Google pledges to stop scanning emails in Gmail for personalized ads

Comments

• Reply 61 of 86
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Incidentally, although "wage gap" propaganda is absolutely provable nonsense pushed by Progressive-Marxists, Google now has this burr in their saddle to contend with:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/googles-trust-us-approach-doesnt-satisfy-pay-gap-skeptics-1498302004
    edited June 2017 tallest skil
  • Reply 62 of 86
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    jdb8167 said:
    Too late Google. I’m never coming back. Though I’m happy that they will stop spying on emails that I send to friends who still use GMail. People won’t pay $100 /yr to protect their privacy.
    There is the issue, even though some people do not use gmail or any Google services and agreed to their EULA they still read emails of others who send to their users. So they have been violating everyone's privacy without giving the rest of us something in exchange. Because of this I tell people I will not send them emails unless they use a real email account.
    ericthehalfbee
  • Reply 63 of 86
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    So, and correct me if I'm wrong, but every email a Mac user sends using their Apple Mail to a Gmail account is surely also being scanned and used this way.  If so, I'd like to see a class action law suit.  Gmail users probably signed up for this invasion of privacy, Apple Mail users didn't.

BTW and relevant ...  Little Snitch version 4 is out in beta now (10.12 and 10.13 compliant) and very impressive!  
    edited June 2017 williamlondon
  • Reply 64 of 86
    gatorguy said:
    Worth mentioning.

Just to experiment I turned off my ad-blocker for a couple of hours today, researched a couple of products for the yard, made one purchase, then returned here to see what kind of ads I might see. There were several that appeared in the sidebar on the main page and a couple in-line ones too. ( I never see ads here so old news to those not blocking ads). Some were from Google and some from other placement companies. Noticeably the only ads put in front of me connected to product browsing from this morning came from Criteo (three) and oddly one from Intel directly. The ones Google presented here had nothing at all to do with any search or inquiry I had ever made, and TBH were for products I'd not likely ever have any interest in. 
    Your experience doesn't reflect mine at all. If I wanted to be harsh, I would say your claim is bogus. For some reason, AdBlock Plus is broken on my Chrome desktop browser and I had to turn it off for a few days. And, I was inundated with ads left, right and centre related to ecommerce product domains I typed in, search terms in Google etc.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 65 of 86
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    MacPro said:
    So, and correct me if I'm wrong, but every email a Mac user sends using their Apple Mail to a Gmail account is surely also being scanned and used this way.  If so, I'd like to see a class action law suit.  Gmail users probably signed up for this invasion of privacy, Apple Mail users didn't.

BTW and relevant ...  Little Snitch version 4 is out in beta now (10.12 and 10.13 compliant) and very impressive!  
    Yup. Scanned to make sure you aren't sending phishing emails or spam to that Gmail user, which is certainly legit since Apple does the same for incoming Apple Mail. But also machine scanned for keywords (e.g. photography, Mexico, Disney, fishing, etc) that might indicate an interest the GMail account holder might have and for which an advertiser may have an ad prepped. It's not harvesting anything connected to the Apple Mail user AFAIK since they'd have no idea who you actually are, but still a class-action lawsuit would absolutely be appropriate since you had not agreed to Google scanning your emails eventho you agree to Apple doing so. Yes it's understood that while Apple and Google scan for some of the same things but Apple isn't scanning for advertising purposes which some folks consider a bit too intrusive. 

