Apple partner Wistron says 'iPhone 7s Plus' will include wireless charging, improved water...

Comments

• Reply 21 of 51
    AI_lias said:
    AI_lias said:
    What's the attraction of wireless charging? Can someone point out the pros? You still need to touch it on something, just not plug it in. Still needs to be in the proximity of the charger. If anything, it's more limiting, because you don't have the cable which you can use to move the phone around while charging.

Magnets are cool.  We charge our watches by putting them on a magnet.  We charge our MacBooks by snapping on a magnetic connector.  So of course we want iPhones and iPads to charge with magnets.  It's destiny.  They just need to stop calling it "wireless."
    I guess I'm taking the approach of simplicity: if there is no real benefit, why bother. To me there is not, because if it is based on contact with a surface, might as well the cable in, and maybe it will even charge faster. My issues is not as much the added feature, go ahead, make it available. Just don't see the advantages of it.

I agree with you.  But let's see what Apple delivers.  They tend to be masters of the "little things" that make us love their products, so maybe this is one of those. 
    edited June 2017 GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 22 of 51
    pepe779pepe779 Posts: 84member
    Soli said:
    AI_lias said:
    What's the attraction of wireless charging? Can someone point out the pros? You still need to touch it on something, just not plug it in. Still needs to be in the proximity of the charger. If anything, it's more limiting, because you don't have the cable which you can use to move the phone around while charging.
    You're asking what benefit there is for not having to fiddle with inserting a small connector v being able to rest a device with no attention given to accuracy or having to use a second hand for the cable end of lining up the connector?
    No, his question is actually pretty spot on. As far as I can recall, Apple stated some time ago that they will only implement wireless charging once it's more developed and makes more sense (which is what Apple usually does anyway), because the current solution that's used in Android phones obviously makes little sense and is not much more than a gimmick. As long as you can't really move or even use the phone during the charging process, then there's very little if any added value in such impractical solution. I was hoping it'll be Apple who will develop wireless charging that would work over certain distance, without the need of having the device laying flat on a charging pad. I understand these are all just rumors at this point, but if this is really what Apple is going to introduce with their next iPhones then that's extremely disappointing and it'll be fair to say that they're the ones simply copying other manufacturers now.
  • Reply 23 of 51
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,038member
    pepe779 said:
    Soli said:
    AI_lias said:
    You're asking what benefit there is for not having to fiddle with inserting a small connector v being able to rest a device with no attention given to accuracy or having to use a second hand for the cable end of lining up the connector?
    No, his question is actually pretty spot on. As far as I can recall, Apple stated some time ago that they will only implement wireless charging once it's more developed and makes more sense (which is what Apple usually does anyway), because the current solution that's used in Android phones obviously makes little sense and is not much more than a gimmick. As long as you can't really move or even use the phone during the charging process, then there's very little if any added value in such impractical solution. I was hoping it'll be Apple who will develop wireless charging that would work over certain distance, without the need of having the device laying flat on a charging pad. I understand these are all just rumors at this point, but if this is really what Apple is going to introduce with their next iPhones then that's extremely disappointing and it'll be fair to say that they're the ones simply copying other manufacturers now.
    1) So… the way the Apple Watch charges is a gimmick? Not having to use two hands to plug in a tiny connect is a gimmick? Being able to almost toss your iPhone onto a charger at home, in the car, or in the office is a gimmick? Not having to hold a dock down with one hand as you lift with the other because your Lightnng connector is a tight fit that even a solid aluminum dock lifts up when removing your iPhone is a gimmick?

