Apple rival Samsung forecasts high profits despite Note 7 fires & political scandals

Comments

• Reply 41 of 63
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    Tuubor said:
    sog35 said:
    I had a chance to touch and hold the Galaxy S8 and S8+

GOT TO SAY THEY ARE BEAUTIFUL PHONES. IMO, THE MOST BEAUTIFUL EVER. AND PAIR THAT MICRO BEZEL DESIGN WITH A CRAZY AMAZING SCREEN..........WOW. 

For the doubters you need to see it in person and feel it. Pictures don't do it justice.

Hope the iPhone8 at least matches it on hardware design. Frankly the iPhone6, 6s, and 7 has fallen behind hardware design (the way the product looks) compared to Samsung. Kinda sucks.  Apple should have the best designs, but frankly that has not been true since the iPhone6.  have no idea what Ive does, but his iPhone designs have been CRAP lately.
    I personally think the iPhone has a better design than any other smartphone, including the S8. Apple makes designs that are timeless. The iPhone 5 design is still great. So great that Apple used the design again in the SE. You could compare it to a design of an older beautiful car. The design doesn't go out of date. If it was beautiful back then, it is beautiful now. 

The problem is that people want something new. People (especially these days) get bored easily, so they want something new and shiny. The iPhone 6s and 7 have basically the same design than the 6. And you called the 6's design beautiful. They didnt need to change the design because it was already great. I think the S8 is too tall and looks a bit funny. And I am shure that Apple will not make a phone that tall and skinny even if they go almost bezeless. Because it doesn't look good. Samsung doesn't do good design.   They do ok. Even their smartwatches were designed by an American company. 

To me the iPhone's greatest strength is iOS.   The core operating system is great.    Just the other day I watched a youTube where Erica Griffin complained about her latest android flagship lagging.    I also feel that Apple has great build quality.   iOS 10 look great now but iOS 7 and 8 left a lot to be desired.

I love the design of the iPhone 5, 5S, SE.    iPhone 6/6S is MEH.   iPhone 7 is a little better.   But I'm sure there are people who may love these designs.   To each their own.    Apple makes a ton of money with a few phones, but I think they should release more designs through out the year.   I would love to see a phone based on the iPod Touch's curved design each spring (iPhone 7Air). Release an iPhone 7XL 50% thicker (about the thickness of the SE) with a bigger batter than the normal iPhone and I bet tons of people buy it.   A few new, different designs will appeal to more people. Maybe they should bring back the polycarbonate body with multiple colors to appeal to kids in sizes 4 inches and 4.7 inches starting at $299/$399.  Apple could easily have 60% market share.   But it probably would decrease margins to 25%.

• Reply 42 of 63
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,703member
    idrey said:
    Are people so blind that they can really not see all the useful innovations Apple has made? Touch ID, force touch, Siri, even the bigger screens on phones came from Apple. And Samsung use to say the iPhone was ugly and bulky and then Samsung switched to, is too small, and now Samsung is saying our screens have no ends Apple does.  

I have not not seen one real innovation come from Samsung. I may be wrong. If I am, sure somebody will let me know. 
    You speak of 'real' innovation but the fingerprint scanning technology and Siri were not created at Apple. They were acquisitions. Apple was not first with force touch or dual lens cameras either. You lost me somewhat with the comment on large screens.

The last time the word innovation left Phil Schiller's mouth was in "can't innovate, my ass" (or something like that) and then they left the product to rot for years. They don't have fast charging, OLED screens, removable storage, scanner gestures or full Bluetooth or NFC implementations.

I hope the next iPhone corrects some of these issues.
  • Reply 43 of 63
    k2kw said:
    Tuubor said:
    sog35 said:

GOT TO SAY THEY ARE BEAUTIFUL PHONES. IMO, THE MOST BEAUTIFUL EVER. AND PAIR THAT MICRO BEZEL DESIGN WITH A CRAZY AMAZING SCREEN..........WOW. 

For the doubters you need to see it in person and feel it. Pictures don't do it justice.

