New Apple ads & redone 'Switch' site sell Android users on iPhone perks

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 60
    Give iOS a file manager and the Android fanboys will switch in a heartbeat.

Absolutely spot on!!! It is one of the key differentiators in the "user experience" between Android and iOS.
  • Reply 42 of 60
    kevin kee said:
    I think the messaging is great, but the content and tone seem like a mismatch. I think these ads would appeal more to people who are already Apple users, rather than potential switchers. Maybe Apple has some market research that says otherwise though.
    I thought it's pretty obvious. They are definitely for switchers - although not for nerds who own multiple latest phones. They aim more for house wife, teenagers, aunties, grandparents, people who have life outside of technology, people who scare of losing photos and their music if they switch, people who fed up with the slowness of Android, people who concern about privacy, etc. 
    Obviously they're for switchers, but at the risk of repeating myself, I think those ads would appeal more to current iphone owners than current android owners, which, of course, is counterproductive. Apple is already the perfect platform for the groups you mentioned due to the ease of use; so if they haven't switched yet, they will eventually, ad or no ad.

At this point in the game I would think most people have chosen a side, rather that the default phone pushed by the phone store salesperson. I would think that at some point, the majority of current android users deliberately chose android because they bought into one myth or another about Apple, or are just anit-Apple. Those myths/sentiments are typically based around Apple being too simple and not making a 'serious' phone (this is what people actually believe). It seems to me that the light, airy tone of those commercials would only reinforce those myths. These commercials seem a bit tone deaf, in that sense. Android owners would feel patronized by those ads. I'm confident in saying that. Well, very confident actually, because what I'm saying applies to every single android owner I've ever engaged in conversation about this topic.

I don't know why Apple seems a bit tone deaf about this. But again, maybe they have info I don't and these ads are actually great. Or, maybe I'm right and these ads are duds. But I hope that if I'm right, Apple adjusts their advertising strategy.
    Or it could be that someone just prefers Android software or Android OEM hardware. Just sayin'.
    I'm sure that's the case sometimes. Just not the case with 9/10 android people I've talked to. And that may be conservative. 
  • Reply 43 of 60
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member

Another nice thing is that they keep you from having to share your CC number when you pay for something, so if the merchant gets hacked at some point, all the hacker could get is a one-off transaction code that is useless.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203027

Here's the thing- ApplePay uses DEBIT transactions…
    Yes, Apple in association with partnerships with the financial institutions allow you to connect debit cards with the MC/VIsa logo to Apple Pay, but you're weirdly ignored that Apple  in association with partnerships with the financial institutions also allow to connect credit cards. Why are leaving this out? Why are trying to say that this is not possible with Apple Pay? Are you trying to paint Apple Pay as being ineffective and worse for users over giving over their printed card number?
    edited May 2017 chia
  • Reply 44 of 60
    Absolutely spot on!!! It is one of the key differentiators in the "user experience" between Android and iOS.
    It is, but your "iOS isn't pointlessly complex enough, doesn't make you jump through enough hoops to do simple takes, and makes it too easy to use for the majority" are not reasons why Apple will every do this.

Except macOS to also move to make it more streamlined as they advance their OSes, instead of working backwards to make it work more like Windows 3.0.
  • Reply 45 of 60
    Soli said:
    It is, but your "iOS isn't pointlessly complex enough, doesn't make you jump through enough hoops to do simple takes, and makes it too easy to use for the majority" are not reasons why Apple will every do this.

Except macOS to also move to make it more streamlined as they advance their OSes, instead of working backwards to make it work more like Windows 3.0.

