Security concerns force President Trump to ditch Android phone

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 28
    adamcadamc Posts: 583member
    What security? Putin already has a direct line to him. 
    baconstangsingularitytallest skillostkiwi
  • Reply 22 of 28
    TRUMP should only use a mobile phone 100% MADE IN USA! /s
  • Reply 23 of 28
    misamisa Posts: 827member
    nht said:
    macxpress said:
    gatorguy said:
    Android phones also accept MDM as a quick search would show. So yes the POTUS phone will still need a heavily modified operating system on a extremely limited function handset. 
    Android might accept MDM but its extremely limited in what they can do compared with iOS. You can completely lock down an iOS device with an MDM, even if the device it wiped when the device checks back into Apple to reactive, Apple's servers will point the divide back to the MDM for configuration. There is no way around this for any user that happens to get ahold of a device thats managed via MDM.

Since Android devices have many different versions of the OS it makes it very hard to manage a device (or devices) since some may not support certain features.
    Android MDM is more flexible than iOS.  You can lock out specific apps whereas in iOS it appears to be all or nothing.

Whether it's easier to break the MDM on Android is a different issue.

On Android I can lock up the Twitter app on my daughter's phone at will (which might be kinda a good thing on POTUS' phone too...).

On iOS not so much.
    That's the point. You don't want an Enterprise phone to be able to anything BUT what the Enterprise allows. So Android MDM is an after-thought.

Using it to mess with your kids is not what it is for. You're an adult, if your kid won't listen to you, just take the phone away. When your President won't stop tweet-storming like a baby, you can't just take it away.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 28
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    misa said:
    nht said:
    macxpress said:
    gatorguy said:
    Android phones also accept MDM as a quick search would show. So yes the POTUS phone will still need a heavily modified operating system on a extremely limited function handset. 
    Android might accept MDM but its extremely limited in what they can do compared with iOS. You can completely lock down an iOS device with an MDM, even if the device it wiped when the device checks back into Apple to reactive, Apple's servers will point the divide back to the MDM for configuration. There is no way around this for any user that happens to get ahold of a device thats managed via MDM.

Since Android devices have many different versions of the OS it makes it very hard to manage a device (or devices) since some may not support certain features.
    Android MDM is more flexible than iOS.  You can lock out specific apps whereas in iOS it appears to be all or nothing.

On Android I can lock up the Twitter app on my daughter's phone at will (which might be kinda a good thing on POTUS' phone too...).

On iOS not so much.
    That's the point. You don't want an Enterprise phone to be able to anything BUT what the Enterprise allows. So Android MDM is an after-thought.

Using it to mess with your kids is not what it is for. You're an adult, if your kid won't listen to you, just take the phone away. When your President won't stop tweet-storming like a baby, you can't just take it away.
    Nor will he be permitted to use ANY stock phone whether it's Apple's or anyone else's. MDM means absolutely zilch to the security folks tasked with securing his communications.  President Obama's approved phone was almost certainly NOT an iPhone despite the articles mention that it was. But some White House staff members CAN bring their properly secured iPhones to work. 
    edited January 2017
  • Reply 25 of 28
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    misa said:
    nht said:
    macxpress said:
    gatorguy said:

On iOS not so much.

No.  iOS MDM apparently doesn't allow you to block the running of certain apps that may be a risk.  Android MDM does.  The parental control apps on both platforms leverage the underlying enterprise MDM capabilities.

Screentime gives me the flexibility to control the apps my kids can run and how much time they spend on them without needing to manually manage their phones.  This is called using technology and not being a pompous blowhard that has no parenting experience.
  • Reply 26 of 28
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    nht said:
    macxpress said:
    gatorguy said:

On iOS not so much.
    I can tell you I have an iPhone from work they loaded MDM software on it and it has the ability   to limit all kinds of things on the phone. My company is only using it to control access to the company network and getting access to email. They just let you do everything else.
  • Reply 27 of 28
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    The POTUS phone needs unique hardware for encrypted voice communications.
    I seriously doubt when they do any important communication, they use ANY typical cell phone. It's probably more of a PDA and less important types of communication.
  • Reply 28 of 28
    There are no U.S. made smartphones anymore since Motorola got taken over by Lenovo!  Hopefully, Apple can bring back an iPhone assembly plant and hire some American workers.