Apple having trouble syncing audio between wireless AirPods - report

Comments

• Reply 41 of 111
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,963member
    sog35 said:
    avon b7 said:
    linkman said:
    Good Lord. What engineer signed off on these things to be shown to the world before this MAJOR failure point was discovered? This is incredibly disappointing.
    Are you assuming that an engineer signed off for that to be done or do you have evidence?
    I think the point is that this product was clearly given the green light by someone and this kind of issue (if true) is impossible to discover after announcing the product. It is the kind is issue that gets resolved/detected at the start because it is a product requirement or if it isn't resolved, the fix is straightforward.

Perhaps a fix is almost here or perhaps not. Apple took a risk in announcing this product before ironing out the issues (minor or major) and when you take risks, you understand the consequences.
    You don't understand wireless technology if you think this kind of issue is impossible to discover after announcing the product.

There are literally dozens of bluetooth products that had to have a firmware update because of technical problems having to do with sync problems
    It isn't even necessary to understand wireless technology to understand that this rumoured issue was impossible to discover after it was announced unless they have very poor testing procedures.

This rumour centres on one of the fundamental requirements of the device. The ability to sync perfectly between the two Pods. If they couldn't overcome that technical hurdle from the outset, the product would literally be a non-starter.

Firmware updates to Bluetooth devices for syncing issues are largely due to compatibility issues with third party products, not sync problems between the same product
    edited December 2016 baconstangduervo
  • Reply 42 of 111
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member
    Since it is not a released product it can't be called a failure nor even turned into "syncgate" at this point.  At least they were honest with the reason they are having some delays. (updated per gatorguy's feedback) There are times when a bit of OCD is good to have...make it perfect before release.
    edited December 2016 StrangeDays
  • Reply 43 of 111
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,581member
    icoco3 said:
    Since it is not a released product it can't be called a failure nor even turned into "syncgate" at this point.  At least they were honest with the reason they are having some delays.  There are times when a bit of OCD is good to have...make it perfect before release.
    This isn't "Apple being honest" about reasons for the delay. The story is based on what the infamous someone-in-the-know says. 
    entropys
  • Reply 44 of 111
    stevehsteveh Posts: 480member
    williamh said:
    linkman said:
    Good Lord. What engineer signed off on these things to be shown to the world before this MAJOR failure point was discovered? This is incredibly disappointing.
    Are you assuming that an engineer signed off for that to be done or do you have evidence?
    Linkman: do you think companies usually announce a ship date for hardware before the development is done?
    After 35+ years working in Silicon Valley for a handful of major computer companies ... sure, it happens once in a while. Hardware (to say nothing of software) is wily, and prone to bite you when least expected, and sometimes glitches pop up after product has come off the line and into boxes for shipment.

How a company handles issues at that point is informative.
  • Reply 45 of 111
    rezwitsrezwits Posts: 896member
    I was amazed when they even "Claimed" they could do all the thing they said they would be able to do. I was wow, finally BT headphones that just do simply "Everything", except be black. :P
    Mikeymike
  • Reply 46 of 111
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,038member
    rezwits said:
    I was amazed when they even "Claimed" they could do all the thing they said they would be able to do. I was wow, finally BT headphones that just do simply "Everything", except be black. :P
    It's weird that they can't offer different color PSUs, charging cables, and Apple-branded headphones when most of their machines now have darker colors.
  • Reply 47 of 111
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member
    gatorguy said:
    icoco3 said:
    Since it is not a released product it can't be called a failure nor even turned into "syncgate" at this point.  At least they were honest with the reason they are having some delays.  There are times when a bit of OCD is good to have...make it perfect before release.
    This isn't "Apple being honest" about reasons for the delay. The story is based on what the infamous someone-in-the-know says. 
    I missed that when I read the article...brain at half speed today.
  • Reply 48 of 111
    jeffraabjeffraab Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    I have 10 different Sonos speakers throughout my house - all connected wirelessly - and the sound pairing is flawless (or imperceptible) between them.  Apple engineers should be able to figure this out.
    slprescottnetmage
  • Reply 49 of 111
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,386member
    holyone said:
    lank said:
    This makes sense. I have hearing aids that work with my iPhone. They are great in many ways. But, this is one issue, since they have separate connections things can get a little strange "between the ears" at times when listening to sound from my iPhone. I thought this was why the Beats earphones have a wire between them when the AI review of the Beats earphones asked for complete wireless. Be careful what you ask for. I hope they have a good solution. Bless those Apple engineers.
    Yeah, the kind of hellish time those guys would be having if SJ was hearing this. heads would be rolling.
    Under SJ the white iPhone 4 was delayed pretty much a full year with near-zero explanation, along with many other delays.  Stop pretending like if SJ was in charge everything would magically work out like clockwork, or that employee's fear of him would magically solve the most complex engineering problems. 
    StrangeDaysicoco3pscooter63roundaboutnow
  • Reply 50 of 111
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,386member
    sog35 said:
    This is why Timmy Cook is the CEO of Apple.
    The guy just gets it.