Hope the iPhone8 at least matches it on hardware design. Frankly the iPhone6, 6s, and 7 has fallen behind hardware design (the way the product looks) compared to Samsung. Kinda sucks.  Apple should have the best designs, but frankly that has not been true since the iPhone6.  have no idea what Ive does, but his iPhone designs have been CRAP lately.
    I personally think the iPhone has a better design than any other smartphone, including the S8. Apple makes designs that are timeless. The iPhone 5 design is still great. So great that Apple used the design again in the SE. You could compare it to a design of an older beautiful car. The design doesn't go out of date. If it was beautiful back then, it is beautiful now. 

The problem is that people want something new. People (especially these days) get bored easily, so they want something new and shiny. The iPhone 6s and 7 have basically the same design than the 6. And you called the 6's design beautiful. They didnt need to change the design because it was already great. I think the S8 is too tall and looks a bit funny. And I am shure that Apple will not make a phone that tall and skinny even if they go almost bezeless. Because it doesn't look good. Samsung doesn't do good design.   They do ok. Even their smartwatches were designed by an American company. 

To me the iPhone's greatest strength is iOS.   The core operating system is great.    Just the other day I watched a youTube where Erica Griffin complained about her latest android flagship lagging.    I also feel that Apple has great build quality.   iOS 10 look great now but iOS 7 and 8 left a lot to be desired.

I love the design of the iPhone 5, 5S, SE.    iPhone 6/6S is MEH.   iPhone 7 is a little better.   But I'm sure there are people who may love these designs.   To each their own.    Apple makes a ton of money with a few phones, but I think they should release more designs through out the year.   I would love to see a phone based on the iPod Touch's curved design each spring (iPhone 7Air). Release an iPhone 7XL 50% thicker (about the thickness of the SE) with a bigger batter than the normal iPhone and I bet tons of people buy it.   A few new, different designs will appeal to more people. Maybe they should bring back the polycarbonate body with multiple colors to appeal to kids in sizes 4 inches and 4.7 inches starting at $299/$399.  Apple could easily have 60% market share.   But it probably would decrease margins to 25%.

Nice ideas. Huawei is trying the coloured theme with the P10 right now while slowing down a little on the new features. We'll see how it plays out but I agree Apple could be offering more in terms of colour. I agree that for some people a fatter phone would be nice.

As for iOS, I still see it as very lacking in interface and usability. They really need to go back to better design bases and get developers to follow them. We desperately need arrows for insertion point placement, for example
  • Reply 44 of 63
    gilly017gilly017 Posts: 83member
    This is what happens when you innovate, put out devices with the latest cutting edge technology in them, like wireless charging, fast charging, waterproofing, give customers a headphone jack, a fully customizable OS, smartwatches that will pair with any other mobile device, a VR ecosystem at a great price. All make for a winning formula. Plus make all the most important parts (screens, chipsets, memory) for the other biggest mobile phones out there too, you are gonna make some big money!

We know where Samsung makes its money because the company reports it. 

IM is smartphones tablets and PCs, etc (similar business segment to Apple). It's down significantly since 2014. So no, "wireless charging, fast charging, waterproofing, give customers a headphone jack, a fully customizable OS, smartwatches that will pair with any other mobile device, a VR " are not the reason Samsung is making more money over the past two years. 

It's mostly from and Semiconductors-- displays and largely RAM, because all those Chinese phones have to pack in lots of DRAM to run Android ( and also because Apple is buying up flash for high end sales of iOS devices).  CE (appliances) are also growing. Samsung smartphones are down, and in particular profitable smartphones are down since 2014. Clearly because Apple erased the size difference. 
    Thanks for correcting the joker. 
    singularitymagman1979watto_cobra
  • Reply 45 of 63
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,886member
    avon b7 said:
    idrey said:
    Are people so blind that they can really not see all the useful innovations Apple has made? Touch ID, force touch, Siri, even the bigger screens on phones came from Apple. And Samsung use to say the iPhone was ugly and bulky and then Samsung switched to, is too small, and now Samsung is saying our screens have no ends Apple does.  

