Apple reveals 4K and HDR plans in iTunes, hinting revamped Apple TV may arrive soon

Comments

• Reply 41 of 94
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member
    What would be killer is if they had iTunes Match but for your movie collection, ripped or not — like they did with music. This'll never happen though, but imagine up converting an entire 480p DVD collection to HD/UHD. :D
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 42 of 94
    clexmanclexman Posts: 209member
    Hopefully the revamp extends to using a new design for the awful remote control
    I'm with you. The remote is a great idea, but I can't pick it up without bring up a menu.

I now have to use 2 remotes instead of just 1 universal one because the DirectTV Now app doesn't work properly without the Apple Remote.

I hate that I have to look at the remote to use it. If I feel for the buttons in the dark, a menu comes up.
  • Reply 43 of 94
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,040member
    lkrupp said:
    Can we settle an ongoing argument about 4K streaming? How much bandwidth is recommended for reliable 4K streaming? I have seen figures of around 20mbps. Now what is the average bandwidth available in the U.S. right now? I myself have a 12mbps DSL line so I am assuming 4K streaming would be useless to me, especially if other devices were consuming bandwidth online at the same time. And while we're at it my DSL line is 1mbps upstream. Using an online bandwidth calculator I figured it would take 120 hours to upload 50GB of my Photos library. This makes cloud computing a non-starter for me and I assume millions of others.
    Yeah, US Internet broadband service is overpriced.

People in Southeast Asia are getting ten times faster service at half or a quarter of the cost.

Cloud computing works for a vast majority of people on the planet. That group does not include the United States of America based on the dominant consumer ISPs in this country.
    StrangeDayscali
  • Reply 44 of 94
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    mpantone said:
    lkrupp said:
    Can we settle an ongoing argument about 4K streaming? How much bandwidth is recommended for reliable 4K streaming? I have seen figures of around 20mbps. Now what is the average bandwidth available in the U.S. right now? I myself have a 12mbps DSL line so I am assuming 4K streaming would be useless to me, especially if other devices were consuming bandwidth online at the same time. And while we're at it my DSL line is 1mbps upstream. Using an online bandwidth calculator I figured it would take 120 hours to upload 50GB of my Photos library. This makes cloud computing a non-starter for me and I assume millions of others.

People in Southeast Asia are getting ten times faster service at half or a quarter of the cost.

Cloud computing works for a vast majority of people on the planet. That group does not include the United States of America based on the dominant consumer ISPs in this country.
    Do you have any evidence to back that statement or just the "10x for 1/4" statement that excludes actual costs of the service for the provider and taxes levied against the people?
  • Reply 45 of 94
    polymniapolymnia Posts: 1,080member
    sflocal said:
    Name one Apple product that "shuts off" at any given time.  I know they all go into sleep mode, but not literally shuts down.
    Oh, what's it called… It's under Energy Saver in OS X; I think it's called "Sleep Schedule." I have our basement iMac (iTunes "server") automatically sleep at night and wake up in the morning (because we never use it then), but I can't do the same with the Apple TV. I'd like to have it auto-sleep, regardless of user input at the time.
    AppleTV also has a sleep mode.  I know this since I have one.  Are we missing something here?
    I'm sure it's my fault; I'm not describing it correctly. I just want the same scheduling for automatic sleep scheduling (bypassing user inputs and not contingent on a period of inactivity first) on the Apple TV as in OS X.
    What you describe sounds kinda of like parental controls. Maybe it would be worth looking into a solution from that angle?

i have no idea if AppleTV has parental controls, but I think other apple devices have them. 

I have no kids. 
  • Reply 46 of 94
    polymniapolymnia Posts: 1,080member
    lkrupp said:

macxpress said:
    lkrupp said:
    Nonsense. I find the Siri remote easy to use and have n ever had any issues with it.
    Except Siri can't do everything. Actually using the remote is a huge pain in the ass. The voice control may be decent, but the rest just makes for a non so great experience. The touch surface is far too sensitive and just plain awkward to use. Why can't they have a pointer, kinda like a Wii remote, or an LG remote does? Its like Apple doesn't have a clue as to how to make an input device. They suck as making mice and always have and now this. About the only thing they can make is a pencil. 
    Well that's your opinion only. I find the remote totally acceptable. I also find the wireless Magic Mouse to be great. I have gotten used to all the touch based features and use them all the time. So I reject outright your opinion that Apple sucks at most everything you claim it does. 
    I like the Magic Mouse as well. 

