renting a mac need advice!!! aussie advice also needed

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Hi,

Gonna get my first mac however have to rent. i just dont have A$4500 for a 17inch imac. so has anybody ever done this? also to any aussies out there is nextbyte a good/reputable mac reseller?

any other advice would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    elricelric Posts: 230member
    Do they offer the Apple Instant Loan program over there?
  • Reply 2 of 7
    Never heard an unkind word about Nextbyte -- they're a big outfit with a name to protect. That said, are you sure that you want to rent? There's a few places that sell pre-loved macs with shortish warranties (e.g. 3 months or so). Wouldn't it be better to own a slightly older machine? I've resorted to 2nd hand macs for several years while studying, never had any major problems.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    I'd give you a good deal on my 266 G3 iMac (origional) or my 466 iBook .... renting a computer just seems like SUCH a waste of money ...

In any case... I'd try to find a used computer ... even a G3 will run OS X adequately. If you find one that looks nice, then it's probably been treated nice and should last quite a while yet.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    Apple doesn't have a financing program for individuals in Australia. The system is you buy a computer from a reseller, and a company named "Flexirent" buys the computer for you. You then have to pay Flexirent back over 2, 3 or 4 years.

At the end of this time, you either give the computer back, upgrade to a new model, or pay a "fair market price" for the machine.

Now, this is expensive. Flexirent costs roughly 150% the outright buy price of the machine (in the 3 year plan). However, it's very simple, and people like that. It's a very good idea to pay the 5% extra for insurance.

A 17" iMac costs $3795, not $4500. And eMacs are great at $1995.

NextByte are not bad, but they arn't good either. Once they sell you the box (always at RRP, and no extras), that's all they care about. Where do you live in Australia?

You can get a booklet on Flexirent from your local Apple reseller.

Barto
  • Reply 5 of 7
    robbyrobby Posts: 108member
    [quote]Originally posted by Barto:

<strong>Apple doesn't have a financing program for individuals in Australia. The system is you buy a computer from a reseller, and a company named "Flexirent" buys the computer for you. You then have to pay Flexirent back over 2, 3 or 4 years.

At the end of this time, you either give the computer back, upgrade to a new model, or pay a "fair market price" for the machine.

Now, this is expensive. Flexirent costs roughly 150% the outright buy price of the machine (in the 3 year plan). However, it's very simple, and people like that. It's a very good idea to pay the 5% extra for insurance.

NextByte are not bad, but they arn't good either. Once they sell you the box (always at RRP, and no extras), that's all they care about. Where do you live in Australia?

Barto</strong><hr></blockquote>

thanks for the response. thing is i know the imac costs $3795. but add 256 mb ram, applecare

warranty( still cant understand why it went up)and also a printer. i would have purchased an imac outright but apple no longer offered the $ 3000 price point)

rent smart the finance company that works through nextbyte also offer $200 at officeworks
  • Reply 6 of 7
    robbyrobby Posts: 108member
    [quote]Originally posted by Barto:

<strong>Apple doesn't have a financing program for individuals in Australia. The system is you buy a computer from a reseller, and a company named "Flexirent" buys the computer for you. You then have to pay Flexirent back over 2, 3 or 4 years.

Barto</strong><hr></blockquote>

thanks for the response. thing is i know the imac costs $3795. but add 256 mb ram, applecare

warranty( still cant understand why it went up)and also a printer. i would have purchased an imac outright but apple no longer offered the $ 3000 price point)

rent smart the finance company that works through nextbyte also offer $200 at officeworks
  • Reply 7 of 7
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    If you can afford a $3000 Mac, I would advise you to not rent and get a 15" iMac, or SuperDrive eMac (with AppleCare and extra RAM). Save all the hassle, and wasted money.

"rent smart the finance company that works through nextbyte also offer $200 at officeworks"

That's a bit incomprehensible. Do you mean they bundle Office for $200?

Barto