AT&T to throttle streaming video quality by default in 2017

Posted:
in General Discussion edited November 2016
AT&T on Friday announced Stream Saver, an upcoming "data-saving" feature that automatically reduces high-resolution streaming video content to standard definition DVD quality for mobile service subscribers, including those with unlimited data plans.

According to AT&T, Stream Saver saves on data by scanning incoming data streams and capping detected high definition content to 1.5 Mbps, roughly the equivalent of DVD video, or about 480p. The service will be turned on by default for new and existing customers when it launches in early 2017.

Depending on how content providers deliver video streams, Stream Saver in some cases might not be able to detect and optimize video, AT&T says.

Stream Saver affects all postpaid rate plans, including Mobile Share Advantage, AT&T Unlimited Plan, Mobile Share Value, Mobile Share, AT&T 1GB Tablet Plan, AT&T 1GB Car Plan, Unlimited Data plan and others. It will also be applied to certain AT&T GoPhone plans, excluding those that serve connected vehicles.

AT&T is spinning Stream Saver as a positive for consumers; a free, value-added feature that helps customers avoid overage fees.

"We know our customers love to be entertained while mobile, and Stream Saver lets them enjoy more of what they love, whether it's video or something else," said David Christopher, chief marketing officer at AT&T Entertainment Group. "And, they are in control - it's their choice on how to use this innovative feature."

Though the feature is switched on by default, subscribers have the option of turning it off -- and on again -- at no extra cost via myAT&T, Premiere, or by dialing 611 from a smartphone.

AT&T says it will notify customers by text message when Stream Saver goes live.
dunestock

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    I wish streaming services would easily let you modify streaming data rate. I am happy about this. especially  with a daughter who loves to stream movies. Don't need full 1080p to watch video. Any way AT&T can help I am good with. ESP with the crappy service I have just browsing the net.  If they can free up there network some. I am all for it. 
    edited November 2016 dunestockpscooter63stanthemanSolijSnively
  • Reply 2 of 23
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Default on or off at least there's a choice. Personal control is nice. 
    edited November 2016 dunestockbaconstangrandominternetpersonchristophbjahblademike1macgui
  • Reply 3 of 23
    Here it comes. With the handful of progressives in Washington out of the way, it's open season on consumers. 
    Nice! You took an informative article and turned it into a us vs them political diatribe. You get a trophy. 
    netroxapple ][redraider11stanthemanlkruppjordon schultzbuzdotsmike1tallest skilmacgui
  • Reply 4 of 23
    Here it comes. With the handful of progressives in Washington out of the way, it's open season on consumers. 
    At least you have a choice to turn on or off this at will and it's not forced one way. 
    edited November 2016 jfc1138redraider11tallest skilmacgui
  • Reply 5 of 23
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    snookie said:
    Of course he's right. The republicans,  including and especially Trump are about to bend us all over. Some of you were dumb enough to ask for it. Not that Hillary was a prize but at least it would have been status quo, 
    Which has precisely zero about an internet service provider offering their customers a way to modify their downloads to fit their devices. At. The. Customer's. Discretion. 
    stanthemanbuzdotsmike1SpamSandwichtallest skilmacguijbdragon
  • Reply 6 of 23
    T-Mobile already does exactly this. It's not a new thing. The current FCC said it was OK.
    stanthemanmacguijbdragon
  • Reply 7 of 23
    snookie said:
    Of course he's right. The republicans,  including and especially Trump are about to bend us all over. Some of you were dumb enough to ask for it. Not that Hillary was a prize but at least it would have been status quo, 
    Trump has already come out against ATT/Time Warner merger. Did she say anything against it???
    jbdragon
  • Reply 8 of 23
    I can count on one hand the number of times I've wanted to increase the streaming quality beyond 480p. On a screen that small, it makes little difference.
    Soli
  • Reply 9 of 23
    misamisa Posts: 827member
    AT&T on Friday announced Stream Saver, an upcoming "data-saving" feature that automatically reduces high-resolution streaming video content to standard definition 
    Though the feature is switched on by default, subscribers have the option of turning it off -- and on again -- at no extra cost via myAT&T, Premiere, or by dialing 611 from a smartphone.

AT&T says it will notify customers by text message when Stream Saver goes live.
    Uh, no.

This is just a way to gouge customers for more money by going "Hey did you know AT&T offers 115Mbps downlink speeds on LTE? That's good enough to watch a UHD Movie while in the car, on the bus, on the train!" etc. In all practicality Mobile data tends to be rubbish because AT&T and others don't provide enough capacity through enough towers. Go to any convention, any, and try to use your mobile phone once the doors open. It will be nearly useless. Comic convention in town? Forget even being able to use Skype.