I have not not seen one real innovation come from Samsung. I may be wrong. If I am, sure somebody will let me know. 
    You speak of 'real' innovation but the fingerprint scanning technology and Siri were not created at Apple. They were acquisitions. Apple was not first with force touch or dual lens cameras either. You lost me somewhat with the comment on large screens.
    Anytime your talking points depend on "But they BOUGHT that innovation!" you can hang up your hat -- you've lost. Every company makes acquisitions. Selecting the right tech to buy is a skill. After the patents or talent are acquired, they are now Apple. Further, the tech must be integrated and the implementation nailed. Trying to discredit all that is simply moving the goalposts in order to prop up your favorite crummy knockoff. 

Same thing for you poor "But Apple wasn't FIRST!" Yeah dude, we know that -- rarely first, but usually best. Thats how Apple rolls and that's far more important. 
    edited April 2017 magman1979pscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 46 of 63
    avon b7 said:
    idrey said:

Anytime your talking points depend on "But they BOUGHT that innovation!" you can hang up your hat -- you've lost. Every company makes acquisitions. Selecting the right tech to buy is a skill. After the patents or talent are acquired, they are now Apple. Further, the tech must be integrated and the implementation nailed. Trying to discredit all that is simply moving the goalposts in order to prop up your favorite crummy knockoff. 

Same thing for you poor "But Apple wasn't FIRST!" Yeah dude, we know that -- rarely first, but usually best. Thats how Apple rolls and that's far more important. 
    You need to read the thread of replies before jumping to conclusions. I was replying to someone who was complaining that Samsung was lame because it didn't do 'real' innovation and gave examples of Apple innovating with Touch ID and Siri, neither of which were good examples.

As many of the Samsung haters are obfuscated with 'copying', it's worth pointing out that Apple is years behind on many things and, by the same logic, will eventually be copying others. That's how things go. Personally, I don't give a damn. I'm just pointing out the massive holes in the argument.

It's also wrong to say Apple does things better. It doesn't. It screws things up just as often as the others. And waiting years for them to get something like fast charging (or Mac Pro) 'perfect' would be utterly stupid.
    edited April 2017
  • Reply 47 of 63
    magman1979magman1979 Posts: 1,293member
    avon b7 said:
    avon b7 said:
    idrey said:

You need to read the thread of replies before jumping to conclusions. I was replying to someone who was complaining that Samsung was lame because it didn't do 'real' innovation and gave examples of Apple innovating with Touch ID and Siri, neither of which were good examples.

As many of the Samsung haters are obfuscated with 'copying', it's worth pointing out that Apple is years behind on many things and, by the same logic, will eventually be copying others. That's how things go. Personally, I don't give a damn. I'm just pointing out the massive holes in the argument.

It's also wrong to say Apple does things better. It doesn't. It screws things up just as often as the others. And waiting years for them to get something like fast charging (or Mac Pro) 'perfect' would be utterly stupid.
    Jesus Christ your trolling for a blatant fraudulent and lying mafia company like Samsung is sickening... After the Note 7 fiasco Samsung proved once and for all they are not to be trusted, and oh let's not forget their TV's that catch fire, the washing machines that explode into lethal projectiles, and their CEO who has been arrested for criminal activities. And yet here you are, defending them? They haven't innovated worth a fucking damn, and ALL they have now is because they stole it from others!

Theft of IP from Pioneer on plasma TV's which forced Pioneer to exit the market.

Theft of IP and design from Apple which lead to the creation of the Galaxy knockoff franchise.

Theft of IP design by cloning even Dyson vacuum cleaners and marketing it as revolutionary.

Purchasing IP patents to later use as cannon fodder in patent disputes once they steal technology from other organizations.

Should I go on? THIS is the organization you're so stupidly standing up for and calling innovative.

And people say Apple users drink cool-aid, you and people like you disgust me to the core!
    pscooter63StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 48 of 63
    avon b7 said:
    avon b7 said:
    idrey said:

Jesus Christ your trolling for a blatant fraudulent and lying mafia company like Samsung is sickening... After the Note 7 fiasco Samsung proved once and for all they are not to be trusted, and oh let's not forget their TV's that catch fire, the washing machines that explode into lethal projectiles, and their CEO who has been arrested for criminal activities. And yet here you are, defending them? They haven't innovated worth a fucking damn, and ALL they have now is because they stole it from others!