@macxpress makes a good point about the LG TV remotes. I have two LG TVs and the best thing about them is the remote. 

Too bad the Apps for LG WebOS are total shit compared to the AppleTV versions. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 47 of 94
    wigbywigby Posts: 692member
    lkrupp said:
    Apple TV isn't really streaming. It's progressive download so if you give it 5 minutes to buffer, you will have an uninterrupted viewing experience even at 12mbps. It's not realtime streaming like we all want but you also don't pay for 20mbps so why would you expect as much?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 48 of 94
    wigby said:
    lkrupp said:
    Apple TV isn't really streaming. It's progressive download so if you give it 5 minutes to buffer, you will have an uninterrupted viewing experience even at 12mbps. It's not realtime streaming like we all want but you also don't pay for 20mbps so why would you expect as much?
    What's the equation to get that 5 minute buffer for a 20Mbps content with a 12Mbps bandwidth? 
  • Reply 49 of 94
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    A little early as the support for this isn't coming until the new operating system releases.    Further many uses will end up needing new hardware.    Apple spent some time going over HEVC? and other multimedia upgrades that are coming.   I fully expect a new Apple TV and other supporting hardware, maybe even a new Mac Mini.  
  • Reply 50 of 94
    Tonibar said:
    This sounds great but with more Data comes restrictions from companies like COMCAST which puts a DATA LIMIT on subscribers. They implemented this policy in 2016 and never informed their customers until, like me, went over the limit, which was caused I believe by upgrading my Netflix account. The limit is 1024 GB and they say 99% of their customers never reach which I find hard to believe. So until Comcast is forced to eliminate this policy then a lot of people will never benefit from a new Apple TV.

This is why storing video locally is so important.   If you want to watch a movie more than once you are far better off keeping a copy on an iTunes hard disk.   As for file size this will be interesting because Apple is moving to a new encoders and decoders which should squash file size considerably.   4K will still be huge but lets face it many of Apples downloads are already huge.    

Honestly I've never seen the rational for streaming services, it has to cost the carriers a small fortune to transmit all that data.   When compared to broadcast TV it is very inefficient and frankly not very green.   
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 51 of 94
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    sans said:
    So what you are wanting is to hard set a time for when the Apple TV goes to sleep? 
    Bingo. It’d be even better if it required a passcode to bypass (a la parental controls), but I’ll take a simple automatic shutoff.
  • Reply 52 of 94
    entropys said:
    Sweet. In addition to 4K it should have HDR, Dolby vision and most importantly of all, a drop in price.

$99 headline price would goose sales considerably and I expect still have very good margins.
    Depends upon the feature set.   For me the ideal Apple TV would have a number of features to better support its intended use.   For one it needs a port to a disk array, for the obvious reason of having local storage thus limiting bandwidth usage and hopefully the associated costs.   Lets face it something you rent and some things you buy, purchases should get stored locally automatically for those that invest in external storage.     Second it would be really nice to see keyboard support via USB, that would greatly expand the utility of Apple TV and frankly Siri.   Third I would like to see a more generic and robust 12 VDC input to power the unit.    The reason for 12 VDC input is to allow easy use when mobil.   (test I'm thinking retirement in a few years).   5VDC via USB-C might not be a bad idea as 12 VDC to USB adapters are readily available.   Actually I'd like to see a Mini configured the same way with 12 VDC input.   
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 53 of 94
    Soli said:
    mpantone said:
    lkrupp said:

