Latest Apple headquarters drone video depicts carbon fiber auditorium roof, solar installations

2»

Comments

  • Reply 21 of 33
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,592member

    Was this video rushed out? Several typos and lack of attention to detail.

    Some examples from the captions:
    • Labeled "December" when it's still November.
    • "apple" - lowercase name?
    • "custom made" - this should be hyphenated
    • "Atruim" - should be "Atrium"

    I know it's against the rules to point out simple typos and grammatical errors in forum comments, but what about the content that this entire discussion is about? I think it's important that we highlight when people are lazy in this world, and this video is an example, even though I'm very grateful for someone taking the time to create it. I just wish they spent an extra 5 minutes making sure it was done to a higher standard. Or am I just being picky to expect better?

    The video wasn't made by Apple and wasn't made by AI.   It's produced by a third party.  And yes, there were plenty of typos, but we're living in an age of idiots where people who live in the worlds of tweeting and texting don't give a damn about spelling, grammar or sentence construction.   It's amazing how poorly college graduates write today.  
  • Reply 22 of 33
    paxman said:
    flaneur said:
    mac_128 said:
    Nice to see this is coming along. Hopefully they can put the finishing touches on it soon and start getting some employees moving in. I can't wait to see it when its completely finished with all the landscaping and everything. Maybe in March or so Apple can do a keynote from their brand new auditorium and release something nice.

    Too bad we can't see the inside. I'm sure the majority of the interior is already done.
    Here's a thought ... has Apple designed the building to be easily upgraded as future technologies become available, or will they have to build a brand new building as it's existing technology becomes obsolete? ;-)
    Reaching hard for something negative to say, are we? 

    Perovskite solar cell-ready? Oh no, they soldered these conventional ones to the roof!  

    Let's see what you can come up with.
    Here's something - Much as the building (the whole complex) is hugely impressive, it is also kind of 'daunting' and a little 'intimidating'. The scale and circular construction creates a feeling of impenetrability. Nothing really bad about that but something this massive creates a kind of Death Star feeling. 

    Is this Apple's next HQ?





    Nah! That looks more like Google's next HQ!
  • Reply 23 of 33
    zoetmb said:
    macxpress said:
    It kinda irks me how on other sites people whine and complain about how this is a waste of money and its taking resources away from Apple. This is why they aren't releasing anything, its way over budget, etc. This is complete and utter BS! This should be making Apple BETTER in the long haul. Its not taking any focus away from any team. Its not like the hardware team is sitting there designing something for the new campus, Apple has specific contractors and engineers for this. OS X isn't suffering because of this being built.

    What it should do in the end is combine all of the software teams into one section of the building instead of spreading them out over a 2hr drive away sometimes. Put the hardware teams into another section where they can better collaborate on projects, and then since the software team is also in the same building, they can also include them for their important input instead of doing whatever it is they're doing now whether its FaceTime conferences or making team leads drive 1-2hrs to Cupertino and then drive 1-2hrs back, wasting half the day just driving.

    While I agree that the building construction has little or nothing to do with day-to-day development, one does have to wonder who at Apple is supervising the construction and making decisions when issues come up.  Is it Cook?  Ive?   who?   And you know there's going to be all kinds of problems once the building is complete:  HVAC, leaks, noise, etc.  There always is even in traditional and easy office construction.  This always takes away from productivity.  

    Furthermore, Apple development over the last few years, with the possible exception of the Apple Watch, has been highly iterative.  I often wonder what all those employees aside from those who fill the distribution channels are actually doing.   I've seen all kinds of numbers about how many people Apple employs, but one from early 2016 claims 120,000 (I presume that's worldwide and includes retail).  

    Not that I ever truly believed Apple was really building a car, but that project seems pretty much dead.   The Apple Watch certainly hasn't taken over the world.  The iPhone obviously does very well, but when was the last time Apple added something to it that made a substantive difference?   The OLED strip on the new MBPs is original and interesting, but everything else about the machine is iterative and it's way overpriced as well as being completely non-upgradable and pretty much non-repairable.  And now Apple seems out of the monitor business and out of the router business and maybe out of the Mac mini and Pro tower business.   Aside from minor upgrades, they seem to have abandoned the pro applications.  Every time they touch the consumer applications, they seem to make them worse.   They seem to constantly make small changes that are incredibly annoying, like a recent change to Safari so it no longer displays the size of images as it used to.    In iOS, a recent upgrade to iTunes now orders Songs by artist instead of alphabetical by song title.   What the fuck is the point of that?  What idiot made that decision and who let them?  Why do they constantly break things that were working?

