Apple TV owners to get first-ever public beta with tvOS 11

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 31
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    eightzero said:
    normang said:
    Where is the 4k Version of Apple TV.... its overdue... way overdue... 
    Are there 4k movies and TV in iTunes?
    Doesn't matter if there is or isn't. There is plenty of 4K content you could watch on Apple TV now such as Amazon Prime (when available), Netflix, Hulu, YouTube, plus other apps that have 4K content. It would be nice to be able to watch the 4K videos you record on the iPhone on your Apple TV in actual 4K. 
    Can't wait until they release a VUDU app to play 4K content too.
    I wonder if Apple TV will ever get VUDU? I use that now for all my digital copies since a lot of the 4K blu rays, the digital copy is 4K as well on Vudu. The Dolby Vision titles on Vudu look pretty amazing. 
  • Reply 22 of 31
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member

fallenjt said:
    normang said:
    Yeah? Where is the broadcast channel in 4K? It's still early for 4K with a dozen or so movies for streaming. I don't expect much 4K adoption by 2019. I'll buy 4K Apple TV where over 25% movies in Netflix are in 4K.
    DirecTV has a full time 4K channel. It's pretty good. It shows a lot of great nature documentaries. The other 4K channel shows live sports such as NBA, MLB, and Premier League soccer. The Premier League matches look pretty awesome in 4K. The second 4K channel occasionally shows concerts as well besides sports. Believe it or not, there is quite a bit of 4K content now. There are a ton of apps that show nothing but 4K content on Roku/Amazon Fire TV. The stuff is pretty good too. Hundreds of movies in 4K on Vudu and now they've been adding a bunch of Dolby Vision titles. 
    edited June 2017 Soli
  • Reply 23 of 31
    arthurbaarthurba Posts: 156member

Apple, please finally support Home Sharing on ATV in 11!  

The current 'computer' app is a joke.  

Wish list for 'home sharing': 
    - siri support 
    - search support 
    - 'TV' app support 
    - Extras support

Of course I could just stop using iTunes altogether, and switch to some other media manager, and buy my content elsewhere.

No streaming doesn't work anywhere outside of the USA.  Any other country in the world - you have to download the movie, then watch it.  Australia is the worst, but most of the UK is pretty terrible too.

• Reply 24 of 31
    kevin keekevin kee Posts: 1,289member
    normang said:
    No, it's not. I don't have 4k TV and as far as I know only 2 out of 10 people I know bought one. So it is definitely NOT overdue. Stop exaggerating stuffs if you want to be taken seriously.
  • Reply 25 of 31
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,821member
    eightzero said:
    normang said:
    You forget we can make our own 4K videos and use the Apple TV with one hand behind our backs ;)
  • Reply 26 of 31
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,821member

jbdragon said:
    normang said:
    While an obvious future feature, it's not way overdue. Most people in my world don't care about 4k yet. 
    Besides 4K streaming is a joke as it's compressed like crazy, and you're eating up your bandwidth cap about 4 times faster then streaming HD content.

Sorry 4K is here to stay (until 8K lol) and guess what, there won't be any 1080P TVs made in the not too distant future.  As to internet caps, there's a whole other topic especially with the new attitude to who owns the internet coming out of the new FCC.  Playing with Apple's new HEVC makes me think the days of compression development and advances are far from over.
  • Reply 27 of 31
    I'm hoping the fact that they only mentioned Amazon coming to Apple TV, means they are holding out til later this year to announce new hardware and a major software overhaul.  That remote leaves a lot to be desired.  The software...ugh...just skipping to the next song in Apple Music is too complicated.  Maybe something with microphones built into the set top and always on Siri, like HomePod without the speakers.  A lot of people have their Apple TV connected to a surround sound system that sounds better than any single unit ever could.  
  • Reply 28 of 31
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,038member
    I'm hoping the fact that they only mentioned Amazon coming to Apple TV, means they are holding out til later this year to announce new hardware and a major software overhaul.  That remote leaves a lot to be desired.  The software...ugh...just skipping to the next song in Apple Music is too complicated.  Maybe something with microphones built into the set top and always on Siri, like HomePod without the speakers.  A lot of people have their Apple TV connected to a surround sound system that sounds better than any single unit ever could.  
    For being 1 of the 6 core areas of the keynote, they sure didn't cover the Apple TV much. However, we can infer a lot. I'm comfortable with saying that the Apple TV all but certain being released this Autumn as 4K with H.265 and the iTS will have content in 4K supporting H.265. This is all because of their OSes now supporting H.265 and a mentioned that newer HW has supported HW decodes (did they mention encodes) for a couple generations now. The only unknown is if they'll also offer 1080p in H.265, too, or just keep it as H.264. I can see this going either way, depending on internal data that we don't have.
  • Reply 29 of 31
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    kevin kee said:
    normang said:
    No, it's not. I don't have 4k TV and as far as I know only 2 out of 10 people I know bought one. So it is definitely NOT overdue. Stop exaggerating stuffs if you want to be taken seriously.
    Thanks for limiting the potential of next generation technology to your limited anecdotal worldview -- but even assuming that's true, and let's say there's 200 million TVs in the US, you're talking about limiting support for over 40 million of them. You realize that's larger than all the Apple Watches Apple has likely sold to date. Here's some anecdotal evidence for you -- Best Buy barely even sells non-4K TVs anymore. I saw a 65" 4K TV on sale over the holiday for less than $500. All new TVs sold from now on are likely to be 4K TVs. And it's Apple's audience that is watching them, not people who can't afford to buy a new 65" TV. And is "Stuffs" even a word?

