Apple TV 4K may sport new Siri Remote with haptic feedback

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 36
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    And there's one thing more ... SmelloVision ...
  • Reply 22 of 36
    rob53 said:
    My biggest complaint with the current remote is my lack of ability to swipe straight down when I'm (trying to) scroll through my movies on my computer. It keeps bouncing between not viewed, viewed and genre. I'd rather have the old style remote that works with the four arrows so I always know when I'm going down or up. The same issue with the Remote app on my iPhone. Swiping needs to understand when you're in a list so it can only go in two directions, up and down. I started using the Remote app almost all the time but still have to use the AppleTV remote to wake it up. I don't use it for games so don't really care about the other features or even haptic feedback. Just make it work properly when scrolling.
    Have you tried tapping the cardinal directions on the trackpad? It lets you move a single item at a time. Don't actually press to click the trackpad, just lightly tap it. While swiping can be faster for navigating very long lists, I find rapid tapping more than fast enough for me.
    argonaut
  • Reply 23 of 36

sog35 said:
    zroger73 said:
    I was a bit surprised that the ATV4 didn't use force touch with haptic feedback since the technology already existed in other Apple devices.

I've never liked the ATV4 remote. It's too small, slippery, delicate, and doesn't have enough dedicated buttons such as "mute", "power", and "channel".
    Unlikely to get a mute button since all content can be paused. It doesn’t need a power button since you don’t need to turn it off. And it certainly doesn’t need channel up/down buttons since it doesn’t have, you know, channels. 

You're thinking old TV usage model, not apps. In an app content model you pause content, and you use the app switcher to quickly move between apps. Tho in general I believe it’s assumed the viewing habits of an app based streamer are different than broadcast TV — less roaming between content providers (channels in broadcast) and more intentional selection of content to view during a dedicated viewing session.
    sorry. A mute button is still needed.  Sometimes people want to watch TV or play games with the volume down.  

Also some TV apps only have a limited buffer. Like Playstation Vue can only PAUSE for 5 minutes then the stream will play automatically with FULL VOLUME.  Some TV packages on Dish can't even pause at all.

If Apple was serious about streaming TV, then a MUTE button is absolutely necessary. And if not a button at least a MUTE shortcut, like double tap siri twice.
    Considering the AppleTV itself does not output any sound, it seems the right place for a mute button would be on the thing which is powering the speakers. I agree it's confusing to have the volume adjustment buttons, since they do nothing on the AppleTV itself. If HDMI-CEC supports mute and unmute commands, then Apple should either support volume adjustment and muting, or should drop volume adjustment entirely.
  • Reply 24 of 36

sog35 said:
    Wish list for new remote:

1. Make it non-symetrical so I can tell by FEEL which side is the top/bottom without touching the touch pad (and executing a command I didn't intend)
    4. Mute button. Please. Please! Or at least a command that mutes accross all apps ( double click Siri button?)
    Yes!!! This remote reminds me of Apple's other physical UI flop, the original iMac mouse.
    I still really like the original iMac mouse. It was sized perfectly for me to hold it with my thumb and fingertips. I wish they'd make an updated version.
  • Reply 25 of 36

zroger73 said:
    But, it does need an "off" button - one that stops the current content from streaming and that sends the "off" signal to my TV and receiver using CEC. If I just walk away, whatever is streaming continues to stream needlessly consuming my monthly data allowance. If whatever is streaming ends and allows the ATV4 to sleep, my TV will eventually turn off after the ATV4 sleeps due to no signal. The receiver stays on. As it is, I can hold the "TV" button on the Siri remote that forces the ATV4 to sleep and also turns off my TV and receiver.
    Stop or pause the stream, then press/hold the circular button with the TV icon. That brings up the 'Sleep' selection. 'Sleep' = 'Off' for ATV. 
    It would still be easier and faster if there was a dedicated POWER button.
  • Reply 26 of 36
    melgross said:
    melgross said:
    I hope this ends the silly “It’s symmetrical” nonsense.
    Maybe they're going to LEAVE it symmetrical and let the gyroscope determine orientation so that your muscle memory button presses are correct no matter how you hold it!  :p
    Except that it’s NOT symmetrical. You guys must have pretty terrible feel in your hands. I can tell in the dark. I don’t know what your problems are.
    Good for you. Personally, I don't "read" braille (if I did, I probably wouldn't have much use for the ATV in the first place). The ATV4 remote is like someone handing me a chocolate bar in the dark and expecting me to recognize the orientation of the word "HERSHEY'S".
  • Reply 27 of 36
    @TV4 is easily one of the most mediocre products Apple has ever produced. I am still quite happy with my two @TV3s. Although, I find myself using them less and less, since Comcast offers many of the same features, much better integrated. If it weren't for being able to stream my photos and play my music from the cloud, I'd have jettisoned both the @TV3s as well, by now. 

I hope V5 is SIGNIFICANTLY better. If the only big thing with this version is 4K, I'll pass. 
  • Reply 28 of 36
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    melgross said:
    melgross said:
    Maybe they're going to LEAVE it symmetrical and let the gyroscope determine orientation so that your muscle memory button presses are correct no matter how you hold it!  :p
    Except that it’s NOT symmetrical. You guys must have pretty terrible feel in your hands. I can tell in the dark. I don’t know what your problems are.
    Me neither. The touch pad is the giveaway. 

