Purported 'iPhone 8' production photo shows L-shaped battery, wireless charging coil

Comments

• Reply 21 of 53
    Also, fast charging is impossible via induction, and that has been a rumored feature for the iPhone 8
    Inductive charging will never happen. It's slow and useless if you don't have your charger, which is large and less convenient to carry than the 5w charger and cable. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 53
    robjnrobjn Posts: 283member
    You write:
    "a 5.1-inch user space with the remainder dedicated to virtual buttons."

We don't know this. Isn't it more likely that the home button/navigation bar will be contextual? It could disappear when scrolling and reappear with a little flick. It could disappear whilst playing a video and reappear with a touch of the screen. This way the screen space is used to full potential and home button is always there when you need it.

You write:
    Slimming or removing the bezels would allow Apple to fit a larger battery in both size and capacity into a form factor similar in size.

That makes no sense. The bezels are just paint on the cover glass - how does slimming them make room for a bigger battery? Actually, if anything, increasing the size of the display to reach the edges of the device reduces space inside.

I contend that Kuo's "function area" is a integrated hardware component built onto the same substrate as the OLED as a space saving strategy. It would fold under during assembly. We now know from the firmware leak that the "display area" resolution above the "function area" in Kuo's diagram is the entire display.
    edited August 2017
  • Reply 23 of 53
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    jb510 said:
    Wireless charging could mean dropping the lighting port.... and bringing back the audio jack right?
    And if you need to transfer data via iTunes or choose to update your software that way you do what?
    Neither of those are valid reasons, but diagnostics and device recovery are, so the Lightning port will be staying for a long, long time. Long past the time when no one uses it for charging.
    You still didn’t answer how someone transfers data to their device without a way to connect to a computer and desktop iTunes. It damn well is a valid reason when that’s the only way Apple allows you to get data on your device.
  • Reply 24 of 53
    Also, fast charging is impossible via induction, and that has been a rumored feature for the iPhone 8
    Inductive charging will never happen. It's slow and useless if you don't have your charger, which is large and less convenient to carry than the 5w charger and cable. 
    A computer in your pocket will never happen. It's slow and useless if you don't have a mouse and keyboard.

Seriously though, if the iPhone 8 has inductive charging then it probably won't be intended as a full replacement for lightning yet. If they add it then it could very well be a way to introduce a new way of charging into the Apple ecosystem whereby devices are charged while resting on pads placed in cars or built in to furniture. The charge rate could be much slower but if charging surfaces become ubiquitous then it could be a better overall solution.

Once again, have just the slightest bit of imagination people.
    edited August 2017 StrangeDays
  • Reply 25 of 53
    jb510 said:
    Wireless charging could mean dropping the lighting port.... and bringing back the audio jack right?
    Neither of which will happen.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 53
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    Inductive charging has existed for 2.5 years with Apple.
    franktinsley
  • Reply 27 of 53
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    mr lizard said:
    jb510 said:
    And if you need to transfer data via iTunes or choose to update your software that way you do what?
    For the small number of people still connecting their iPhones to a computer, there’s iTunes WiFi sync which has been around for years.
    You need a wire to turn it On
  • Reply 28 of 53
    Soli said:
    Inductive charging has existed for 2.5 years with Apple.
    No man, Apple never has new technology in products. The iPhone 8 will have exactly the same tech as the Apple 1.
    SoliStrangeDays
  • Reply 29 of 53
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    A computer in your pocket will never happen. It's slow and useless if you don't have a mouse and keyboard.

Seriously though, if the iPhone 8 has inductive charging then it probably won't be intended as a full replacement for lightning yet. If they add it then it could very well be a way to introduce a new way of charging into the Apple ecosystem whereby devices are charged while resting on pads placed in cars or built in to furniture. The charge rate could be much slower but if charging surfaces become ubiquitous then it could be a better overall solution.

No need to imaging. These things already exist.
  • Reply 30 of 53
    ireland said:

No need to imaging. These things already exist.
    I know right? There's so many numbskulls on here that can't even imagine Apple using technology that's existed for years! It's like they have never seen Apple add ANYTHING to any product ever before. Just incredible.
  • Reply 31 of 53
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    jb510 said:
    It's gone. Get over it already. 
    Soliwatto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 53
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    I would think it certainly would be possible in some future to drop the Lightning port.  Wireless mice, that sold for $20, often come with a USB dongle to plug into a laptop/PC that doesn't support Bluetooth on its own.  So those dongles couldn't have cost must to produce.

Same thing could allow removal of the physical Lightning port if required.  Apple would just need, within the iPhone, some very stable, perhaps redundant and isolated wireless tech that could be rebooted with some combination of power button and up volume button or some such.  This would create a connection to the dongle or directly to a registered computer to perform syncing or other maintenance tasks that currently require a Lightning cable.

