Apple cleaning hundreds of thousands of titles from App Store in Review Guidelines crackdo...

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 34
    I believe that Apple originally allows crap in at times to boost numbers for marketing purposes...so many titles should not have ever made it into App Store in the first place.  But I am glad they are cleaning this up a bit.  Should do 2 rounds of cleanup and then make it a practice to do this every quarter.
    Look at this link.

https://www.lifewire.com/how-many-apps-in-app-store-2000252

How many magnifiers did we need? How many flashlights? Etc. Many of my apps are being removed because they have not been updated. Most of them are collections of paintings by dead artists. It is doubtful there will be any new ones by them. Maybe there is a compatible issue with the new os. So what?
    williamlondon
  • Reply 22 of 34
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    gatorguy said:
    gatorguy said:
    Things will change hopefully.
    Why hoping? Did Google announce they would gonna create walled garden similar to Apple? I don't recall that.
    And they won't because they had bet on the wrong horse and it is too late to change. If they embark on this ecosystem overhauling now, it is gonna be VERY VERY expensive, and will very likely turn down customers, because customers chose Google for not being "like evil Apple" (evil - providing walled garden and not offering (cough) "customization" and lack of the ability to launch apps downloaded from any place on the Internet).
    No, Google did not announce a walled garden, nor do I think I implied that. Obviously a "walled garden" still let in far too many bogus, dodgy and/or copycat apps for Apple's taste.
    "Far too many" is a far too vague of a term. I would suggest using real numbers or some kind of research that has those numbers on the quality of apps, instead of that precise "far too many"....
    I have used both stores for several years and I can say that the quality of apps on the Apple store on average is much higher than of what Google Play offers. It just is and no amount of intellectual gymnastics, word joggling, and logical fallacies can change/hide that fact. You can see that by how much people spend in both stores. People who have the ability to pay, chose Apple. Why? Is it because they are bigoted and stupid, or is it because they just find time and time again, that the quality of a product they are interested  in is much higher in App store?
    Just as an example of why objectively that is the case -- you can upload your crappy app on Google and it will be sitting there forever as long as it does not spread viruses openly. Try to do the same with Apple store without updating your dev license or not caring about the app and see, how fast it will disappear. The answer is - it will disappear right after your dev license ends (which has 1 year lifespan) or after another major iOS update. So, in the App store, it is impossible to have a 5 year old app that hasn't been updated in all those years. It will be removed AUTOMATICALLY. 
    You're commenting on a story reporting that Apple is removing hundreds of thousands of apps from the App Store for quality issues, which would mean at least 10% of all its apps and perhaps much more.  If true runs counter to your inference that the App Store doesn't (didn't?) have an abundance of low quality and/or copycat apps. Instead it would tend to support exactly what I said, "far too many dodgy apps for Apple's taste".  And yes, your personal observations of the app quality between the two might certainly be valid and probably is, but which is not the same as saying Apple doesn't/didn't have a problem too which you are trying to avoid acknowledging. 

As for you pointing out that Google Play is not the same as the App store that would be common knowledge. They plainly are not. 

Just as an example of why objectively that is the case -- you can upload your crappy app on Google and it will be sitting there forever as long as it does not spread viruses openly. Try to do the same with Apple store without updating your dev license or not caring about the app and see, how fast it will disappear. The answer is - it will disappear right after your dev license ends (which has 1 year lifespan) or after another major iOS update. So, in the App store, it is impossible to have a 5 year old app that hasn't been updated in all those years. It will be removed AUTOMATICALLY. 
    If what you are claiming is correct it's only been so for a few months. AI published an article here back in September with the news that Apple would be removing very old, and sometimes no longer working apps that dated back years. Here's the source article AI used:
    https://techcrunch.com/2016/09/01/apple-is-going-to-remove-abandoned-apps-from-the-app-store/

"It’s cleaning time in the App Store. Apple sent an email to its developer community indicating that there will be some upcoming changes in the App Store. If an app no longer works or is outdated, it’s going to get removed from the App Store. And it’s about time.

“We are implementing an ongoing process of evaluating apps, removing apps that no longer function as intended, don’t follow current review guidelines, or are outdated,” Apple wrote.

In the early years of the App Store, Apple kept mentioning insane numbers. It was a vanity metric as nobody would install millions of apps. Still, Apple kept sharing new numbers. As of June 2016, there are 2 million iOS apps for the iPhone and iPad. They have been downloaded 130 billion times ever since the App Store was launched in 2008.