They do not want to offer Unlimited, Unmetered data because there goes their data overage fees. But people want to watch videos during their transit commutes, maybe not UHD, but many mobile devices have HD screen resolutions.

This feature is only something someone would want enabled on portable hot-spots, eg those shared by 6 or so users, eg on a bus/car/train so that it doesn't render the connection useless (eg Amtrak Cascades has WiFi, but it's completely useless through most of the trip due to the Cellular link shared by everyone on the train. Yet, if you switch to your own Data, you also find out there is no coverage throughout half the trip anyway.) Otherwise, if only one device is on the data connection, this feature actually makes the network look slower than it really is.

edited November 2016
  • Reply 10 of 23
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,631member
    Politics aside, I only see this as a desperate attempt to reduce investment into an overwhelmed infrastructure and data network while continuing to command the highest possible prices.  

Faster service?  No.  Better video?  No.  More data?  NO!

Shouldn't things be getting better, stronger, faster, and cheaper?
    GeorgeBMacbrucemc
  • Reply 11 of 23
    eriamjh said:
    Politics aside, I only see this as a desperate attempt to reduce investment into an overwhelmed infrastructure and data network while continuing to command the highest possible prices.  

Like with T-Mobile, this is undoubtedly nothing more than an attempt to reduce congestion on their network. I turned off T-Mobile's Binge-on when it started even though I rarely watch video.

But the reality is that many people won't really care very much and some people won't even notice. And that's fine. Those who don't want the service can just turn it off. All-around the negative effect on the consumer is very small but there is a justifiable positive effect—less congestion equals better network performance for other services and less data used on the individual's plan.

• Reply 12 of 23
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    IMHO Any stream should simply adapt the the best resolution any given device is capable of displaying.  Not higher and certainly not lower.
  • Reply 13 of 23
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    “Though the feature is switched on by default, subscribers have the option of turning it off —and on again —at no extra cost via myAT&T, Premiere, or by dialing 611 from a smartphone.” I guess you can’t read. And I thought you liberals were supposed to be highly educated critical thinkers.
    buzdotsmike1apple ][brucemcdunestock
  • Reply 14 of 23

“Though the feature is switched on by default, subscribers have the option of turning it off —and on again —at no extra cost via myAT&T, Premiere, or by dialing 611 from a smartphone.” I guess you can’t read. And I thought you liberals were supposed to be highly educated critical thinkers.
    My highly educated critical thinking tells me that it's kind of odd that providers that constantly advertise blazing fast internet speeds to everyone are worried that their networks can't actually provide blazing fast internet speeds to everyone.
    libertyforallnolamacguymacgui
  • Reply 15 of 23
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member

While I agree with your point, I suspect that this was in the works long before the election of Trump.

But, for myself, I worry less about Trump than I do about the extremely radicalized Ayn Rand conservatives who have been activated and empowered.   Their mission is to shred the consumer protections and safety nets that have served this nation for decades.   The consequences will not be immediate. but there will be consequences.   Those programs were put in place to solve problems.  Removing them will open flood gates of issues and problems that we haven't seen in decades.

• Reply 16 of 23
    This is horrible, I have unlimited data, so HOW can I shut off this crappy "stream saver"?!  DO NOT WANT!

This should be OPT-IN ONLY, the average person will not even have a clue!  
    edited November 2016 tallest skil
  • Reply 17 of 23
    davendaven Posts: 696member
    Good news press releases are released on Tuesdays for maximum impact. Bad news press releases come out on Fridays or the weekend as fewer people are paying attention. Gee, this press release came out on Friday... Do you really think it is good news?
  • Reply 18 of 23
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    This is horrible, I have unlimited data, so HOW can I shut off this crappy "stream saver"?!  DO NOT WANT!

This should be OPT-IN ONLY, the average person will not even have a clue!  
    This very article, you know, the one you didn’t read before posting your drivel, tells you in detail how to turn it off and on. So you know... get a clue or something.  :o
    Solimacgui
  • Reply 19 of 23
    eriamjh said:

Exactly. Between DirecTV and Time Warner (if it goes through) they will have spent $130 BILLION in pointless acquisitions. Imagine if they had spent a quarter of that money actually building the best network in this country? Consumers would flock to this network if they actually offered reasonably priced plans and showed they gave a shit about their customers. Instead, current customers are forced to pay the price for these mistakes (not to mention the failed bid to buy T-Mobile which basically funded their growth) in their monthy bills. 

As a former AT&T employee myself, it's really not surprising. The leader at the top is so full of himself, he believes he can do no wrong. 
    tallest skilnolamacguy
  • Reply 20 of 23
    On average I get 25Mbps down and 30Mbps up on my AT&T MVNO and no throttling of any kind!