New mockup photos purport to show final design of Apple's 'iPhone 8'

Comments

• Reply 21 of 48
    supadav03supadav03 Posts: 504member
    volcan said:
    macxpress said:
    Why would you not use a case so the phone can look like shit in a month or two? These phones look nice yes, but they also scratch and dent pretty easily. Once that happens its no longer pretty anymore. Also, good luck when you drop it. I know you might think well just don't drop it...well shit happens. 
    Neither Steve, Tim or Craig use a case. They all showed their naked iPhones when asked about it in a interview.

My 3 year old iPhone 6 is in absolute pristine condition. It has fallen on a wood floor once from about 3 feet high but not a mark on it. I am pretty careful with it and I keep in my front pocket all by itself. Besides I never sell them when I upgrade anyway. Too much of a hassle. I sometimes give them away. All of the iPhones I have owned have always looked perfect on the day they were retired. Even the one that went through the washing machine still looks great, although it was completely dead when it came out.

Well the rest of us can't just swap out our iPhones at will if it scratches or dents like I'm sure Steve, Tim, & Craig can...
    lorin schultzmobius
  • Reply 22 of 48
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    supadav03 said:
    Well the rest of us can't just swap out our iPhones at will if it scratches or dents like I'm sure Steve, Tim, & Craig can...
    A case just ruins the experience for me. The phone slides so effortlessly in and out of my pocket.
  • Reply 23 of 48
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    Extra thickness maybe? Just fine, current iPhones (especially the Plus) feel uncomfortably thin anyway.
  • Reply 24 of 48
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,123member
    I know it's a mockup, but that polished metal look really tacky.  I hope they make it look like a modern take of the iPhone4 with glass on both sides, and a stainless still perimeter.  Still my all-time favorite design.
  • Reply 25 of 48
    I've dropped my 5S on concrete a few times, lots of times other places. Never used a case; it just has some love nicks on the diamond-chamfered edges. 
  • Reply 26 of 48
    Love the Stainless Steel again, makes it feel much more premium like the Apple Watch, I'm guessing Apple will have regular polished Stainless and Space Black at a premium just like the Watch. Can not wait if they got the Touch ID under the display for sure, now my only question is the front cams and sensors, are they under the display as well, or will we still have a slight top bezel. Looks super clean tho no gimmicky curved display crap nice clean slab of Stainless & Glass. Will have best build quality in the business once again since every phone manufacturer around switched to aluminum just like Apple now anyways. Camera bump, who care as long as it not touching or getting in the way when I'm holding the phone, Apple will go all out on the Cam this year again.
    doozydozen
  • Reply 27 of 48
    anomeanome Posts: 1,544member

OK, so only a couple of posts in and we started on "Everyone uses a case!"/"Using a case is stupid!" so how much longer before "Looks the same as iPhone 6!" starts up?

Don't know how I feel about this one. It doesn't really excite me. If they go with zero-bezel, soft Home Button, I need to see how it's implemented in the OS before making a decision.

• Reply 28 of 48
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    subbies said:
    Looks like every other IPhone..... lucky the OS is the best in the business or I would change to another brand. 
    Yes because android iPhone knockoffs don't look like iPhone. /s

this is the shit android users say. I read an iKnockoff user post "wow a new rectangle!" Regarding a new iPhone as if their iKnockoff is any different.

want something different?

try Blackberry Passport, a flip phone or i.am.plus Dial. 
    mejsricigorskyStrangeDaysstarwars
  • Reply 29 of 48
    EvilSLJEvilSLJ Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    doesn't it look liked an iPhone 7 without the "HOME" button??? may be significant technologies upgrade, but appearance wise, not much... I expect more from Apple, this design is 4th year old...
  • Reply 30 of 48
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 1,110member
    Unimpressed. I'll happily keep my 7+ and wait for the liquid metal stealth iPhone, if ever.
  • Reply 31 of 48
    jagnutjagnut Posts: 25member

volcan said:
    mike1 said:
     The vast majority of people use a case anyway,...
    I have never used a case. iPhone is so beautiful, why would I want to cover it up? Using a case on an iPhone is like having a beautiful wife and making her wear a burka. 
    Yeah except for the dents and scratches. 

volcan said:
    mike1 said:
    I have never used a case. iPhone is so beautiful, why would I want to cover it up? Using a case on an iPhone is like having a beautiful wife and making her wear a burka. 
    Yeah except for the dents and scratches. 
    The beautiful wife that is?  🙀
    Rayz2016
  • Reply 32 of 48
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    This always happens. Folk jump in and go mental over a mockup, and the new model always looks better in real life. 

