interesting to note that there also appears to have been a rush on Apple's outgoing model as available in their Refurbished web page. I've been watching over the past couple of months and this morning there are only about 1/3 the number of models as are normally listed. Of course, there is no information available on how many of each model are available; but it appears folks are also snapping those up before they are no longer available. Similar to the rush on 2012 Mac mini when the 2014 model was released with crippled upgradability.
  • Reply 39 of 51
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    digitol said:
    You just need to understand that you and those like you are NOT the market, not even a sliver of the market. You belong to the PC market that lives and dies by specs, legacy ports and traditional hardware. No changes for you. Your problem is that you know Windows 10 sucks so moving to the market you belong in is almost impossible. So you just bitch. As to believing the report about availability I refer you to the iPhone 7 haters who declared the removal of the headphone jack to be the last straw. There were solemn predictions of epic fail and Armageddon for Apple. I’m guessing that crowd is having a hard time believing the huge sales of that product too. See what I mean?
    randominternetpersoncaliwonkothesanepscooter63
  • Reply 40 of 51
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    ireland said:

What mgnetic attraction ?! The power is conducted by means of good old pins, not magnetic attraction in MagSafe. Magnetic attraction just holds the cord in place. So you were thinking that the Mac has a magnetic charging similar to the Watch, right? OMG OMG...
    No, no. It's about the convenience of just having to get the MagSafe close to the port and it gets pulled into place and aligned by the magnet. And when I pick up my MBP a light flick with my left thumb as I gripe the edge of the case will disconnect the MagSafe. I can disconnect power and pick up my laptop in one motion with a single hand.

I would miss that convenience even more than the trip protection MagSafe provided.
    randominternetpersoncalipscooter63