Agreed with your points as well, from an Apple/iOS users point of view. Having said that, it would be very difficult for Apple to get high-end Android users to migrate to iOS without this "key feature". The switching back and forth will continue to happen in small numbers, not in a large scale due to the "unique key selling points" being totally different for the two OSes (iOS and Android).
  • Reply 46 of 60
    Soli said:

Isn't this actually true about iOS, particularly related to lots of functionalities related to File Management in many applications that support it? The "key" reason why Android users would not consider migrating to iOS.
  • Reply 47 of 60
    Soli said:

Agreed with your points as well, from an Apple/iOS users point of view. Having said that, it would be very difficult for Apple to get high-end Android users to migrate to iOS without this "key feature". The switching back and forth will continue to happen in small numbers, not in a large scale due to the "unique key selling points" being totally different for the two OSes (iOS and Android).
    No matter what Apple does, there will always be people that will complain or hate what a company does. If Apple announced next week that they will ship all their iPhones with support for iOS or the latest Android version without any extra Apple SW on top, there will still be plenty that will complain about this.
  • Reply 48 of 60
    kevin kee said:
    I think the messaging is great, but the content and tone seem like a mismatch. I think these ads would appeal more to people who are already Apple users, rather than potential switchers. Maybe Apple has some market research that says otherwise though.
    I thought it's pretty obvious. They are definitely for switchers - although not for nerds who own multiple latest phones. They aim more for house wife, teenagers, aunties, grandparents, people who have life outside of technology, people who scare of losing photos and their music if they switch, people who fed up with the slowness of Android, people who concern about privacy, etc. 
    Obviously they're for switchers, but at the risk of repeating myself, I think those ads would appeal more to current iphone owners than current android owners, which, of course, is counterproductive. Apple is already the perfect platform for the groups you mentioned due to the ease of use; so if they haven't switched yet, they will eventually, ad or no ad.

At this point in the game I would think most people have chosen a side, rather that the default phone pushed by the phone store salesperson. I would think that at some point, the majority of current android users deliberately chose android because they bought into one myth or another about Apple, or are just anit-Apple. Those myths/sentiments are typically based around Apple being too simple and not making a 'serious' phone (this is what people actually believe). It seems to me that the light, airy tone of those commercials would only reinforce those myths. These commercials seem a bit tone deaf, in that sense. Android owners would feel patronized by those ads. I'm confident in saying that. Well, very confident actually, because what I'm saying applies to every single android owner I've ever engaged in conversation about this topic.

I don't know why Apple seems a bit tone deaf about this. But again, maybe they have info I don't and these ads are actually great. Or, maybe I'm right and these ads are duds. But I hope that if I'm right, Apple adjusts their advertising strategy.
    Or it could be that someone just prefers Android software or Android OEM hardware. Just sayin'.
    I'm sure that's the case sometimes. Just not the case with 9/10 android people I've talked to. And that may be conservative. 

Are you implying the cost of iphones as the reason? If that's the case, the point is NOT about those who cannot afford iphones. It is about 70-80 million people in a year who can afford an iphone BUT are choosing to buy an Android device with >$600 price.
  • Reply 49 of 60
    Soli said:
    Soli said:

No matter what Apple does, there will always be people that will complain or hate what a company does. If Apple announced next week that they will ship all their iPhones with support for iOS or the latest Android version without any extra Apple SW on top, there will still be plenty that will complain about this.

There will ALWAYS be people who complain about ANY company, not just Apple. The discussion is NOT about them. It is about "potential switchers" who would move from high end Android phones to iphones. Myself and Rutherford are just stating the obvious reason why we may not see a huge number of switchers from high-end Android phones to iPhones or what Apple needs to do to pull it off. Hope this clarifies.
  • Reply 50 of 60
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,703member

I have to agree with you both on this. I also detest not being able to select any file on iOS and send it directly to another phone sitting next to me via Bluetooth or NFC.

On both systems a keyboard overlay with insertion point navigation controls is sorely needed and while we're at it non-contiguous text selection too.
  • Reply 51 of 60
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,886member

Another nice thing is that they keep you from having to share your CC number when you pay for something, so if the merchant gets hacked at some point, all the hacker could get is a one-off transaction code that is useless.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203027

Here's the thing- ApplePay uses DEBIT transactions, which are financial institution-to-institution in nature, and cheaper to process.  Bank Debit is why Apple is able to keep a percentage of every ApplePay transaction. 

To compare, when a purchase is run as a VISA/MC transaction, by virtue of using those networks, customers have access to additional rights to dispute a charge as far as one year after the transaction occurred.  Ability to dispute a transaction after the sale can be helpful for many things including product quality reasons.   With Debit transactions, there is basically no recourse for the account holder once funds settle.  The exception is if a Debit Transaction qualifies as felony theft, and if the account holder wants to prosecute.  To prosecute, it needs to be over a threshold (set by each state) between $500 and $1000.  Then Law Enforcement will attempt to recover the funds instead of a bank.

