Apple AirPort Extreme claims top marks in consumer-grade wireless router survey

Comments

• Reply 21 of 107
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    I bet ASUS is very happy about Apple exiting this market.

This is a RUMOR, Not a fact.
    Stop spreading FAKE NEWS!!

…which happens to be a major problem all over the internet
     I didn't know this. There's tons of rumors floating around as facts online. 

If this is only a rumor I hope the team was reassigned to something bigger and better. A revolutionary router for HomeKit and the enterprise
  • Reply 22 of 107
    blastdoor said:
    Watching Apple right now is like watching the X-Files in those years when they clearly had no idea where to take the show. 

How does it make sense to cancel a product like this (or displays) but keep a very niche product like Logic?

If you depend on any product from Apple other than the iPhone, iPad, or MacBook I suggest you start looking for alternatives because no matter how good the product is, no matter how popular within its market, and no matter how much you are willing to pay -- Apple can and in many cases will kill the product with no clear reason and no warning. 

People 'need' Logic.
    Nobody 'needs' an Apple display (which is just a rebadged LG or something anyway), or an Apple router.
    welshdog
  • Reply 23 of 107
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    mtbnut said:
    Reassign them to the AirPods division.  It needs help, apparently.

$200 billion in the bank. 115,000 employees. 

And are late delivering wireless f-ing earphones. 

In any other industry, that's a fail. But with Apple, it's "We're taking the time to make sure we're doing it right," and everyone nods in agreement. 

Nice job. 
    Funny sh**

I bet AirPods will be the most anticipated earbuds in history.

Things like these DO take time. 
  • Reply 24 of 107

blastdoor said:
    blastdoor said:
    Watching Apple right now is like watching the X-Files in those years when they clearly had no idea where to take the show. 

How does it make sense to cancel a product like this (or displays) but keep a very niche product like Logic?

If you depend on any product from Apple other than the iPhone, iPad, or MacBook I suggest you start looking for alternatives because no matter how good the product is, no matter how popular within its market, and no matter how much you are willing to pay -- Apple can and in many cases will kill the product with no clear reason and no warning. 

Logic is no niche product. It is used in professional recording studios all over the world. 
    That sure sounds like a niche product to me. 

Ponder this:

1. What fraction of mac users use wifi and backup their files?
    2. What fraction of mac users work in a professional recording studio? 
    3. Which is more of a niche product -- AirPort/TimeCapsule or Logic? 
    3) Answer: Airport/TimeCapsule.
    (Don't believe me? Ask Apple.)
  • Reply 25 of 107
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,283member
    "During the survey period, 16% of users experienced a problem with their router, with the most commonly reported problem being the frequency of the need to reset the device, followed closely by slow internet speeds."

Slow internet speeds are usually the fault of the modem (cable/DSL) in front of the router. The only time I power cycle my Airport is after I power cycle my cable modem to make sure the Airport router syncs properly with the modem. Of course, it's always Apple's fault and never the ISP's over lack or inconsistent internet speeds. 

If Apple stays in the router business, I'd love to see them expand into providing cable modems since (at least) Comcast allows third-party modems. Why pay for the extra device or rent a combined WiFi router/modem from the ISP when you don't have to. I thought I read something about cable providers having to allow third-party cable boxes. If this is true, Apple could provide an AIO cable box (multiple tuners like Comcast's X1 box) with cable modem, WiFi router and DVR. Add additional WiFi stations, maybe even with data going over the existing cable coax instead of WiFi for faster speeds. I would buy this kind of a box in a heartbeat. If I still had internet speed issues I'd still complain to Comcast first before touching my Apple devices because most of the speed issues are outside my house.
    iqatedopscooter63
  • Reply 26 of 107
    $200 billion in the bank, 115,000 employees.

and nobody can design an aluminum monitor frame with an apple logo and stick a panel from another manufacturer in it.

and don't have enough people to keep staff on the highest rated router.

and can't update their MacPro line for 3+ years even though intel updated the CPU twice with the same socket

and can't update their other desktops for years.

iPhone design has stayed the same for the last 3 years

iWatch 2 has the same design, ooooh ahhhh, they added a gps and made it thicker.

