Report confirms Sharp pouring $878M into in OLED production ahead of 'iPhone 8'

Posted:
in iPhone edited March 2017
Sources familiar with the matter have confirmed that Sharp is investing 1 trillion yen into OLED screen production, more than a month after reports circulated that it was planning to do so.

According to The Wall Street Journal, sources familiar with the matter confirmed the giant OLED investment which was first reported in early January. The deal looks to be aimed squarely at selling the screens to Apple, as the investment will be centered on production at Foxconn's Zengzhou facility.

The investment is notably larger than the $568 million bet on OLED Sharp has originally announced in September 2016.

Foxconn is already Apple's main assembly partner, but an investment this late in the game probably won't produce screens in time for a September OLED iPhone launch in any quantity. The first OLED-equipped iPhones are expected to ship in 2017, using Samsung-made panels.

Apple is believed to be working on three iPhone models for this fall. The model likely to shift to OLED, the "iPhone 8," may boast a curved display with a glass back, some form of wireless charging, a 3d facial recognition sensor.

An oft-rumored features of the "iPhone 8" includes the FaceTime camera, earpiece and Touch ID fingerprint sensor embedded beneath the display -- a move which would be facilitated by the flexible and thin OLED screen technology.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    Herbivore2Herbivore2 Posts: 367member
    Samsung is so far ahead everyone else, it is going to take a major setback or a new technology development to displace them. 

While the others are getting started, Samsung is now working on raising efficiencies and lowering costs of production. Samsung will continue to offer the best combination of lowest cost and high quality panels for some time. They make outstanding components. Unless Foxconn is willing to take losses on their upcoming panels, Samsung will be getting Apple's business for a long time. And Cook would be smart to do so. It will keep OLED panel prices higher for the rest of the market. Such that the Pixel from Google will be seriously disadvantaged. 
    patchythepirate
  • Reply 2 of 9
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    Samsung is so far ahead everyone else, it is going to take a major setback or a new technology development to displace them. 

While the others are getting started, Samsung is now working on raising efficiencies and lowering costs of production. Samsung will continue to offer the best combination of lowest cost and high quality panels for some time. They make outstanding components. Unless Foxconn is willing to take losses on their upcoming panels, Samsung will be getting Apple's business for a long time. And Cook would be smart to do so. It will keep OLED panel prices higher for the rest of the market. Such that the Pixel from Google will be seriously disadvantaged. 
    Cook has always been a pragmatist in his dealings with Samsung, and Samsung has shown its more than capable of inflicting damage to itself without Apple putting its own needs at risk. 
    edited March 2017 Solianton zuykovwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 9
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    Good for Apple. More OLED panel manufacturers come on board, better of every phone manufacturers are. Now that the long term direction is set for replacing LCD panels, more funding will pour into making OLED. Don't discount LG(and Chinese OLED makers) who is making OLED panels sometime for TVs/phones also plan to invest heavily into next gen OLED panels. Interestingly, 2018 iphone 8 is over one and half year down the road, so don't discount if all iPhone models move to OLED in 2018 release.
    edited March 2017
  • Reply 4 of 9
    lowededwookielowededwookie Posts: 1,143member

How many OLED rumours have we had now over the years?

How many have come to fruition?

It just goes to show that Apple isn't interested in OLED because it is a crap technology. If it actually lived up to its tech specs don't you think that Apple would be using it by now? Instead Apple keeps going back to a different screen technology.

I've used all manner of phones with OLED and they certainly have NOT lived up to the hype. Frankly I don't see why these rumours keep persisting other than to prop up OLED manufacturers' stocks.

edited March 2017
  • Reply 5 of 9
    wonkothesanewonkothesane Posts: 1,723member

It just goes to show that Apple isn't interested in OLED because it is a crap technology. If it actually lived up to its tech specs don't you think that Apple would be using it by now? Instead Apple keeps going back to a different screen technology.

I've used all manner of phones with OLED and they certainly have NOT lived up to the hype. Frankly I don't see why these rumours keep persisting other than to prop up OLED manufacturers' stocks.

Yeah, but I don't think this a next "fluff fledged Apple TV set" rumor. Personally, i cannot judge OLED screens, as I only use iPhones and never check other mobile phones out. I did read, however, that the samsung Displays of today e.g. are quite good. No clue about longlivety, though. 
    Maybe Apple finally solved some of the issues around it. In the end, they often aren't first to market, but when they launch, it's usually pretty solid. So I kind of accepted it as a given (as much as rumors can do this) that at least one version to be released soon will carry OLED tech. 
  • Reply 6 of 9
    I'm still curious to see if/how that LuxVue investment pays off for a micro-LED solution.
    http://appleinsider.com/articles/15/07/27/apple-owned-micro-led-display-technology-earns-high-praise-seen-as-potential-oled-replacement

Or maybe Apple works with Sony. Or both Sony and LuxVue technology?
    http://www.ledinside.com/news/2016/11/can_micro_led_challenge_lcd_and_oled_market_position
  • Reply 7 of 9
    lowededwookielowededwookie Posts: 1,143member
    sog35 said:

OLED done right is worth the hype. For example LG's OLED TV's.

The advantages of OLED phones is its thinner and has better black levels. Disadvantages are color accuracy, and color degradation over time. If Apple can solve those two problems than OLED would be great. The fact is LED will never be able to match OLED's black/contrast levels because it is not an active panel (requires a light source)
    But a TV is a different use case to a phone. OLED TVs look pretty good although I've seen Panasonic screens out perform Samsung hands down and I'm not sure the Panasonic was OLED.

The problem with OLED is while the blacks might look nice the battery consumption is pathetic. So you've got a screen that has great blacks and is thinner but has poor colour accuracy and colour degradation over time all while sucking the life out of your battery. OLED therefore IS crap technology for phones and I can't see Apple using them any time too soon. It is therefore true that in the case of a phone LEDs are better than OLED and it's this context that my comments hold true because the article was about the iPhone 8 not TVs or monitors.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    I'm still curious to see if/how that LuxVue investment pays off for a micro-LED solution.
    http://appleinsider.com/articles/15/07/27/apple-owned-micro-led-display-technology-earns-high-praise-seen-as-potential-oled-replacement

Or maybe Apple works with Sony. Or both Sony and LuxVue technology?
    http://www.ledinside.com/news/2016/11/can_micro_led_challenge_lcd_and_oled_market_position
    There is rumored R&D in that area, but it would likely make it to the watch first before getting into a phone.