    I don't believe Watch sales are great, otherwise Apple would break them out.   Pad sales seem slow.   So really - what the hell is everyone working on, especially since they can't seem to advance the art until Intel gets their act together.  While the word is that once the new building is complete, Apple is keeping the other campus (although supposedly getting rid of all the leased space around Cupertino), that probably means a substantial increase in head count.

    So if a year from move-in, this results in a constantly flowing line of great new products, then everything will be fine.  But if it means just more iteration of the existing product line, I think Apple will really have blown it and the very expensive new building would have been a waste (except as a giant tax deduction).  I sincerely hope that will all that headcount,  space and R&D facilities that Apple has a bunch of very big things up its sleeve that we haven't even thought of yet.   I've always thought that 15 years from now, Apple would be an AI and Robotics company, but people usually think I'm nuts when I say that.   But something must be going on, otherwise they're building an empty monument to a company that while still is very successful financially, has lost its mojo.   And Apple cannot survive as a one product (iPhone) company.

    Apple's other big Achilles heal is its arrogance.   While I agree with the Jobs mantra that customers don't necessarily know what they want, Apple doesn't seem to listen to its customers at all.   Apple may know better when it comes to UX and UI (although I think that's been inferior to the past in recent years), but customers understand their own workflow far better than Apple does.   And this business of prioritizing form over function has to end and it won't until Ive decides to leave.   Ive is like the anorexic girl who never thinks she's thin enough.    I've been with Apple products since Apple's beginning, but I'm seriously thinking of buying a Windows laptop as my next machine.  As much as I hate Windows, I simply can't see paying what it will cost me for a new topped out MBP when there are alternatives at half the price with pretty much the same components inside.   
    Thanks for this well written and thoughtful comment. Sometimes I read to much shooting from the hip in here.
    edited November 2016
  • Reply 24 of 33
    Looks stunning. I reckon employees won't want to go home. Perhaps that's the intention?
  • Reply 25 of 33
    blastdoor said:
    macxpress said:
    Nice to see this is coming along. Hopefully they can put the finishing touches on it soon and start getting some employees moving in. I can't wait to see it when its completely finished with all the landscaping and everything. Maybe in March or so Apple can do a keynote from their brand new auditorium and release something nice.

    It kinda irks me how on other sites people whine and complain about how this is a waste of money and its taking resources away from Apple. This is why they aren't releasing anything, its way over budget, etc. This is complete and utter BS! This should be making Apple BETTER in the long haul. Its not taking any focus away from any team. Its not like the hardware team is sitting there designing something for the new campus, Apple has specific contractors and engineers for this. OS X isn't suffering because of this being built.

    What it should do in the end is combine all of the software teams into one section of the building instead of spreading them out over a 2hr drive away sometimes. Put the hardware teams into another section where they can better collaborate on projects, and then since the software team is also in the same building, they can also include them for their important input instead of doing whatever it is they're doing now whether its FaceTime conferences or making team leads drive 1-2hrs to Cupertino and then drive 1-2hrs back, wasting half the day just driving.

    I guess some people just don't get it. They want want want and don't care how it gets into their hands. They just want it and want it now. And it better be something they want when it comes out. Everyone knows how to run Apple better than Apple as always (even when Steve was there).
    I have nothing against the new campus -- Apple can easily afford it and I believe it will be worthwhile. 

    But I think you're going way too far in dismissing all criticism of Apple's inability to get things done. Here's a nice analysis piece on the difficult issue facing Apple right now:
     
    http://www.vox.com/new-money/2016/11/27/13706776/apple-functional-divisional

    While I don't want Apple to become GE, I also think that it is vitally important for Apple to figure out how to do more things at once. They're better at that now today than they were in 2007, but they need to improve even more. It's not an easy problem to solve, but pretending there's no problem guarantees no solution will be found. 
    Do you really think Apple just does one thing at a time? HAHAHAHA! Nobody really knows what Apple is working on so I put serious doubts on any comment or article when trying to figure out how Apple works and what its doing. Just because its not releasing anything when people think they should be doesn't mean they're not working on anything, or they only work on one or two things at a time. Again, if anything this new campus will increase the ability to do more things at once since everyone can work together in one building. 
  • Reply 26 of 33

    zoetmb said:
    macxpress said:
    It kinda irks me how on other sites people whine and complain about how this is a waste of money and its taking resources away from Apple. This is why they aren't releasing anything, its way over budget, etc. This is complete and utter BS! This should be making Apple BETTER in the long haul. Its not taking any focus away from any team. Its not like the hardware team is sitting there designing something for the new campus, Apple has specific contractors and engineers for this. OS X isn't suffering because of this being built.

