AirPods vs. Powerbeats3: Which Apple W1 headphones are better for working out and exercisi...

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 27
    Is there a reason why Apple couldn't have the right AirPod activate siri and the left one control volume or song skipping/back?  Or vice versa.
  • Reply 22 of 27
    tiger2 said:
    Is there a reason why Apple couldn't have the right AirPod activate siri and the left one control volume or song skipping/back?  Or vice versa.
    You could... but I tend to use them mostly to listen to books and podcasts and as such I only use one at a time, sometimes alternating if one runs low and I switch to the fully charged one.

Having one behave differently from the other would be a pain.
  • Reply 23 of 27
    hmlongco said:
    tiger2 said:
    You could... but I tend to use them mostly to listen to books and podcasts and as such I only use one at a time, sometimes alternating if one runs low and I switch to the fully charged one.

Having one behave differently from the other would be a pain.
    Okay, I have to say I never use just one, so this didn't occur to me.  

Maybe in the settings you could choose to have them function the same or different.  If different, you could set which one controlled Siri and which one volume.  Or, one for volume, one for skipping/ going back. 
  • Reply 24 of 27
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    Rayz2016 said:
    Since we're doing unverifiable anecdotes, I thought I'd add one of my own:

Had my PowerBeats3 since just before Christmas, and I average about 3 gym sessions a week, and an occasional run. The headphones have behaved themselves perfectly, once I figured out that I need to put my phone in Airplane mode to stop the headphones connecting to it (stored in a locker in the changing room on the lower floor – the range of these things is insane, and not always helpful.)

I would advise folk to give them a try to see if they suit. 

I'm sure I'm just being dense, but could you please clarify what you're talking about with needing to use Airplane mode? Are you saying that the headphones connect to the phone while they're both in the locker? Why do you ever want to prevent them from connecting -- don't you need the connection to stream the music? And do you need Airplane mode while working out -- wouldn't you not be able to check Facebook while working out (the horror!)? Thanks!

No you're not being dense, those are good questions. 

I take my iPhone to the gym along with my Apple Watch. I don't need to check Facebook every ten minutes so I can leave the phone in the locker. Unfortunately, the headphones always seem to favour connecting to the phone over the watch, even when the phone is a hundred feet away and the watch is on my wrist. I get round this by putting the phone in Airplane mode before locking it away. I don't need the phone to stream music because I have my workout playlist stored on my watch. 

I could actually  just let the headphones stay connected to the phone while it's in my locker, but I will get dropouts when I move another few feet to the free weights area, so I rely on the Apple Watch. 

In short, I don't like taking an expensive phone into the gym. And I don't live on Facebook. 

Incidently, a friend of a friend of mine had an accident checking his social media account while using a running machine. Now every time he looks at his phone, someone asks him if he's updating his FacePlant status. 

Dont be that guy. 
    edited February 2017
  • Reply 25 of 27
    How could this comparison NOT include the recently released BeatsX? How does this reviewer apparently conclude that they're "not really suited" for workouts without even giving a reason why? I've used BeatsX at the gym since their day of release, and while they certainly have their pros and cons vs PB3 and Airpods, they belong on any list of wireless 'phones being considered for workout use. Here's my thumbnail review: PROS: 1) Their "Fast Fuel" tech alone (2 hours of use from a 5 min charge), which PB3 lacks, is a great reason to consider them if you've ever reached for rechargeable 'phones to start your workout and found the battery dead. 2) Better fit and isolation for a broader range of people vs. PB3 and AirPods. 3) Small, nearly invisible wingtips provide an even more secure fit if needed (I use them) without the big ear hook look of the PB3. 4) Sound signature is more balanced (less bass heavy) vs. PB3. Depending on your taste, you may see this as a pro or con. CONS: 1) Very microphonic cabling could be a deal breaker for runners. Even walking on the street, there's a thump that gets transmitted into my ears with each step. 2) Cabling is somewhat longer than it needs to be, and one side seems to stick out at odd angles from my face. 3) Power button is foolishly tiny and takes a while to master by feel alone. 
  • Reply 26 of 27
    charlesn said:
    How could this comparison NOT include the recently released BeatsX? How does this reviewer apparently conclude that they're "not really suited" for workouts without even giving a reason why? I've used BeatsX at the gym since their day of release, and while they certainly have their pros and cons vs PB3 and Airpods, they belong on any list of wireless 'phones being considered for workout use. Here's my thumbnail review: PROS: 1) Their "Fast Fuel" tech alone (2 hours of use from a 5 min charge), which PB3 lacks, is a great reason to consider them if you've ever reached for rechargeable 'phones to start your workout and found the battery dead. 2) Better fit and isolation for a broader range of people vs. PB3 and AirPods. 3) Small, nearly invisible wingtips provide an even more secure fit if needed (I use them) without the big ear hook look of the PB3. 4) Sound signature is more balanced (less bass heavy) vs. PB3. Depending on your taste, you may see this as a pro or con. CONS: 1) Very microphonic cabling could be a deal breaker for runners. Even walking on the street, there's a thump that gets transmitted into my ears with each step. 2) Cabling is somewhat longer than it needs to be, and one side seems to stick out at odd angles from my face. 3) Power button is foolishly tiny and takes a while to master by feel alone. 
    A separate comparison of AirPods and BeatsX is forthcoming. I don't own the BeatsX, so I can't vouch for them, but our own reviewer did affirm to me they wouldn't be a good fit for workouts because of the on-the-neck style.

Also, Powerbeats3 include the same Fast Fuel charging as BeatsX. One hour of battery life after five minutes of charging.
  • Reply 27 of 27
    nhughes said:
    A separate comparison of AirPods and BeatsX is forthcoming. I don't own the BeatsX, so I can't vouch for them, but our own reviewer did affirm to me they wouldn't be a good fit for workouts because of the on-the-neck style.

Also, Powerbeats3 include the same Fast Fuel charging as BeatsX. One hour of battery life after five minutes of charging.
    I look forward to seeing that next article, and I stand corrected on the PB3 and Fast Fuel tech. That said, the idea that the small bit of cable laying on your neck would make BeatsX unsuitable for workouts is just ridiculous. Literally BILLIONS of people have worked out with fully wired headphones and earphones since the earliest days of MP3 players--and now ten inches of flat cable laying comfortably and neatly around your neck is a deal breaker?