Romanian gang arrested for stealing $590,000 in Apple iPhones from a moving truck

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 24
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,038member
    netrox said:
    How can you steal iPhones and successfully sell them when they are clearly traceable?
    I was wondering about that. Don't the guys have the serial numbers or IEMI of the iPhones being shipped? In that case, Apple could be warned about the robbery and disable the devices on its activation servers making them useless bricks?
    There's always selling the parts, but I also assume you can sell iPhones on a grey or black market without issue. I think they could be tracked by the IEMI (which can be edited if the OS is jailbroken), but even without that it wouldn't stop a buyer who is likely only looking for 1) a new phone, 2) a real phone, and 3) one that doesn't have iCloud's Activation Lock enabled.

Would Apple get in touch with the *new* owners to inquire how they came to possess those stolen iPhones or just follow the devices being activated to look for a pattern?
  • Reply 22 of 24
    mykeymykey Posts: 6member
    I didn't know Dominic Toretto was Romanian...
    Soli
  • Reply 23 of 24
    ac88ac88 Posts: 24member
    netrox said:
    How can you steal iPhones and successfully sell them when they are clearly traceable?
    If you're selling an iPhone as BNIB, never been opened, the buyer likely doesn't know it's stolen or traceable. I assume their return policy is less flexible than Apple's, as well.
  • Reply 24 of 24
    tundraboytundraboy Posts: 1,888member
    I know these guys and other people like them are but a very, very small percentage of the population of Romania but I'm beginning to understand why Romanians have this, shall we say, "less than average" reputation in the EU.