Yes, first Apple would need to solve the issue of relatively slow inductive charging versus wired charging, but once that's resolved in some future iPhone, then there are ways to bounce the Lightning connector.  
    edited August 2017
  • Reply 33 of 53
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    I would think it certainly would be possible in some future to drop the Lightning port.  Wireless mice, that sold for $20, often come with a USB dongle to plug into a laptop/PC that doesn't support Bluetooth on its own.  So those dongles couldn't have cost must to produce.

Same thing could allow removal of the physical Lightning port if required.  Apple would just need, within the iPhone, some very stable, perhaps redundant and isolated wireless tech that could be rebooted with some combination of power button and up volume button of some such.  This would create a connection to the dongle or directly to a registered computer to perform syncing or other maintenance tasks that currently require a Lightning cable.

Yes, first Apple would need to solve the issue of relatively slow inductive charging versus wired charging, but once that's resolved in some future iPhone, then there are ways to bounce the Lightning connector.  
    I think we're quite a ways off before wired charging and syncing becomes fast and common enough, and wired MFi is effectively obsolete that Apple is willing to ditch Lightning.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 53
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    What I find more interesting is WHY is Foxconn still using Wndows XP?!?
    Many reasons:
    1. inertia
    2. it is often more reliable that trying to get old software to run on new OS releases.
    3. some manufactures have refused to upgrade their software / hardware combos so you are stuck with a system until you can justify an upgrade.
    4. Lets face it the alternatives from MS suck.

watto_cobra[Deleted User]
  • Reply 35 of 53
    Probably not.   In most factories the automation systems are not connected to the internet at all.   If they are they are via a bridge of some sort isolating them to some degree.    It isn't uncommon in a factory to find 100's of PC's not connected to the internet.   To put it simply the risk is too high.
    DilirX said:
    Why are their systems still using WinXP Aren't they connected to the internet

• Reply 36 of 53
    Soli said:
    I love seeing a condensed logic board.
    All the way back to the Apple ][. Apple’s logic boards have been marvels of design. Compare the original (I’d even say iconic) Apple ][ logic board (this one happens to be a custom 1:1 replica) to that of its clone, the Agat.

Deleted your pictures but what is amazing today is that the Apple 2 is often implemented as a class project on a single chip often a FPGA.   It is truly amazing to me how much power is stuffed into the iPhone these days.    A recent iPhone has more power than most of the computers I've owned over the years.   This includes Z80, 8088, 8086 and AMD variants, 486 and 586 based systems all of which ended up as garbage.   Hell the GPU in an iPhone outclasses most of what I had in these machines.

Frankly this is what has me excited about the next iPhone which should undergo a process shrink.   It will be very interesting to see how Apple uses all that new die area when they already have a bleeding edge chip fo cell phones.    All the different ways they could go just fills my mind with wonder.   Will it be simple improvement to the GPU's, advanced  improvements to the CPU's, AI dedicated hardware or something we haven't even thought about.   The likely SOC will include all of the above.

I'm actually excited about the next wave of iPhones, I'm just not sure I can afford to spend money on them.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 37 of 53

pbrutto said:
    jb510 said:
    Neither of those are valid reasons, but diagnostics and device recovery are, so the Lightning port will be staying for a long, long time. Long past the time when no one uses it for charging.
    I'm not sure where you get that idea.   Fast charging via induction is a function of the ability to transfer enough power without generating too much heat.   Nothing inherently prevent fast charging but you would need to closely couple the two inductive systems.
  • Reply 38 of 53
    tshapitshapi Posts: 370member
    The "iPhone 8" is rumored to feature an edge-to-edge OLED panel with a 5.1-inch user space with the remainder dedicated to virtual buttons. Slimming or removing the bezels would allow Apple to fit a larger battery in both size and capacity into a form factor similar in size to the 4.7-inch iPhone 7. 
    you're not reading your own articles.  reduction in logic board space requirements allows for increased battery volume.  Reducing bezel size does not increase the available volume for batteries [related: a change in engineering the side/front/back panel integration may give more internal volume]  and I would think the inductive charging component will eat up any space gains.  

My guess is: OLED and better battery tech will give you better/same time between charges compared to the current iPhone 7
    I think edge to edge screen does account in some ways for battery space.  for example
    1) no home button. 
    2) front camera and sensors are rearranged and back camera is also rearranged 
  • Reply 39 of 53
    I suspect Apple will do inductive charging for iPhone the way they did with the watch 
  • Reply 40 of 53
    jb510 said:
    You still didn’t answer how someone transfers data to their device without a way to connect to a computer and desktop iTunes. It damn well is a valid reason when that’s the only way Apple allows you to get data on your device.
    There's this nifty little thing called wifi which goes hand in hand with an invention call cloud storage.  Also I suspect the smart connector will come to iPhone before we love the lightning cable 
    Soli