Chinese developers file antitrust complaint against Apple over App Store removal policies,...

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 26
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    So, government authorized shakedown coming up I guess... How is it a monopoly if you control 10% of the market?

Words seemingly have no meaning these days.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 26
    hmlongcohmlongco Posts: 537member
    One problems is that apps with apparent Chinese developers often seem to "spam" the app store by submitting the same app over and over again. The app name may be different, but the functionality, UI, and often even the app store screen shots are identical.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 26
    freerange said:
    Great, now scumbag western law firm ambulance chasing / class action techniques are being being imported into China. And in this case, going after Apple for doing exactly what the Chinese government does, removing and banning things without notice or explanation. Comical!

Further, this looks like a big fat nothing burger. Trying to find out anything about these legal hacks online and virtually nothing comes up in English - they are obviously a small outfit. They have a Facebook listing with no info other than the fact that they are located in Beijing, and no website comes up, or other articles about them. Yawn! I did find their website but it's written only in Chinese. Any substantial Chinese law firm will have an English language version/link for their site, and their site isn't even optimized for mobile, which is laughable in the Chinese market.
    There are 1.3B people who speak Chinese and 527M speak English. The case is filed in China, the client is Chinese, the law firm is owned by Chinese with Chinese lawyers. I don't see the point they need to have a English translation or English website. It is like to ask a small law firm in Iowa to have French version of their website. 

It is the media's responsibility to translate the content for its user. You ask too much just because the media don't translate for you and you blame the company far far away don't even know you ever visit their site. 

Also, there is something call Google Translate. Make use of it.
    gatorguy
  • Reply 24 of 26
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    tzeshan said:
    macxpress said:
    China is just a huge pain in the ass...if its not one thing its another with them. 
    This is typical of western selfishness thinking.  Apple profited from China hundred times more than from India. Did you criticize India when India demanded Apple to do this and that? You are a loser!
    zoetmb said:
    macxpress said:
    China is just a huge pain in the ass...if its not one thing its another with them. 
    Vague generality that means nothing.   The same could be said of any country since every country has non-sensical and/or inconsistent or conflicting laws and policies.  

And the U.S. is by far, the most litigious country in the world.  We read about idiotic lawsuits constantly.  
    Its not just this lawsuit...its all the government shit Apple has to deal with that no other country does. It seems like every other day there's something stupid going on, or Apple is being asked to do something unethical. In general, China is just a big pain in the ass. Its a shame its actually worth the trouble for any company to do business in. 

I'm not saying the US is perfect by any means...not to start a political argument, but just look at the dipshit we have in charge now. I know the US has had some differences, such as trying to get Apple to create essentially a backdoor in iOS. 
  • Reply 25 of 26
    taniwhataniwha Posts: 347member
    Seems odd to me that some people here are getting their nickers in a knot about this. I haven't seen the actual complaint so I don't know if it has anything to do with "monopoly". Nobody else here seems to have seen the complaint either so it's a bit silly to take a position pro or contra. I can well imagine that there may be some legislations or regulations relating to fair competition as in the EU and maybe other countries. 

I also doubt that many here have either the ability to read chinese (no, the legal process in China probably doesn't require the documents to be submitted in English ;-) ) and I have even more doubts that ANYONE here has the slightest inkling about Chinese law. It strikes me as the height of arrogance to assume that everything in all aspects of chinese society is directly controlled by "the government". The chinese legal system may be "strange" to some americans, but to assume that it is completely disfunctional is just mindless arrogance and disrespectful of a culture that deserves better ... even if we don't like every aspect of it. I sure do like chinese food better than US junk food :-).

Its pretty senseless to apply American legal concepts regarding commercial and civil law to  any foreign jurisdiction, although many americans on AI do that regularly.

So just wait and see what comes out and calm down :-)
    gatorguyavon b7
  • Reply 26 of 26
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    taniwha said:
    Seems odd to me that some people here are getting their nickers in a knot about this. I haven't seen the actual complaint so I don't know if it has anything to do with "monopoly". Nobody else here seems to have seen the complaint either so it's a bit silly to take a position pro or contra. I can well imagine that there may be some legislations or regulations relating to fair competition as in the EU and maybe other countries. 

I also doubt that many here have either the ability to read chinese (no, the legal process in China probably doesn't require the documents to be submitted in English ;-) ) and I have even more doubts that ANYONE here has the slightest inkling about Chinese law. It strikes me as the height of arrogance to assume that everything in all aspects of chinese society is directly controlled by "the government". The chinese legal system may be "strange" to some americans, but to assume that it is completely disfunctional is just mindless arrogance and disrespectful of a culture that deserves better ... even if we don't like every aspect of it. I sure do like chinese food better than US junk food :-).

Its pretty senseless to apply American legal concepts regarding commercial and civil law to  any foreign jurisdiction, although many americans on AI do that regularly.

So just wait and see what comes out and calm down :-)
    So, WTF are you even talking about, talking about arrogance...; I smell of ton of it and condescension in your post.
    Apple has been operating in China for years and probably have 50 Chinese lawyers, even complete law firms, on board, not to mention all sort of high level contacts which are needed for any large companies to work in China. 

The government using supposedly private companies (but really regime connected companies) to shakedown foreign enterprises is a definite issue and part of the cost of doing business in many countries including China (its the case in most countries were the legal system is intertwined with the government). In those cases, the government usually controls both sides of the argument and basically it is nearly always 100% unfair and can either be seen as a protectionist move, or a tentative of the local government to demonstrate control (so a PR move for the locals).

. Last time some thing like that happened Time Cook had to get on a plane to China to sort things out.