Theft of IP from Pioneer on plasma TV's which forced Pioneer to exit the market.

Theft of IP and design from Apple which lead to the creation of the Galaxy knockoff franchise.

Theft of IP design by cloning even Dyson vacuum cleaners and marketing it as revolutionary.

Purchasing IP patents to later use as cannon fodder in patent disputes once they steal technology from other organizations.

Should I go on? THIS is the organization you're so stupidly standing up for and calling innovative.

And people say Apple users drink cool-aid, you and people like you disgust me to the core!
    I sincerely hope that one you can re-read what you just wrote and see how utterly wrong you are.

I have never owned a Samsung phone and am certainly not defending them. Your vision is clouded.

As an aside I still have a Kuro and can tell you that Pioneer didn't succeed in the plasma business because it chose a strategy of premium priced equipment at a point in time when the world economy was about to tank.

LCDs were flooding the market at all price points (including the high end). There were several negative factors coming into play at the same time.
  • Reply 49 of 63
    magman1979magman1979 Posts: 1,293member
    avon b7 said:

I sincerely hope that one you can re-read what you just wrote and see how utterly wrong you are.

I have never owned a Samsung phone and am certainly not defending them. Your vision is clouded.

As an aside I still have a Kuro and can tell you that Pioneer didn't succeed in the plasma business because it chose a strategy of premium priced equipment at a point in time when the world economy was about to tank.

LCDs were flooding the market at all price points (including the high end). There were several negative factors coming into play at the same time.
    I expected as much from someone defending Samsung... You contradict yourself saying you don't, when you've made several references indicating your defence of them...

Oh, and in case you don't know your history:

http://www.cio.com/article/2444351/outsourcing/pioneer-sues-samsung-sdi-over-plasma-patents.html

Pioneer won this fight, but by then the marketing damage done by the Samsung patent war machine had been done, and whilst market forces had a factor in this, the drawn-out legal battle Samsung waged over this had cost Pioneer too much and that, coupled with market reality over LCD's flooding in, forced the folding of their Plasma TV business, and later with Panasonic as well.

This is Samsung's strategy, and it's well documented... Steal other's IP and tech, wilfully infringe upon it, make devices using said stolen tech and undercut original developer on price, make as much money as they can, then when original developer finally comes around to sue Samsung, take them to court with the stockpiled IP and patents, and appeal and appeal over and over, that by then even a victory for the original developer is a loss, not only due to a mountain of legal costs, but by Samsung having flooded the market with their junk and brainwashing consumers into thinking they actually were the best, leaving the original designers on the losing end with consumers. To Samsung, this is there MO, and way of doing business... Theft of IP, and later getting sued for it, is just a cost of doing business to them.

They are despicable.

If I had more time, I could EASILY pull up NUMEROUS other legal cases that have been launched against Samsung for IP theft, and most of which Samsung lost, but by then they didn't care cause they made their profit and moved on, like a virus.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 50 of 63
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    This is what happens when you innovate, put out devices with the latest cutting edge technology in them, like wireless charging, fast charging, waterproofing, give customers a headphone jack, a fully customizable OS, smartwatches that will pair with any other mobile device, a VR ecosystem at a great price. All make for a winning formula. Plus make all the most important parts (screens, chipsets, memory) for the other biggest mobile phones out there too, you are gonna make some big money!
    No, I think you meant this is what happens:

When Apple does it we get this:

...a top of the line, waterproof (resistant is what you meant but whatever) leading device that doesnt blow up and destroy property and which has never been banned from all aircraft for fear of killing everyone aboard. Plus a smart watch that doesnt look like a hockey puck strapped to your arm. And no gimmicks like eyeball-scrolling or VR or faulty facial recognition that has already been defeated with a simple photograph. 

apple pay works at 11% of credit card terminals in the USA right now, Samsung pay works at 98% of credit card terminals in the USA.  Not having to carry my credit cards or wallets around ever is worth every penny.  Thank goodness i have never had any problems with overheating or fires on any samsungs I have ever owned.  I can also reach over without looking in the dark, and get my phone charging in the middle of the night by simply placing it on the charging pad on my nightstand, no fiddling for cables and finding the charging port on the bottom of my phone. and I have had that feature for 3 years NOW, i dont know how i could live without it.  I had an iphone 1 all the way thru the iphone 5 but when i took a fair and balanced look at what apple was offering and what samsung phones were offering, i had to switch to samsung and i gotta say, I have never thought of switching back once.