As for me, I will not be upgrading my ATV until it supports 4K, now that I own one. There's no reason to. I have all the apps I need on my 4K smart TV, all with access to 4K content. I also have access to my home network to stream any 4K content I film on my iPhone. So yes, there's a problem here -- Apple used to be a head of the curve, but considering they are pushing their customer base toward other solutions to experience 4K, including their own videos shot on an iPhone, they are allowing customers to get used to accessing that content in another way. Instead of buying all my videos on iTunes and upscaling, I might start buying them on Amazon to future proof them for a 4K world. Will Apple be hurt by this? Probably not in the long run, as eventually they will repackage 4K content in a compelling way which will draw customers back. But it is a risk in the short term. Right now, I'm using my ATV less and less and my new 4K TV more and more. The longer Apple drags their heels in offering 4K streaming and videos via iTunes, the less of my money they will see. And using your own formula, even if only 1 in 10 TV owners in the US are exploring 4K TV, that's still 20 million customers, buying not only hardware, but presumably more expensive content on a regular basis ...
  • Reply 30 of 31
    kevin keekevin kee Posts: 1,289member
    mac_128 said:
    kevin kee said:
    normang said:
    Thanks for limiting the potential of next generation technology to your limited anecdotal worldview -- but even assuming that's true, and let's say there's 200 million TVs in the US, you're talking about limiting support for over 40 million of them. You realize that's larger than all the Apple Watches Apple has likely sold to date. Here's some anecdotal evidence for you -- Best Buy barely even sells non-4K TVs anymore. I saw a 65" 4K TV on sale over the holiday for less than $500. All new TVs sold from now on are likely to be 4K TVs. And it's Apple's audience that is watching them, not people who can't afford to buy a new 65" TV. And is "Stuffs" even a word?

As for me, I will not be upgrading my ATV until it supports 4K, now that I own one. There's no reason to. I have all the apps I need on my 4K smart TV, all with access to 4K content. I also have access to my home network to stream any 4K content I film on my iPhone. So yes, there's a problem here -- Apple used to be a head of the curve, but considering they are pushing their customer base toward other solutions to experience 4K, including their own videos shot on an iPhone, they are allowing customers to get used to accessing that content in another way. Instead of buying all my videos on iTunes and upscaling, I might start buying them on Amazon to future proof them for a 4K world. Will Apple be hurt by this? Probably not in the long run, as eventually they will repackage 4K content in a compelling way which will draw customers back. But it is a risk in the short term. Right now, I'm using my ATV less and less and my new 4K TV more and more. The longer Apple drags their heels in offering 4K streaming and videos via iTunes, the less of my money they will see. And using your own formula, even if only 1 in 10 TV owners in the US are exploring 4K TV, that's still 20 million customers, buying not only hardware, but presumably more expensive content on a regular basis ...
    I read what you said. It is still not WAY overdue.
    edited June 2017
  • Reply 31 of 31
    bruckheimerbruckheimer Posts: 116member
    eightzero said:
    normang said:
    Doesn't matter if there is or isn't. There is plenty of 4K content you could watch on Apple TV now such as Amazon Prime (when available), Netflix, Hulu, YouTube, plus other apps that have 4K content. It would be nice to be able to watch the 4K videos you record on the iPhone on your Apple TV in actual 4K. 
    Can't wait until they release a VUDU app to play 4K content too.
    I wonder if Apple TV will ever get VUDU? I use that now for all my digital copies since a lot of the 4K blu rays, the digital copy is 4K as well on Vudu. The Dolby Vision titles on Vudu look pretty amazing. 
    They sure do, actually I think so far VUDU has the best quality when it comes to 4K, which is what they are known for.

Read they have a working beta app for Apple 4th generation, so hopefully it will be released soon.

Then I will not have to use Airplay anymore.