We become a place to belong 
    where everyone is welcome. 
    Everyone. 

We draw strength from our differences. 
    From background and perspective 
    to collaboration and debate. 
    We are open. 

We redefine expectations. 
    First for ourselves, then for the world. 
    Because we’re a little crazy. 
    Because “good enough” isn’t. 
    Because what we do says who we are. 

We find courage. 
    To try and to fail, 
    to learn and to grow, 
    to figure out what’s next, 
    to imagine the unimaginable, 
    to do it all over again tomorrow. 

AT OUR CORE 

We believe our soul is our people. 
    People who recognize themselves 
    in each other. 
    People who shine a spotlight 
    only to stand outside it. 
    People who work to leave this world better than they found it. 
    People who live to enrich lives.
  • Reply 42 of 58

I think the concentric circles work better than having "I work for the largest company in the world and all I got was this lousy T shirt".
    You obviously have no idea what it's like to actually work and enjoy it, to be part of a proud team and be given the opportunity to contribute to it. Being part of any company large or small is NOT what you GET, it's what you GIVE, and by giving you get the enjoyment of working and contributing. THAT'S the pay anyone gets, and if they don't appreciate that, then there's something fundamentally wrong with them. The t-shirt is a symbol of Apple's current prosperity. Its design wouldn't be the same without the sheer quantity of retail stores in the world. They didn't just happen. They represent, in part, the happy, dedicated contributions of all Apple employees each doing their respective jobs well, and in part by Apple's millions of customers who happily buy the company's products in volume, thereby financing this huge capital investment from only part of Apple's resulting profits.
    mac_128
  • Reply 43 of 58
    zonezone Posts: 74member
    The thing is almost everyone here does not have first hand knowledge and experience of what is going on. While Apple retail is most likely better retail experience that any other with all the benefits they do get the simple fact is that they do earn it. Its a hard job and anyone who thinks its easy is out of touch. A T-Shirt is not the appropriate gift period! I have a small business myself and I would never give my people a T-Shirt for the holidays. Come on? This is really simple to understand... and yes a set of air pods WHEN all customers demand has been meet would of been nice. Their cost has to at least half of the retail price not to mention the tax write off and people seeing the younger crowd using them. Everyone wins and thats the point. 

Also stop with if they don't like it leave crap, or its retail. So what your really saying its ok to take advantage of people and look down on them because of what? If you believe this your pathetic and part of the problem. Man I would hate to see how your treat people who are not in the same position as you. You probably one of these people who doesn't buy life insurance because when you die who cares what happens to your family. If it doesn't effect you then who cares right?
    rogifan_newmac_128
  • Reply 44 of 58
    zone said:
    The thing is almost everyone here does not have first hand knowledge and experience of what is going on. While Apple retail is most likely better retail experience that any other with all the benefits they do get the simple fact is that they do earn it. Its a hard job and anyone who thinks its easy is out of touch. A T-Shirt is not the appropriate gift period! I have a small business myself and I would never give my people a T-Shirt for the holidays. Come on? This is really simple to understand... and yes a set of air pods WHEN all customers demand has been meet would of been nice. Their cost has to at least half of the retail price not to mention the tax write off and people seeing the younger crowd using them. Everyone wins and thats the point. 

Also stop with if they don't like it leave crap, or its retail. So what your really saying its ok to take advantage of people and look down on them because of what? If you believe this your pathetic and part of the problem. Man I would hate to see how your treat people who are not in the same position as you. You probably one of these people who doesn't buy life insurance because when you die who cares what happens to your family. If it doesn't effect you then who cares right?
    It's pretty simple: Apple did it therefore it's ok. If anyone else did it people here would be slagging off whoever did it. Double Standard Central.
    singularity
  • Reply 45 of 58

It's pretty simple: Apple did it therefore it's ok. If anyone else did it people here would be slagging off whoever did it. Double Standard Central.
    I am one who was fortunate to have my own business much of my life. Small operation. I treated my employees well.

i had the luxury of having that choice. Not being a publicly traded company, you can, if you choose too,  step it up a little or a lot.

To say in this instance that 'Apple did it', as in something wrong, shady, disrespectful or cheap is to assume that they had a responsibility to give gifts, beyond the previously mentioned potential perks available to employees.