For these reasons, I always opt to SIGN for purchases and never use pin-based DEBIT or ApplePay DEBIT transactions.  I realize a business may save 2 or 3% when running a transaction as debit, however their way of accepting my money serves no additional benefit to me as a customer.  I don't get any incentive or discount by waiving my rights to dispute a transaction or file a claim.

So I suppose ApplePay could be a great thing if I was the victim of identity theft several times or did business with a terrible banking institution who won't file, or take a fraud report on my behalf.   TouchID stops some fraud issues that my wife, or an unemployed teenager borrowing my credit card may create but when I learned ApplePay works like a Debit or PIN-Based Transaction, I got rid of it.  It doesn't add any value.
    Pretty sure this is incorrect. I have credit cards on AP so i don't know how they could be running as debit cards. I'm fairly certain i get the same exact fraud protection services from my card issuers as normal. On my visa check card the POS terminals even allow me to choose whether it's credit or debit, just like when using the plastic. It's no different using AP than plastic. 
    edited May 2017
  • Reply 52 of 60
    avon b7 said:
    I have to agree with you both on this. I also detest not being able to select any file on iOS and send it directly to another phone sitting next to me via Bluetooth or NFC.

On both systems a keyboard overlay with insertion point navigation controls is sorely needed and while we're at it non-contiguous text selection too.
    I've never done non-contiguous text selection on my macs, so no, i don't think this is "sorely needed" on ios. You're confusing your personal wants for mass market needs. 
  • Reply 53 of 60
    kevin kee said:

Are you implying the cost of iphones as the reason? If that's the case, the point is NOT about those who cannot afford iphones. It is about 70-80 million people in a year who can afford an iphone BUT are choosing to buy an Android device with >$600 price.
    No, not sure where you got that from. It seems clear to me that most android users at this point (who are potential iphone users, i.e. can afford it) are there because of myths or general anti-Apple sentiment. The tone of these commercials would not appeal to that group. And no amount of commercials are going to appeal to the group of android users that want a file system. There's middle ground, where the vast majority of potential iphone converts are located, that Apple doesn't seem to be targeting.
    edited May 2017
  • Reply 54 of 60
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    kevin kee said:

No, not sure where you got that from. It seems clear to me that most android users at this point (who are potential iphone users, i.e. can afford it) are there because of myths or general anti-Apple sentiment. The tone of these commercials would not appeal to that group. And no amount of commercials are going to appeal to the group of android users that want a file system. There's middle ground, where the vast majority of potential iphone converts are located, that Apple doesn't seem to be targeting.
    I don't really think so Patchy. Maybe in the Fandoms, but the folks I know with Android phones got them because of a good price, promotion, the look or some special features that an iPhone wouldn't have. TBH I've run into very few Apple haters, which is a good thing because if there were really that many out there like you think there are it would be worth questioning what's wrong with Apple for so many to hate it. 
  • Reply 55 of 60
    avon b7 said:

I've never done non-contiguous text selection on my macs, so no, i don't think this is "sorely needed" on ios. You're confusing your personal wants for mass market needs. 
    So, should I conclude that as you've never done it, it's not a mass market need? And why are you seeking to imply that in some way mass market is even relevant to discontiguous text selection.  It might only apply to a subset of users but could be just as sorely needed.

Can you give me one single reason why individually​ selecting text and operating on it on a selection by selection basis is better than selecting all the text you want and applying an action only once? 

Do you think that if such as feature existed on iOS it would be a 'meh' feature or a 'how the hell did I get by without this before' feature.

Don't you think that my needs might coincide with the needs of the mass market or a subset of users? If not, why not?