    What it should do in the end is combine all of the software teams into one section of the building instead of spreading them out over a 2hr drive away sometimes. Put the hardware teams into another section where they can better collaborate on projects, and then since the software team is also in the same building, they can also include them for their important input instead of doing whatever it is they're doing now whether its FaceTime conferences or making team leads drive 1-2hrs to Cupertino and then drive 1-2hrs back, wasting half the day just driving.

    While I agree that the building construction has little or nothing to do with day-to-day development, one does have to wonder who at Apple is supervising the construction and making decisions when issues come up.  Is it Cook?  Ive?   who?   And you know there's going to be all kinds of problems once the building is complete:  HVAC, leaks, noise, etc.  There always is even in traditional and easy office construction.  This always takes away from productivity.  

    Furthermore, Apple development over the last few years, with the possible exception of the Apple Watch, has been highly iterative.  I often wonder what all those employees aside from those who fill the distribution channels are actually doing.   I've seen all kinds of numbers about how many people Apple employs, but one from early 2016 claims 120,000 (I presume that's worldwide and includes retail).  

    Not that I ever truly believed Apple was really building a car, but that project seems pretty much dead.   The Apple Watch certainly hasn't taken over the world.  The iPhone obviously does very well, but when was the last time Apple added something to it that made a substantive difference?   The OLED strip on the new MBPs is original and interesting, but everything else about the machine is iterative and it's way overpriced as well as being completely non-upgradable and pretty much non-repairable.  And now Apple seems out of the monitor business and out of the router business and maybe out of the Mac mini and Pro tower business.   Aside from minor upgrades, they seem to have abandoned the pro applications.  Every time they touch the consumer applications, they seem to make them worse.   They seem to constantly make small changes that are incredibly annoying, like a recent change to Safari so it no longer displays the size of images as it used to.    In iOS, a recent upgrade to iTunes now orders Songs by artist instead of alphabetical by song title.   What the fuck is the point of that?  What idiot made that decision and who let them?  Why do they constantly break things that were working?

    I don't believe Watch sales are great, otherwise Apple would break them out.   Pad sales seem slow.   So really - what the hell is everyone working on, especially since they can't seem to advance the art until Intel gets their act together.  While the word is that once the new building is complete, Apple is keeping the other campus (although supposedly getting rid of all the leased space around Cupertino), that probably means a substantial increase in head count.

    So if a year from move-in, this results in a constantly flowing line of great new products, then everything will be fine.  But if it means just more iteration of the existing product line, I think Apple will really have blown it and the very expensive new building would have been a waste (except as a giant tax deduction).  I sincerely hope that will all that headcount,  space and R&D facilities that Apple has a bunch of very big things up its sleeve that we haven't even thought of yet.   I've always thought that 15 years from now, Apple would be an AI and Robotics company, but people usually think I'm nuts when I say that.   But something must be going on, otherwise they're building an empty monument to a company that while still is very successful financially, has lost its mojo.   And Apple cannot survive as a one product (iPhone) company.

    Apple's other big Achilles heal is its arrogance.   While I agree with the Jobs mantra that customers don't necessarily know what they want, Apple doesn't seem to listen to its customers at all.   Apple may know better when it comes to UX and UI (although I think that's been inferior to the past in recent years), but customers understand their own workflow far better than Apple does.   And this business of prioritizing form over function has to end and it won't until Ive decides to leave.   Ive is like the anorexic girl who never thinks she's thin enough.    I've been with Apple products since Apple's beginning, but I'm seriously thinking of buying a Windows laptop as my next machine.  As much as I hate Windows, I simply can't see paying what it will cost me for a new topped out MBP when there are alternatives at half the price with pretty much the same components inside.   
    So because the Apple Watch didn't take off and they're not releasing anything on the Mac side you think they're not working on anything? Right!

    And you'll never make people happy no matter what you release. Apple could have made a 2015 15" MacBook Pro in Space Gray with the 2016 specs and some people would be happy and others would be pissing and moaning. You get tons of people asking for this and tons of people asking for that...you can't include it all. I hate to keep harping on this, but judging by initial sales I think Apple did very well with the current MacBook Pro. If it doesn't suit your needs then go get something else, even if its last years model MacBook Pro. 