2) Keep in mind that you're saying in your "as far as I can recall" statement that Apple would never introduce the very type of charger is using for the Apple Watch. Do you not see how ridiculous your statement is?
    edited June 2017 radarthekat
  • Reply 24 of 51
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,739member
    pepe779 said:
    Soli said:
    AI_lias said:
    I've seen cars with a little area under the dashboard where it will charge a (compatible) phone. Jump in, place the phone there, use Bluetooth to make/take calls. If you're in and out of the car all day, it's a nice feature
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 25 of 51
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,262member
    I find it surprising the CEO of an Apple partner would be willing to publicly disclose things which he would surely be sworn to keep secret. 
    I'm firmly convinced that some Apple product "leaks" are officially sanctioned. This could be one of 'em.
    edited June 2017 GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 26 of 51
    pepe779pepe779 Posts: 84member
    Soli said:
    pepe779 said:
    Soli said:
    AI_lias said:
    1) So… the way the Apple Watch charges is a gimmick? Not having to use two hands to plug in a tiny connect is a gimmick? Being able to almost toss your iPhone onto a charger at home, in the car, or in the office is a gimmick? Not having to hold a dock down with one hand as you lift with the other because your Lightnng connector is a tight fit that even a solid aluminum dock lifts up when removing your iPhone is a gimmick?

2) Keep in mind that you're saying in your "as far as I can recall" statement that Apple would never introduce the very type of charger is using for the Apple Watch. Do you not see how ridiculous your statement is?
    You don't get it as usual. You're trying to convince me (and maybe even yourself) that the 2 seconds you save by placing the phone on the charging pad vs plugging a connector into the phone actually matters more than the whole discomfort of limited phone usage during the whole wireless charging process. What a pile of BS my friend, I hope YOU can see how ridiculous your logic is here.

My true point, however, is that Apple is going to introduce it as a novelty (as usual), even though their competition has been equipping their phones with wireless charging for years now. Heck, even the Lumias had it 5 years ago. That's right - FIVE years ago. So unless Apple wows us with some much improved wireless charging solution, this will be a truly embarrassing "me too" move from their end.
  • Reply 27 of 51
    pepe779 said:
    Soli said:
    AI_lias said:

I'm not completely versed on the topic, but I think one of the Energous (WATT) wireless charging chips can be used both for contact-based charging and wireless charging at a distance. The reason why the distance part isn't being discussed might be the fact that it still needs regulatory approval. It's still unclear if Apple will use the Energous chip, but it would be very useful to have distance charging.

• Reply 28 of 51
    AI_lias said:

Magnets are cool.  We charge our watches by putting them on a magnet.  We charge our MacBooks by snapping on a magnetic connector.  So of course we want iPhones and iPads to charge with magnets.  It's destiny.  They just need to stop calling it "wireless."
    Cheeky. Take your like and go.
  • Reply 29 of 51
    jdb8167jdb8167 Posts: 626member
    avon b7 said:
    pepe779 said:
    Soli said:
    AI_lias said:
    I've seen cars with a little area under the dashboard where it will charge a (compatible) phone. Jump in, place the phone there, use Bluetooth to make/take calls. If you're in and out of the car all day, it's a nice feature
    Yeah. I think this is exactly it. Since the standards are more or less set Apple can't really make it better than the competition. And I'd bet that they think that for charging overnight, the benefit is marginal at best. But for charging in a car or in a coffee shop, the value is much higher. 
  • Reply 30 of 51
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,262member
    pepe779 said:
    Soli said:
    AI_lias said:

I'm not completely versed on the topic, but I think one of the Energous (WATT) wireless charging chips can be used both for contact-based charging and wireless charging at a distance. The reason why the distance part isn't being discussed might be the fact that it still needs regulatory approval. It's still unclear if Apple will use the Energous chip, but it would be very useful to have distance charging.

You are correct, but the Energous link with Apple has been pretty much dismissed hasn't it? 
  • Reply 31 of 51
    analogjackanalogjack Posts: 1,073member
    Probably an Apple sanctioned strategic leak, to preempt any perception that the non 'edition' models will be old tech and non premium. Expect more sanctioned leaks that talk up the s models.
  • Reply 32 of 51
    kevin keekevin kee Posts: 1,289member
    I visualize the charger to have 2 parts: a small magnet that attach on the back on the phone as receiver - and the charger unit that plug in to the power outlet as transceiver. No cable in between. This method would allow you to keep using your phone within a certain distant from the transceiver. When you need to charge your phone, all you need to do is just stick the magnet to the back on the phone like AppleWatch. Unlike AppleWatch, there will be no wire.
  • Reply 33 of 51
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    I am fine with this. It's not clear to me where/how the proclivity for excessive secrecy helps Apple much anymore, since rumors fly and mis- or dis-information abounds. In fact, competitors seem to have become pretty good at either swiping or pre-empting many of the ideas. I'll bet there is a lot of high-paid corporate intelligence at work against a company like Apple.