To me that is questionable. The Apple shirt, which looked in the picture to be of decent quality, would signify to me the oneness and purpose of the Apple community.  The Apple Credo would have significant meaning to me as an employee, and if I received a quality frame worthy Apple Credo, I would double matte it in a frame.

And later in life, look back and evaluate my experience there as an employee, to be one of positive or negative memories.

edited December 2016 mac_128
  • Reply 46 of 58
    awesome tee shirt .. I bet Jonathan fine tuned the asthetics (including creases) for at least 6 months :smile: 
    icoco3
  • Reply 47 of 58
    I work for a Fortune 100 company and didn't get squat.  I'd love to get this and would wear it often.  I appreciate a gift with meaning more than something with a little more monetary value.
  • Reply 48 of 58
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    zone said:
    The thing is almost everyone here does not have first hand knowledge and experience of what is going on. While Apple retail is most likely better retail experience that any other with all the benefits they do get the simple fact is that they do earn it.
    Given you don't have first hand knowledge either who are you to criticize other posters?

In my experience companies that gave out huge bonuses or gifts were largely underpaying employees or working them to death.  It's sorta nice to get that end of year check but I prefer a better work life balance or a fair wage to begin with.  

My employer is ranked pretty high in job satisfaction and we didn't get anything. A t-shirt with meaning (and not just the corporate logo) would have been cool to get.

mac_128
  • Reply 49 of 58
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    zone said:

No, it's not okay.

A t-shirt (which i don't think looks that great) and a bit of paper with the company statement on it? (It's a nice poetic statement, but at the end of the day, no one is going to frame it and put it one the wall of their flat, not even in the bathroom). 

This t-shirt is the corporate equivalent of the last-minute car dash on Christmas eve. It's almost as if Angela Ahrendts looked at her list and said, "Husband: check; kids: check; Tim: check; Jonny'll take his gift back for an exchange anyway, so I'll just get him a Store voucher, or maybe that meditation app he's always going on about; economy-sized hair wax and Paco Rabanne 'Silver Stag' cologne gift set for Craig; and sandals that won't squeak on the floor of the new build for Eddy. Okay I think that's every… CRAP! I forgot the 35,000 retail employees!"

And that bit of posh paper is the corporate equivalent of weird Uncle Ron getting everyone a framed picture of himself and thinking he's totally nailed it this Christmas.

In fact, these so-called "gifts" are so poor (especially compared to previous years), I have to entertain the possibility that they weren't the original plan and that Apple has messed up somewhere along the line.

I think it is entirely possible (and remember that I don't know any better than anyone else round here) that Apple had another gift in mind, but the gift in question hit problems (that again, we can only speculate on) and were not going to be available in large enough quantities for both the retail employees and Apple customers. The customers took priority, so Apple had no choice but to come up with something else – and fast. They didn't want to give out vouchers because they thought that would be impersonal and a little bit cynical; the alternative: an exclusive t-shirt and the company statement on posh paper. 

Woo hoo

:-(

I think the original plan was to hand out 35,000 pairs of Airpods as a gift to the retail staff, and they screwed it up.

I was trying to think of what they could have done instead. My first idea was that the piece of paper could have been a receipt that allowed them to walk into an Apple store and pick up a free pair of Airpods when they became more widely available. After a coffee, I realised that was a terrible idea (and they probably considered it) because the stores would have to deal with counterfeiting and the likelihood that the receipt had been lost, stolen or given to someone who wasn't actually an employee.

edited December 2016 apple jockeymac_128
  • Reply 50 of 58
    The largest and most profitable company in the world and they give employees a T Shirt? That is kind of sad.
    tallest skilthrowthathammac_128
  • Reply 51 of 58
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,658member
    I know it doesn't serve as an excuse, but the vast majority of publicly held companies completely cheap-out on all employee related discretionary expenses. I remember a time when companies held all-employee holiday parties, bosses took employees out to dinner (with their partners) for major service anniversaries, companies held periodic all-employee meetings with food and drinks, summer picnics, profit sharing, gift cards at Christmas, etc. All companies like to brag about "our people are our greatest asset." But this is really just a PR facade, total load of BS, and inside the boardroom it literally translates to "our human capital is our largest expense" and they take every measure to minimize this expense. They nip and prune benefits with the slightest little provocation, occasionally slash and burn, move job functions to lower cost locations, and do whatever they can to keep the human capital outlay as low as possible. Then they wonder why 70% of employees are not highly engaged in their job functions. Really!? From a directly observable perspective times have never been worse for employees and the 2008 crash took away any last little semblance of humanity and compassion for far too many companies. Everything that could be cut was cut and for the most part it never came back even when the market recovered. It's just like taxes, once the beneficiary gets used to the increased cash inflow from the tax or employee benefit reduction the tax/policy will never be rescinded. 

