Apple officially announces June 5 WWDC keynote via media invitations

Comments

• Reply 21 of 57
    macapfelmacapfel Posts: 575member

macapfel said:
    The problem with this announcement is: it sounds as if Apple is seeking inspiration from the developer community. Usually, Apple is the source of inspiration. Not the other way round.
    Citation needed. 
    "talents to help us change the world" – it says on the invitation. Or in brief: "help us, talents"
    edited May 2017 singularity
  • Reply 22 of 57
    minglok50minglok50 Posts: 59member
    minglok50 said:
    How about an announcement that Apple will let users run OS X on HP Workstations since it is obvious nobody at One Infinite Loop cares about anything other than mobile devices and rental services.
    Didn't Apple already announce there were MacPro and displays on it's way? What's your point?
    Real Artists Ship
    They admitted they are over a year out, which tells us the cupboard is bare.
    Apple could easily let mac OS run on HP Workstations that are up to spec. They do not have to do unlimited licensing and Workstation market users are not impressed with how thin or how whatever the design is. HP is selling Xeon class workstations with Nvidia 2GB RAM GPUs for less than stopped out Mac mini.

The keys to Hackintosh vs Macintosh is the EFI and I am sure H-P could adapt their designs quickly if they could get some extra sales. 

Steve Jobs first job was at H-P and Woz worked there as well. This would let Apple concentrate on skinny underpowered laptops that are fashion statements and H-P can sell the more serious hardware for people who use their computers for more than Facebook.

I have a 2010 Mac Pro and am tired of waiting.
    What was wrong with the 2013 Mac Pro then? I have one and it's doing me fine. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 57
    These invites really haven't been clever since Steve died. They're boring.
  • Reply 24 of 57
    I hate to do this to myself again (create expectations based on my own theories and hopes).. but I'm getting pretty excited about the possibility of a new and significantly improved Apple TV. Things seem to be lining up that way.. lack of Apple TV update in a while, phil's comments on the need of a screen for a voice first device (likely referring to the TV, or maybe iPad stand with speaker, but certainly not the hideous thing amazon came out with), delay of Apple's video programming (making WWDC a likely time to reveal/start), report of emphasis on music videos in the next Apple Music* update, lack of airport update.. and if Apple adds any combination of: camera, direction-detecting microphone, facial recognition, gesture control.. it should be pretty great. Fingers crossed!
    edited May 2017 watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 57
    *Please Apple.. FFS.. enable sub-genre support in Apple Music. How this is not supported is *^$%**$ unbelievable.
    pscooter63
  • Reply 26 of 57
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,904member
    bdkennedy said:
    Kinda like your always anti-Apple posts...They're getting old.
    StrangeDayschiamejsricwatto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 57
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    nht said:
    By moving to USB-C they just replaced the dongles on the 2015 MBP to a single 2.6"x2.6"x0.66" USB-C adapter with ethernet, hdmi, vga and usb 3.0 for $60 or a full fledged TB3 dock
    Never mind carries 100W of power!

As to what I'd like to see at WWDC, let's redo iTunes again from the ground up. Why not. Change the design or whatever–that doesn't really matter as much (please bring back the ability to resize our artwork, because for fuck's sake, what's the point of having pretty artwork if it has to be so tiny)–but fix whatever problem it has with opening and moving between metadata views. It shouldn't take an entire second to move from one item to the next and it shouldn't take three seconds to WRITE A SINGLE BYTE OF DATA to them in rapid succession. Maybe it's just a problem with large libraries, but it shouldn't be a problem at all.
    edited May 2017 SpamSandwichwatto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 57
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    nht said:
    By moving to USB-C they just replaced the dongles on the 2015 MBP to a single 2.6"x2.6"x0.66" USB-C adapter with ethernet, hdmi, vga and usb 3.0 for $60 or a full fledged TB3 dock
    Never mind carries 100W of power!

As to what I'd like to see at WWDC, let's redo iTunes again from the ground up. Why not. Change the design or whatever–that doesn't really matter as much (please bring back the ability to resize our artwork, because for fuck's sake, what's the point of having pretty artwork if it has to be so tiny)–but fix whatever problem it has with opening and moving between metadata views. It shouldn't take an entire second to move from one item to the next and it shouldn't take three seconds to WRITE A SINGLE BYTE OF DATA to them in rapid succession. Maybe it's just a problem with large libraries, but it shouldn't be a problem at all.
    I'm not sure it'll ever be possible to escape the tarpit that is iTunes unless they give the full rework to an outside firm, then bring it back in-house for final implementation. It's bogged down with legacy crud.
    edited May 2017 singularity
  • Reply 29 of 57
    boboliciousbobolicious Posts: 1,163member
    nht said:
     Will we get the option to change speed and size of drives and ram as needs might change, and that a cadre of easily lost and clunky dongles will be phased out...? ...
    Effing tired of this whine.  By moving to USB-C they just replaced the dongles on the 2015 MBP to a single 2.6"x2.6"x0.66" USB-C adapter with ethernet, hdmi, vga and usb 3.0 for $60 or a full fledged TB3 dock requiring only a single cable connection to attach to everything on your desktop.

