Review: Using LG's UltraFine 4K Display with Apple's USB-C MacBooks is as simple as can be...

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 65
    The LG UltraFine 4K Display is available exclusively through Apple

Am I the only one that finds this bizarre? If it's an apple-only product, why didn't they brand it?
  • Reply 62 of 65
    > The LG UltraFine 4K Display is available exclusively through Apple

Am I the only one that finds this bizarre? If it's an apple-only product, why didn't they brand it?
    I assume availability will expand to other stores in the coming months. It just launched a few weeks ago, and it's possible that Apple has a limited window of retail exclusivity (this happens frequently for partner products).
  • Reply 63 of 65
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    nhughes said:
    Soli said:
    nhughes said:
    The only USB-C-related problem I have encountered that is not easily/cheaply resolved, with regards to connecting to/charging through a Mac, is Apple does not offer a USB-C Apple Watch charging cable.
    I expect something like this will appear for USB-C, at least to facilitate charging. You get 5 for under $5 on Amazon.

I absolutely loathe dongles and adapters. Regarding the Apple Watch, the only time I ever charge it via my Mac is while on the road — at home, I use a dock that's plugged into the wall. So it's a limited case scenario. But Apple could solve this quite easily by selling a $20 Apple Watch to USB-C cable.

Also, supposedly USB-C to HDMI cables are coming, as a standard for them was approved this September. 
    So a USB-C to HDMI cable would allow a new Mac Pro to send 5K to one of these monitors using the HDMI out port on the Mac ... right?
  • Reply 64 of 65
    Sorry if this is a daft question (novice that I am) but I was not able to find a clear answer elsewhere....I'm considering the LG 4K Display for my new 2016 MBP 13inch and as you suggest I want to use this with the MBP closed, wireless magic keyboad and track pad. To complete the set up can I use one of the three USB-C ports on the display to connect an external webcam and mic to support Facetime and other web conferencing when them Mac is closed and without having to plug  them into the MBP directly? 
  • Reply 65 of 65
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    JimFish said:
    Sorry if this is a daft question (novice that I am) but I was not able to find a clear answer elsewhere....I'm considering the LG 4K Display for my new 2016 MBP 13inch and as you suggest I want to use this with the MBP closed, wireless magic keyboad and track pad. To complete the set up can I use one of the three USB-C ports on the display to connect an external webcam and mic to support Facetime and other web conferencing when them Mac is closed and without having to plug  them into the MBP directly? 
    1) Yes, if the USB-C ports on your display support enough power for those peripherals, which is exceedingly likely.

2) If you're going to add a camera and mic, have you considered just getting a USB-C-capable display that has these built-in?
    JimFish