Apple release of iTunes on Windows Store foreshadows 'tipping point,' Microsoft exec says

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 40
    spheric said:
    Making 10S default exclusively to the Windows Store means the writing is on the wall that all future versions of Windows will funnel people to the store by default, and that things downloaded elsewhere are per se less trustworthy and will require extra steps to install/launch - just like on the Mac. 

But...despite the Mac App Store existing for years, this still isn't true. I still install more apps from outside the store than inside.
    Soli
  • Reply 22 of 40
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member
    Soli said:
    PS: Since you clearly mean fucking just write fucking. Words aren't actually cursed and removing a couple letters doesn't affect the intent.
    Well, you know the old saying, Soli:

"Sticks and stones may break my bones,
    But words are what we censor..."

;) 
    SoliStrangeDayscornchip
  • Reply 23 of 40
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,394member
    mike54 said:
    Has Apple forgot about their Mac App Store? What is Apple doing? 
    Huh?
  • Reply 24 of 40
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,394member
    I don't see this as a big deal. Apple has offered iTunes for Windows for ages. Why would they not one to be where potential customers might be? If MS is limiting 10S to the MS store only, it behooves Apple to be there.
    cornchip
  • Reply 25 of 40
    FatmanFatman Posts: 513member
    Now Apple needs to enforce vendors to use the MacOS App Store - this controlled model works very well for iOS. 

Adobe and Microsoft use their own installers on MacOS and sell
    outside of the store. It's an inconsistent mishmash. Also the selection of software is poor. Is it because developers don't want to pay an Apple fee or still not enough market share? 
  • Reply 26 of 40
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    thedba said:
    The question is will it succeed where the Mac app store has so far failed?
    Where has it failed, other than in “locking off parts of OS functionality for security reasons”? Isn’t getting rid of that the exact opposite of something you’d want from Microsoft? Or, since we’re Mac users, maybe it isn’t. If Microsoft puts actual effort (LOL) into curating their store and walls off the applications you find there, that would mean that regular stupid users might actually be SAFE (…ish) if the default setting is to refuse to install/download anything from other sources, since they’d be too stupid to change the setting.
    cornchip
  • Reply 27 of 40
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 13,034member
    mike54 said:
    Doing about what?
  • Reply 28 of 40
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 13,034member

thedba said:
    spheric said:
    Making 10S default exclusively to the Windows Store means the writing is on the wall that all future versions of Windows will funnel people to the store by default, and that things downloaded elsewhere are per se less trustworthy and will require extra steps to install/launch - just like on the Mac. 

If if you want to remain established on Windows, it's a good idea to support the store. 

In the least, it's a case of Apple eating its own dogfood. 
    Will MS convince developers one day to only post through the Windows store? 
    Food for thought -- Panic, one of the biggest critics of the MAS, just got p0wned (hacked and their source code stolen) due to downloading infected third-party software off the web. had the offending software been a MAS title, this would not have happened. There is some irony here. 
    Solispheric
  • Reply 29 of 40
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    Fatman said:
    outside of the store. It's an inconsistent mishmash. 
    The current Mac applications from Microsoft and Adobe do not conform to Apple's guidelines so they cannot be sold through the Mac App Store.

For starters, all apps in the Store must be built using Xcode APIs. Because both companies build apps for Mac and Windows they use C++ to make it easier to port them to each platform. Furthermore the first two Apple guidelines would automatically cause their applications to be rejected.

1. Apps that crash will be rejected
    2. Apps that exhibit bugs will be rejected

Read more here:
    https://developer.apple.com/app-store/review/guidelines/2016-06-13/mac/
    edited May 2017
  • Reply 30 of 40
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 2,023member
    volcan said:
    Fatman said:
    outside of the store. It's an inconsistent mishmash. 
    The current Mac applications from Microsoft and Adobe do not conform to Apple's guidelines so they cannot be sold through the Mac App Store.

For starters, all apps in the Store must be built using Xcode APIs. Because both companies build apps for Mac and Windows they use C++ to make it easier to port them to each platform. Furthermore the first two Apple guidelines would automatically cause their applications to be rejected.

1. Apps that crash will be rejected
    2. Apps that exhibit bugs will be rejected

Read more here:
    https://developer.apple.com/app-store/review/guidelines/2016-06-13/mac/

C++ is not the problem.   Lots of SW in MAS is or.contains C++
  • Reply 31 of 40
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    chadbag said:

C++ is not the problem.   Lots of SW in MAS is or.contains C++
    I probably overstated that but this is what is listed:

14. Apps must be packaged and submitted using Apple's packaging technologies included in Xcode.

There are perhaps dozens of reasons for rejection on the Apple guidelines list that Adobe and Microsoft applications could not easily comply with.
  • Reply 32 of 40
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,038member

thedba said:
    spheric said:

If if you want to remain established on Windows, it's a good idea to support the store. 