    And I love how you just compare the components inside when comparing price points. Never mind the software it comes with, and the FREE OS X updates, the FREE Apple services that come with it, etc. Apple has never been about being cheap and it shouldn't ever try to be. The time it does it will be no better than HP, Dell, Lenovo, Acer, etc. It'll be just another cheap computer on the market.

    Your ranting about the MacBook Pro is just pure BS! 
  • Reply 27 of 33
    What differentiates Apple from other companies is that it engages in creative destruction.  It has Vision of where it is going.  They have no need to become like companies.
  • Reply 28 of 33
    512ke said:
    This is a huge construction project using American workers! Will Apple get some love from the new administration because of it? Yes *If Apple builds a giant coal power plant right in the middle of the 0
    or a holding pen for illegal immigrants.  Steve Bannon says they even want to discourage technology companies from hiring J-1 visa holders.  It may get bad...
  • Reply 29 of 33
    crowleycrowley Posts: 8,821member
    mac_128 said:
    Nice to see this is coming along. Hopefully they can put the finishing touches on it soon and start getting some employees moving in. I can't wait to see it when its completely finished with all the landscaping and everything. Maybe in March or so Apple can do a keynote from their brand new auditorium and release something nice.

    Too bad we can't see the inside. I'm sure the majority of the interior is already done.
    Here's a thought ... has Apple designed the building to be easily upgraded as future technologies become available, or will they have to build a brand new building as it's existing technology becomes obsolete? ;-)

    The advantage of the circular design it that they could have Wi-Fi towers in the center, reaching the entire circumference, and easily upgrade that as new tech comes out, instead of having hotspots physically wired into the building.
    The diameter of Campus 2 is almost 500m, which means that even the latest 801.11ac will be at their maximum range if the tower is at the centre and the connected device is at the circumference.  Since practically all the devices wil be along the circumference that seems very sub-optimal.  Wi-Fi points will be all along the building, as well as in the centre.  Apple won't scrimp on connectivity for the staff in their flagship headquarters.
  • Reply 30 of 33
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    paxman said:
    flaneur said:
    mac_128 said:
    Nice to see this is coming along. Hopefully they can put the finishing touches on it soon and start getting some employees moving in. I can't wait to see it when its completely finished with all the landscaping and everything. Maybe in March or so Apple can do a keynote from their brand new auditorium and release something nice.

    Too bad we can't see the inside. I'm sure the majority of the interior is already done.
    Here's a thought ... has Apple designed the building to be easily upgraded as future technologies become available, or will they have to build a brand new building as it's existing technology becomes obsolete? ;-)
    Reaching hard for something negative to say, are we? 

    Perovskite solar cell-ready? Oh no, they soldered these conventional ones to the roof!  

    Let's see what you can come up with.
    Here's something - Much as the building (the whole complex) is hugely impressive, it is also kind of 'daunting' and a little 'intimidating'. The scale and circular construction creates a feeling of impenetrability. Nothing really bad about that but something this massive creates a kind of Death Star feeling. 

    Is this Apple's next HQ?




    I appreciate your light hearted response. Unlike the post you replied to. There's a reason he and others are on my block list. I'm constantly surprised at the people who post here who have no sense of humor. Every statement, which even suggests a hint of criticism, has to be vigorously, and seriously defended. it must be exhausting.
  • Reply 31 of 33
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,031member
    zoetmb said:

    Was this video rushed out? Several typos and lack of attention to detail.

    Some examples from the captions:
    • Labeled "December" when it's still November.
    • "apple" - lowercase name?
    • "custom made" - this should be hyphenated
    • "Atruim" - should be "Atrium"

    I know it's against the rules to point out simple typos and grammatical errors in forum comments, but what about the content that this entire discussion is about? I think it's important that we highlight when people are lazy in this world, and this video is an example, even though I'm very grateful for someone taking the time to create it. I just wish they spent an extra 5 minutes making sure it was done to a higher standard. Or am I just being picky to expect better?

    The video wasn't made by Apple and wasn't made by AI.   It's produced by a third party.  And yes, there were plenty of typos, but we're living in an age of idiots where people who live in the worlds of tweeting and texting don't give a damn about spelling, grammar or sentence construction.   It's amazing how poorly college graduates write today.  
    But it indicates a subpar attention to detail. The people who have been filming this every month from the start (or near the start) have gotten considerably better at flying the drones, filming, editing, and agonizing their videos, but I've seen 2 of 2 for December that were shot around Thanksgiving that seem to be a step down over previous months. Maybe Thanksgiving was convenient since it's a national holiday, but I think there's also an urge to be first as I've noted in previous months where the days were creeping from being released in the first couple days of the month to being released the day before the end of the month, to a couple days, to now more than a quarter of month early.
  • Reply 32 of 33
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,031member
    This is a much video in every regard.