Instead of rushing a near perfect product, he demands a PERFECT product.
    good job Tim.

I just added $300 to my wallet. Hope its still there when these come out.
    I'm sorry, but what the fuck is wrong with you? From yesterday (and every single day before that):

What the hell has Tim Cook contributed to Apple since becoming CEO? 

The only new product he released was the Watch. Which so far has been a decent product but not lighting the world on fire like the iPhone/iPad/iPod did.
    The AppleTV has largely been a disappointment.
    The new iPads have not done much. Sales are still down about 40% from peak iPad.

I'd say the biggest thing Cook did was release a large iPhone, which anyone with half a brain knew was necessary. And its no coincedence that during the iPhone6 cycle was the only time Apple stock actually out performed the market.

Tim Cook has had 5+ years as CEO. He has failed. Plain and simple.
    So, what has changed between today and YESTERDAY for you to do a 180 on Cook? Enlighten all us who aren't familiar with how your constant insanity actually functions. Or do you share your account with multiple people?  Did you take your meds today? Are you conducting a social experiment You've been shitting on Cook like a rabid lunatic and now suddenly "The guy gets it"? For MONTHS you've ranted that the delay is yet more proof of Cook's incompetence, and now suddenly "it's a good thing, shows he cares about quality"? Why should anyone take anything you say seriously?

edited December 2016 SoliStrangeDayssuddenly newtontyler82netmagepscooter63apple jockeyMacsplosionsingularity
  • Reply 51 of 111
    yojimbo007yojimbo007 Posts: 1,165member
    It's so like Apple to make sure a product is ready before it ships. It's so unlike Apple to announce a product before its ready to ship. 
    Recently its not so unlike apple to announce and delay . If a fundamental technical issue of a product is not resolved ..why announce it! Consequently it makes me real concerned about Apples bigger picture ... i thought they would be years ahead in R&D.... and whats cooking in the pipeline... this to me is an indicatetion to the contrary .
    baconstangnetmage
  • Reply 52 of 111
    I highly doubt it's something as simple as "what to do when one dies before the other", and I don't think it's a L/R sync issue since some members of the press were allowed to test them for a week+ (such a glaring issue would have definitely come to surface.) This is also not Apple's first day at audio sync, nor is this all that difficult a task: there are plenty of airpod like devices on the market.

Instead it's much more likely something benign such as the production and logistics ramp up after finalising the device. I.E. Getting enough of these in stores world wide. (The preproduction units had some basic glitches typical for pre-production test devices, but none of the ones described by this source.)
    spliff monkeypscooter63
  • Reply 53 of 111
    I have Starkey Halo 2 2400's. I love them. These are actually my 2nd pair of Halos as I had the originals that were released in 2014. The Halo 2 is a much improved model. They use #13 batteries and I get about 6 days worth of power. I stream a lot! Prior to my Starkey's, I have Resound Lynx devices and switched due to the very poor app and the inability of the user to make any fine-tuning which I can do infinitum with my Halos. The one thing I will say is to make sure you find an Audiologist that knows how to use the Starkey fitting software Inspire. This is VERY important. 
  • Reply 54 of 111
    sog35 said:
    markiezyy said:
    Apple should just put these aside, while the technology behind it was some what impressive these pods will be a dud. They are too expensive, even when they release it the technology will still lag, and the last thing they need/want is a PR nightmare recalling these Airpods.
    They are not expensive.

