Why does Safari quit by itself?

Posted:
in macOS edited November 2015

For some reason if I leave my computer and come back later Safari has quit by itself. I can't figure it out.

In energy saver I unchecked the box to put the computer to sleep a long time ago.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13

sounds quite strange haven't seen it happen myself.

Do you have any extensions added to safari?

• Reply 2 of 13
    steve666steve666 Posts: 2,600member

I have ghostery, adblock and clicktoplugin

• Reply 3 of 13

mine does that ... has been for a long time (moths at least ... a year maybe?... maybe since 10.10?

It only quits though when there are no windows open. (but not right away like some apps... Preview, TextEdit come to mind... Safari doesn't quit for at least several minutes after the last window is closed.)

• Reply 4 of 13

I can't figure out why it does it.

My old Mac Mini is being used by my mother and that computer doesn't do it.

There is no option I can find that says quit safari at a certain time

• Reply 5 of 13

I really think (nothing to back it up though) that it's related to the same auto-quit behavior that the other Apple apps use (Preview, TextEdit, etc.) but for some reason it doesn't happen with Safari until some (longer) amount of time after you close the last window.  Then again, I could be way off base and it might be a bug rather than a feature.

• Reply 6 of 13

It may just be a bug but this computer has always done this and none of my other computers have ever done this.

I may just have to live with it but when it stops a download in progress it is really obnoxious

• Reply 7 of 13

Does yours do this even if you leave a window open? (I'm pretty sure mine only quits if there are no windows open on screen... I can't recall it ever quitting during a download.)

• Reply 8 of 13

I will test that out by leaving a window open but the other computer doesn't quit even when there is no window open.

• Reply 9 of 13
    Quote:

Originally Posted by steve666 View Post

I will test that out by leaving a window open but the other computer doesn't quit even when there is no window open.

Same here ... it happens on the iMac (mid 2011) all the time, but never on the MacBookAir (mid 2013)... both running 10.11.1 (but the behavior goes back at least to 10.10.x)

• Reply 10 of 13
    Quote:

Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

Same here ... it happens on the iMac (mid 2011) all the time, but never on the MacBookAir (mid 2013)... both running 10.11.1 (but the behavior goes back at least to 10.10.x)

Nobody knows why or how to fix it?

• Reply 11 of 13
    Has anyone figured it out by now?
    Just quit again during a download. So annoying
  • Reply 12 of 13
    lexolexo Posts: 26member
    Well..i don't know if this might help but one of my co-workers had this similar problem. The solution was to reinstall Yosemite, which was actually quite easy to do. Apple has a support page instructing you how to do it: https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT204904
  • Reply 13 of 13
    I'm on Sierra, dont want to go back to an old OS