Apple release of iTunes on Windows Store foreshadows 'tipping point,' Microsoft exec says

Posted:
in General Discussion
Touting the benefits of Windows 10 S in a recent interview, Microsoft CVP of Windows Joe Belfiore said Apple's decision to list iTunes in the Windows Store suggests the platform is approaching a "tipping point."

Speaking with Business Insider at Microsoft's Build conference last week, Belfiore said the current state of computing requires Windows to integrate with products marketed by rivals, like iPhone and Android handsets. As part of the approach, the tech giant is looking to expand into education with Windows 10 S, a move meant to target young users already accustomed to a multi-platform lifestyle.

While not implicit in Belfiore's commentary, the executive alludes that Apple, too, must play ball if it wants to build on newfound success in the services industry. In particular, Belfiore mentioned Apple's decision to release a version of iTunes on the Windows Store.

As AppleInsider noted last week, Apple is looking to address the forthcoming Windows 10 S operating system, which restricts app downloads to titles distributed through Microsoft's official digital storefront. A streamlined OS, Windows 10 S needs built-in app regulations to ensure fast boot times, easy deployment and reduced "software rot," Microsoft says.

These same restrictions are helping Windows Store grow. As Windows 10 is only two years old, its app store is far from mature and boasts only a small sampling of titles compared to the iOS and Mac App Stores.

For companies like Apple, however, the Windows Store limitation meant it had to update its iTunes distribution policy to market music, movies and other wares to those students using Windows 10 S PCs.

Other companies keen on addressing what Microsoft considers a potential growth market followed suit. Spotify, for example, announced it would offer a Windows Store version of its streaming music app.

Belfiore says the ability to attract apps like iTunes and Spotify is a sign of things to come, the report said.

"We're starting to get to the tipping point," Belfiore said.

As Windows 10 continues to grow, so will the Windows Store and its potential to entice app developers. Microsoft is hoping at least some of those looking to code for Windows will be enticed by the Windows 10 S program, and not out of sheer market dynamics.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 40
    zimmermannzimmermann Posts: 325member
    Will iWorks follow?
  • Reply 2 of 40
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    "s"? Are you fu**ing serious? Damn no originality anymore. 

Apple really needs to make Apple TV more desirable. Give windows users ZERO reason to purchase content outside of iTunes. 
  • Reply 3 of 40
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    Will iWorks follow?
    No. This isn't a new strategy for Apple, it's a new one for MS.
    sphericmike1
  • Reply 4 of 40
    cali said:

Apple really needs to make Apple TV more desirable. Give windows users ZERO reason to purchase content outside of iTunes. 
    I don't understand your outrage. Windows 10 S solves a big issue with Windows. I've talked about Apple doing the same thing with an entry-level ARM-based Mac.

PS: Since you clearly mean fucking just write fucking. Words aren't actually cursed and removing a couple letters doesn't affect the intent.
    edited May 2017 edredStrangeDays
  • Reply 5 of 40
    tipping point for what?!  windows is an OS of convenience and affordability, once you try macOS, there is no turning back.
    mike54magman1979edredStrangeDaysbrakkenh2p
  • Reply 6 of 40
    tipping point for what?!  windows is an OS of convenience and affordability, once you try macOS, there is no turning back.
    It's spelled out in the article.

[…]

For companies like Apple, however, the Windows Store limitation meant it had to update its iTunes distribution policy to market music, movies and other wares to those students using Windows 10 S PCs.

Other companies keen on addressing what Microsoft considers a potential growth market followed suit. Spotify, for example, announced it would offer a Windows Store version of its streaming music app.

Belfiore says the ability to attract apps like iTunes and Spotify is a sign of things to come, the report said.

"We're starting to get to the tipping point," Belfiore said.

[…]

• Reply 7 of 40
    bestkeptsecretbestkeptsecret Posts: 4,265member
    cali said:

If we didn't know that Windows 10 is the last version of Windows (I'm sure I read that somewhere), here's where I'd postulate that MS would release Windows every year. Next year would be Windows 11, followed by Windows 11 S, then 12 followed by 12 S, etc.

However, now, they'll retain the "10" and just append different letters:

Windows 10 S  (School edition - the current one).

Windows 10 U  (Ultimate edition - best of Win10 and Win10 S).

Windows 10 C  (Convergence edition - everything converges - HoloLens, Laptops, Tablets).

Windows 10 K  (Killer edition - the next iOS killer).

Windows 10 S  (School edition 2!).

Solitokyojimusphericmike54tallest skilStrangeDaysroundaboutnowboltsfan17fastasleepbrakken
  • Reply 8 of 40
    cmka~+cmka~+ Posts: 40member
  • Reply 9 of 40
    glowearthglowearth Posts: 11member
    cali said:

If we didn't know that Windows 10 is the last version of Windows (I'm sure I read that somewhere), here's where I'd postulate that MS would release Windows every year. Next year would be Windows 11, followed by Windows 11 S, then 12 followed by 12 S, etc.