I would have loved to get the t-shirt. It beats the hell out of nothing, not even a "Happy Holidays to Our Human Capital Units" email.
  • Reply 52 of 58
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member
    Just give them a $5 gift card...most likely more than it cost them for the tea-shirt and letter.
  • Reply 53 of 58
    I wonder how many of them are already on Ebay? That's where mine is going.
    icoco3mac_128
  • Reply 54 of 58
    jSnivelyjSnively Posts: 433administrator
    nerak254 said:
    I wonder how many of them are already on Ebay? That's where mine is going.
    You should send it to us. We'll review it :smiley: 
    icoco3
  • Reply 55 of 58
    zonezone Posts: 74member
    dewme said:
    I know it doesn't serve as an excuse, but the vast majority of publicly held companies completely cheap-out on all employee related discretionary expenses. I remember a time when companies held all-employee holiday parties, bosses took employees out to dinner (with their partners) for major service anniversaries, companies held periodic all-employee meetings with food and drinks, summer picnics, profit sharing, gift cards at Christmas, etc. All companies like to brag about "our people are our greatest asset." But this is really just a PR facade, total load of BS, and inside the boardroom it literally translates to "our human capital is our largest expense" and they take every measure to minimize this expense. They nip and prune benefits with the slightest little provocation, occasionally slash and burn, move job functions to lower cost locations, and do whatever they can to keep the human capital outlay as low as possible. Then they wonder why 70% of employees are not highly engaged in their job functions. Really!? From a directly observable perspective times have never been worse for employees and the 2008 crash took away any last little semblance of humanity and compassion for far too many companies. Everything that could be cut was cut and for the most part it never came back even when the market recovered. It's just like taxes, once the beneficiary gets used to the increased cash inflow from the tax or employee benefit reduction the tax/policy will never be rescinded. 

I would have loved to get the t-shirt. It beats the hell out of nothing, not even a "Happy Holidays to Our Human Capital Units" email.
    Your right but it doesn't make it RIGHT. Look at Apple's profits. Its not like their not making money. I understand they don't owe the employees anything and they are public company responsible to the shareholders like me but I think its bad business to go this route. I believe its was over $50 Billion in profit for 2015 (we will see this year). Think about that! Are these retail employees responsible for any of this? Should they not be included in the success at some point. Should they not be rewarded? FYI don't say Apple not doing well. We all know that's BS...

I find that almost all of us here are employees to some extent and we can't even be giving to others. We are so brained washed into this line of thinking. Your attacking your own people? This is why we except low pay, almost no time off, maybe no health insurance? I mean how much money does Apple really need? Also Apple generated this with a very small workforce so this point is even more crazy. 
    edited December 2016 singularityRayz2016mac_128
  • Reply 56 of 58
    HoosierHoosier Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    This article says that Apple holds their retail employees in high esteem !!! What a joke. They are paid a pittance. No commissions. My fiance has been with them for 10 years. 2 years ago he was given an award for being the biggest go getter at the store. It was an old tennis shoe that the store manager had spray painted silver. WTF !!! Since all the employees love the products, but most cannot afford to buy them, then give them a gift card!! You would get the money right back. DUH stop being such tight wads !! Without your retail employees you would not have any stores.
    singularitymac_128
  • Reply 57 of 58
    dewme said:

There are several of them on eBay if you really want one. I don 't.
    mac_128
  • Reply 58 of 58
    Thisisnot Thisisnot Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    Thanks for taking 1000 hours worth of addional repairs on during the buissiest period, an frankly making it up as you go along for the last 9 months. Because we have absolutely no plan anymore. Here's our new overly vague credo on a card.