Do you have any evidence to back that statement or just the "10x for 1/4" statement that excludes actual costs of the service for the provider and taxes levied against the people?
    Good question.   The only thing I can say here is that it is pretty much accepted that people in the USA pay way too much for broadband.   We actually pay more than people in Europe.
  • Reply 54 of 94
    wizard69 said:
    Soli said:
    mpantone said:
    lkrupp said:

Good question.   The only thing I can say here is that it is pretty much accepted that people in the USA pay way too much for broadband.   We actually pay more than people in Europe.
    Directly, yes, but they pay a lot more in taxes and I've heard that the gov't heavily subsidizes, as well stepped in to force better competition, both or either of which would affect cost and performance, even without considering other tangible factors.
    edited July 2017
  • Reply 55 of 94
    lkrupp said:
    Nonsense. I find the Siri remote easy to use and have n ever had any issues with it.
    I think Siri remote doesn't have an awful design but at the same time I would be lying if I say never had any issues. First problem is identifying orientation of the remote, regularly I find myself holding it upside down. Second issue is sometimes I press the wrong button, to differentiate the buttons are designed hollow and bump, but it is still difficult to identify which button which. Third is scrubbing, with the old remote I could press down button and see equally devided portions of video and easily navigate it, with siri remote even though I can easily scrub most of the time I accidentally loose exact location of the video when I press the touch surface to confirm the location of the video. Playing games with the remote is very difficult, gamepad is not included in the box and Remote app is not make it easier. I believe an overhaul would be good for the next Apple TV remote.
    macxpressclexman
  • Reply 56 of 94
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,356member
    mpantone said:
    lkrupp said:

If you live in a semi-rural or rural area in the US it's highly likely that you are limited to one or two broadband providers. Even then, calling them "broadband" is inaccurate because the performance is often far below what qualifies as broadband. To add insult to injury, local governments will often grant exclusive access to a single provider so consumers are stuck with pathetic service and a provider that has zero incentive to upgrade their service performance or availability. Comparing the US to SE Asia isn't really fair because the US spent a tremendous amount of money on what is now grossly outdated and crumbling infrastructure and is now unwilling and unable to maintain much of what it already paid for or keep it in full working order, much less bump up performance or quality of service. Newer and emerging economies are making the investments today and the baseline has been significantly raised. I've spent time in SE Asia and it is plain to see that SE Asia is now the New World that's "busy being born" while the US has fallen into a lower tier of social and economic progress with a declining quality of life, i.e. it's "busy dying." 
    edited July 2017
  • Reply 57 of 94
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,874member
    yoyo2222 said:
    General>'Sleep after' settings are "Never, 15, 30 min, 1, 5, or 10 hours"
    Thanks; so they still haven't changed it. For the life of me, I don't get why they won't add scheduling.
    Because it’s a fringe use case and not useful to most people, who simply set it to sleep after inactivity. 
    stompylkruppwatto_cobra
  • Reply 58 of 94
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    I have no kids. 
    Me neither, I think they're over rated ;)
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 59 of 94
    macxpress said:
    lkrupp said:
    Except Siri can't do everything. Actually using the remote is a huge pain in the ass. The voice control may be decent, but the rest just makes for a non so great experience. The touch surface is far too sensitive and just plain awkward to use. Why can't they have a pointer, kinda like a Wii remote, or an LG remote does? Its like Apple doesn't have a clue as to how to make an input device. They suck as making mice and always have and now this. About the only thing they can make is a pencil. 
    I quite disagree. While I don’t like the symmetrical shape, I find the touch surface the best part of the remote, and love swipe scrubbing. I definitely don’t need a pointer. 

Have you tried adjusting the sensitivity?
    watto_cobracali
  • Reply 60 of 94
    clexman said:
    I'm with you. The remote is a great idea, but I can't pick it up without bring up a menu.

I now have to use 2 remotes instead of just 1 universal one because the DirectTV Now app doesn't work properly without the Apple Remote.

I hate that I have to look at the remote to use it. If I feel for the buttons in the dark, a menu comes up.
    I agree. I had to put a rubber band around one end which I feel immediately. They should fix the shape. 
    Soli