How to shoot the Aug. 21 solar eclipse on an iPhone

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 28
    Who's gonna buy all this stuff just to take one photo?
  • Reply 22 of 28
    MegeByte said:
    You’d be surprised and terrified at the vapidity of people these days.
  • Reply 23 of 28
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    MegeByte said:
    You’d be surprised and terrified at the vapidity of people these days.
    Actually, I looked into the idea of using a Canon DSLR and 400 mm L lens with a 77mm solar filter and believe me it is opposite of vapidity.  It is extremely challenging and would have been stimulating (if bloody hot) had I decided to go ahead.  In the end the complexities of dealing with it even with professional equipment and the heat in Florida,  made me decide to not bother and enjoy the 4K version with far longer lenses being streamed live and relax in the air conditioning with a beer.  :)
  • Reply 24 of 28
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    MacPro said:
    Actually, I looked into the idea of using a Canon DSLR and 400 mm L lens with a 77mm solar filter and believe me it is opposite of vapidity.
    But did you buy it JUST for this?
  • Reply 25 of 28
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    I've been staring at the sun for an hour and I don't see anything. 
    SoliSpamSandwich
  • Reply 26 of 28
    For anyone who took photo's with their iPhone, iPad, etc. and were disappointed by a lack of definition in the actual Sun (too bright for the camera sensor); take another look for lens flare images.  I'm in South Texas; where the peak was at about 60%; and the Sun didn't look too abnormal; however, every image I took has at least one lens flare that shows the image that you would expect from a pin-hole reflector.  I'm attaching one image; taken during our local peak.  The secondary image is clearly visible to the lower - right of the Sun.

• Reply 27 of 28
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    I just watched the eclipse and I feel fine... honestly, I do.

Soli