Oh, and BTW it's already a class-action lawsuit. If you had read the very first post in this thread you might have been prompted to find out more about what I was talking about when I said Google may not be doing this strictly for the reasons they stated. If there's anything particularly problematic regarding your privacy and Gmail you'll be finding out as the case progresses. AI and every other news and rumor outlet will report it. To catch up with the current status do a search for "Gmail class action Judge Koh". 
    edited June 2017
  • Reply 66 of 86
    gatorguy said:
    gatorguy said:
    This will be very appreciated news for some number of Gmail users. Of course this might have been prompted by Judge Koh who clearly disliked the practice and had full intention of issuing rules under which Google would be permitted to do so. Far easier and more PR worthy to get out ahead of it and simply stop doing it altogether. 
     From my years of being an AI reader, it wasn't really a surprise to see your's being the first reply on this post.
    From my years of being a contributing AI forum member it wasn't really a surprise to see a new guy start out his history here trying to make things personal instead of insightful, falling into the same routine of so many other posters on so many other sites. We can learn from each other or insult each other. Your choice. 
    Don't pretend that I didn't make an insightful comment when you chose to deflect it with an inanity about having to produce evidence that Google can track across dynamic IP addresses. 
    williamlondonMacPro
  • Reply 67 of 86
    gatorguy said:
    gatorguy said:
    This will be very appreciated news for some number of Gmail users. Of course this might have been prompted by Judge Koh who clearly disliked the practice and had full intention of issuing rules under which Google would be permitted to do so. Far easier and more PR worthy to get out ahead of it and simply stop doing it altogether. 
     From my years of being an AI reader, it wasn't really a surprise to see your's being the first reply on this post.
    From my years of being a contributing AI forum member it wasn't really a surprise to see a new guy start out his history here trying to make things personal instead of insightful, falling into the same routine of so many other posters on so many other sites. We can learn from each other or insult each other. Your choice. 
    Don't pretend that I didn't make an insightful comment when you chose to deflect it with an inanity about having to produce evidence that Google can track across dynamic IP addresses. 
    Fair enough. You'd prefer discussions to be targeting the person instead of the topic. *sigh*
  • Reply 68 of 86
    gatorguy said:
    Worth mentioning.

Just to experiment I turned off my ad-blocker for a couple of hours today, researched a couple of products for the yard, made one purchase, then returned here to see what kind of ads I might see. There were several that appeared in the sidebar on the main page and a couple in-line ones too. ( I never see ads here so old news to those not blocking ads). Some were from Google and some from other placement companies. Noticeably the only ads put in front of me connected to product browsing from this morning came from Criteo (three) and oddly one from Intel directly. The ones Google presented here had nothing at all to do with any search or inquiry I had ever made, and TBH were for products I'd not likely ever have any interest in. 
    Your experience doesn't reflect mine at all. If I wanted to be harsh, I would say your claim is bogus. For some reason, AdBlock Plus is broken on my Chrome desktop browser and I had to turn it off for a few days. And, I was inundated with ads left, right and centre related to ecommerce product domains I typed in, search terms in Google etc.
    Did you click on the corner of the ads that seemed to be based on a search or page you visited to see who the ad was placed by? That's how you find out who is targeting ads your way, rather than simply assuming that if you see a personalized ad it must be from Google.  There are literally hundreds of of web advertising companies that Ghostery blocks for me, and likely that your ad-blocker keeps away for you too. 

Yes, like you I see lots of ads with Ghostery turned off. Not all are from Google as you can discover for yourself, and the ones based on eCommerce sites I visited yesterday came from a ad company named Criteo, not Google. Yup, lots of non-targeted Google ads as well, or at least if they were supposed to be ads based on my interests they were way off target. Criteo on the other hand was VERY specifically re-targeting me with display ads for things I had actually looked at earlier in the day. 
    edited June 2017
  • Reply 69 of 86
    MacPro said:

Lol, think that through....

Once you you send it & it gets dumped into the receiving party’s inbox, it is their property. They may show it to whomever they wish, correct?
    If you sent me an email & I showed it to my uncle; are you of the opinion that you’d have a basis to sue me?? Of course not! Similarly, when a gmail user accepted the EULA & terms of service they agreed to “show” the emails they receive to Google. They are NOT scanning anything that you have ownership of, using Apple mail... they only scan it once the receiver takes ownership of it (when it hits their inbox).
    Anyways....
     I think in this instance... such a lawsuit would never even get off the ground.
    It is EXTREMELY clear cut.
  • Reply 70 of 86
    MacPro said:

Once you you send it & it gets dumped into the receiving party’s inbox, it is their property. They may show it to whomever they wish, correct?
    If you sent me an email & I showed it to my uncle; are you of the opinion that you’d have a basis to sue me?? Of course not! Similarly, when a gmail user accepted the EULA & terms of service they agreed to “show” the emails they receive to Google. They are NOT scanning anything that you have ownership of, using Apple mail... they only scan it once the receiver takes ownership of it (when it hits their inbox).
    Anyways....

Judge Koh is allowing one to proceed.
    http://www.cnbc.com/2017/03/16/reuters-america-us-judge-rejects-google-email-scanning-settlement.html
    To be clear neither the plaintiffs, nor their attorneys, nor the judge is claiming Google uses emails from outside mail service providers like Apple mail for anything other than determining ads (using keyword machine scanning)  to be shown to the Gmail recipient. They aren't building ad profiles on you the Apple Mail, or Yahoo, or Earthlink, or Outlook customer. 