Get over it.
    ...how does such an adapter connect to an LED Cinema Display, or target display iMac, or displayport monitor - we know how well the LG monitors rolled out, assuming we should all be willing to go out and roll over perfectly good (arguably better) existing monitors...
    So be tired of the whine, but please get your facts and suggestions straight too...
    ...the OWC dock still seems in preorder stage: https://eshop.macsales.com/preorder/owc-thunderbolt-3-dock/
    I have macs and a $1k 4k monitor for doorstops still, keeping the faith...
    My next hope to test after 8 months: http://www.uptab.com/uptab-usb-c-to-mini-displayport-adapter-silver.html

Let the next round of pain begin with a corporate calendar WWDC, shareholder corporate obligation and Sierra still in a state of  'public beta'...
    edited May 2017 avon b7
  • Reply 30 of 57
    minglok50 said:
    minglok50 said:
    How about an announcement that Apple will let users run OS X on HP Workstations since it is obvious nobody at One Infinite Loop cares about anything other than mobile devices and rental services.
    Didn't Apple already announce there were MacPro and displays on it's way? What's your point?
    Real Artists Ship
    They admitted they are over a year out, which tells us the cupboard is bare.
    Apple could easily let mac OS run on HP Workstations that are up to spec. They do not have to do unlimited licensing and Workstation market users are not impressed with how thin or how whatever the design is. HP is selling Xeon class workstations with Nvidia 2GB RAM GPUs for less than stopped out Mac mini.

The keys to Hackintosh vs Macintosh is the EFI and I am sure H-P could adapt their designs quickly if they could get some extra sales. 

Steve Jobs first job was at H-P and Woz worked there as well. This would let Apple concentrate on skinny underpowered laptops that are fashion statements and H-P can sell the more serious hardware for people who use their computers for more than Facebook.

I have a 2010 Mac Pro and am tired of waiting.
    What was wrong with the 2013 Mac Pro then? I have one and it's doing me fine. 
    If you do not mind a mess of cables, wall warts and a computer that cannot take standard cards and drives, go ahead. The Cylinder is the Cube redone.
  • Reply 31 of 57
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,437member
    I think something big could be coming because there's really been no reliable leaks regarding iOS 11 features and MacOSsomeplaceinCA  

Apple can keep the really big secrets (Swift) from leaks. 

They can impress me with 

• Airplay 2.0 -  Hirez support and 5.1/7.2 support with multi-room sync 
    • Dark Mode - I'm starting to really like some of the dark mode apps I use.  
    • SwiftScript -  I realize there's a ton of investment in X-Callback but man having a portion of Swift optimized for scripting would be ApplescriptAwesome 
    • AFPS -  It's likely coming but here's hoping there's solid functionality (management) 
    • MARM - Mac on ARM.  This is the Apple vision of the netcentric Chromebook like product.   
    • iTunes Dismantled -  Take it down to studs....rebuild it right. 
    edited May 2017 Solitallest skilscrittoresabino
  • Reply 32 of 57
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,038member
    I think something big could be coming because there's really been no reliable leaks regarding iOS 11 features and MacOSsomeplaceinCA  

Apple can keep the really big secrets (Swift) from leaks. 

They can impress me with 

Airplay 2.0 -  Hirez support and 5.1/7.2 support with multi-room sync 

Dark Mode - I'm starting to really like some of the dark mode apps I use.  

SwiftScript -  I realize there's a ton of investment in X-Callback but man having a portion of Swift optimized for scripting would be ApplescriptAwesome 

AFPS -  It's likely coming but here's hoping there's solid functionality (management) 

MARM - Mac on ARM.  This is the Apple vision of the netcentric Chromebook like product.   

