Apple stock hits all-time high of $133.29, market capitalization approaching $700 billion

Posted:
in AAPL Investors edited February 2017
At the close of the market on Monday, Apple hit an all-time high of $133.29, breaking the previous record set on May 22, 2015, with market capitalization again flirting with $700 billion.

Apple stock continues to be buoyed by a stronger-than-expected quarterly earnings report. The earnings report was led by the blockbuster debut of the iPhone 7 series and Services revenue, with Apple reaping a record-setting $78.4 billion in revenue and $17.9 billion in net profit.

The climb has taken nearly two years, with the last peak of $132.54 hit at the close of business in May 2015. Today's surge was aided by a pair of reports on Monday morning, claiming that Apple's Services revenues were undervalued by investors, with one claiming that the stock was undervalued by as much as 10%.

Defying post-quarterly earnings report trends, Apple stock rose over $7 on Feb. 1, the day after the Apple quarterly earnings report, and has not fallen below $128.53 since Feb. 2.

Thursday's peak may not be the end of the tale, however. Analyst Ben Schachter of Macquarie predicts the highest 12-month valuation for Apple out of all the analysts at $156. In a note to investors, Macquarie said that the continues growth of Apple's "Services" business should command more attention going forward, and continue to propel Apple profits.

Other investors are less bullish, but still expect to see Apple climb to between $140 and $150 per share in fiscal year 2017.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 43
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Wish they were private. There'd be much less bullshit to focus on then and more on products, design, pricing and environment.

On another front, if they are indeed working on a car, and I think they are, Tesla have a huge lead over them technologically. And Tesla are also building a cohesive and comprehensive environmental solution where power can be generated, stored and used for home and transport in their or anyone else's vehicle—the needs of every person on Earth. With buses, trucks, pickups and all kinds planned. Apple better get a mooove on.
    edited February 2017 macxpress
  • Reply 2 of 43
    Enjoying this stock bump. Good times. 
    radarthekatjagnut
  • Reply 3 of 43
    All time high?

Did time begin last year?

Because I seem to remember a high around 134 and 1/2. About two years ago. 
    trashman69SpamSandwichmonstrosityireland
  • Reply 4 of 43
    carnegiecarnegie Posts: 1,077member
    All time high?

They're referring to an all-time high closing price.
  • Reply 5 of 43
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,056member
    This is all Tim Cook's fault.
    dangermouse2trashman69SpamSandwichibillSoli[Deleted User]equality72521MacPro
  • Reply 6 of 43
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    All time closing high, I believe, was $133.55.
  • Reply 7 of 43
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    sog35 said:
    All time high?

All time high Close (price at end of day)

$700 billion is impressive. But if you take out Net Cash its actually worth less than Google.
    Actually, not if you do the same with Alphabet.  Apple's net cash is ~$150B ($246B-$90B debt with a bit of rounding down).  So Apple's value - net cash is ~$547B.  Alphabet's valuation is $575B, but they have ~$80B net cash, so Alphabet - net cash =~ $495B.

Of course, one is doing it with a P/E of 16, and the other a P/E of 30...(P/E's not calculated excluding cash).

Solinetmagepatchythepirateradarthekatr00fus1stardustagcityguide
  • Reply 8 of 43
    ireland said:
    Wish they were private. There'd be much less bullshit to focus on then and more on products, design, pricing and environment.

I do too...I so wish Apple were a private company. They could solely focus on themselves and there wouldn't be all this BS every single day about Apple's high, Apple's low, Apple's doomed, etc. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 43
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    sog35 said:
    All time high?