AFAICT, to borrow a phrase from the movies, "No Apple Mail users were harmed in the creation of the targeted ads".  :)
  • Reply 71 of 86
    gatorguy said:
    MacPro said:

Anyways....

http://www.cnbc.com/2017/03/16/reuters-america-us-judge-rejects-google-email-scanning-settlement.html
    To be clear neither the plaintiffs, nor their attorneys, nor the judge is claiming Google uses emails from outside mail service providers like Apple mail for anything other than determining ads (using keyword machine scanning)  to be shown to the Gmail recipient. They aren't building ad profiles on you the Apple Mail, or Yahoo, or Earthlink, or Outlook customer. 

AFAICT, to borrow a phrase from the movies, "No Apple Mail users were harmed in the creation of the targeted ads".  :)
    MacPro said:

Anyways....
    'LOL' ...  I have 'thought this through' and have changed any GMAIL user I know who also has an iCloud account to the latter in contacts, I will try may hardest to avoid sending any emails to GMAIL.  I have deleted my own.  Small protest I know but if every Mac user were to do the same Google would be left with PC users and Android users.  The latter not too profitable for target ads I'd  suspect and the former either corporate users or gamers, again probably not too fertile.  Apple users boycotting GMAIL could have an impact I'd think.
  • Reply 72 of 86
    MacPro said:
    gatorguy said:
    MacPro said:

Anyways....

MacPro said:

Anyways....
    'LOL' ...  I have 'thought this through' and have changed any GMAIL user I know who also has an iCloud account to the latter in contacts, I will try may hardest to avoid sending any emails to GMAIL.  I have deleted my own.  Small protest I know but if every Mac user were to do the same Google would be left with PC users and Android users.  The latter not too profitable for target ads I'd  suspect and the former either corporate users or gamers, again probably not too fertile.  Apple users boycotting GMAIL could have an impact I'd think.
    I believe you are confused sir. As reported YOU as an Apple Mail user sending an email to a Gmail user never had your message machine scanned  for an ad intended for YOU.  Any scanning was for keywords for the Gmail recipients ad profile. I don't think Google would even know who you are unless you have a Google account. You'e just another email account contacting one of their Gmail customers. So not letting Google scan your Apple Mail email would have a zero effect on their revenue attributable to you.  They are not machine scanning your emails to send you targeted ads.
    edited June 2017
  • Reply 73 of 86
    gatorguy said:
    MacPro said:
    gatorguy said:
    MacPro said:

Anyways....

MacPro said:

Anyways....
    I believe you are confused sir. As reported YOU as an Apple Mail user sending an email to a Gmail user never had your message machine scanned  for an ad intended for YOU.  Any scanning was for keywords for the Gmail recipients ad profile. I don't think Google would even know who you are unless you have a Google account. You'e just another email account contacting one of their Gmail customers. So not letting Google scan your Apple Mail email would have a zero effect on their revenue attributable to you.  They are not machine scanning your emails to send you targeted ads.
    Perhaps a misunderstanding or poorly worded on my end.  I also have a GMAIL account therefore my emails using that were scanned and I was targeted.  When I was emailing friends with Gmail I most often used Gmail.   I was suggesting Apple users tell Google where to go and remove their Gmail accounts as I have.  I also said Apple users leaving Gmail could have an impact on Google's bottom line.  Just as iOS has.  What I said I had done was I had changed all contacts from Gmail to iCloud where possible to maintain an end to end system that is not scanned but also to make a small statement that I was avoiding anything to do with Gmail.  Hope that's all clear.  It's already 3 hours and 23 minutes hours past Gin & Tonic time here on the Gulf Coast so I won't get into intellectual discussions :).
  • Reply 74 of 86
    MacPro said:
    gatorguy said:
    MacPro said:
    gatorguy said:
    MacPro said:

Anyways....

