Apple's 10th anniversary 'iPhone X' could cost more than $1,000 - report

Comments

• Reply 21 of 56
    wigbywigby Posts: 692member
    jbdragon said:
    Rumors are just that. Until there's a official announcement from Apple, I don't believe any of it. This far out they're still generally pretty wrong. Still like 7 months to go before they're released. As it gets closer to launch, more of the rumors turn out to be true, but this far away, no! Many of these rumors you hear year after year. Hey maybe it'll become true this year.
    Why is everyone criticizing this as a rumor? You're on a rumor site. What else do sites like this offer that a simple Google search couldn't if you don't care about Apple rumors? Since you're here, why not discuss the merits or likelihood of this rumor and why? 

This seems like a very un-Apple like rumor until you consider that Jony Ive is bored and also the man responsible for the 20th Anniversary Mac and gold Apple Watch Edition. The only part of this rumor that doesn't ring true to me is the price. I think it will be at least 3x or 4x more expensive than the most expensive iPhone and if it truly delivers on distance wireless charging, all glass design, integrated Touch ID behind screen, tiny or no bezel and possible AR features, I would easily pay $2000-$3000. It also seems obvious to me that the regular iPhone 8 models won't contain all or any of these advanced features so this will become the ultimate flagship edition. The high price allows Apple to retain their profits while also meeting the lower demand from such a high priced device. I don't see a downside except looking like a douche for shelling out thousands of dollars for a phone that does everything a much cheaper smartphone already does.
    king editor the gratedoozydozen
  • Reply 22 of 56
    I recognize that rendering! It's by Marek Weidlich 

https://www.behance.net/marekweidlich
    doozydozen
  • Reply 23 of 56
    irelandireland Posts: 17,799member
    Sog lecturing people on physics—we're all doomed.
    doozydozenking editor the grateSpamSandwichsingularityentropys
  • Reply 24 of 56
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    sog35 said:
    Inflation.

$650 in 2007.

In 2017 dollars that is $980
    That is a rather simplistic answer.

1. A 2007 iPhone had a max of 8 GB.
    2. Now they have developed more efficient and more economical production methods.
    3. Consumer electronics often get cheaper over time.
    4. If you are arguing inflation then you can only add 3 percent to this year's phone price. It is not retroactive. 
    5. iPhone 7 is still $650.

singularityireland
  • Reply 25 of 56
    williamhwilliamh Posts: 1,041member
    volcan said:
    sog35 said:
    Inflation.

$650 in 2007.

In 2017 dollars that is $980
    That is a rather simplistic answer.

1. A 2007 iPhone had a max of 8 GB.
    2. Now they have developed more efficient and more economical production methods.
    3. Consumer electronics often get cheaper over time.
    4. If you are arguing inflation then you can only add 3 percent to this year's phone price. It is not retroactive. 
    5. iPhone 7 is still $650.

Fair enough about iPhone 7 starting at $650.  However, if the iPhone X should come with storage similar to or greater than the high-end 7+, then it's just the next step up in price. I understand it's a high cost of entry, but it wouldn't be the new entry level model.
  • Reply 26 of 56
    williamh said:

Fair enough about iPhone 7 starting at $650.  However, if the iPhone X should come with storage similar to or greater than the high-end 7+, then it's just the next step up in price. I understand it's a high cost of entry, but it wouldn't be the new entry level model.
    Sure just like the Watch has several price points. I'm just pointing out that Sog's inflation theory doesn't hold water.
    singularity
  • Reply 27 of 56
    kevin keekevin kee Posts: 1,289member
    entropys said:
    Then people can choose which iPhone they want based on the size they want! Why not?
    Because logically size dictates the capacity for additional components within, such as additional lenses in iPhone 7+.
    StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 56
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    entropys said:
    At some point the increasing prices to grow margins will reach a point of failure.
    Not specifically for the particular product itself, but the zeitgeist on purchasing decisions in general (the old: "I didn't even look at Apple as its stuff is sooo expensive for what you get" even if it isn't true).

The worst part of this is the product segmentation with features reserved for the ludicrous sized model. Why can't we just get iPhone in three sizes which, battery aside, has as close as possible feature parity? Then people can choose which iPhone they want based on the size they want! Why not?

You know when Motorola came out with the Startac flip phone is was $1200 and Motorola sold lots of them and eventually the price dropped to $600. The think is some people will pay to have what everyone else wants and can not afford or justify spending that kind of money.
  • Reply 29 of 56
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Remember the 10th anniversary Mac? Unique design and price to match.
  • Reply 30 of 56
    Because I dislike Phablet size phones, I tire of the fact that the biggest phone gets all the goodies...If I want a bigger screen I grab my iPad, but I should be able to get all the features in a Normal size phone. For $1000, there better be way more goodies that just an OLED screen .....It's definitely not worth that much of a price hike...
  • Reply 31 of 56
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    wigby said:
    Why is everyone criticizing this as a rumor? You're on a rumor site. What else do sites like this offer that a simple Google search couldn't if you don't care about Apple rumors? Since you're here, why not discuss the merits or likelihood of this rumor and why? 
    Because on this site people tend to take rumors as the gospel truth. This rumor predicts a $1000+ iPhone and the naysayers storm the ramparts with predictions of failure.
    StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 56
    lkrupp said:
    Remember the 10th anniversary Mac? Unique design and price to match.
    I don't remember a 10th anniversary Mac.

20th, yes.
  • Reply 33 of 56
    lkrupp said:
    wigby said:
    Because on this site people tend to take rumors as the gospel truth. This rumor predicts a $1000+ iPhone and the naysayers storm the ramparts with predictions of failure.
    Yeah that's the really odd part. If people just saw these stories as rumors and left it at that it would make sense, but so many people get bent out of shape about random rumors...
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 56
    NY1822 said:
    good for Apple...the demand is there, especially if in limited quantities...they should start differentiating the price tiers bc there will always be people willing to pay to differentiate themselves
    Exactly.

• Reply 35 of 56
    oimorriganoimorrigan Posts: 1unconfirmed, member

Déjà vu: 

A thousand dollars in your pocket!

:)
  • Reply 36 of 56
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    I can believe the fingerprint scanner being behind the screen but no way will the front camera be embedded behind the screen. The screen would block light. 
  • Reply 37 of 56
    The rumours say that Apple was working on a teleportation device. Arguably, iPhone X is going to have the teleportation feature. 
    king editor the grate
  • Reply 38 of 56
    wigbywigby Posts: 692member
    jd_in_sb said:
    I can believe the fingerprint scanner being behind the screen but no way will the front camera be embedded behind the screen. The screen would block light. 
    Who cares. The screen brightness could easily compensate for light loss the way selfie mode already does. The real problem is the camera module layout. It would have to totally change if they really wanted to put it in the middle behind the screen. That takes a lot of shuffling inside the phone.
  • Reply 39 of 56
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    wigby said:
    jd_in_sb said:
    Who cares. The screen brightness could easily compensate for light loss the way selfie mode already does. The real problem is the camera module layout. It would have to totally change if they really wanted to put it in the middle behind the screen. That takes a lot of shuffling inside the phone.
    If the camera is behind the display, wouldn't there be missing pixels on the display - where the camera lens is?

• Reply 40 of 56
    jd_in_sb said:
    Apple has a patent for lenses between pixels. Not to say we’ve ever seen anything to suggest that sort of thing is even possible, but there’s a patent for it.
    patchythepiratewatto_cobra