Apple stock hits all-time high of $133.29, market capitalization approaching $700 billion

Comments

• Reply 21 of 43
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    ireland said:
    ireland said:
    Wish they were private. There'd be much less bullshit to focus on then and more on products, design, pricing and environment.

On another front, if they are indeed working on a car, and I think they are, Tesla have a huge lead over them technologically. And Tesla are also building a cohesive and comprehensive environmental solution where power can be generated, stored and used for home and transport in their or anyone else's vehicle—the needs of every person on Earth. With buses, trucks, pickups and all kinds planned. Apple better get a mooove on.
    Apple can easily partner for, or buy, these ancillary services.

Tesla's moves here have all the strategic logic of the equivalent of GM buying Exxon Mobil and petroleum storage tanks.
    A contradiction and a bad analogy.
    You are right, Ireland.  I'm sure my friend Anant meant to say that it would be equivalent if there were not tens of thousands of places already in existence to buy gasoline and if GM was on a crusade to help maintain a viable ecosystem by increasing the amount of atmospheric CO2.
  • Reply 22 of 43
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,896moderator
    Apple is under-valued because they do not talk up hype. Most of the hoopla around the FANG stocks involves executives and shareholders with pie in the sky visions of where the future will be. Google has their moonshots, Facebook talks about monetizing everything with ads, and Amazon with drone deliveries and endless AWS growth. If Apple wished, they too could throw jargon around like candy and see a stock bump. Apple prefers to only talk about products that are actually here and shipping as opposed to hyping future products that may or may not ever arrive.

Yup, and not hyping the stock has allowed Apple to buy back 20% of its shares at very reasonable prices. Doubleplusgoodness.
  • Reply 23 of 43
    ireland said:
    ireland said:
    Wish they were private. There'd be much less bullshit to focus on then and more on products, design, pricing and environment.

On another front, if they are indeed working on a car, and I think they are, Tesla have a huge lead over them technologically. And Tesla are also building a cohesive and comprehensive environmental solution where power can be generated, stored and used for home and transport in their or anyone else's vehicle—the needs of every person on Earth. With buses, trucks, pickups and all kinds planned. Apple better get a mooove on.

Tesla's moves here have all the strategic logic of the equivalent of GM buying Exxon Mobil and petroleum storage tanks.
    I think I could have worded the first part better: when I said "buy" I meant "outsource to others". In other words, Apple doesn't necessarily have to own the assets. 

Why is the GM/XOM analogy "bad"?
    edited February 2017
  • Reply 24 of 43
    quinney said:
    ireland said:
    ireland said:

You are right, Ireland.  I'm sure my friend Anant meant to say that it would be equivalent if there were not tens of thousands of places already in existence to buy gasoline and if GM was on a crusade to help maintain a viable ecosystem by increasing the amount of atmospheric CO2.
    You might wish to to check out all the pollution and gunk and rare earth minerals that go into battery manufacturing and disposal. And the subsidies with their very high implied carbon abatement prices that still flow into solar. 
  • Reply 25 of 43
    The power of buybacks is one big reason the fruit might continue higher.  Two years ago in late Feb, 2015 Apple closed at $133.  With over 5.8 billion shares outstanding at that time, its market cap was $775 billion.  

Today there are 5.25 billion shares outstanding.  That same $133 price calculates to a $697 billion market cap.  It's two years later, the company has a crapload more cash, a higher dividend that's going to be raised again next quarter, the potential for a repatriation tax holiday on the near horizon, and new markets opening up in India and elsewhere.  

Plus the EU Irish tax thing is substantially behind us, with the $13b in escrow and accounted for on Apple's balance sheet, new products like the Apple Watch, Pencil, iPad Pro, AirPods, Apple Music, Beats hardware, Apple Pay, all are new products that Apple didn't have two years ago, plus more new products coming and the tenth anniversary iPhone this year, etc, etc.  No wonder the stock's been running.
    Add to that the dividends which drop the price of the stock by the dividend price when issued.  That's 8 dividends at ~50 cents a piece = 4 bucks that you can add onto today's stock price.  

• Reply 26 of 43
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    macxpress said:
    ireland said:

I do too...I so wish Apple were a private company. They could solely focus on themselves and there wouldn't be all this BS every single day about Apple's high, Apple's low, Apple's doomed, etc. 
    I don't think Apple senior management are distracted too much by the share price movements. Lots of posters on AI are though...
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 27 of 43
    carnegiecarnegie Posts: 1,082member
    The power of buybacks is one big reason the fruit might continue higher.  Two years ago in late Feb, 2015 Apple closed at $133.  With over 5.8 billion shares outstanding at that time, its market cap was $775 billion.  

Today there are 5.25 billion shares outstanding.  That same $133 price calculates to a $697 billion market cap.  It's two years later, the company has a crapload more cash, a higher dividend that's going to be raised again next quarter, the potential for a repatriation tax holiday on the near horizon, and new markets opening up in India and elsewhere.  