But many of these apps don’t work at all and are never downloaded. Hundreds of millions of apps were probably built on an older version of iOS and never updated. So it’s time to improve App Store discovery. It’s going to be interesting to see whether the number of apps in the App Store is going to drastically go down."

Oh, and in case you're questioning whether Apple themselves said there were old no longer functioning apps in the Apps Store, abandoned perhaps for years, yes they did. 

Screen Shot 2016-09-01 at 80203 PM

edited June 2017
  • Reply 23 of 34
    anton zuykovanton zuykov Posts: 1,056member
    gatorguy said:
    If what you are claiming is correct it's only been so for a few months
    Not true. My app was removed right after my dev license expired, which happened about 1 year ago, which would be BEFORE they officially announced that, according to what you have posted.

"But many of these apps don’t work at all and are never downloaded.
    Many? How many?

Hundreds of millions of apps were PROBABLY built on an older version of iOS and never updated"

I am not really a fan of weasel words.... "Many of those apps don't work", "PROBABLY built on".
    Also, why did you quote those numbers if they are not the number of apps that were removed? How is that relevant to the discussion? What was the point of posting that?

As for my personal observations - looking at the revenue from both stores, looks like people agree with me on that one, since App Store generates a lot more, than Google Store.
    There must be a reason for that, but I am sure it has nothing to do with higher quality of the product. /s
    Sigh...
    edited June 2017 pscooter63
  • Reply 24 of 34
    gatorguy said:
    If what you are claiming is correct it's only been so for a few months
    Not true. My app was removed right after my dev license expired, which happened about 1 year ago, which would be BEFORE they officially announced that, according to what you have posted
    Also, why did you quote those numbers if they are not the number of apps that were removed? How is that relevant to the discussion? What was the point of posting that?

As for my personal observations - looking at the revenue from both stores, looks like people agree with me on that one, since App Store generates a lot more, than Google Store. 
    There must be a reason for that, but I am sure it has nothing to do with higher quality of the product.

Why did I mention numbers?? Did you even read the article you are replying to? BTW, how long did "your app" languish there before Apple removed it? Was it abandoned? Apple found that some number of apps were and for a long time, much as you seem to dispise admitting it. Read Apple's own letter to developers (which I'm sure you received before Apple disposed of your app)

Anyway as for the revenue comparisons those with the disposable income to purchase a premium-priced Apple iPhone would also worry less about the money spent on apps for it IMHO. If you're of lesser means I would personally think you might be more selective and considerate before spending money perhaps better used for other needs. It's really no different than those driving a Bentley (whether it's the best car or not) spending more on travel and bling than someone driving a Cadillac STX. Both nice cars but the Bentley owner is probably wealthier and can well afford to spend more without concern all things considered. (and no I have no desire to argue over cars)

I also already said myself that the quality of the apps between the two almost certainly favors the App Store. Are you imagining I disagreed with you? 

edited June 2017
  • Reply 25 of 34
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    Soli said:
    I’m happy to read about this but I honestly never come across any of these crap apps since I’m mostly directly directed to new apps via a review from a trusted tech outlet or a personal recommendation. Very rarely do I even seek out app store on my own and even then it’s likely found via a Google Search or asking a friend. IOW, I never blindly check the App Store for titles.
    Good thing too, because the App Store sucks for discovery of things. It STILL has no subcategories for the multiple and very different things that fit under their catch-all "Music" category. Idiotic. Myopic.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 26 of 34
    dysamoria said:
    I've not noticed any reduction in clone or junk apps...
    Have you been logging and counting them? What metrics are you using in your quantitative study? Details, please. 
    When did I say I made a quantitative study? I'm just expressing my personal observation after browsing the App Store for specific things and finding app after app that does the same thing (badly if at all) as tens of other apps, most of them designed to sell advertising impressions. It's especially problematic in the "free" category and where open source is involved. 
    williamlondon
  • Reply 27 of 34