What the heck have they done with 100k+ employees in the past few years.  How can companies a fraction of Apple's size and much more limited resources make more products and keep them all current.   Man, when the iPhone party is over, Apple is going to be in some serious trouble.
    blastdoorlarryjwtokyojimudurandal_1707
  • Reply 27 of 107
    Apple has been able to continue making and supporting their Airport product for years without really doing any updates / changes, because the recent AC routers work fine for most of their users. Sure, there are new mesh products out there now and speeds have increased significantly (if you're willing to deal with the spider-like antennae most of the competing products offer), but I think most people look at their ISP performance of say 25 to 50Mbps and ask themselves why they'd need 7.2Gbps wifi performance. I get that speeds on all fronts will continue to increase and it will become more important, maybe even critical for some, to have access to huge speeds, but I don't think we've hit that point yet. I'm totally satisfied with my previous generation Time Capsule and Airport Expresses, as we only have two iPhones capable of AC wifi connectivity, with all other devices still running N speed chips. And our ISP (Comcast) runs at 120Mbps, which is what we're getting on all devices throughout our space, so I can't really ask for more.
    randominternetperson
  • Reply 28 of 107
    Mikeymike said:
    blastdoor said:

People 'need' Logic.
    Nobody 'needs' an Apple display (which is just a rebadged LG or something anyway), or an Apple router.
    Why can't they do both like they have been doing for years?  Why is Apple hurting so bad that they need to cancel these products?
    blastdoortokyojimu
  • Reply 29 of 107
    And we have validated that Apple is discontinuing routers? I heard it on the internet? Let's get serious people...until Apple makes an announcement it is not true.
    They have yet to deny or explain it and that has been carried as news on a large number of reputable web sites for a week now.
    cornchip
  • Reply 30 of 107
    Mikeymike said:
    blastdoor said:

People 'need' Logic.
    But they do 'need' secure routers and that is the point of this news story.
  • Reply 31 of 107
    Apple is moving the developers off the Airport team and onto other projects... Apple is known to be doing home-automation/AI/AR research. How about the Airport expertise going onto one of these to ready them for release. Because they will all rely on WiFi to some extent they need the expertise but don't want to let the cat-out-of-the-bag just yet... So they are willing to let the rumors of the demise of the Airport group spread... then WHAM!!! Something bigger and better all wrapped into one!

Just a thought or perhaps a dream.
    spliff monkeycornchip
  • Reply 32 of 107
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,599member
    blastdoor said:
    melgross said:
    It seems as though Apple is getting the idea that the only products they want to have are major sellers that are iconic products. They don't want to deal with anything else such as monitors, routers, printers, etc.

thats a shame, because even a business the size of Apple needs products that sell in small numbers and for less sales dollars overall. I think this is a mistake. I read that Apple has only so many resources, etc, but that's nonsense. A company that's much smaller, but yet has many more products, such as Sony, also has much less resources, but manages to have numerous product lines.

the reason Apple doesn't persue more products is because they don't want to, not that they can't. An apparent step back is the auto business. If what we read is true, then Apple spendt a lot of money buying and leasing property, mostly for the purpose of coming out with a car, but because they though it would be difficult, they abandoned much of the project. This worries me. They need to do the most difficult things, not the easiest.
    I generally agree. 

In some ways they are starting to look like IBM -- running away from anything that's difficult. 

But I also suspect there's a uniquely Apple problem here which is that the way they are structured, there may very well be a shortage of a key resource: the attention of senior management. Their management structure was built around a CEO who wanted to weigh in on almost every single product they sold before it went out the door. That worked well 10 years ago when their CEO was a product genius and workaholic. I doubt that Tim Cook is trying to take on that role -- instead, it's probably Ive's job. But Ive is not Steve Jobs. He's a good designer, but that's just one aspect of making a great product. Jobs also had a pretty good intuition for the needs of a lot of his customers, he could "see where the puck is going", and he could see how all the products and features fit together into a coherent whole. I'm not sure Ive has that. Jobs was also very passionate about his work -- Ive seems bored. 