Before you answer that question, please make sure you provide an answer to my second question first.
  • Reply 56 of 60
    kevin kee said:

Most android users are there only because of myths or general anti-Apple sentiment??? Not because even competition (mainly Samsung here) can make good smartphones, not because the users NEED something that Apple is not providing them (Access to File System, Dual SIM, UFS Card reader (like the one in Samsung S8), even little bit of customization of UI, easier sharing of information etc)? And that the users DONT know what they need or are doing what they are doing? I completely agree with your other points, except the highlighted one.
    edited May 2017
  • Reply 57 of 60
    gatorguy said:
    kevin kee said:

I don't really think so Patchy. Maybe in the Fandoms, but the folks I know with Android phones got them because of a good price, promotion, the look or some special features that an iPhone wouldn't have. TBH I've run into very few Apple haters, which is a good thing because if there were really that many out there like you think there are it would be worth questioning what's wrong with Apple for so many to hate it. 
    I see what you're saying, but based on my experience I'm going to have to disagree and maintain my position. For context, the people that I'm referring to, usually friends or acquaintances, usually not into tech, usually in their 30's, aren't necessarily Apple haters (like we see on forums), they're mostly just misinformed about Apple, and make their decision based on myth/sentiment. It seems that at this point most people are savvy enough to be at the stage of comparing platforms rather than comparing individual phones (i.e. being swayed by promotion, price, or particular special feature).

Maybe there is a group of people still out there that would be swayed by this type of commercial, but from my view, a different tact from Apple would be more effective (just to be clear, I feel the messaging is good, just disagreeing with how it's being delivered).
    edited May 2017
  • Reply 58 of 60
    avon b7 said:
    avon b7 said:

So, should I conclude that as you've never done it, it's not a mass market need? And why are you seeking to imply that in some way mass market is even relevant to discontiguous text selection.  It might only apply to a subset of users but could be just as sorely needed.

Can you give me one single reason why individually​ selecting text and operating on it on a selection by selection basis is better than selecting all the text you want and applying an action only once? 

Do you think that if such as feature existed on iOS it would be a 'meh' feature or a 'how the hell did I get by without this before' feature.

Don't you think that my needs might coincide with the needs of the mass market or a subset of users? If not, why not?

Before you answer that question, please make sure you provide an answer to my second question first.
    I'm presenting the fact that I, a professional software developer and very advanced user, have never used non-contiguous text selection even on my desktop computer. And that, if such a thing is so clearly non-essential that a software dev on a desktop manipulating text every single day has never used it, it is likely not very important to very many/most people. And that if such a thing is unimportant to many/most people, it follows that this number of people is even smaller on iOS. Thus -- your declarative Apple NEEDS! statement is, in a word, bogus. No. iOS does not sorely need this, and not having it is not a problem for the vast majority of human beings.

That all should be pretty clear.
    Soli
  • Reply 59 of 60
    avon b7 said:
    avon b7 said:

I'm presenting the fact that I, a professional software developer and very advanced user, have never used non-contiguous text selection even on my desktop computer. And that, if such a thing is so clearly non-essential that a software dev on a desktop manipulating text every single day has never used it, it is likely not very important to very many/most people. And that if such a thing is unimportant to many/most people, it follows that this number of people is even smaller on iOS. Thus -- your declarative Apple NEEDS! statement is, in a word, bogus. No. iOS does not sorely need this, and not having it is not a problem for the vast majority of human beings.

That all should be pretty clear.
    Ah! So perhaps you have less real use of text selection in your general use. Perhaps you live in a plain text, grep world and write documents in TeX  but that is by the by. Half your post is irrelevant (your Mac use) and it 'doesn't follow' at all that iOS users who could make use of the feature would be less. Your Mac use as an advanced user has little in common with what people generally do on iOS. My point stands as many people (I dare say even you!) would save an immense amount of time (especially on smaller screens where scrolling is often needed) if a simple, system-wide way to select discontiguous text existed.

And discontiguous text selection on the Mac is not and never has been an 'advanced' user feature. Anyone that selects text to manipulate it (that is virtually any user that writes) could take advantage of it. The problem is that many people simply don't know the possibility exists so it gets labelled as 'advanced'.

Normal users use the command key every day so applying it to text selection won't overload them.
    edited May 2017
  • Reply 60 of 60
    I understand that it's not in Apple's priority to create it for, most likely, security reasons. However, they're able to pull it off in Macs and keep them secure for ages. I believe they can afford to do the same for iOS.