StrangeDays
  • Reply 33 of 48
    bestkeptsecretbestkeptsecret Posts: 4,276member

WTF? The front is the same as the previous iPhone? That's settled, I'm not buying this!!

/s

doozydozen
  • Reply 34 of 48
    macxpress said:
    volcan said:
    mike1 said:
    Why would you not use a case so the phone can look like shit in a month or two? These phones look nice yes, but they also scratch and dent pretty easily. Once that happens its no longer pretty anymore. Also, good luck when you drop it. I know you might think well just don't drop it...well shit happens. 
    Why would you not use a case?! Why choose between the colour options if it'll be hidden away anyway, why pay premium for gloss black if once it's in a case it just looks like any other iphone. I never used a case on my 5 and several years later it didn't look much different from new, the screen was mint, the edges had 1 ding where it fell out my pocket exiting a car and bounced onto tarmac. I reluctantly use a case on my 6S but it is because the damn thing slips out of my grip continually and the camera bump snagged on my pocket which coupled with the lack of grip resulted in even more drops. 

It's like buying a new car and keeping it in the garage in case it gets scratched.  :s
  • Reply 35 of 48
    rotateleftbyterotateleftbyte Posts: 1,630member
    macxpress said:
    I'd rather it be a little thicker. I don't know what the fascination is with thin iPhones. It gets to a point to where the phone is actually hard to handle because its too thin.
    subbies said:
    Looks like every other IPhone..... lucky the OS is the best in the business or I would change to another brand. 
    Why do we care if the phone is different looking? If its a good design, then stick with it. Not every single iPhone has to have a completely new design. There are only so many ways you can make a rectangle look.
      You are probably right but there are far too many people calling the design 'old' and 'out dated' on forums like this. They appear to only want the kudos from showing off their new bit of bling to their friends.
    Fashion over function.

One day they will mature as a person and realise that it really does not matter to real friends if you have the latest bit of bling or not.
    Sorry to be blunt but that is how I see it. Once upon a time I was as the Kinks song goes, a 'Dedicated Follower of Fashion'. Heck, I even spent the summer of '69 working in a boutique on London's Kings Road and even though I am not gay, I wore a lot of Pink because it was in fashion (and was cheap from where I worked).
    You would not see me dead wearing pink these days(apart from the pink on my Rugby Club tie) and T.B.H. I am almost the most unfashionable person around and I don't really care a jot.

• Reply 36 of 48
    lorin schultzlorin schultz Posts: 2,771member
    adm1 said:
    It's like buying a new car and keeping it in the garage in case it gets scratched.  :s
    I agree, if that's the reason. In my case, I don't care at all about scratches or dings. I consider it a badge of honour if my devices show evidence of being worked hard. That said, over the years I have had to replace my phone three times because of whoopthie smash, and that gets expensive.

Now my phone lives in an Otter case. Two of the eight or nine times I've dropped it have been down an escalator and so far it still works, so I figure it's probably a good idea for any phone in my possession to wear an outfit out in public. Like maybe a suit of armor.
  • Reply 37 of 48
    FatmanFatman Posts: 513member
    Decoy photo - the new iPhone will be foldable ... I know.
  • Reply 38 of 48
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    cali said:
    Front looks cool but the rear camera bothers me. Certainly in 2017 there's a way they can make it disappear? Eliminate the bump and the ring. I don't know why it has a ring other than to show the person where not to place their finger? I would have a silver/white ring light up while the camera is activated.

RTC said:
    Royfb said:
    Looks really thick?
    You understand what a mockup is, do you?! LOL

I'm pretty sure it's a mockup of actual rumored dimensions. Either way nothing is confirmed and this should be just for fun.
    No they can't remove the bump, physics is the same in 2017 than 2010; look it up.
    igorsky
  • Reply 39 of 48
    Apple has ditched the camera bump on the new iPad and has made it thicker. I don't expect any more camera bump on the new iPhone(s) either. Especially if the back is glass. Most probably the camera will be flush with the glass, just like iPhone 4.
    The camera in the Iphone 4 had a much smaller sensor and Apple didn't have to compete with the big sensors like in the S8 and Pixel, so the bump is staying put.
  • Reply 40 of 48
    Let it be thicker (than shown), thus delivering on 2 common asks:
       1. Longer battery life (fill the space with a bigger battery)
       2. Flush back-camera

Flush back not happening (because Samsung competition in cameras (and Chinese too) they have to put the biggest sensor they can get away with).