MacPro said:

Anyways....
    Perhaps a misunderstanding or poorly worded on my end.  I also have a GMAIL account therefore my emails using that were scanned and I was targeted.  When I was emailing friends with Gmail I most often used Gmail.   I was suggesting Apple users tell Google where to go and remove their Gmail accounts as I have.  I also said Apple users leaving Gmail could have an impact on Google's bottom line.  Just as iOS has.  What I said I had done was I had changed all contacts from Gmail to iCloud where possible to maintain an end to end system that is not scanned but also to make a small statement that I was avoiding anything to do with Gmail.  Hope that's all clear.  It's already 3 hours and 23 minutes hours past Gin & Tonic time here on the Gulf Coast so I won't get into intellectual discussions :).
    We're in the midst of happy hour(s) here too. Have a nice relaxed evening to prepare for another work week. :)
  • Reply 75 of 86
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    MacPro said:

Anyways....
    If its like copyright it is in fact not the receiver's property.
    So, you're telling me that I send my thesis to a Gmail account I have in fact relinquished all claims to this document... Really. Is that what it takes.
    What about photographs, or document with Intellectual property in them, or propietary info in them, or business info in them.
    Google can do whatever because you sent that doc to a Gmail account.... Well, I'd like those fuckers try to defend this in court if they even dare.

Saying to think of this trough is condescending when obviously you have not.
    And no, it is not clear cut until it hits the courts.
    edited June 2017 williamlondonericthehalfbee
  • Reply 76 of 86
    foggyhill said:
    MacPro said:

Anyways....
    If its like copyright it is in fact not the receiver's property.
    So, you're telling me that I send my thesis to a Gmail account I have in fact relinquished all claims to this document... Really. Is that what it takes.
    What about photographs, or document with Intellectual property in them, or propietary info in them, or business info in them.
    Google can do whatever because you sent that doc to a Gmail account.... Well, I'd like those fuckers try to defend this in court if they even dare.

Saying to think of this trough is condescending when obviously you have not.
    And no, it is not clear cut until it hits the courts.
    And that's what happens when you block another member here Foggy. You don't even know that it's already in the courts.  But you would have if you had read my post. 
  • Reply 77 of 86
    slurpy said:
    gatorguy said:
    lkrupp said:
    Will people ever figure out that Google is not a tech company? Google is an advertising company. With Google YOU are the product they sell. Every service they offer, every product they sell is designed to make YOU a better product for them. Who writes checks to Google? Consumers? Nope, especially not with all those “free" services they offer. Google’s main income is from advertisers who buy their product...YOU! Google, the gargantuan AD company masquerading as a tech company.
    They're quite obviously both, unless they have the most magical facade the world has ever seen that just makes us just THINK they've developed a few OS'es, engineered various pieces of simple yet quite effective hardware, created new and more simplified coding languages, delved into medical treatments, studies and devices, worked on satellite technologies, experimented with new ways to deliver internet services to the remotest and often poorest parts of the planet, and on and on. 

And also quite obviously many of their "moonshots" had nothing to do with ads. From the outside looking in Google sure looks like they do some stuff just to try and make our lives better. Not everything of course, but give 'em credit for being the good guys with no expectation of being paid back at least once in awhile. 

Going through that large list of yours, I can't seem to find a single item that actually got widely implemented beyond some very limited geographical experimenting, or that a large group of people have benefitted from. Further, it seemed Google had no interest in doing so. Notice the language you used, "delved into", "experimented with"- why didn't any of these amount to something real, or mainstream? A strong argument can be made that in Google's eyes, these "initiative" only serve to increase their profile, and thus the usage of Google serves, and thus ad revenue. And it works- blogs and news sites breathlessly report on these, most of which dissipate into nothing a year later. Google has shown little to no interest in actually committing seriously to any of these moonshots in any real way. What happened to Google Fiber? Google Glass? These technologies only served to get people talking, and at the end of the day they didn't change anything. As for Google's other hardware products like chromebooks or pixels, I would argue that they add little value to the world beyond being vessels of Google services.  
    To state that Google is not a tech company is ridiculous. It's like saying that the NYT or WSJ aren't a media company simply because a big chunk of their income comes from advertising. In fact, Google's contribution to the tech industry are rich and numerous. Here are some examples that simply list backend services:

- Hadoop is one of the most wide-spread big-data tools and is based on a set of papers that were published by Google researchers in 2005 on "MapReduce". Hadoop and the associated GFS file system were re-implemented based on these papers. 

- Google Spanner (similar to MapReduce but newer) - a new type of global database.

- Tensorflow - an open-sourced tool for ML and by many measures the leading one.

- Web apps with AJAX - Gmail and Google Maps were amazing when they came out around 2004 and had single-page design without reloads. Maybe people don't remind MapQuest - but it constantly refreshed a page and once you used Google Maps there was no way back. The same applies to Gmail - it was the first mail app with a native feel.

- Google Search of course: V1 was based on PageRank and was a new way of ranking web results. Even though Google has moved on it still showed the way for how to search.