If apple adds wireless charging finally to their phones, you all will see a small piece of the great features i have been enjoying for years and you will still have so many other great features you dont even realize you are missing which you will wait years for because you are "patiently waiting for Apple to do it the right way".  Good luck with that belief, i'm over here enjoying the future!
    Wireless charging is a sac of shit feature buddy.

Did you just pull that 98% number out of your ass, you do know the fucking backend needs to be taken care of for that to be actually true huh?
    How many god damn bank agreements does Samsung have? There are thousands of banks in the US, even if you count just the big ones there are many dozens.

The number of terminals that accept an old style transaction on a chipped card are way way less than that and falling fast.

That's "true" only if the merchant if the merchant is ready to accept loss from visa and not upgraded its terminal and you haven't changed your bank card to a chipped one.
    If you have changed it, the terminal is not supposed to be able to run the card through the much less safe older interface. Its not just less safe because of the interface, it's less safe because there is manipulation of the card numbers on the phone (open to Android vulnerabilities), and by the retailer (so still open to a target like breach)..

Apple itself has said its own penetration at about 30%; almost all new terminals are compatible since they mostly all have NFC on board.
    A lot of retailers are compatible without even knowing about it (since if you accept NFC payments, your compatible mostly).

Outside the US, coverage is universal in most places it launches; the issue in the US is fragmentation of payment providers and banks.

magman1979watto_cobra
  • Reply 51 of 63
    cali said:
    "Latest cutting edge technology"
    samsungPay and headphone jacks.
    *facepalm*

I cringe when people defend cheap iPhone knockoffs and claim they're "innovative" or "beautiful" while completely ignoring iPhone, the VERY device Samsung makes knockoffs of.

what has Samsung invented that wasn't a knockoff of Apple or other companies?
    curved TVs? Yeah how's that going for it?
    even Samsung admits they copy and you still have these morons defending them because Sammy pays so much in advertising/brainwashing.
     why are so obsessed with knockoff and copying? Were you the same before 2007? Why don't you consider every cars out there a knockoff of Fords and hate them for being a knockoff. i think you need to move on from the mindset of 'hate knockoff'. Heck, u shouldn't even consider all non Apple smartphones a iknockoff because you know, even your beloved brand Apple has moved on.
    There are lots of things relevant in this world than just your love for Apple and hate for so called "iknockoffs". Copying was there every time, Apple just highlighted it for branding purposes and you got trapped. Since then, u feel a reason to hate anything non apple coz u feel everything is a copy of Apple. If Apple Music was out first, you'd have definately considered Spotify a knockoff product.
  • Reply 52 of 63
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,096member
    sflocal said:
    Samsung Electronics I can see... Apple certainly contributed to that.   Samsung Mobile is something else entirely.  Lets see what happens.  Samsung is already known for being a lying miscreant when it comes honesty in the courtroom.

I think Samsung buyers either don't care about quality, or they have the attention span of a gnat and Samsung is banking on that.
    I do buy Samsung products because I have been having awesome experience regarding quality so far. Only the non Samsung users seem to be concerned about quality. Strange
    Putting aside the fact that Samsung TV's are lucky to last more than a couple years without failing, flaking, exploding washing machines, and phones that burned down houses and cars?  sure... I'm happy to (now) be a non-Samsung user.  I do not allow any Samsung-branded tech anywhere on my person and at home.  My own personal experience with Samsung, and family experiences prove's enough to me that they are junk.

"non-Samsung users"... give me a break.  It was Samsung users that had the problems to begin with right?

edited April 2017 magman1979watto_cobra
  • Reply 53 of 63
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,096member

fallenjt said:
    avon b7 said:
    fallenjt said:
    By adding useless bells and whistles to pos OS and copycat design? At the end Apple got most market profits while Samsung get get some left over. Apple needs only sell 1 phone while Samsung must sell 5+ to make the same profit...do the math!
    But Samsung didn't have to create that pos OS and the phone even works great with it! 