Also, it's about time that the downward pressure on AAPL stock got lifted a bit -- every other large tech company in the FAAMNG group that swooned a couple of days ago is back up much more robustly than Apple is.
    Apple's stock is as good as buried in a coffin.  The biggest loser will be the slowest recoverer.  You're not going to find very many investors happy about buying stock in a company that's been serially downgraded.  Just remember, of all the tech companies, Apple was the only company given the kiss of death, twice in a week.  I'm also fairly certain there aren't any investors happy with Apple's interest in renewable energy.  Apple keeps putting efforts into things almost no investors care about.  It's not in big investors' nature to favor efforts that might be good for everyone.  You will never hear Apple being praised for trying to save the ecology.  As you can tell, POTUS doesn't give a damn about the ecology nor will any of the big money-makers that are like him.
    Doesn't matter what the investors think, it is what the client thinks that matters and something like this is part of Apple's ethos; people, and those so called analyst, seem to forget this all the time. That's what inspires loyalty to be a #1 company 40+ years after its creation.
  • Reply 34 of 51
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,429member
    AI_lias said:
    According to the article, it is rumored to also have wired charging. So what's your issue wireless as added feature? I don't get it. 
    Why "wireless" charging if it's going to have wired charging? And why do we need another charger for "wireless?" It makes no sense, really. 

To make everything simple, it should be restricted to only ONE type of interface and be able to support a variety of protocols. The USB-3 interface is the best example of how it should be - the ability to support USB and Thunderbolt and alternate mode and power. 

Why come up with other interfaces? Personally, I prefer Apple's Lightning interface (much cleaner and thinner than USB-C but Apple owns it, it's not open standard) but the madness of so many different cables for different devices have to stop. 
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 35 of 51
    gatorguy said:
    pepe779 said:
    Soli said:
    AI_lias said:

You are correct, but the Energous link with Apple has been pretty much dismissed hasn't it? 
    I just quickly scanned the WATT stream on Stocktwits and some of those investors still think there is a chance:

'Furthermore, if Energous has lost Tier1, they have a legal responsibility to tell their Shareholders. Silence is a good sign.'

Consensus for several months has been Tier1 is Apple, so maybe there is there there.
  • Reply 36 of 51
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,855moderator
    Today:  both my iPad and iPhone charge on a nightstand by my bed.  Both one-meter cables are there, coiled and often overlapping, originating from their respective chargers, which are not the same (larger charger for iPad), and both chargers are plugged in next to one another in the outlet.  So I'm constantly fiddling with the cables to determine which to plug into which device. And there's the cables always laying there on the nightstand, presenting clutter.  When I want to use one, I usually lay on the bed (I'm in a small but well appointed studio condo here in Cebu City, Philippines, so most of my use of the iPad, and sometimes iPhone, is while laying on the bed).  The one-meter cable tethering me to the charger is too short, so I end up unplugging for use anyway, as the cables are simply not long enough to allow me to use the devices unless I lay on my side at the edge of the bed facing the nightstand.  I could get longer cables, but then I'd have longer cables dangling around the nightstand and making it that much more of a nuisance to sort out to determine which is the iPhone cable and which is the iPad cable.  In short, cables are a nuisance.

Future: a couple charging pads sitting there, with their cables tucked down behind the nightstand.  I place the iPhone on its pad and the iPad on its pad.  When I want to use one, I lift it off the pad.  I'm instantly untethered, and yes, no longer charging, but as stated above, that's the case anyway when using one of the devices.  Very convenient, less clutter.   Not sure how those suggesting there is no value to this can justify their opinion.  
    edited June 2017
  • Reply 37 of 51
    sirlance99sirlance99 Posts: 1,294member
    foggyhill said:
    I am fine with this. It's not clear to me where/how the proclivity for excessive secrecy helps Apple much anymore, since rumors fly and mis- or dis-information abounds. In fact, competitors seem to have become pretty good at either swiping or pre-empting many of the ideas. I'll bet there is a lot of high-paid corporate intelligence at work against a company like Apple.

