Apple's 'iPhone 8' may not use curved OLED due to production problems

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 32
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    sog35 said:
    I'm loving these rumors.

Apple hit all time highs this morning and I sold a bunch of stock.

Thanks Tim Cook!  

I only hold about 30% of the shares I had just a couple months ago.  Went from $90 to $136.  

This guy is painful.
    waverboy
  • Reply 22 of 32
    Just so everyone is clear, Apple never planned to put a curved display into an iPhone. Analysts idiotically thought they would and now they are trying to back out of that false claim so they don't look like morons and are never listened to again. 

Apple would never ever put a curved display in an iPhone. Only because of physics though. Like oh, you know, the physics of light traveling through curved glass. That pesky thing known as refraction. Also that pesky thing known as reflection of ambient light off of the curved surface above the display. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 32
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    Ok, here is how it works. 

1.  Report new iPhone features with no solid proof
    2.  Report reason why previous features won't come to pass, because of 'production issues'

welcome to the rumour mill. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 32
    Although Apple's upcoming "iPhone 8" is expected to offer a 5.15-inch AMOLED screen with a 2K resolution, the company is dropping plans to make it curved because of problems discovered in testing, a research firm said on Tuesday.

So the thing analysts said would happen isn't gonna happen despite Apple never having said it would happen? And rather than it never being a real thing now Apple's "dropping" it?

lol
    The article doesn't say when the "problems discovered in testing" were discovered. It could have been discovered months ago, and only now is the anecdote surfacing.
  • Reply 25 of 32
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    Also, the curved screen is a bit if a nightmare, just ask Samsung. It's a known issue that small fragments of dirt along the curved edge can cause chips and cracks. Why expose your company to recorded risks. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 32
    Regardless.. those bezels better be gone or reduced to almost nothingness.. or iphone will look JURASSIC compared to what the competition is putting out. ... It will be as embaressing as the 'planet of apps'and the 'karaoke' efforts.... Hope this is bogus news/rumor intended distract attention from the new iphone and invigorate intetest in the present 7
  • Reply 27 of 32
    sog35 said:
    sog35 said:
    I'm loving these rumors.

Thanks Tim Cook!  

I only hold about 30% of the shares I had just a couple months ago.  Went from $90 to $136.  

You keep insisting AAPL will hit $150. Why would anyone sell now if they "knew" they'd make another $14 per share? Dude, your inconsistencies are showing.
    Because I'm not greedy and no one is infallible. 

Like I said I still hold a 30% position in Apple.

I think there is about a 80% chance Apple hits $150 this year. But it could also drop to $120. I'd rather just lock in some profits now.

Its to risky to have more than 5% of your investments in one stock. After I sold most of my Apple Shares, my Apple position is not as overweight as before.  I've held an overweight position in Apple for over 4 years. 

$150 is only a 10% gain from where we are now. It isn't such a big jump. When the stock was $90-$120 it was a no brainer to hold, even if it meant greater concentration risk. At this point its not worth having a overweight position in AAPL.
    So... you're scraping off short-term nickles and dimes, meanwhile a good number of people here bought and held over a very long time period and are now millionaires thanks to Apple. There ya go. I'm not in the least bit surprised.
    edited February 2017
  • Reply 28 of 32
    Got to love how AI allows NO COMMENTS on yet ANOTHER anti-Trump Editorial. How lame, and so tired of this. Markets are at an all time high, the economy is on the upswing and confidence is higher than ever with the new administration than the last 8 years! No I did not vote for Trump OR Clinton, but there has been more positive than negative with the new administration.
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 29 of 32
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    ireland said:
    sog35 said:
    I'm loving these rumors.

Thanks Tim Cook!  

This guy is painful.
    I have a question for AppleInsider:

I put Sog35 in my "Ignore posts" list, but he still shows up if he's the first to post in a thread. Is this intended behaviour?
  • Reply 30 of 32
    ireland said:
    sog35 said:
    I'm loving these rumors.

Thanks Tim Cook!  

This guy is painful.

Yeah, just put him on the Ignore list. You don't see his posts and, more importantly, I don't see them since I already have him on my Ignore list!
  • Reply 31 of 32
    sog35 said:
    sog35 said:
    I'm loving these rumors.

Thanks Tim Cook!  

You keep insisting AAPL will hit $150. Why would anyone sell now if they "knew" they'd make another $14 per share? Dude, your inconsistencies are showing.
    Because I'm not greedy and no one is infallible. 

Like I said I still hold a 30% position in Apple.

I think there is about a 80% chance Apple hits $150 this year. But it could also drop to $120. I'd rather just lock in some profits now.

Its to risky to have more than 5% of your investments in one stock. After I sold most of my Apple Shares, my Apple position is not as overweight as before.  I've held an overweight position in Apple for over 4 years. 

$150 is only a 10% gain from where we are now. It isn't such a big jump. When the stock was $90-$120 it was a no brainer to hold, even if it meant greater concentration risk. At this point its not worth having a overweight position in AAPL.

I also recently sold majority of my position in Apple at $134.  Because I bought at a high, I only made about 6-8% over two years, but now I only have a small position.  It was one heck of a ride these past two years and watching my holdings decrease over 20%...but I held on.   To be honest, I never thought I would ever break even let alone make a profit.   Anyway, I did something no one should do and that is I held all my position in Apple only (again, because I believe in the company and use their products).  Well, that is not smart and way too risky.  So after selling, I now only hold 20% in Apple.  I feel good.    And like you...I'm not greedy.  I'm quite happy with my 6-8%...it is better than the -20%!!! :)

I think we will retest the $125-$128 waters with Apple in the near future.  I may increase my position or may instead buy a technology ETF so I'm diversified in Tech.