Breaking the trend: why Apple is likely to release both an 'iPhone 7s' and 'iPhone 8' this...

Comments

• Reply 21 of 66
    tshapitshapi Posts: 370member

This. The article didn't really explain why, other than "reasons". From a marketing and sales perspective why release an iphone 7s and 8? "Because technologies" isn't a reason. 
    The technology for the iPhone 8, is probably severely constrained.  Apple probably is releasing an iPhone 7s and along with a redesigned iPhone to ease bottleneck from the oled 
    qwwera
  • Reply 22 of 66
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    mrshow said:
    It's going to hilarious when there's no "iPhone 8" released. Because why would they, it breaks all the naming/release norms they've established. 
    This will eventually have to come to an end. Otherwise in a few years we'll have people saying "I have the iPhone 13", or "When is the iPhone 13s coming out?" I think it will eventually just be renamed back to simply iPhone. They can't keep doing the number thing with an S revision the year after. It doesn't make any sense. 
    qwweraStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 66
    qwweraqwwera Posts: 281member
    I just think whatever new technologies are ready, and yields are feasible for mass production, then go the tried and true route of incorporating them into a further refined 7s as would always be the case.

If it's for marketing reasons or to appease the folks who loiter these types of blogs, then everyone is f'ed.

The general Apple consumer only cares that their devices are the best on the market and takes the best pictures. And that's why Apple is so profitable. Not because it cares about what Wall St thinks or what tech blog loiterers think.

Let's remember the echo-chamber nonsense about removing the headphone jack. The ones who gave a f about that and were rolling in the isles of Nerdom and disbelief were not the general consumer, but only those on The Verge of reality and echo-chamber regurgitators. 
    edited April 2017 StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 66
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Are the Apple tech blogs causing damage to the company by conflating rumors into facts? From what I read the so-called iPhone 8 is a fait accompli. What happens, in REAL fact, if Apple does not release such a product in September? Probably then, as is customary, another slew of conflated rumors will attempt to explain why Apple coulda-woulda-shoulda done thisa-or-thata. Is Apple required to paint a detailed picture of what is coming? Would that put the tech blogs out of their misery finally?
    watto_cobrapscooter63
  • Reply 25 of 66
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    lkrupp said:
    Are the Apple tech blogs causing damage to the company by conflating rumors into facts? From what I read the so-called iPhone 8 is a fait accompli. What happens, in REAL fact, if Apple does not release such a product in September? Probably then, as is customary, another slew of conflated rumors will attempt to explain why Apple coulda-woulda-shoulda done thisa-or-thata. Is Apple required to paint a detailed picture of what is coming? Would that put the tech blogs out of their misery finally?

Yes, what happens next is that the tech blogs try to cover themselves:

"We were right, but Apple changed their whole strategy the day before release."

StrangeDaysmejsricwatto_cobramagman1979pscooter63
  • Reply 26 of 66
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member
    Why not just iPhone?
    In three screen sizes. 
    Available in: 
    • Unapologetic plastic for the entry level. 
    • Aluminium for the mid tier. 
    • Ceramic for the 1.000$+ iPhone. 
    A bit akin to the  watch.

>:x
    edited April 2017 watto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 66
    freediverxfreediverx Posts: 1,423member
    supadav03 said:
    The thing I don't understand about this is, who would buy the 7S if the 8 is also available (or is going to be shortly after)? I get there a budget  conscious people, but wouldn't they just opt for a iphone 6S or 6 on a deep discount or even an iPhone SE?
    This. The article didn't really explain why, other than "reasons". From a marketing and sales perspective why release an iphone 7s and 8? "Because technologies" isn't a reason. 

Actually, it makes perfect sense. If the rumors turn out to be true, the iPhone 8 will occupy a new pricing tier above that of Apple's current flagship model. Apple can't leave the previous price tier empty, nor can they fill it with a dated older model. The only logical move is to also release a traditional s-model update with the same pricing and styling as last year's model but with significantly improved internals such as the processor, camera, and/or new features like 3D touch.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 66
    What was the point of this piece? Seems to me like a rehash of everything that's been repeated ad nauseam, without any new information or insights whatsoever.
    shikotsumyaku
  • Reply 29 of 66
    jkichline said:

1) People and investors want Apple to repeat its success with the "wow factor" of the original iPhone. 

