Apple's 'spaceship' Campus 2 to officially be known as Apple Park, 175-acre HQ to open in ...

Comments

• Reply 41 of 69
    I think the video was great!.  Really looking forward to some official Apple videos of the entire process.
  • Reply 42 of 69
    You'd think they would have updated Apple Maps with the correct name.  Just searching for Apple Park takes me to a location in Utah, while entering Apple Campus 2 takes me straight to Apple Park.
    patchythepirate
  • Reply 43 of 69
    ireland said:
    Knew it! Said it from day one the AC2 was a terrible name. Felt there had to be a name change coming before the ribbon ceremony. Most around here tried to argue with me that AC2 was a good name—the arguments were weak.

Since they hadn't name it before, there was no such thing as a name change. Saying that, I like the name Apple Park, simple and subtle. SJ Auditorium on the other hand... Anyway I am glad they open small part of it for public. 
    edited February 2017 ronn
  • Reply 44 of 69
    A question that remains unanswered is when will the complete spaceship office be finished? Apple's press release says 12,000 staff will start to move in April and that it will take more than six months to move them all. Logistically a phased move makes sense for managing the staff and office resources but it could also be required if the building is finished in phases. For example, the building could be handed over in quarters every two months. If that example was correct then the complete building would not be finished until around November.
  • Reply 45 of 69
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    kevin kee said:
    ireland said:
    Knew it! Said it from day one the AC2 was a terrible name. Felt there had to be a name change coming before the ribbon ceremony. Most around here tried to argue with me that AC2 was a good name—the arguments were weak.

Since they hadn't name it before, there was no such thing as a name change.
    Don't be cute. What's this MacRumors logic. They've been calling it Apple Campus 2 for three years. They've had brochures made. They've invited locals to see it. It's always been called AC2. Thankfully now that they are ready to open it they are announcing a different name. Call it what you will, but ask anyone before today what it was called and nobody would say it doesn't have a name yet.
    edited February 2017
  • Reply 46 of 69
    dachar said:
    A question that remains unanswered is when will the complete spaceship office be finished? Apple's press release says 12,000 staff will start to move in April and that it will take more than six months to move them all. Logistically a phased move makes sense for managing the staff and office resources but it could also be required if the building is finished in phases. For example, the building could be handed over in quarters every two months. If that example was correct then the complete building would not be finished until around November.
    October at the latest, but it looks like everything will be ready for the launch of iPhone 8 at the Steve Jobs Theater in September. That may be when the press gets an invite—who knows. It may make sense to bring the press around a month or two before the launch of iPhone 8 so as to not upstage the phone launch, so all the campus media has died down a bit.
    edited February 2017 patchythepirate
  • Reply 47 of 69
    macxpress said:
    Has Apple said which teams are moving into this new campus? I thought I read somewhere that Eddy Cue's iCloud team which is spread out right now would all be moving into the current campus.
    I haven't heard anything, but I do wonder if those who are not moving into the new campus will cause a ruckus over it. I can see some people getting pissed because they have to either stay in the current Apple Campus on Infinite Loop, or are moving from the San Francisco area to the Infinite Loop Campus vs Apple Park. 
    People in San-Franciso won't likely be moved. You get office space there for a specific reason, you need to be there; otherwise, they wouldn't have opened those offices there in the first place.

For people almost everywhere else, it won't make a diff, having an office in Fremont, or the Peninsula or Apple park likely only impacts commute time depending on where you live and not much else. I've worked all over the valley except the peninsula so I know how sucky most of it is... The peninsula's a bit more interesting, but not by a lot.
    I loved living in San-Francisco though and living anywhere else in the Bay area just sucks ass, I would consider it a huge quality of life loss having to move from there involuntarily.
  • Reply 48 of 69
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,040member
    macxpress said:
    Has Apple said which teams are moving into this new campus? I thought I read somewhere that Eddy Cue's iCloud team which is spread out right now would all be moving into the current campus.
    I haven't heard anything, but I do wonder if those who are not moving into the new campus will cause a ruckus over it. I can see some people getting pissed because they have to either stay in the current Apple Campus on Infinite Loop, or are moving from the San Francisco area to the Infinite Loop Campus vs Apple Park. 
    Yeah I'm sure some employees will be bummed if they don't move to the new campus. That New Yorker article on Jony Ive said said the design teams would be occupying parts of the 4th floor in the new campus.
    The word on the street is that most Apple employees already know if they are moving or not to Apple Park. Since the project was announced, there is likely a fairly good understanding of which groups would likely be relocated to the new building: the same engineering teams who are occupying the best commercial real estate in and around Infinite Loop.