And how are these people watching a television set in a completely pitch black room?

I think they should try switching on the television, then they should have enough light to see the remote. 

The remote is slippy as hell though. 
    edited September 2017
  • Reply 29 of 36
    Rayz2016 said:
    melgross said:
    melgross said:

And how are these people watching a television set in a completely pitch black room?

I think they should try switching on the television, then they should have enough light to see the remote. 

the touchpad is the giveaway - sure, but how did you ascertain which end had the touchpad? by touching it... and causing an inadvertent command on the appletv.

I have the same trouble daily with the Sky Q touch remote (UK), they DO offer a solid button alternative but it is IR rather than bluetooth connected so it's no use for my hidden media centre sadly. Touch pads are nice but imho, don't work on things you tend to use without looking at - reminds me of the annoyances I had when laptops stopped having individual touchpad buttons or they put scroll areas ON the touchpad - I have an old thinkpad stashed away with the "nub" mouse in the middle of keyboard and it works so well as you can't really go wrong.
  • Reply 30 of 36
    I actually like the existing remote - but it is 'slippy' and both of ours have been dropped and the glass touchpad's are all cracked/smashed and now held on with sellotape!
    They both still work fine, but their fragility is my biggest complaint.. I had no idea there were 3rd party cases available! :blush: 

Hopefully the new one may be more robust... but at a current replacement cost in the UK of £79 I am not rushing to replace both of mine.
  • Reply 31 of 36
    adm1 said:
    the touchpad is the giveaway - sure, but how did you ascertain which end had the touchpad? by touching it... and causing an inadvertent command on the appletv.

There's only one button that's lozenge shaped (volume). If it's on the right, then the controller is oriented correctly. You can do that by sight or by feel very easily. Contrary to what people are saying, the industrial design is well thought out that way. The small size and limited buttons make identifying the controls without looking at them a cinch.
  • Reply 32 of 36
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    zroger73 said:
    melgross said:
    melgross said:
    Good for you. Personally, I don't "read" braille (if I did, I probably wouldn't have much use for the ATV in the first place). The ATV4 remote is like someone handing me a chocolate bar in the dark and expecting me to recognize the orientation of the word "HERSHEY'S".
    It’s actually pretty obvious. You don’t have to learn anything. The top and bottom feel entirely different, and the button arrangement is pretty different. I believe that some people are just lazy about it.
  • Reply 33 of 36
    adm1 said:
    Rayz2016 said:
    melgross said:
    melgross said:

I have the same trouble daily with the Sky Q touch remote (UK), they DO offer a solid button alternative but it is IR rather than bluetooth connected so it's no use for my hidden media centre sadly. Touch pads are nice but imho, don't work on things you tend to use without looking at - reminds me of the annoyances I had when laptops stopped having individual touchpad buttons or they put scroll areas ON the touchpad - I have an old thinkpad stashed away with the "nub" mouse in the middle of keyboard and it works so well as you can't really go wrong.
    You don’t have to press any buttons to tell which is which. It’s really not that difficult, and after a couple of days, at the most, you can tell easily. That is, if you want to. If people want to be stubborn about it, then they never will. We used to argue about the virtual keyboard as well.
  • Reply 34 of 36
    sog35 said:
    adm1 said:

There's only one button that's lozenge shaped (volume). If it's on the right, then the controller is oriented correctly. You can do that by sight or by feel very easily. Contrary to what people are saying, the industrial design is well thought out that way. The small size and limited buttons make identifying the controls without looking at them a cinch.
    Nope.

If you go by feel alone, then their is a 50% chance you touch the touch pad and trigger a command you didn't want to do.

This could all be solved if the frame of the remote was not perfectly symetrical.  Or if they put something on the back of the remote telling you which side is top or bottom.

I had to do my own modification. I put a small piece of velcro on the back and front of the remote (non touch pad side).  That way when I pick up the remote I know instantly which is the top/bottom without looking.  

Don't get me wrong, the remote is pretty to look at.  But its not practical.  Those generic $9 remotes at BestBuy are more practical.
    No you don’t. I suppose if you’re heavy handed, then everything you touch will have a problem. But it’s easy to slide your finger over a button quickly to tell which it is without triggering it.
  • Reply 35 of 36
    sog35 said:
    melgross said:
    sog35 said:
    adm1 said:

Nope.

If you go by feel alone, then their is a 50% chance you touch the touch pad and trigger a command you didn't want to do.

This could all be solved if the frame of the remote was not perfectly symetrical.  Or if they put something on the back of the remote telling you which side is top or bottom.

I had to do my own modification. I put a small piece of velcro on the back and front of the remote (non touch pad side).  That way when I pick up the remote I know instantly which is the top/bottom without looking.  

Don't get me wrong, the remote is pretty to look at.  But its not practical.  Those generic $9 remotes at BestBuy are more practical.
    No you don’t. I suppose if you’re heavy handed, then everything you touch will have a problem. But it’s easy to slide your finger over a button quickly to tell which it is without triggering it.
    its not the buttons.  Its the touchpad.  YOu just glide your finger over the touchpad and it will execute a command (usually pull up the play menu)
    I’ve never had that happen.