That's never going to happen. The original iPhone's wow factor resulted from a perfect storm of radical hardware & software design, brilliant execution, and flawless timing in a competitive landscape that was a wasteland of stagnation and mediocrity. 

With so much investment and talent focused on smartphones today, it's impossible for Apple to dazzle the market with perfectly executed new technology before lesser competitors release less polished versions of the same technology. Apple still has the better implementation and the better product, but premature release of new tech by competitors steals all their thunder.

edited April 2017 watto_cobraradarthekat
  • Reply 30 of 66
    Rayz2016 said:

Yes, what happens next is that the tech blogs try to cover themselves:

"We were right, but Apple changed their whole strategy the day before release."

Also known as the Mark Gurman maneuver.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 66
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member
    macxpress said:
    mrshow said:
    It's going to hilarious when there's no "iPhone 8" released. Because why would they, it breaks all the naming/release norms they've established. 
    This will eventually have to come to an end. Otherwise in a few years we'll have people saying "I have the iPhone 13", or "When is the iPhone 13s coming out?" I think it will eventually just be renamed back to simply iPhone. They can't keep doing the number thing with an S revision the year after. It doesn't make any sense. 
    Maybe they could name the new models after, oh I dunno, big cats or something.... ;)  ...or seriously a series of somethings...??  

And I guess it's too soon after the retirement of OS X for an iPhone X...
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 66
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    If I there really is an iPhone that is fancier than the "7S" and "7S Plus" this year, then I think there are only 3 possible names.
    Here's how likely I think it is that Apple will use any of those names:

"iPhone Edition" -> 70% 
    "iPhone Pro" -> 29% 
    "iPhone 8" -> 1% 

So far, "Pro" Apple products are more expensive, and/or physically "better" and/or faster and/or have more features than the basic models.
    So far, "Edition" Apple products - only the Watch up to this point - are the same as the basic model but with fancier enclosure materials.

I think it makes sense for Apple to release a variant of the iPhone "7S Plus" that has a better screen and enclosure.
    AMOLED screen for better battery life and possibly thinner form factor, with a ceramic back in an exclusive color.
    (I would absolutely love a bezel-free screen, because it should make the iPhone physically smaller with the same usable screen area.)
    The iPhone "Edition" would go for a premium price, of course.  I'd buy one.  Even if it was (yuck) white, like the Apple Watch Edition.

P.S. I would love it if Apple dropped the numbering scheme entirely.  Keep it simple with just "iPhone SE", "iPhone", "iPhone Plus", "iPhone Edition".
    iPhone is the only Apple device that has a "generation number" in its product name any more.
    Dropping the number would make competing product names sound old-fashioned and oh-so-20th-century.
  • Reply 33 of 66
    mrshow said:
    If so, Windows 95 must be 85 versions newer than Windows 10.
    pscooter63
  • Reply 34 of 66
    mrshow said:
    If so, Windows 95 must be 85 versions newer than Windows 10.
    in case you missed it there was a Window 7 then 8 then because of protest 8.1 and windows 9 that got renamed 10 to try to get some closure on the Bad Press "Microsoft" was having and to Brake a losing streak. Now apple has had the Most awful run in with this Product called iPhone the first model was a 2G could't be bothered with a 1 and then the 3G instead of a 3H which would have been logical. Because of the Confusion the decide to drop the letter with the 4 only to add a "s" to the moniker when they failed to deliver on the new Teardrop iPhone we were Promised so who know what will be next. I hope Apple is taking enough time to read all the rumour sights so that they can make some late production changes in time for the release this fall.  /s
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 66
    beltsbearbeltsbear Posts: 314member
    supadav03 said:
    The thing I don't understand about this is, who would buy the 7S if the 8 is also available (or is going to be shortly after)? I get there a budget  conscious people, but wouldn't they just opt for a iphone 6S or 6 on a deep discount or even an iPhone SE?
    Because the 6S will disappear, the 7S will replace it and be the same phone with small upgrades and it will be cheaper.  The 8 might be $200 higher than the 7S.
  • Reply 36 of 66
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,884member
    jkichline said:
    supadav03 said:

2) Apple wants to compete against lower cost offerings. They have "shown their hand" with the latest iPad. I expect them to reduce prices on products to increase market share and they will likely do this with a three tier pricing strategy.