It's given that certain groups will be going to the new building: iPhone hardware engineering, iOS software engineering, Mac hardware engineering, macOS software engineering and iPad hardware engineering. Those are the people who design the products that cover 85% of Apple revenue.

Since Apple TV and Apple Watch, their respective operating systems are so closely tied to iPhones, Macs and their operating systems, I suspect that Apple TV and Apple Watch teams would be prime candidates to also eventually move to Apple Park.

Where the remaining space will go is unknown but it is likely that teams that work on more minor services and software (Apple Maps, iWork apps) will probably not go to the new building, but will find new digs closer to Infinite Loop in the spaces vacated by core engineering groups. 

If you work for Apple in San Francisco, Austin or Tel Aviv, you aren't getting a desk at Apple Park because if you were, you'd already be in Cupertino.
    edited February 2017 ireland
  • Reply 49 of 69
    slurpy said:
    sog35 said:
    They should name it Tim Cook Campus

But for the past year you've been shrieking that Cook is unfit to clean toilets and should be removed from Apple ASAP. Now the campus should be named after him?

One of the qualities of a great mind is the ability to change opinions.  Kind of like upgrading software.  More Americans should try it.  Launch an alternative App, or hell, even boot up in a different OS (Ontology).  This is a quick way to debug your extensions folder and remove cognitive dissonance.  All human conflict comes from people refusing to upgrade.  I applaud Sog.  If Tim really screws up, Sog will call him out.  In the mean time, with shares up and services revenue expanding, it's time for some well-earned bliss.

• Reply 50 of 69
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    This marvel will be one of the wonders of the world. 
    patchythepirate
  • Reply 51 of 69
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 1,101member
    ireland said:
    You don't even know how irrelevant you are. 
  • Reply 52 of 69
    polymniapolymnia Posts: 1,080member
    kamilton said:
    slurpy said:
    sog35 said:

But for the past year you've been shrieking that Cook is unfit to clean toilets and should be removed from Apple ASAP. Now the campus should be named after him?

One of the qualities of a great mind is the ability to change opinions.  Kind of like upgrading software.  More Americans should try it.  Launch an alternative App, or hell, even boot up in a different OS (Ontology).  This is a quick way to debug your extensions folder and remove cognitive dissonance.  All human conflict comes from people refusing to upgrade.  I applaud Sog.  If Tim really screws up, Sog will call him out.  In the mean time, with shares up and services revenue expanding, it's time for some well-earned bliss.

Is it time to take him off my ignore list?
  • Reply 53 of 69
    polymnia said:
    kamilton said:
    slurpy said:
    sog35 said:

I'd give it a couple of years if I were you.
    ireland
  • Reply 54 of 69
    Apple Park is the perfect name. Its simplicity and versatility allows for projective interpretations from different perspectives; for many people (e.g. consumers) it will likely invoke a pleasant feeling associated with strolling through a city/town park (nature + socialization + sense of community), and for others it will have more of a 'research park' association. Apple is having its cake and eating it too.

I'm so excited that Apple has a visitors center and cafe. I can't wait to visit.
    I don't think tourists will be able to just wander about on the campus.
    And most people won't ever want to.* It's about the association and feeling. The name evokes a positive feeling (from a large range of people) of the campus, and by extension, Apple as a company. It's a very versatile name.

*I, on the other hand, would love to stroll through, and I plan to get as far as I can before being tackled by Apple security. :D
    Security guards hate to tackle naked people.
  • Reply 55 of 69

kamilton said:
    slurpy said:
    sog35 said:

You have successfully not described Sog.
    edited February 2017
  • Reply 56 of 69

tyler82 said:
    ireland said:
    You don't even know how irrelevant you are. 
    What an ass.
    edited February 2017
  • Reply 57 of 69

polymnia said:
    kamilton said:
    slurpy said:
    sog35 said:

Good idea. Not off.
  • Reply 58 of 69
    polymniapolymnia Posts: 1,080member
    ireland said:

polymnia said:
    kamilton said:
    slurpy said:
    sog35 said:

Good idea. Not off.
    AI has become enjoyable again since I've added him to the ignore list. Seeing someone write that he's saying reasonable things made me wonder if it's time to take him off timeout. 
    ireland
  • Reply 59 of 69
    You know, the more I look at this building, the more I'm a bit surprised it wasn't built in the shape of the Apple logo? I don't mean that in a bad or mean way. Just think how cool it would be and it could be about the same size, and have the same cool factor. Hell this one is round, all they needed to do, was take a bite out of it.
  • Reply 60 of 69
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    sog35 said:

They won't kick out an owner, right?
    You own a piece of paper, not the company.