So I suspect that a big part of the reason that Apple is abandoning good products and markets is that Jony Ive just doesn't have the time or interest, and that leaves the products withering. Apple may need to figure out how to tweak their structure so that one guy (or a small number of guys) don't become major bottle necks. 

Yeah, there was that article recently which said that about the structure, I assume you are referring to that. But I don't agree. The way Apple works removes the dreaded fiefdom syndrome so many businesses have, where each product division fights for control and resources. Microsoft has had that problem for ages, and its only been addressed recently, after Ballmer left.

i believe that it's just a fear that making a product that isn't seen as the epitome of the industry will be seen as a failure on their part. This comes from Jobs. He made some mistakes, and discontinued them without ever trying to see why they failed and what could be done to reverse it. The Cube is a product that comes to mind. The round iMac mouse is another product like that, but Apple stuck with it for years. So they look at routers, and think that they "only" sell maybe $500 million a year, and that isn't enough to bother with, or they think they won't be able to have an iconic car, and so they drop that project.

when management gets together at their weekly meetings, they discuss this. I don't think the way the management is set up is the problem.
    edited November 2016
  • Reply 33 of 107
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,521member
    cali said:
    blastdoor said:
    blastdoor said:

Logic is no niche product. It is used in professional recording studios all over the world. 
    That sure sounds like a niche product to me. 

Ponder this:

1. What fraction of mac users use wifi and backup their files?
    2. What fraction of mac users work in a professional recording studio? 
    3. Which is more of a niche product -- AirPort/TimeCapsule or Logic? 
    Logic is Huge. Only 2nd to Pro Tools. 

What Apple can do is give away logic to every Mac user and give it more attention. Let Dr. Dre handle some of the engineering plug-ins and this program could easily take over Pro Tools which has had a ton of complaints lately. 

Allow logic and Final Cut Pro to integrate with each other seamlessly and in a few years you'll have 90% of media created on Apple hardware and software. 

It's kind of funny how you think logic is too niche well another poster said the same thing about Apple routers. 
    Ha -- so Logic isn't even first in its niche market? 

Perhaps there is a misunderstanding here about what "niche market" means. 
    jbishop1039kirkgraypscooter63
  • Reply 34 of 107
    grangerfx said:
    Letting the news get out that the entire development staff for the Airport routers have been reassigned without putting out an official statement on the matter is the first sign of serious problems in Apple's management. How do you create a smart AI based home hub that does not have at its core a completely secure network router? To do a good job of routing packets to VOIP or NetFlix streaming requires deep network packet sniffing on the local network and that requires very strong encryption on the router. Only a router can sense that there are insecure devices on the network such as Chinese IP cameras and firewall them. This is a disaster for local network security. Apple needs to tell its millions of customers how they are now supposed to secure their home networks. Who else but Apple would you trust with your most private data?
    First of all there is no real confirmation that this happened in a permanent manner is there? All hands on deck for another product launch doesn't mean they stay there. Also, could be that maybe they will turn the AppleTV into the base station? It is already the HomeKit Hub, why not be the network hub too? They are still selling the airports, so I won't believe it until I see the results with discontinued products and no replacement. I would expect any real exit from a segment like wireless base stations (and backup with time capsule) to be like what they did with displays by showcasing a partnership with a particular vendor that they have worked with to ensure a good experience with their products. Since they have done neither of those things we should wait to see.
    randominternetpersoniqatedocornchip
  • Reply 35 of 107
    grangerfx said:
    And we have validated that Apple is discontinuing routers? I heard it on the internet? Let's get serious people...until Apple makes an announcement it is not true.
    They have yet to deny or explain it and that has been carried as news on a large number of reputable web sites for a week now.
    At the same time this new's broke, a much smaller rumour that Johnny Ives was doing less work at Apple broke out.   Within hours, Apple squashed it saying the its not true.   The demise of the routers was not only posted on rumour sites but it was posted on almost every tech publication out there.  If management or staff can't spend 2 seconds to make a two word statement "not true" on a rumour that seriously affects the sales climate of an active/current product then I give them a fail.
  • Reply 36 of 107
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,817member
    blastdoor said:

Look I am sad the Airport line is going away, I have loved them since they came out.  But I have to defend Logic here!  You think Logic Pro X is niche?  Oh I suppose Aperture was too?  Apple's high end products may not sell in the same numbers but flagship products and pro users are IMHO important to the entire brand.
    edited November 2016 palomine
  • Reply 37 of 107
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,599member
    Very likely, Apple will never make an announcement. That's not their way. They will just discontinue the products with the information their retailers get every month, and the Apple stores will have the products removed at some point, and employees will be told that the products are discontinued.

but as for an actual announcement, it's doubtful. If it's correct that the engineers, both hardware and software, have been reassigned over time, then that's pretty good evidence. Maybe we'll see an Apple approved router series that Apple had some influence in, as we've seen with the new LG monitors.
  • Reply 38 of 107
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 1,108member
    seankill said:
    I was in the market for a new router about 2 months ago. Mine was frequently having operational issues. I almost bought an Apple router but finally elected to get a different brand. Glad I didn't buy an Apple if they will no longer be making them; I figured I would give this one to my brother and by an Apple router once they released a new one. Looks like I will not be doing that. My house is going to start looking less Apple-like in the future.

After electing to get the iPhone 7 because of the carrier promotions, my iPhone has crashed more times than any new iPhone I have ever owned (3G,4,5,6+). More so than my S7 for work. Generally, I am just using native iOS applications. Seems to be improving of late but Apple really seems to be getting sloppy. Just my mileage.
    I also have the iPhone 7 and have not had any experiences with it crashing. But I agree that quality control is deteriorating. It starte with the redesign of iOS 7. After that every major iOS update introduces new bugs that weren't there be for. Things like changing the orientation on my iPad cuts off half the screen, the status area at the top being overflowed by the app that is open, little UI things that add up and make everything sloppy. Getting rid of Scott Forstall was the first big mistake, that guy knew what he was doing. Now Apple is trying to release a new update on the same day every year that they aren't being thorough with perfecting the existing product. 
    palomine
  • Reply 39 of 107
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,817member

blastdoor said:
    mtbnut said:
    Reassign them to the AirPods division.  It needs help, apparently.

$200 billion in the bank. 115,000 employees. 

And are late delivering wireless f-ing earphones. 

In any other industry, that's a fail. But with Apple, it's "We're taking the time to make sure we're doing it right," and everyone nods in agreement. 

Nice job. 
    Agreed! 

Not only that, but by removing the audio jack from the iPhone, this delay ends up hurting their most important product. 

They should have released AirPods a year before they removed the audio jack. If people loved the AirPods, then there would have been a strong case to remove the jack. 

Something is wrong in Cupertino. 
    Just to be clear the audio 'out' is still there you just need the adapter that happens to be included in the box, so if Apple shipped them all ready connected  you'd not really know the difference!  Besides, in my world at least,  we now live in a wireless bluetooth era!  Heck even my surround sound system is wireless!
    randominternetperson
  • Reply 40 of 107
    bitmodbitmod Posts: 267member
    My ISP provides a top notch modem that does everything I need and more - and has been the most reliable modem i've ever had.
    Most hifi streamers are using top notch DAC's with built in Tidal, Spotify, have Airplay, iPod, USB, PCM, 3.5, RCA, Coax, and can play all formats from any source.
    Synology has the best and easiest NAS systems out there that blow away anything Apple could even dream of.

It's understandable that Apple get out of this market.
    randominternetperson