3) New changes to an existing product line is risky. Apple doesn't mind having the "courage" to do this with smaller revenue streams (MacBook Pro), but iPhone is their current cash cow. I suspect that they tested the market resistance by removing the headphone jack in the iPhone 7 to gauge what would happen. They need to maintain or reduce pricing for their main product line.

Wait but why? Why do they need to lower their prices in order to capture larger market share, considering they're presently sucking up all of the profit by focusing on the high end? This seems to be the "Apple needs to sacrifice profits to gain market share!" argument. Again.

Also, how was changing their main profit driver, the iPhone, by removing the historic legacy audio port not risky?
  • Reply 37 of 66
    They're going to release both because the iPhone 8 will be more expensive and they'll use it as an upsell device. That's why they created the iPad Pro vs. putting all that technology into the iPad Air and raising the price $100 (or more). The iPhone 8 will be the phone everyone wants, the 7S will be the right price point and Schiller's job will be to convince people to spend more money and get an 8. Apple has no problem making product lines complex in the service of upselling.
    No. The "It's decoy product line!" is one of the dumbest conspiracy theories I've ever heard about Apple. Almost as bad as claiming they cause intentional supply constraint to drive up hype by not selling when they could be selling. The reality is, different products exist at different price tiers because they offer different features and thus different values to (wait for it) different customers. Not every customer needs every feature.

Going thru all the design, engineering, manufacturing, and logistic challenges to produce a new product just as a decoy -- i.e., to not sell it -- doesnt make any sense whatsoever. It's the stuff that people who don't actually produce things dream up in their heads, perhaps to make themselves feel better about buying lower-tier products or something, who knows. But it's not logical, that's for sure.
    edited April 2017 mattinozmejsricwatto_cobrapscooter63radarthekat
  • Reply 38 of 66
    tshapi said:

The technology for the iPhone 8, is probably severely constrained.  Apple probably is releasing an iPhone 7s and along with a redesigned iPhone to ease bottleneck from the oled 
    They can't decide to release two entirely different models last minute to alleviate supply constraint. These things are planned well in advance.
    watto_cobrapscooter63
  • Reply 39 of 66
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,322member
    supadav03 said:

Actually, it makes perfect sense. If the rumors turn out to be true, the iPhone 8 will occupy a new pricing tier above that of Apple's current flagship model. Apple can't leave the previous price tier empty, nor can they fill it with a dated older model. The only logical move is to also release a traditional s-model update with the same pricing and styling as last year's model but with significantly improved internals such as the processor, camera, and/or new features like 3D touch.

The other option is 8 and 7splus are the same price but the 8 is 4inch new screen tech while the 7s stays current sizes and screen tech but bumps all to 3x. 
  • Reply 40 of 66
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member

Apple has been uncharacteristically verbose about future plans

No, they haven't announced the "iPhone 8," but they have been very obviously pointing to a big selling point of the device.

But for the first time, Apple is talking about future technologies of great interest to the company, declaring a focus on specific user segments, and in some cases hammering the point home on multiple occasions. Technology for the "iPhone 8" is no exception.

In an interview in February, Apple CEO Tim Cook heralded augmented reality as a "big idea," right up there next to the smartphone itself.

"The smartphone is for everyone, we don't have to think the iPhone is about a certain demographic, or country or vertical market: it's for everyone. I think AR is that big, it's huge," Cook said. "I get excited because of the things that could be done that could improve a lot of lives. And be entertaining."

Cook made similar comments with equal enthusiasm in past interviews, suggesting Apple is looking to market an AR or mixed reality system in the future.

Technologies surrounding perfected implementation of AR are expensive. Why not include them in a phone that may or may not cost in excess of $1000?
    What a very odd connection to make.
    edited April 2017