Find me another wireless head phones that are:

1. True wireless. No wire between ear pieces.
    2. Have super easy and reliable pairing similiar to the W1 chip
    3. Have 6 hour battery life

Now find me one that sells for $159 or less? You won't find any.
    Okay, who are you, and what have you done with sog?
    SolibaconstangSpamSandwichnetmagepscooter63apple jockeyroundaboutnowwatto_cobra
  • Reply 55 of 111
    I hate this moronic nonesense that Apple does year after year. Why tease the world with a product only to have us wait for months on end before being able to pre-order it. Then have us wait until they are made and shipped, only to have others wait due to back orders and being out of stock, only to prolong the waiting period some more by "3-4 weeks" until your item FINALLY ships. It's the most idiot thing I've ever seen. 

Why not announce the latest iPhone and BAM, let all those share holders in attendance purchase one on their way out. Why not let all those watching freakin STOP WATCHING in order to go submit an order RIGHT NOW!!!! 

Why announce a game like Mario only to have everyone wait for months and months for the game to be released?! It's like me showing a candy to my child only to tell him that he can begin Licking it in a few months and finally let him eat the damn thing "3-4 weeks" after that. Absolute idiotism if you ask me. 

Auto manufacturers do the same freakin thing with cars. Morons. 
    duervo
  • Reply 56 of 111
    I went and rewatched the WORLDWIDE premiere of these POS's and couldn't help but LOL at the crap shown on the display about, and I quote directly from Apple's site - "Just take them out and they’re ready to use with all your devices. Put them in your ears and they connect instantly." <--- LMAO!!!!!  

"Simplicity and technology, together like never before. The result is completely magical." <--- LMAO!!!!

It's magical alright that many months later they still can't get the damn things to work AS ADVERTISED. Idiots. 

Its like the announcement was all CGI BS. I can just picture Apple's engineers smoking that cali grass they all seem to be on when they had A VISION for these air pods. I can see them throw connectivity ideas around about them connecting instantly, blah blah blah but now when it came time to actually deliver the product, that dream those morons had is in reality harder to achieve then their brains original imagined around the water cooler. Hahahahahahahahaha

duervo
  • Reply 57 of 111
    Ok.

But where the hell are BeatsX?? These are what I actually want.

Starting to think Apple is holding them back intentionally so as not to cannibalize would-be AirPods sales.
    mac_128
  • Reply 58 of 111
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    I highly doubt it's something as simple as "what to do when one dies before the other", and I don't think it's a L/R sync issue since some members of the press were allowed to test them for a week+ (such a glaring issue would have definitely come to surface.) This is also not Apple's first day at audio sync, nor is this all that difficult a task: there are plenty of airpod like devices on the market.

Instead it's much more likely something benign such as the production and logistics ramp up after finalising the device. I.E. Getting enough of these in stores world wide. (The preproduction units had some basic glitches typical for pre-production test devices, but none of the ones described by this source.)
    My thoughts exactly. I think it's the usual problem: component supply. 
    StrangeDayspscooter63
  • Reply 59 of 111
    I would think that when you have 10 AirPods in a household, it's so damn confusing which is which and which two are a pair. There will be 12 in my house. 
  • Reply 60 of 111
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,038member
    getvoxoa said:
    I would think that when you have 10 AirPods in a household, it's so damn confusing which is which and which two are a pair. There will be 12 in my house. 
    I would hope people don't just set down things they sit in their ears in random places around the house. When you're not using it put it in your pocket or its case to charge.
    netmage