Also, it's about time that the downward pressure on AAPL stock got lifted a bit -- every other large tech company in the FAAMNG group that swooned a couple of days ago is back up much more robustly than Apple is.
    Apple's stock is as good as buried in a coffin.  The biggest loser will be the slowest recoverer.  You're not going to find very many investors happy about buying stock in a company that's been serially downgraded.  Just remember, of all the tech companies, Apple was the only company given the kiss of death, twice in a week.  I'm also fairly certain there aren't any investors happy with Apple's interest in renewable energy.  Apple keeps putting efforts into things almost no investors care about.  It's not in big investors' nature to favor efforts that might be good for everyone.  You will never hear Apple being praised for trying to save the ecology.  As you can tell, POTUS doesn't give a damn about the ecology nor will any of the big money-makers that are like him.
    Doesn't matter what the investors think, it is what the client thinks that matters and something like this is part of Apple's ethos; people, and those so called analyst, seem to forget this all the time. That's what inspires loyalty to be a #1 company 40+ years after its creation.
    Today Apple is number one. Down the line it won't be. In another 40 years some other company will be number one. Enjoy this while it lasts. Apple is fantastic and will be around for many more decades to come. It just won't be number one anymore. 
  • Reply 38 of 51
    sirlance99sirlance99 Posts: 1,294member
    Today:  both my iPad and iPhone charge on a nightstand by my bed.  Both one-meter cables are there, coiled and often overlapping, originating from their respective chargers, which are not the same (larger charger for iPad), and both chargers are plugged in next to one another in the outlet.  So I'm constantly fiddling with the cables to determine which to plug into which device. And there's the cables always laying there on the nightstand, presenting clutter.  When I want to use one, I usually lay on the bed (I'm in a small but well appointed studio condo here in Cebu City, Philippines, so most of my use of the iPad, and sometimes iPhone, is while laying on the bed).  The one-meter cable tethering me to the charger is too short, so I end up unplugging for use anyway, as the cables are simply not long enough to allow me to use the devices unless I lay on my side at the edge of the bed facing the nightstand.  I could get longer cables, but then I'd have longer cables dangling around the nightstand and making it that much more of a nuisance to sort out to determine which is the iPhone cable and which is the iPad cable.  In short, cables are a nuisance.

Future: a couple charging pads sitting there, with their cables tucked down behind the nightstand.  I place the iPhone on its pad and the iPad on its pad.  When I want to use one, I lift it off the pad.  I'm instantly untethered, and yes, no longer charging, but as stated above, that's the case anyway when using one of the devices.  Very convenient, less clutter.   Not sure how those suggesting there is no value to this can justify their opinion.  
    Um, different coloured cables would solve your "problems". 
  • Reply 39 of 51
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,038member
    pepe779 said:
    Soli said:
    pepe779 said:
    Soli said:
    AI_lias said:

You don't get it as usual. You're trying to convince me (and maybe even yourself) that the 2 seconds you save by placing the phone on the charging pad vs plugging a connector into the phone actually matters more than the whole discomfort of limited phone usage during the whole wireless charging process. What a pile of BS my friend, I hope YOU can see how ridiculous your logic is here.

My true point, however, is that Apple is going to introduce it as a novelty (as usual), even though their competition has been equipping their phones with wireless charging for years now. Heck, even the Lumias had it 5 years ago. That's right - FIVE years ago. So unless Apple wows us with some much improved wireless charging solution, this will be a truly embarrassing "me too" move from their end.
    1) Time and effort does matter. Convenience always wins out.

2) That thing you said Apple will never do, Apple did years ago with great success.
  • Reply 40 of 51
    appexappex Posts: 687member
    Wireless charging is a waste of energy. Stop destroying planet Earth!