Windows 10 S  (School edition - the current one).

Windows 10 C  (Convergence edition - everything converges - HoloLens, Laptops, Tablets).

"SUCKS" lmao good one
    h2p
  • Reply 10 of 40
    rotateleftbyterotateleftbyte Posts: 1,630member
    Tipping point?

Well, that san swing both ways, up or down. {please make it down!}

MS seems to want to lock windows down entirely then they'll go
    "Look, unlock the power of your PC only $19.99/month"

I have one Windows 7 laptop remaining. Other than that it is all MacOS or Linux (CentOS).
    I've converted a good number of friends away from Windows. They were finding it was getting too much of a hassle every day.
    Secondhand Mac Mini's are perfect for these users. Replace the HDD with and SSD and you are good to go.
    Come on Apple, there is a market there for unhappy Windows 10 users to be converted. How about a programme to do it for them eh?

mike54
  • Reply 11 of 40
    cali said:

Windows 10 S  (School edition - the current one).

Oh, his issue is with the branding. I didn't pick up on that because Windows is a desktop OS with the 'S' for scholastic version and Apple only uses the 'S' for the second year iPhone HW with a very similar casing design.
  • Reply 12 of 40
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,560member
    Making 10S default exclusively to the Windows Store means the writing is on the wall that all future versions of Windows will funnel people to the store by default, and that things downloaded elsewhere are per se less trustworthy and will require extra steps to install/launch - just like on the Mac. 

If if you want to remain established on Windows, it's a good idea to support the store. 

In the least, it's a case of Apple eating its own dogfood. 
    mike1
  • Reply 13 of 40
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    Apple is just returning the favor for MS putting their products on Apple store for the iPhone and all the other things MS did to help support Apple. This is calls good business partners.
    h2p
  • Reply 14 of 40
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,560member
    mike54 said:
    Has Apple forgot about their Mac App Store? What is Apple doing? 
    What?
    StrangeDaysfastasleep
  • Reply 15 of 40
    The move highlights how much has changed in personal computing over the past years. I remember how big of a deal the porting of Explorer to MacOS and the public commitment to developing Office for Mac was (not to mention when Microsoft even invested $150 million in Apple 20 years ago...) when Apple's platform was in dire straits.

I don't think Apple's move means anything more than Apple has accomplished a huge feat -- to make itself relevant after courting death in the 1990s and early 2000s. Both platforms have passionate user bases that are in respectively large numbers that each company can come to the table as partners when needed. Even if the Mac platform continues to grow at the expense of Microsoft, the number of people switching to Macs is still likely a rounding error for Windows' installed base. That said, it's a happy reality to see so many MacBooks in cafés, the library, schools, etc.

Of course, it's a different story for mobile computing and communications... Microsoft really has an uphill battle in that area. To their credit, they seem to be working hard on their Surface machines and turning out compelling products (regardless of market uptake).
  • Reply 16 of 40
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    The move highlights how much has changed in personal computing over the past years. I remember how big of a deal the porting of Explorer to MacOS and the public commitment to developing Office for Mac was (not to mention when Microsoft even invested $150 million in Apple 20 years ago...) when Apple's platform was in dire straits.

Slight correction to an otherwise excellent post. It wasn't an "investment" as such. It was part of a settlement that arose from MS getting caught stealing QuickTime code, which effectively satisfied Apple to the degree that they stopped pursuing MS through the courts, which had they not done would have been far more onerous for the latter.
    edited May 2017
  • Reply 17 of 40
    leighrleighr Posts: 253member
    10S vs IOS   - hmmm... I see what they've done there.
  • Reply 18 of 40
    mike54 said:
    Personally, apart from OS updates I rarely use the Mac App Store. 99% of what is there does not interest me in the slightest.
    As I said, that is my POV. YMMV.

• Reply 19 of 40
    thedbathedba Posts: 763member
    spheric said:
    Making 10S default exclusively to the Windows Store means the writing is on the wall that all future versions of Windows will funnel people to the store by default, and that things downloaded elsewhere are per se less trustworthy and will require extra steps to install/launch - just like on the Mac. 

If if you want to remain established on Windows, it's a good idea to support the store. 

In the least, it's a case of Apple eating its own dogfood. 
    The question is will it succeed where the Mac app store has so far failed?
    Will MS convince developers one day to only post through the Windows store? 
  • Reply 20 of 40
    thedbathedba Posts: 763member
    mike54 said:
    The app store concept on the desktop is an adjustment for developers as well as Apple.
    For one thing, prices on software have come down quite a bit. Developers are now cringing anytime they consider sharing these reduced revenues with Apple, MS or whoever. 

Maybe now with Microsoft embracing the concept on a desktop OS, Apple can have a second go at convincing the various software providers that that is the best way for every one.