  • Reply 33 of 33
    zoetmb said:
    macxpress said:
    It kinda irks me how on other sites people whine and complain about how this is a waste of money and its taking resources away from Apple. This is why they aren't releasing anything, its way over budget, etc. This is complete and utter BS! This should be making Apple BETTER in the long haul. Its not taking any focus away from any team. Its not like the hardware team is sitting there designing something for the new campus, Apple has specific contractors and engineers for this. OS X isn't suffering because of this being built.

    What it should do in the end is combine all of the software teams into one section of the building instead of spreading them out over a 2hr drive away sometimes. Put the hardware teams into another section where they can better collaborate on projects, and then since the software team is also in the same building, they can also include them for their important input instead of doing whatever it is they're doing now whether its FaceTime conferences or making team leads drive 1-2hrs to Cupertino and then drive 1-2hrs back, wasting half the day just driving.

    While I agree that the building construction has little or nothing to do with day-to-day development, one does have to wonder who at Apple is supervising the construction and making decisions when issues come up.  Is it Cook?  Ive?   who?   And you know there's going to be all kinds of problems once the building is complete:  HVAC, leaks, noise, etc.  There always is even in traditional and easy office construction.  This always takes away from productivity.  

    Furthermore, Apple development over the last few years, with the possible exception of the Apple Watch, has been highly iterative.  I often wonder what all those employees aside from those who fill the distribution channels are actually doing.   I've seen all kinds of numbers about how many people Apple employs, but one from early 2016 claims 120,000 (I presume that's worldwide and includes retail).  

    Not that I ever truly believed Apple was really building a car, but that project seems pretty much dead.   The Apple Watch certainly hasn't taken over the world.  The iPhone obviously does very well, but when was the last time Apple added something to it that made a substantive difference?   The OLED strip on the new MBPs is original and interesting, but everything else about the machine is iterative and it's way overpriced as well as being completely non-upgradable and pretty much non-repairable.  And now Apple seems out of the monitor business and out of the router business and maybe out of the Mac mini and Pro tower business.   Aside from minor upgrades, they seem to have abandoned the pro applications.  Every time they touch the consumer applications, they seem to make them worse.   They seem to constantly make small changes that are incredibly annoying, like a recent change to Safari so it no longer displays the size of images as it used to.    In iOS, a recent upgrade to iTunes now orders Songs by artist instead of alphabetical by song title.   What the fuck is the point of that?  What idiot made that decision and who let them?  Why do they constantly break things that were working?

    I don't believe Watch sales are great, otherwise Apple would break them out.   Pad sales seem slow.   So really - what the hell is everyone working on, especially since they can't seem to advance the art until Intel gets their act together.  While the word is that once the new building is complete, Apple is keeping the other campus (although supposedly getting rid of all the leased space around Cupertino), that probably means a substantial increase in head count.

    So if a year from move-in, this results in a constantly flowing line of great new products, then everything will be fine.  But if it means just more iteration of the existing product line, I think Apple will really have blown it and the very expensive new building would have been a waste (except as a giant tax deduction).  I sincerely hope that will all that headcount,  space and R&D facilities that Apple has a bunch of very big things up its sleeve that we haven't even thought of yet.   I've always thought that 15 years from now, Apple would be an AI and Robotics company, but people usually think I'm nuts when I say that.   But something must be going on, otherwise they're building an empty monument to a company that while still is very successful financially, has lost its mojo.   And Apple cannot survive as a one product (iPhone) company.

    Apple's other big Achilles heal is its arrogance.   While I agree with the Jobs mantra that customers don't necessarily know what they want, Apple doesn't seem to listen to its customers at all.   Apple may know better when it comes to UX and UI (although I think that's been inferior to the past in recent years), but customers understand their own workflow far better than Apple does.   And this business of prioritizing form over function has to end and it won't until Ive decides to leave.   Ive is like the anorexic girl who never thinks she's thin enough.    I've been with Apple products since Apple's beginning, but I'm seriously thinking of buying a Windows laptop as my next machine.  As much as I hate Windows, I simply can't see paying what it will cost me for a new topped out MBP when there are alternatives at half the price with pretty much the same components inside.   
    I couldn't agree more,  I've been a shareholder of Apple for years and follow the company closely.  Tim Cook just doesn't seem hungry.  My idea would be to merge with Facebook and give the keys to Mark.  He's young, bright, and hungry. 
Sign In or Register to comment.