$700 billion is impressive. But if you take out Net Cash its actually worth less than Google.
    Cash is always part of an evaluation. But Apple is underwalued. They most always have been.
    r00fus1
  • Reply 10 of 43
    macxpress said:
    ireland said:

I do too...I so wish Apple were a private company. They could solely focus on themselves and there wouldn't be all this BS every single day about Apple's high, Apple's low, Apple's doomed, etc. 
    Obviously Apple saw value in becoming a publicly held company, otherwise they wouldn't have done it.
  • Reply 11 of 43
    macxpress said:
    ireland said:

Obviously Apple saw value in becoming a publicly held company, otherwise they wouldn't have done it.
    Yeah back in the 80's....
    monstrosity
  • Reply 12 of 43
    ireland said:

On another front, if they are indeed working on a car, and I think they are, Tesla have a huge lead over them technologically. And Tesla are also building a cohesive and comprehensive environmental solution where power can be generated, stored and used for home and transport in their or anyone else's vehicle—the needs of every person on Earth. With buses, trucks, pickups and all kinds planned. Apple better get a mooove on.
    Apple can easily partner for, or buy, these ancillary services.

Tesla's moves here have all the strategic logic of the equivalent of GM buying Exxon Mobil and petroleum storage tanks.
  • Reply 13 of 43
    fallenjt_Newfallenjt_New Posts: 10unconfirmed, member
    sog35 said:
    All time high?

You're no longer complaining? Well, I just felt bad that I sold all my stocks at $118. If I kept it until now, I got 4x more gain, but it's ok. I made my money and got out of athe most manipulated stock!
  • Reply 14 of 43
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    The power of buybacks is one big reason the fruit might continue higher.  Two years ago in late Feb, 2015 Apple closed at $133.  With over 5.8 billion shares outstanding at that time, its market cap was $775 billion.  

Today there are 5.25 billion shares outstanding.  That same $133 price calculates to a $697 billion market cap.  It's two years later, the company has a crapload more cash, a higher dividend that's going to be raised again next quarter, the potential for a repatriation tax holiday on the near horizon, and new markets opening up in India and elsewhere.  

Plus the EU Irish tax thing is substantially behind us, with the $13b in escrow and accounted for on Apple's balance sheet, new products like the Apple Watch, Pencil, iPad Pro, AirPods, Apple Music, Beats hardware, Apple Pay, all are new products that Apple didn't have two years ago, plus more new products coming and the tenth anniversary iPhone this year, etc, etc.  No wonder the stock's been running.
    amarkapericthehalfbeebrucemcpscooter63
  • Reply 15 of 43
    You're no longer complaining? Well, I just felt bad that I sold all my stocks at $118. If I kept it until now, I got 4x more gain, but it's ok. I made my money and got out of athe most manipulated stock!
    I wish they would start manipulating it again like the good old days. The wild dips and peaks were a doddle to second guess. Not so easy since Apple started the dividend and buying their own stock.
  • Reply 16 of 43
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    At the current share price, Apple's dividend yields 1.71%.  To get it back to a 2% yield, Apple would need to raise the dividend by 17%, from $2.28/year to about $2.64; from 57 cents per quarter to 66 cents.  That would be sweet, and Apple might just consider it.  The company has already been raising by 10-11% each year, so it's not a stretch to imagine they might bring it back to a 2% yield with a 17% increase.  And the higher the stock goes, the more the divvy would need to be raised to achieve a 2% yield.  
  • Reply 17 of 43
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    ireland said:

Apple can easily partner for, or buy, these ancillary services.

Tesla's moves here have all the strategic logic of the equivalent of GM buying Exxon Mobil and petroleum storage tanks.
    A contradiction and a bad analogy.
    edited February 2017
  • Reply 18 of 43
    Apple is under-valued because they do not talk up hype. Most of the hoopla around the FANG stocks involves executives and shareholders with pie in the sky visions of where the future will be. Google has their moonshots, Facebook talks about monetizing everything with ads, and Amazon with drone deliveries and endless AWS growth. If Apple wished, they too could throw jargon around like candy and see a stock bump. Apple prefers to only talk about products that are actually here and shipping as opposed to hyping future products that may or may not ever arrive.
    radarthekatpscooter63
  • Reply 19 of 43
    Hmmm, not liking it. My top-secret predictions were hoping for a $153.24 stock price by today. Given that, I give Apple about 30 days before they're ultimately doomed. 
  • Reply 20 of 43
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,258member
    ireland said:

I'd like to see Apple as a 100% ESOP. 

Otherwise, I see no real advantage to them being private. I certainly wouldn't want them owned by a small group of equity slime bags.