Apple TV owners to get first-ever public beta with tvOS 11

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
Regular Apple TV owners will soon be able download betas for the first time, getting an early peek at upcoming features, according to Apple's website.

A public beta of tvOS 11 is "coming soon," the company now says on its Beta Software Program minisite. The release is likely due later this month, when the first public betas for iOS 11 and macOS High Sierra should arrive.

The first developer betas of iOS 11, High Sierra, watchOS 4, and tvOS 11 were issued on Monday.

At the moment, only registered developers can try out pre-release versions of tvOS. Even then the update process is somewhat awkward, requiring that people connect their Apple TV to iTunes via a USB-C cable, instead of downloading software over-the-air. It's unknown if Apple has a simpler process in mind for the public beta, or if people will still need to tether.

tvOS 11 so far appears to have no major changes beyond notification support and new background modes.

In fact the company said very little about the Apple TV during its WWDC 2017 keynote on Monday, mentioning only that an Amazon Prime Video app is coming in 2017, and that "you'll be hearing a lot more about tvOS later this year." A 4K set-top has been rumored, which could be shown off at a fall press event.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 31
    normangnormang Posts: 118member
    Where is the 4k Version of Apple TV.... its overdue... way overdue... 
    doozydozen
  • Reply 2 of 31
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,069member
    normang said:
    Are there 4k movies and TV in iTunes?
    doozydozen
  • Reply 3 of 31
    thrangthrang Posts: 1,009member
    eightzero said:
    normang said:
    LOL...why would there be if they can't support it? The point is, there could be if they did have the hardware.
    doozydozen
  • Reply 4 of 31
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    eightzero said:
    normang said:
    Doesn't matter if there is or isn't. There is plenty of 4K content you could watch on Apple TV now such as Amazon Prime (when available), Netflix, Hulu, YouTube, plus other apps that have 4K content. It would be nice to be able to watch the 4K videos you record on the iPhone on your Apple TV in actual 4K. 
    edited June 2017 jahbladecalibloggerblogbruckheimerdoozydozen
  • Reply 5 of 31
    thrang said:
    eightzero said:
    normang said:
    LOL...why would there be if they can't support it? The point is, there could be if they did have the hardware.
    Because...they would make money...how? Most people don't have a 4k TV. And most people now have download caps. All this will come when, and only when, Apple decides it is a market that is profitable.
    jcs2305caliStrangeDaysdoozydozenjbdragonstompy
  • Reply 6 of 31
    tjwolftjwolf Posts: 424member
    This might be a stupid question: will tvOS 11 be available for 3rd-gen Apple TVs?  Or the Amazon Prime app for that matter?
  • Reply 7 of 31
    eightzero said:
    normang said:
    Doesn't matter if there is or isn't. There is plenty of 4K content you could watch on Apple TV now such as Amazon Prime (when available), Netflix, Hulu, YouTube, plus other apps that have 4K content. It would be nice to be able to watch the 4K videos you record on the iPhone on your Apple TV in actual 4K. 
    I discovered I can play and stream video direct to my TV from my iPhone via a lightning to HDMI adapter. I don't have a 4k HDTV, but would that work if I did?
  • Reply 8 of 31
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Disappointed they only announced an Amazon service at WWDC like wtf? Definitely not worthy of one of the big "Apple" announcements.

I want new hardware for more than 4K. I want Apple TV to be an actual competitive  gaming device. All this talk about graphics updates and AppleTV is using an outdated iPhone chip.

Also "notification support?" The beauty of Apple TV is that it doesn't distract your content. Watch movies on an Xbox One and you'll see what I mean. I don't wanna be immersed in a sci-fi movie and have a random pop-up chime that says "Rebecca just beat your score in FarmCrush! Can you do better?"
    I have enough faith in Apple that they won't pull a Microsoft.
    doozydozen
  • Reply 9 of 31
    78Bandit78Bandit Posts: 238member
    tjwolf said:
    This might be a stupid question: will tvOS 11 be available for 3rd-gen Apple TVs?  Or the Amazon Prime app for that matter?

