Purported 'iPhone 8' production photo shows L-shaped battery, wireless charging coil

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 53
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    jb510 said:
    Wireless charging could mean dropping the lighting port....

No. The inductive charging will become the primary way of charging for plenty of people, but there are lots of secondary uses for the Lightning port that are staying just as they are for a long time. Most Car Play integrations require a Lightning connector, very few actually support the Wireless method. Only way to restore/recover your iPhone. Nope. Lightning isn't going anywhere for the foreseeable future, despite it not being used for (most) charging anymore.
    jb510 said:
    .... and bringing back the audio jack right?

No.
    Many CarPlay is using Wifi connection, man; only a few use cables!
  • Reply 42 of 53
    Apple was pursuing an extended range wireless charging technique that would negate the need of a separate charging mat and fuel up an iPhone from across a room with no extraneous accessories required. Apple never commented on the report, but speculation suggested Apple could be working with Energous Corporation on the technology. 
  • Reply 43 of 53
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,560member
    fallenjt said:
    jb510 said:
    Wireless charging could mean dropping the lighting port....

No. The inductive charging will become the primary way of charging for plenty of people, but there are lots of secondary uses for the Lightning port that are staying just as they are for a long time. Most Car Play integrations require a Lightning connector, very few actually support the Wireless method. Only way to restore/recover your iPhone. Nope. Lightning isn't going anywhere for the foreseeable future, despite it not being used for (most) charging anymore.
    jb510 said:
    .... and bringing back the audio jack right?

No.
    Many CarPlay is using Wifi connection, man; only a few use cables!
    Wireless CarPlay uses Bluetooth, not Wifi, and it's pretty rare compared to wired CarPlay.
  • Reply 44 of 53
    maxitmaxit Posts: 222member
    What I find more interesting is WHY is Foxconn still using Wndows XP?!?
    It seems to be 7 to me
  • Reply 45 of 53
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    ireland said:
    mr lizard said:
    jb510 said:
    Wireless charging could mean dropping the lighting port.... and bringing back the audio jack right?
    And if you need to transfer data via iTunes or choose to update your software that way you do what?
    For the small number of people still connecting their iPhones to a computer, there’s iTunes WiFi sync which has been around for years.
    You need a wire to turn it On
    Solvable problem.
    edited August 2017
  • Reply 46 of 53
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Hawk5263 said:
    Apple was pursuing an extended range wireless charging technique that would negate the need of a separate charging mat and fuel up an iPhone from across a room with no extraneous accessories required.
    Witricity was charging iPhones back when the 3GS was new. 

And they're still working on it. Why haven't they had a product yet? Why hasn't someone bought them up and USED them yet?!

• Reply 47 of 53
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    mr lizard said:
    jb510 said:
    Wireless charging could mean dropping the lighting port.... and bringing back the audio jack right?
    And if you need to transfer data via iTunes or choose to update your software that way you do what?
    For the small number of people still connecting their iPhones to a computer, there’s iTunes WiFi sync which has been around for years. 

Alternatively, we might see the introduction of the smart connector currently used in the iPad Pro models. 

Both would be slower than Lightning, but Apple’s not going to keep a port around for a small percentage of customers that still use it. 

And the poster who suggested the headphone jack might be coming back... I’m assuming that was a joke. 

So, let's say you update your phone over the air, and there's a problem and now your phone can't load the OS. How do you restore a phone from backup when it can't connect to wifi? At the moment, there is always a chance you can plug it in to the computer, and restore from a local or iCloud backup via iTunes. Without the Lightning Port, you can't do that.

I don't see the Lightning Port going away. You need a physical port (and at least one, better two, physical buttons) for situations where the phone is unresponsive.

