Apple device owners unable to restore from backup as iCloud outage continues [u]

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 27
    zimmermannzimmermann Posts: 326member
    I store my data on OneDrive (MS) plus use Mozy as an extra backup. Even if The Netherlands would totally sink because of the rising seas, thanks to Trump, my data are kept safe. As if I will have much use for them...
  • Reply 22 of 27
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member
    techrules said:
    foggyhill said:
    ksec said:
    You can argue that Google and Amazon has set the standard too high, where both have had MUCH more customers then Apple to serve but has far fewer downtimes on their Server Infrastructure. I think it is also worth mention that Apple 's Cloud is getting ( finally ) better over the past 12 months with fewer problems. Lets hope they keep on improving.

THIS is why I don't trust my data to the cloud. I have my own server.
    You will have to take care your Data Safety such as bit flop, HDD failure, ransomeware, fire hazard etc. I am not against having an own server. But seriously I want BOTH. I want a Time Machine that takes my backup first, and iCloud as my secondary backup.

Well, I think Apple was using someone else's backend for at least part of its Icloud solutions cause they certainly didn't have enough of it when the Iphone had its explosive growth from 2010 to 2015. There is a reason they've been building data centers like crazy.

I think saying Amazon have a stellar report here is a bit much considering Amazon has had major fucks in the last year were thousands of companies were affected.
    Don't have enough info on Google to comment either way.
    My understanding is that Apple was using Amazon for the backend of their cloud services and a year ago started moving to Google.     Apple is only doing the index while the actual data is stored on Amazon or Google.   So it must be an index issue?    As Google and Amazon clouds have not had any issues over the last couple of days.    I think Google is now going to offer their own backup and restore service which would probably be more reliably than something from Apple.

"Cloud Makes For Strange Bedfellows: Apple Signs On With Google, Cuts Spending With AWS"
    http://www.crn.com/news/cloud/300080062/cloud-makes-for-strange-bedfellows-apple-signs-on-with-google-cuts-spending-with-aws.htm

"Apple and Google reached a deal worth between $400 million and $600 million to host iCloud and other data on Google Cloud Platform. "
    They are also on Azure and IBM Softlayer as well. They basically have something like Netflix where they have their own Single API layer on top of all major Cloud Services. So they could switch from one or another. 
  • Reply 23 of 27
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member
    Speaking of backup, i actually experience a corrupted iCloud backup and it say i cant restore it. Really does piss me off. I was lucky to have another backup somewhere else. And they more data we accumulate in our Phone, the more important it is to backup.

I really really wish Apple could just take my money and offer a Time Capsule for iOS devices.  
  • Reply 24 of 27
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    I store my data on OneDrive (MS) plus use Mozy as an extra backup. Even if The Netherlands would totally sink because of the rising seas, thanks to Trump, my data are kept safe. As if I will have much use for them...
    Don't feel so secure:   Microsoft is in Seattle -- the city that popularized the "Throne" for a toilet:
    In the 1800's when the flush toilet was gaining popularity, Seattle residents drained their toilets directly into Puget sound.   But, since their homes and businesses were essentially at sea level, high tide simply washed it all back to them.  

Solution #1:  They began installing their toilets higher and higher -- so you had to use a ladder to get to them.  (Thus they became known as the 'Throne".
    Solution #2:  When the wooden buildings of the city mostly burned down, city fathers decided to raise the whole town up from sea level to 32 feet higher -- and average of 16 feet.  So while residents rebelled and rebuilt their buildings at the original lower level, the government rebuilt the roads at the new level.   So, once again, residents were forced to use ladders:  this time to cross the road.

Eventually, businesses started converting 2nd floor windows into doorways and putting walkways over to the road.   When the walkways eventually morphed into complete sidewalks, Seattle ended up with its "underground city":  a maze of underground sidewalks and business fronts...

Are you sure you want to trust a Seattle company to keep your backups safe and dry?   Their town is not much higher above sea level than your country!
  • Reply 25 of 27
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    bdkennedy said:
    Bad idea, unless you know exactly what you are doing. Basically, it is very similar to writing your own cryptographic library vs using the existing one - unless you REALLY know what you are doing, you go for the latter. There are a lot more people who think they know what they are doing, than the number of people who actually know their stuff.
    I'm not sure I'd compare the complexity of having your own backup or even personal 'cloud' to that of writing a cryptographic library! Backups are relatively easy and should be done by EVERYONE. Never, ever trust your data to someone's cloud, especially not Apple's. Be sure if you are using the cloud, it's an additional data location, not THE data location. In fact, even though I'm heading towards 30 years of IT experience (or, maybe exactly because of it), I won't use cloud services that won't allow me to make a backup of the data on my own.
    k2kw said:
    This is why I wouldn't trust an Apple made self driving car or software.
    Heh. I wouldn't trust anyone's 'self-driving' car, let alone Apple's.
    Even if The Netherlands would totally sink because of the rising seas, thanks to Trump, my data are kept safe. As if I will have much use for them...
    It might be sinking, but unless there are some really interesting fluid dynamics going on, you shouldn't have to worry about the seas rising anytime soon. I've been to San Francisco, Vancouver, and BC/Alaska not too long ago and the sea seems about the same level it's been for a long, long time. But, it is good practice to have your data ALSO in an independent location, even if you live on top of a mountain. :wink: 
  • Reply 26 of 27
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    cgWerks said:
    bdkennedy said:
    Bad idea, unless you know exactly what you are doing. Basically, it is very similar to writing your own cryptographic library vs using the existing one - unless you REALLY know what you are doing, you go for the latter. There are a lot more people who think they know what they are doing, than the number of people who actually know their stuff.
    I'm not sure I'd compare the complexity of having your own backup or even personal 'cloud' to that of writing a cryptographic library! Backups are relatively easy and should be done by EVERYONE. Never, ever trust your data to someone's cloud, especially not Apple's. Be sure if you are using the cloud, it's an additional data location, not THE data location. In fact, even though I'm heading towards 30 years of IT experience (or, maybe exactly because of it), I won't use cloud services that won't allow me to make a backup of the data on my own.
    k2kw said:
    This is why I wouldn't trust an Apple made self driving car or software.
    Heh. I wouldn't trust anyone's 'self-driving' car, let alone Apple's.
    Even if The Netherlands would totally sink because of the rising seas, thanks to Trump, my data are kept safe. As if I will have much use for them...
    It might be sinking, but unless there are some really interesting fluid dynamics going on, you shouldn't have to worry about the seas rising anytime soon. I've been to San Francisco, Vancouver, and BC/Alaska not too long ago and the sea seems about the same level it's been for a long, long time. But, it is good practice to have your data ALSO in an independent location, even if you live on top of a mountain. :wink: 
    OH WoW!
    .... Climate Change is fake!   Thanks for letting me know!   I've been listening to those dumb scientists -- and what do they know?
  • Reply 27 of 27
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    GeorgeBMac said:
    OH WoW!
    .... Climate Change is fake!   Thanks for letting me know!   I've been listening to those dumb scientists -- and what do they know?
    I suppose we shouldn't drag another discussion OT here... but, I don't know for sure, as I'm not a climate scientist. That said, I've listened to climate scientists from both sides. Here's what I do know though.... if you've got a winning argument, you don't conduct the debate in the manner it's being conducted. And, I've watched this play out over and over in other fields, including those I am pretty knowledgable about.  (The other day, I actually heard an audio clip of Al Gore citing the fish flopping in the streets of Miami as AGW, lol.)