The third gen Apple TV's last software update was to 7.2.2 (equivalent to iOS 8.4.2).  We completely missed tvOS 9 and 10 so I seriously doubt we'll see 11.  Seeing as Apple is pushing everything to 64 bit and the ATV3 uses the 32 bit A5 chip, I also don't think a new app like Amazon Prime will be written for it either.  Pretty much what you have now is all you'll ever get.
    doozydozenjbdragonstompy
  • Reply 10 of 31
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    eightzero said:
    eightzero said:
    normang said:
    I discovered I can play and stream video direct to my TV from my iPhone via a lightning to HDMI adapter. I don't have a 4k HDTV, but would that work if I did?
    As long as the HDMI adapter is HDMI 2.0, I don't see why it wouldn't work. 

EDIT: What I do now to view 4K videos from my iPhone is just put them on a USB memory stick and hook it up to the TV. 
    edited June 2017
  • Reply 11 of 31
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    normang said:
    There was a huge amount of HW introduced or updated at a developer keynote. Just be patient. We finally have OS X OSes supporting HEVC. Now that that domino will be dropping come this Fall we’re primed for a 4K Apple TV and 4K iTS content.
    StrangeDaysdoozydozen
  • Reply 12 of 31
    normang said:
    It is hanging out with all the 4K content and Apps.
    doozydozenstompy
  • Reply 13 of 31
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    normang said:
    Try chewing on a leather strap. It’s better than grinding your teeth about something you have no control over.
    edited June 2017 StrangeDays
  • Reply 14 of 31
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,884member
    normang said:
    While an obvious future feature, it's not way overdue. Most people in my world don't care about 4k yet. 
    doozydozenjbdragonMetriacanthosaurus
  • Reply 15 of 31
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    normang said:
    Yeah? Where is the broadcast channel in 4K? It's still early for 4K with a dozen or so movies for streaming. I don't expect much 4K adoption by 2019. I'll buy 4K Apple TV where over 25% movies in Netflix are in 4K.
    Metriacanthosaurus
  • Reply 16 of 31
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,960member
    I've have had the latest iteration of every TV in the vain hope it would "have TV figured out" as Steve said. In reality my TiVo continues to be my zero input device. Until and if commercials can be skipped in cloud DVRs, TiVo is the best way to wrangle all the content I want with minimum fuss. It has Netflix and Amazon Prime built in. About the only time I use TV is for live streaming keynotes. Praying that next model has hardware DVR and a "peanut" remote--Apple's remote is less user friendly than the puck mouse was. 
    edited June 2017
  • Reply 17 of 31
    I've have had the latest iteration of every TV in the vain hope it would "have TV figured out" as Steve said. In reality my TiVo continues to be my zero input device. Until and if commercials can be skipped in cloud DVRs, TiVo is the best way to wrangle all the content I want with minimum fuss. It has Netflix and Amazon Prime built in. About the only time I use TV is for live streaming keynotes. Praying that next model has hardware DVR and a "peanut" remote--Apple's remote is less user friendly than the puck mouse was. 
    TiVo commercial skip Rocks!

Do you have the Roamio or the TiVo Bolt?
  • Reply 18 of 31
    eightzero said:
    normang said:
    Can't wait until they release a VUDU app to play 4K content too.
  • Reply 19 of 31
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    normang said:
    While an obvious future feature, it's not way overdue. Most people in my world don't care about 4k yet. 
    Besides 4K streaming is a joke as it's compressed like crazy, and you're eating up your bandwidth cap about 4 times faster then streaming HD content.

Metriacanthosaurus
  • Reply 20 of 31
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    jbdragon said:
    normang said:
    Besides 4K streaming is a joke as it's compressed like crazy, and you're eating up your bandwidth cap about 4 times faster then streaming HD content.
    That statement makes sense to you? You do know that 2160p is 4x the number of pixels as 1080p, right?
    bruckheimerbonobob