• Reply 48 of 53
    metrixmetrix Posts: 256member
    DilirX said:
    Why are their systems still using WinXP Aren't they connected to the internet?
    20 years ago a lot of motion controllers were ISA or PCI proprietary cards with their own drivers. In some cases retrofits would run $50k per machine and other cases the card manufacturer was no longer in business. Many of these computers are stand a lone not connected to internet or network. Files are exchanged via sneaker net. 
  • Reply 49 of 53
    Hawk5263 said:
    Apple was pursuing an extended range wireless charging technique that would negate the need of a separate charging mat and fuel up an iPhone from across a room with no extraneous accessories required.
    Witricity was charging iPhones back when the 3GS was new. 

And they're still working on it. Why haven't they had a product yet? Why hasn't someone bought them up and USED them yet?!

Maybe cost? Size of the receiver? Able to mass produce? Frequency interference? I’m pretty sure they have a logical reason ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 
    Soli
  • Reply 50 of 53
    Also, fast charging is impossible via induction, and that has been a rumored feature for the iPhone 8
    Inductive charging will never happen. It's slow and useless if you don't have your charger, which is large and less convenient to carry than the 5w charger and cable. 

I think it's probably an overstatement to say that inductive charging will never happen, especially since it already has happened.  Pretty sure the Apple Watch uses inductive charging, does it not?  Don't own one, don't know.

Most people won't care that it sucks more juice than a direct wire, or that it takes longer.  I'd guess that a substantial number of people leave their chargers plugged in, even when they aren't in use, which still draws current, and if one charges one's phone at night, what difference does it make whether it takes two hours or six?  Now, if you run through your battery in half a day, like I do at the moment, that will make a difference.  I'd be amazed if a majority percentage of iPhone users do that, though.

• Reply 51 of 53
    airnerdairnerd Posts: 693member
    Every year about this time I get excited to see what Apple is going to deliver, but this year I'm particularly excited...unlike anything since the 3G. Wish they would set a conference date already so I can plan my time around it :)
  • Reply 52 of 53
    retrogustoretrogusto Posts: 1,111member
    slurpy said:
    jb510 said:

Oh, definitely, will will bring back a jack. After-all, with all the internet outrage, the iPhone 7 sold absolutely horribly and Apple has no choice but to bring back an analog jack created in the 1800s. Because Apple is well known to kill off ports then bring them back on future revisions. 

Oh wait, in this reality, the iPhone 7 was actually the best selling iPhone in Apple's history, internet outrage is laughably meningless, and they can't even keep up with the demand for Airpods almost a year later. So, no. Good riddance. 
    I know the headphone jack isn't coming back (and I almost always agree with your posts in general) but I think that the fact that Apple can't keep up with AirPod demand could also be another argument against nixing the headphone jack. Sure, there are plenty of people who don't care much about audio quality or don't care about the headphone jack, but until Apple can reliably provide something as good or better, its demise seems premature. The provided (for now) dongle solution is less elegant, does not allow simultaneous charging and seems to provide inferior sound quality. In most cases Apple got rid of a port because they were able to provide something that was better. The best solution now if you don't want an audio downgrade is probably a $39 Lightning-USB 3 dongle combined with an external DragonFly D/A converter ($100-$200), which is probably overkill but the options are limited. Maybe consumers who care about this are in a minority, but that's true of many individual features. I don't care about Bluetooth, but if Apple decided they could get rid of it and still sell plenty of phones, I wouldn't tell those who missed it how happy I was that it was gone and imply that they were dopes for being disgruntled.
  • Reply 53 of 53
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    slurpy said:
    jb510 said:

Oh, definitely, will will bring back a jack. After-all, with all the internet outrage, the iPhone 7 sold absolutely horribly and Apple has no choice but to bring back an analog jack created in the 1800s. Because Apple is well known to kill off ports then bring them back on future revisions. 

Oh wait, in this reality, the iPhone 7 was actually the best selling iPhone in Apple's history, internet outrage is laughably meningless, and they can't even keep up with the demand for Airpods almost a year later. So, no. Good riddance. 
    I think that the fact that Apple can't keep up with AirPod demand could also be another argument against nixing the headphone jack.
    The popularity of AirPods supports the removal of the antiquated 3.5mm jack.