I believe that Apple originally allows crap in at times to boost numbers for marketing purposes...so many titles should not have ever made it into App Store in the first place.  But I am glad they are cleaning this up a bit.  Should do 2 rounds of cleanup and then make it a practice to do this every quarter.
    Agreed. It's hard to believe a company cares about quality over quantity when they're constantly marketing their store by "number of apps"...
    williamlondon
  • Reply 28 of 34
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    spacerays said:
    I have bought some good 32 bit apps which are now being bugged with the compatibility message. I would be pissed if Apple doesnt allow me to redownload these apps from the App Store in the future. I payed for them and they have been working fine for years. If they can work in 64 bit iOS all this while I dont understand what is the motive to remove compatibility for them in iOS 11.
    You should be pissed at the devs for not updating those apps in a while, and not at Apple for trying to maintain their ecosystem.. The talk about changing form 32->64 arch has been going on for at least a year, if not longer. It wasn't exactly a surprise, you know.
    Four years of warning about the impending shift.
  • Reply 29 of 34

gatorguy said:
    dysamoria said:
    Have you been logging and counting them? What metrics are you using in your quantitative study? Details, please. 
    Oh geez, again with challenging someone's personal observations. He didn't claim it as fact so why would you (again) be demanding metrics and studies and facts and....

His metric was personal observation since you missed it. Do you not ever make them yourself? Constantly challenging opinions that you don't share with demands for facts and studies or their opinion doesn't matter comes off as a bit trollish. It seems like you're just looking for a disagreement for no reason other than to disagree. We all have opinions, you included.

BTW since you didn't apparently notice: The claim Apple has factually removed hundreds of thousands of copycat apps didn't come from official Apple statements. There was no mention in the Techcrunch source article what metric the author used for making that determination other than he "understood" it had happened, and the implication was he didn't depend on a quantitative study proving it. Are you challenging the Techcrunch author and the AppleInsider editor as well? 
    We don't blindly repeat anything. We have our own sources, and check with them.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 30 of 34

spacerays said:
    I have bought some good 32 bit apps which are now being bugged with the compatibility message. I would be pissed if Apple doesnt allow me to redownload these apps from the App Store in the future. I payed for them and they have been working fine for years. If they can work in 64 bit iOS all this while I dont understand what is the motive to remove compatibility for them in iOS 11.
    If you remember the "Fat binary" days of PPC and Intel code bases, the issue isn't that dissimilar. Migrating to 64-bit allows for cruft-cleanup of what might be called "legacy" code, if you can consider 5-year old routines that, and a focus on one codebase, rather than two.

There are other architectural advantages to 64-bit only.

You may have paid for the apps five years ago, but where are the developers now with updates, given that you doled out cash for the apps?
    edited June 2017
  • Reply 31 of 34

gatorguy said:
    dysamoria said:
    Oh geez, again with challenging someone's personal observations. He didn't claim it as fact so why would you (again) be demanding metrics and studies and facts and....

His metric was personal observation since you missed it. Do you not ever make them yourself? Constantly challenging opinions that you don't share with demands for facts and studies or their opinion doesn't matter comes off as a bit trollish. It seems like you're just looking for a disagreement for no reason other than to disagree. We all have opinions, you included.

BTW since you didn't apparently notice: The claim Apple has factually removed hundreds of thousands of copycat apps didn't come from official Apple statements. There was no mention in the Techcrunch source article what metric the author used for making that determination other than he "understood" it had happened, and the implication was he didn't depend on a quantitative study proving it. Are you challenging the Techcrunch author and the AppleInsider editor as well? 
    We don't blindly repeat anything. We have our own sources, and check with them.
    As I assumed you would. I think you, the mods and the editors do an admirable job.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 32 of 34
    neebongneebong Posts: 12member
    Thinking about our Apps libraries that are on our iMac's or MacBooks here.

Is there any way to delete all the apps that are no longer relevant, ie not 64 bit?

Since my iPhone 3GS i have amassed 539 apps (i did a clean out a few weeks ago of crap that im not ever going to use again).

Obviously there will be a lot of apps that :

A - i dont use, but are still valid still published and updated apps
    or
    B - 32bit apps that are way older and wont work when iOS 11 come out..

It would be nice to trim the near 40GB of apps that im not going to be able to use any more after iOS 11

Any ideas?

• Reply 33 of 34
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,884member
    gatorguy said:
    dysamoria said:

Interestingly you’re the one guy who seems to take issue with my posts, seemingly because I challenge your assertions somewhat regularly. You often interject straw men into my posts. You saw I’m trollish, but I find your never ending google cheerleading and FUD stuff trollish.

Anyway, yes I do believe this article and that they’re culling the app store. Its credible. But personal anecdotes to the contrary are pretty much worthless in discussing tech trends, which is my point. Individuals simply don’t have to data points needed for valuable observation. Just because one guy said he still sees X doesn’t mean Apple isn’t working on improving the inventory. This isn’t a controversial position for me to hold. 
    edited June 2017