The creator of that pos OS gets five users connected to its ecosystem and even gets a lot of iOS users too.

Those five users get eliminated as potential iPhone clients.

Nobody needs to make the same profit as Apple. They just need to make a profit.
    And Kaboom...in the face!
    Funny... those five users are eliminated as "potential iPhone clients?"  Seriously?  How many Android "clients" does it take to match the revenue potential of ONE iPhone user?  A lot more than 5 for sure.  Most Android users spend nothing on apps/services outside the purchase of their phone, and then most of those phones are not Samsung's flagship phones, but cheap bottom-of-the-barrel devices.

And then, Samsung users get angry because Samsung forgets about them after the purchase and their crappy devices do not get crucial, secure updates to their junk phones.  Yeah.. keep it coming.

Those "potential iPhone clients" are not the "clients" Apple wants, nor needs.  Stop spinning the story to something it is not.

Apple's services division alone on the revenue front is something Samsung would kill for, but has shown way too many times that it is brain-dead to even try.
    pscooter63magman1979watto_cobra
  • Reply 54 of 63
    avon b7 said:

I expected as much from someone defending Samsung... You contradict yourself saying you don't, when you've made several references indicating your defence of them...

Oh, and in case you don't know your history:

http://www.cio.com/article/2444351/outsourcing/pioneer-sues-samsung-sdi-over-plasma-patents.html

Pioneer won this fight, but by then the marketing damage done by the Samsung patent war machine had been done, and whilst market forces had a factor in this, the drawn-out legal battle Samsung waged over this had cost Pioneer too much and that, coupled with market reality over LCD's flooding in, forced the folding of their Plasma TV business, and later with Panasonic as well.

This is Samsung's strategy, and it's well documented... Steal other's IP and tech, wilfully infringe upon it, make devices using said stolen tech and undercut original developer on price, make as much money as they can, then when original developer finally comes around to sue Samsung, take them to court with the stockpiled IP and patents, and appeal and appeal over and over, that by then even a victory for the original developer is a loss, not only due to a mountain of legal costs, but by Samsung having flooded the market with their junk and brainwashing consumers into thinking they actually were the best, leaving the original designers on the losing end with consumers. To Samsung, this is there MO, and way of doing business... Theft of IP, and later getting sued for it, is just a cost of doing business to them.

They are despicable.

If I had more time, I could EASILY pull up NUMEROUS other legal cases that have been launched against Samsung for IP theft, and most of which Samsung lost, but by then they didn't care cause they made their profit and moved on, like a virus.
    You clearly have a problem with Samsung.

Let me be clear:

http://www.dealerscope.com/article/pioneer-carves-high-performance-niche-new-project-kuro-plasma-lines-55209/

The truth is in the first few paragraphs. 

Pioneer took a strategic decision to move into the ultra premium plasma business. They designed a whole project around it (Kuro). The resulting product was far, far ahead of the competition (including Samsung).

They failed due to market forces. Nothing else. Not even the Samsung dispute which was minor to say the least. 

One of the reasons Pioneer was so far ahead was with video processing (completely unaffected by manufacturing issues).

You are so blinded by your Samsung problem that you think I am defending them when I point out the errors committed by those defending Apple with inaccurate claims.

My comments have little to do with Samsung.
    singularity
  • Reply 55 of 63
    sflocal said:

fallenjt said:
    avon b7 said:
    fallenjt said:
    By adding useless bells and whistles to pos OS and copycat design? At the end Apple got most market profits while Samsung get get some left over. Apple needs only sell 1 phone while Samsung must sell 5+ to make the same profit...do the math!
    But Samsung didn't have to create that pos OS and the phone even works great with it! 

The creator of that pos OS gets five users connected to its ecosystem and even gets a lot of iOS users too.

Funny... those five users are eliminated as "potential iPhone clients?"  Seriously?  How many Android "clients" does it take to match the revenue potential of ONE iPhone user?  A lot more than 5 for sure.  Most Android users spend nothing on apps/services outside the purchase of their phone, and then most of those phones are not Samsung's flagship phones, but cheap bottom-of-the-barrel devices.