Plus the EU Irish tax thing is substantially behind us, with the $13b in escrow and accounted for on Apple's balance sheet, new products like the Apple Watch, Pencil, iPad Pro, AirPods, Apple Music, Beats hardware, Apple Pay, all are new products that Apple didn't have two years ago, plus more new products coming and the tenth anniversary iPhone this year, etc, etc.  No wonder the stock's been running.
    And that market cap comparison is with Apple having returned $90 billion plus to shareholders over those 2 years. In round terms, Apple has returned more or less all of the profit that it has made in that time to shareholders. Its cash (and equivalents and marketable securities) holdings have continued to grow at an incredible rate, but its cash net of debt hasn't.
    cityguide
  • Reply 28 of 43
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,153member
    All time high?

Did time begin last year?

Because I seem to remember a high around 134 and 1/2. About two years ago. 
    I think $132.54 was the previous all-time high close, May 17, 2015.

I'm sure your memory is correct in that there was an intraday high around $134.50, but intraday highs aren't acknowledged as reference statistics.

That said, closing share price is just one measurement. I'm not convinced that one can make an informed assessment of a company without considering a bunch of other statistics: revenue, gross profit, net profit, cash, debt, dividend payouts, COLA/inflation, etc.

• Reply 29 of 43
    mtbnut said:
    Hmmm, not liking it. My top-secret predictions were hoping for a $153.24 stock price by today. Given that, I give Apple about 30 days before they're ultimately doomed. 
    30 days before what?
    They go into Chapter 11 or 7?
    They get taken over?
    They just shut up shop and stop trading?

Please tell us what you mean. I'm sure that you would have an interested audience willing to learn what you mean.
  • Reply 30 of 43
    eightzero said:
    This is all Tim Cook's fault.
    Yeah the bastard. Sack him! /s
  • Reply 31 of 43
    SteveMun80SteveMun80 Posts: 6unconfirmed, member
    I wonder how will this affect me as an end user.
  • Reply 32 of 43
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,817member
    I wonder how will this affect me as an end user.
    Hopefully such a hugely profitable company such as Apple will be around a long time making amazing products for you.  How's that for an answer?  I've got a tip for you.  If you are not a share holder or not interested in AAPL in general, don't bother reading articles with headlines mentioning the status of AAPL.
    edited February 2017
  • Reply 33 of 43
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,903member
    brucemc said:
    macxpress said:
    ireland said:

I do too...I so wish Apple were a private company. They could solely focus on themselves and there wouldn't be all this BS every single day about Apple's high, Apple's low, Apple's doomed, etc. 
    I don't think Apple senior management are distracted too much by the share price movements. Lots of posters on AI are though...

Well when Apple starts making money like its making everyone thinks they deserve their share of it. So all investors are worried about (and not just AI users) is the god damn stock price. So, they'll do anything to make sure Apple keeps making the money its making and god forbid they have a quarter where its lower than a year ago. I mean gosh, if Apple only made $10 Billion in stead of $15-20 Billion thats an absolute tragedy!!! Then, lets all panic and wish Steve were here, Tim needs to be fired, there's no new products, etc, etc. 

Bottomline, if Apple were more private nobody (including Apple) would have anything to worry about. Not that I like this when Steve was here crap, but I do hope that Apple has the same mentality of not really giving two shits about their stock price. If you do good things the stock price will take care of itself. If you sit there and worry about keeping your stock price up all the time your company will go straight to the crapper! I hope that Apple isn't doing just this...doing things to make create profits just to make sure the stock price is up instead of doing the right thing, or doing something the right way even if it means not making quite as much profit on it. 
  • Reply 34 of 43
    ireland said:

Planning on products is the easy part. Implementing them, and doing so at a profit, is the hard part. We're early and it's still anybody's game, without a doubt.
    edited February 2017
  • Reply 35 of 43
    AAPL got within $0.15 of its all-time intraday high (of $134.54) a little while ago. It's pulled back a tad now, but it's still within striking distance of that all-time high.

Will it move above that mark today?
  • Reply 36 of 43
    So the answer to that last question was to be yes... AAPL has now set a new intraday high.
  • Reply 37 of 43
    carnegie said:
    So the answer to that last question was to be yes... AAPL has now set a new intraday high.
    Just smashed the previous all time high! The sky is the limit.
  • Reply 38 of 43
    sog35 said:
    Buffet just TRIPLED his holdings in Apple.

From about $2 billion to $7 billion in stock. wow.
    Berkshire Hathaway nearly quadrupled its holdings of AAPL in the fourth quarter of last year, going from about 15 million to about 57 million shares. Those holdings have a current value near $8 billion.
  • Reply 39 of 43
    sog35 said:
    Buffet just TRIPLED his holdings in Apple.

From about $2 billion to $7 billion in stock. wow.
    Not Buffet buying Apple, but one of his possible successors. Buffet typically shies away from tech, his holdings tend toward simpler, less complicated investments.
  • Reply 40 of 43
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,599member
    quinney said:
    ireland said:
    ireland said:

You might wish to to check out all the pollution and gunk and rare earth minerals that go into battery manufacturing and disposal. And the subsidies with their very high implied carbon abatement prices that still flow into solar. 
    And the tens of billions in subsidies, both direct and indirect the fossil fuel industry gets every year from our government, the gunk from battery manufacture is minor. The pollution from coal is literally killing us. There's no comparison.