iTunes Dismantled -  Take it down to studs....rebuild it right. 
    I'm not sure what to expect, but I like what you've proposed.
    hmurchison
  • Reply 33 of 57
    Have to disagree with this statement "Unlike in years past, where Apple has hyped WWDC keynotes with splashy graphics and taglines that create intrigue, this year's media invitation is decidedly low-key. There are no hints about what the company could be unveiling at this year's event" 1) What exactly makes this more "low-key"? What is the criteria for that? Color has varied a good amount throughout the years, and here there is plenty of color. 2) "No hints"? First, for several years (even while Steve Jobs was alive) some of the tag lines seemed to not pan out to anything real. Here there are several things that may be hints: What are those people doing? What exactly are they holding? How are they interacting with each other? They seem to mostly be in communication and close contact, some are even connected. Few are alone. While this whole depiction can simple represent the developer community, it is no more of a stretch to speculate beyond that like so many have done in the past (again, mostly the speculation came to nothing). That is just briefly speculating on the picture aspect. The verbiage can also be taken to ponderous dreaming like we have in the past. "Technology is not enough" - The liberal arts and ideas are mentioned, as well as bringing people together. That directly speaks to the conference itself and bringing developers together. Apple has been talking more and more about services. What if this alludes to more than the obvious, and is hinting at a new service(s) or approach to some services. The picture is people communicating with each other, in what appears to be a variety of ways. I've always imagined what if Apple took the same model is has for Apps and applied that to media content? Or something completely different like completely unifying Messages, FaceTime, Email, Phone, Meetings and more into a singular platform (many products do this now in the business world, but all feel clunky) 3) This invite has a decidedly different visual design. There will always be the Apple. In the past it has consistently been design elements incorporated inside the Apple, or more a play on color and shape. Much like the singular tag line, the design in the past seemed more singular in its central focus on the Apple. Here there seems to be a theme of relationship, connection and togetherness - in the obvious direct relation to the event itself, but again, it could be much more, Not only are the people in interactions with one another, but at the center of it all is Apple, providing that connectedness. There will be lots of features and refinements. I am expecting some new approach to service(s) or platforms or tools. I could be just dreaming, but hey, we did that before and still got pleasantly surprised many times (who saw Swift coming? or Apple designing its own chips? - we were too focused on the physical hardware)
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 57
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    nht said:
     Will we get the option to change speed and size of drives and ram as needs might change, and that a cadre of easily lost and clunky dongles will be phased out...? ...
    Effing tired of this whine.  By moving to USB-C they just replaced the dongles on the 2015 MBP to a single 2.6"x2.6"x0.66" USB-C adapter with ethernet, hdmi, vga and usb 3.0 for $60 or a full fledged TB3 dock requiring only a single cable connection to attach to everything on your desktop.

Get over it.
    ...how does such an adapter connect to an LED Cinema Display, or target display iMac, or displayport monitor - we know how well the LG monitors rolled out, assuming we should all be willing to go out and roll over perfectly good (arguably better) existing monitors...

For display port you buy a different adapter that has DP rather than HDMI.  There are a half dozen USB-C docks with DP.  Most more than $60 but fairly compact.
    So be tired of the whine, but please get your facts and suggestions straight too...
    ...the OWC dock still seems in preorder stage: https://eshop.macsales.com/preorder/owc-thunderbolt-3-dock/
    There are plenty of USB-C/TB-3 docks on Amazon to buy from HP, Kensington, Cal-Digit, StarTech, etc.  Many have displayport output.
    I have macs and a $1k 4k monitor for doorstops still, keeping the faith... 
    My next hope to test after 8 months: http://www.uptab.com/uptab-usb-c-to-mini-displayport-adapter-silver.html
    Or just buy a USBC/TB3 cable that has DP on the other end.  No dongle required but it does require the ability to fog a mirror and search "usb-c to mini displayport" on Amazon.  I guess that's just too damn hard for some people.

"this works with my new MacBook Pro 13" Touchbar Model and my 27" Apple LED Cinema Display with Mini Displayport. Seamless!"

"Bought to use with my old apple led Cinema Display (27" - from late 2010) with my new mac book pro 13" with touch bar. It works perfectly! Including the front camera, speakers and the old USB hub behind the screen (if you connect the USB using a USB c adapter as well). Very happy with product!"

https://www.amazon.com/ITANDA-DisplayPort-Cable-USB-C-Adapter/dp/B01N6R3E0W/ref=sr_1_26?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1494385998&sr=1-26-spons&keywords=USB-C+to+mini+displayport&psc=1

My facts are straight because I can fog a mirror and search amazon for products I need rather than just moan about how terrible Apple is for moving to the standard port that everyone will be using from here on out.

chiawatto_cobrafastasleepAppleZulu
  • Reply 35 of 57
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 13,037member
    macapfel said:

macapfel said:
    The problem with this announcement is: it sounds as if Apple is seeking inspiration from the developer community. Usually, Apple is the source of inspiration. Not the other way round.
    Citation needed. 
    "talents to help us change the world" – it says on the invitation. Or in brief: "help us, talents"
    Or dear lord are you fucking serious? No, it doesn't sound as if that's the case at all. You are trying too hard. Repeat -- you are trying too hard! 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 36 of 57

bdkennedy said:
    Ah so now Jobs was writing their invite copy too.  Uh huh. smfh
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 37 of 57

MARM - Mac on ARM.  This is the Apple vision of the netcentric Chromebook like product.   
    This already exists, it's an ipad. Apple's less-functional netbook device is an ipad. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 38 of 57

This already exists, it's an ipad. Apple's less-functional netbook device is an ipad. 
    He means macOS on ARM, not OS X.
  • Reply 39 of 57
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,437member
    Soli said:

Yes I still like my iOS products but a web centric device is more about leveraging web technologies and maintaining a lightweight footprint.  
  • Reply 40 of 57
    Soli said:

Yes I still like my iOS products but a web centric device is more about leveraging web technologies and maintaining a lightweight footprint.  
    There's this weird notion that the Mac can't be powerful and use an ARM processor without being forced to use iOS and a touchscreen UI. I don't understand why this rigid mindset exists, especially for the one company that has converted their desktop OS many times over, but it does.