In the least, it's a case of Apple eating its own dogfood. 
    Will MS convince developers one day to only post through the Windows store? 
    Food for thought -- Panic, one of the biggest critics of the MAS, just got p0wned (hacked and their source code stolen) due to downloading infected third-party software off the web. had the offending software been a MAS title, this would not have happened. There is some irony here. 
    That might be the most insightful thing I've ever read on this forum.
  • Reply 33 of 40
    zimmermannzimmermann Posts: 336member
    I'm waiting for the iWork suite on MS10S.
  • Reply 34 of 40
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,450member
    glowearth said:
    cali said:
    "s"? Are you fu**ing serious? Damn no originality anymore. 

Apple really needs to make Apple TV more desirable. Give windows users ZERO reason to purchase content outside of iTunes. 

If we didn't know that Windows 10 is the last version of Windows (I'm sure I read that somewhere), here's where I'd postulate that MS would release Windows every year. Next year would be Windows 11, followed by Windows 11 S, then 12 followed by 12 S, etc.

However, now, they'll retain the "10" and just append different letters:

Windows 10 S  (School edition - the current one).

Windows 10 U  (Ultimate edition - best of Win10 and Win10 S).

Windows 10 C  (Convergence edition - everything converges - HoloLens, Laptops, Tablets).

Windows 10 K  (Killer edition - the next iOS killer).

Windows 10 S  (School edition 2!).

"SUCKS" lmao good one
    Thanks, Jay Leno, for explaining the joke. 
  • Reply 35 of 40
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,450member

mike54 said:
    Yes, they forgot about it and then found the Windows App Store and thought it was what they were looking for, and are recompiling everything for Windows and have no idea how they got here. Obviously. 
    cornchipStrangeDays
  • Reply 36 of 40
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,038member
    glowearth said:
    cali said:
    "s"? Are you fu**ing serious? Damn no originality anymore. 

Apple really needs to make Apple TV more desirable. Give windows users ZERO reason to purchase content outside of iTunes. 

If we didn't know that Windows 10 is the last version of Windows (I'm sure I read that somewhere), here's where I'd postulate that MS would release Windows every year. Next year would be Windows 11, followed by Windows 11 S, then 12 followed by 12 S, etc.

However, now, they'll retain the "10" and just append different letters:

Windows 10 S  (School edition - the current one).

Windows 10 U  (Ultimate edition - best of Win10 and Win10 S).

Windows 10 C  (Convergence edition - everything converges - HoloLens, Laptops, Tablets).

Windows 10 K  (Killer edition - the next iOS killer).

Windows 10 S  (School edition 2!).

"SUCKS" lmao good one
    Thanks, Jay Leno, for explaining the joke. 
    The nature of Internet forums means I don't read carefully and analyze every comment, so I did miss the joke until @glowearth pointed it out.
  • Reply 37 of 40
    brakkenbrakken Posts: 687member
    Maybe they'll finally start reformatting WinOS so it has universal binaries, is encrypted therefore reliable and safe, and completely does away with system registry - the tipping point being that WinOS has been a huge garbage pile of bs since WinNT was first extruded from the x86/Unix/win32 meat grinder in the late 90's... and now MS has finally realised they have to start again. I resemble your Mac mini story; I got the 2011 two years ago and it now has dual drives and 16GB RAM, and it easily out-performs my last UPC laptop from Toshiba. MS is dying and rightly so - the errors made by gates and balmer are still cascading through that company, and won't be fixed with a simple defrag! I expect Apple will continue chipping away at MS-users, but will have their own tipping point where they simply drop a building on MS, much like what happened to Crimson Permanent Assurance.
  • Reply 38 of 40
    AlinnenAlinnen Posts: 1member
    Converted? Sounds like a religion. Actually, I was an Apple user since the 80's and "converted" to the Windows 10... religion. I love Windows 10 and haven't once looked back. I find most (not all) people who make uncomplimentary remarks about Windows 10 have never used it.
    edited May 2017 singularity
  • Reply 39 of 40
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Alinnen said:
    I find most (not all) people who make uncomplimentary remarks about Windows 10 have never used it.
    You'll have to do better than that.