- Streetview and Google Earth: widely used products which had no competitors at the time (and still don't have any really).

Google has so much pull in advertising because they built world-class services that people want to/need to use. 

williamlondon
  • Reply 78 of 86
    bigmikebigmike Posts: 266member
    Apple news?
  • Reply 79 of 86
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    slurpy said:
    gatorguy said:
    lkrupp said:
    Will people ever figure out that Google is not a tech company? Google is an advertising company. With Google YOU are the product they sell. Every service they offer, every product they sell is designed to make YOU a better product for them. Who writes checks to Google? Consumers? Nope, especially not with all those “free" services they offer. Google’s main income is from advertisers who buy their product...YOU! Google, the gargantuan AD company masquerading as a tech company.
    They're quite obviously both, unless they have the most magical facade the world has ever seen that just makes us just THINK they've developed a few OS'es, engineered various pieces of simple yet quite effective hardware, created new and more simplified coding languages, delved into medical treatments, studies and devices, worked on satellite technologies, experimented with new ways to deliver internet services to the remotest and often poorest parts of the planet, and on and on. 

And also quite obviously many of their "moonshots" had nothing to do with ads. From the outside looking in Google sure looks like they do some stuff just to try and make our lives better. Not everything of course, but give 'em credit for being the good guys with no expectation of being paid back at least once in awhile. 

Going through that large list of yours, I can't seem to find a single item that actually got widely implemented beyond some very limited geographical experimenting, or that a large group of people have benefitted from. Further, it seemed Google had no interest in doing so. Notice the language you used, "delved into", "experimented with"- why didn't any of these amount to something real, or mainstream? A strong argument can be made that in Google's eyes, these "initiative" only serve to increase their profile, and thus the usage of Google serves, and thus ad revenue. And it works- blogs and news sites breathlessly report on these, most of which dissipate into nothing a year later. Google has shown little to no interest in actually committing seriously to any of these moonshots in any real way. What happened to Google Fiber? Google Glass? These technologies only served to get people talking, and at the end of the day they didn't change anything. As for Google's other hardware products like chromebooks or pixels, I would argue that they add little value to the world beyond being vessels of Google services.  
    To state that Google is not a tech company is ridiculous. It's like saying that the NYT or WSJ aren't a media company simply because a big chunk of their income comes from advertising. In fact, Google's contribution to the tech industry are rich and numerous. Here are some examples that simply list backend services:

- Hadoop is one of the most wide-spread big-data tools and is based on a set of papers that were published by Google researchers in 2005 on "MapReduce". Hadoop and the associated GFS file system were re-implemented based on these papers. 

- Google Spanner (similar to MapReduce but newer) - a new type of global database.

- Tensorflow - an open-sourced tool for ML and by many measures the leading one.

- Web apps with AJAX - Gmail and Google Maps were amazing when they came out around 2004 and had single-page design without reloads. Maybe people don't remind MapQuest - but it constantly refreshed a page and once you used Google Maps there was no way back. The same applies to Gmail - it was the first mail app with a native feel.

- Google Search of course: V1 was based on PageRank and was a new way of ranking web results. Even though Google has moved on it still showed the way for how to search.

- Streetview and Google Earth: widely used products which had no competitors at the time (and still don't have any really).

Google has so much pull in advertising because they built world-class services that people want to/need to use. 

They are a tech company, but people oohing and ahing about them don't know what tech really is... 
    99% of their effort is very far from the heady fringe your talking about here over a period of 20 years.

Google is very good at tooting their own horn, that's a major expertise of theirs and its use freely to support their stock valuation...

Most of their greatest achievements over those 20 years have been done by a very very small team and are centered on AI and the big data to feed it.

When it comes to actually translating their things into actual hardware or software they've been a lot less successful.
    In fact, if Apple had 1/5 the failure rate of Google, Cook would have been sacked.

Most of their code is utter crap by the way, so not sure who the hell is in charge on that aspect down there, but they need to shape up.

• Reply 80 of 86
    lightknightlightknight Posts: 2,312member
    Blunt said:
    A lot of gmail user don't even know that their mails are being scanned. Sneaky stuff.
    In 2017? Then they get what they deserve. Of course, huge billion-dollar making platforms you use rather than pay for an enterprise-grade service (such as, say, Facebook or Gmail) scan and use your data. It's written all over the Internet since the 90s. If anyone did NOT get the memo over the last 25 years, they're not going to get it now.
    williamlondon