And then, Samsung users get angry because Samsung forgets about them after the purchase and their crappy devices do not get crucial, secure updates to their junk phones.  Yeah.. keep it coming.

Those "potential iPhone clients" are not the "clients" Apple wants, nor needs.  Stop spinning the story to something it is not.

Apple's services division alone on the revenue front is something Samsung would kill for, but has shown way too many times that it is brain-dead to even try.
    With more than 80% of the market it wouldn't take 'most' Android users to use App stores. Revenues from Android app stores are growing. Some estimates say they will top the Apple App Store in the near future. You know this because those claims have been covered on AI.

Some Android manufacturers are selling more mid to high end phones than bucket phones - and selling them by the millions.

Depending on the phone it could take any amount of Android phone sales to match an iPhone. In some case s less than one, such is the nature the Android phone business. 

If you have some numbers, just present them.

Services revenues comes all Apple hardware (both macOS and iOS), not just iPhones.

And yes, five sales of Android phones means five less potential iPhone sales, and we know Apple is interested in those sales as it has a migration assistant for them.
    edited April 2017
  • Reply 56 of 63
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    avon b7 said:
    sflocal said:

fallenjt said:
    avon b7 said:
    fallenjt said:

With more than 80% of the market it wouldn't take 'most' Android users to use App stores. Revenues from Android app stores are growing. Some estimates say they will top the Apple App Store in the near future. You know this because those claims have been covered on AI.

Some Android manufacturers are selling more mid to high end phones than bucket phones - and selling them by the millions.

Depending on the phone it could take any amount of Android phone sales to match an iPhone. In some case s less than one, such is the nature the Android phone business. 

Services revenues comes all Apple hardware (both macOS and iOS), not just iPhones.

And yes, five sales of Android phones means five less potential iPhone sales, and we know Apple is interested in those sales as it has a migration assistant for them.
    IT doesn't mean 5 less potential Iphone sales if they weren't part of their potential target market segment. Pretty sure BMW is not losing sleep if someone buys a low end Hyundai, they're never buying their cars : never.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 57 of 63
    foggyhill said:
    avon b7 said:
    sflocal said:

fallenjt said:
    avon b7 said:
    fallenjt said:

IT doesn't mean 5 less potential Iphone sales if they weren't part of their potential target market segment. Pretty sure BMW is not losing sleep if someone buys a low end Hyundai, they're never buying their cars : never.
    Yes, probably, but the OP just said 'Android iPhones' and that's why I said in some.cases less than one. There are Android phones that cost more than iPhones.
  • Reply 58 of 63
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    avon b7 said:
    k2kw said:
    Tuubor said:
    sog35 said:

Nice ideas. Huawei is trying the coloured theme with the P10 right now while slowing down a little on the new features. We'll see how it plays out but I agree Apple could be offering more in terms of colour. I agree that for some people a fatter phone would be nice.

As for iOS, I still see it as very lacking in interface and usability. They really need to go back to better design bases and get developers to follow them. We desperately need arrows for insertion point placement, for example
    I should have added.  something like the iPhone XL would only need get released every other year alternating with SE in Spring.
  • Reply 59 of 63
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    It'd be nice if they get caught cooking their books, because then we can have cartoons of a bonfire of Note 7s.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 60 of 63
    That's why it's good for a business to diversify. If one part of the business is weak then they'll have something else to help lift the company. Apple relies entirely too much on iPhone sales and Wall Street investors always have this in the back of their minds. Any little fluctuation in iPhone sales sends people into a panic. It's true I have no idea what type of business Apple should acquire that can even come close to providing the revenue the iPhone offers. I'm sure it's easier said than done.

I don't know why Apple had to be the only major tech company not offering cloud services like Amazon, Microsoft and Alphabet do. Those companies are always being praised to no end over their cloud services as Wall Street truly believes it's some sort of an unlimited growth business where no one can fail.  It's stupid reasoning but that's how Wall Street is.

Samsung has so many divisions that some past problem with the Note 7 doesn't mean anything. I'll bet there will be plenty of consumers rushing out to buy the Note 8 because consumers tend to forget almost anything after a while.
    edited April 2017 avon b7watto_cobra