Apple is de-bloating iTunes with latest 12.7 release, removes App Store

Comments

• Reply 61 of 95
    Well, it kind of screws up my custom ringtone development.  Now I've got to go through an elaborate connect a cable process to get them there.

Fn Apple ..
  • Reply 62 of 95
    JinTech said:
    gadgetdon said:
    So, no more creating your own ringtone and uploading it to your phone? There are still apps where you use iTunes to push documents to it, those are now toast. Not a fan.
    Except with macOS 10.13 and iOS 11 you will be able to use the Files app to "push" documents to your iOS devices. Isn't that a lot easier?
    It might .. but lets break the functionality for the current users for some indeterminate amount of time.  
  • Reply 63 of 95
    I'll miss the added real estate you get when surfing even the ios app store on a 27" monitor.   

Can you still 'arrange icons' of the phone on the mac?   That is something much easier to do than by hand on the phone.
    welshdogfastasleepbaconstangwatto_cobra
  • Reply 64 of 95
    Asdrubal said:
    For me this de-bloating is welcome as I only have a Classic iPod. But after today's upgrade I cannot change the height of the columns "genre/artists/albuns" in the Columns Browser. I tried positioning the mouse all over the area and it does not allow to change the height. Is this happening only to me?

This screenshot shows the problem I'm having. I have to keep adjusting the column browser (I move it down a lot more). When I move away from it and go back. it defaults to the view above. This is my preferred view so pretty annoying.
    Asdrubalbaconstang
  • Reply 65 of 95
    De-bloating it includes:  ability to "unhide" an app!!!

iTunes no longer handles Apps so you can unhide them.  The new App Store in iOS 11 doesn't have a way to unhide apps.  If you want to recall an app, you're screwed if you have iTunes 12.7 on your mac and iOS 11 on your iPhone and iPad.  Think maybe someone made a little Boo-Boo...

A suggestion for now:  keep a version of the old iTunes around if you need to manage apps.
    fastasleep
  • Reply 66 of 95
    ireland said:
    ireland said:
    I really want a dedicated Apple Podcasts app on macOS. De-bloat her.

Love how they begin to remove bloat and the first two comments are complaints. Ha.
    Why a separate app for podcasts? Seems like adding more apps to macOS which kind of has the opposite effect to debloating everything. You're just moving the problem from one place to another.
    That’s totally untrue. Separating Podcasts to its own app would be ideal for me as I never intersperse music listening with Podcast listening. The way the killed iPhoto and started fresh with Photos; now Photos is a much nicer app. I was a clean, lean, new app solely for Apple Podcasts. A ground up Podcasts app for Mac and the modern age. iTunes need only be a music and video store and jukebox.

I personally hope that they keep podcasts in iTunes.  I currently use iTunes for podcasts, and I doubt that if they developed a stand alone podcast app, that it would be available for me.  In other words, since I'm on Windows, I doubt that they would make a Windows version of a podcast app and I don't know any Windows podcast apps that are anywhere near as complete/good for content.
  • Reply 67 of 95
    I can't figure out why Apple simply deleted the possibility to manage apps in OSX. Removing it from iTunes, why not. Have the App Store manage all apps for consistency. But simply deleting it and providing no alternative? A totally useless move. Possibly they wanted to get rid of AppShopper?
    baconstang
  • Reply 68 of 95
    mdoss said:
    *SNIPPED FOR RELEVANCE*

on that line of thinking though I'd rather see Preview disappear and rolled into iBooks so that PDFs are read directly in iBooks but add Previews annotation functionality.
    I'd rather not. I use Preview to view files other than just PDFs. Your opinion is probably based purely on PDFs and nothing else.

Cheers
    While it's true that I was solely looking at PDFs the only other files that Preview can handle are images and macOS already has options that are better than that.

If all you want to do is simply view an image why not simply press "space" when the image is selected? Does the same thing as Preview without actually having to open any apps.

If however you want annotations and basic editing then that implies you are wanting to store that image and Photos is a much better option.

In my not so humble opinion Preview is a jack of all trades and a master of none whereas macOS already has master apps capable of doing what Preview does or at least has the potential to do what Preview does.

iBooks is great for managing books but why does it have to open PDFs in Preview when on iOS it simply reads them in-app? iBooks already has annotation tools but no ability to view PDFs.

Finder is a far quicker image viewer than Preview but is one not utilised as it should be.

In terms of image management nothing in macOS beats Photos and Photos has much more powerful editing and soon will have great annotation tools.

All of which reduces Preview's relevance. Sure it might force people to rethink how they do things but Apple has been doing that to us since day one.
  • Reply 69 of 95
    Does anyone know if this update does a clean up and deletes .ipa files that were just sitting on the computer with little to no use for most users?
  • Reply 70 of 95
    Wow... the new iTunes reset my Columns Browser height and as I wrote before, I wasn't able to change it. Hovering with the mouse over the bottom of the two and half lines of the list did not change the mouse cursor to indicate that it was possible to drag it down.
    It turns out that even if the mouse cursor was not changing its shape when hovering, if you click at the bottom of the column and drag it, then the cursor will show the icon and it will be possible to adjust the column height. After you adjust the column height to more than the minimum height, the next time you hover the mouse at its bottom it will change the mouse icon.
    This is confusing behavior because if you move the mouse around the sides of any column, it will immediately change its shape indicating that you can drag it to change the width.
    Thank you Apple for making me waste my time with this stupid bug.

And now the bad news is that when you exit iTunes and start it again, the Columns height will be back at the minimum...

I hate to waste my time with stupid bugs that are so easy to be detected but the programmers seem not to care about it.
    baconstang
  • Reply 71 of 95
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member
    I'll miss the added real estate you get when surfing even the ios app store on a 27" monitor.   

Can you still 'arrange icons' of the phone on the mac?   That is something much easier to do than by hand on the phone.
    I didn't find a way to do arrange apps - you can't see them at all. That is annoying.
    baconstang
  • Reply 72 of 95
    tundraboy said:
    For years and years we hear people bitching that iTunes is bloated.  Turns out, there's another cohort out there who will bitch when iTunes slims down.  Steve had been right all along to just design the product as Apple sees fit, and to hell with what all the moaners moan about because there will always be moaners no matter what Apple does.
    Moan!  ;)
  • Reply 73 of 95

Hmmm... Does this mean we no longer have the option of backing up iOS IPA files on our Macs for longevity? If so, that really sucks. I've relied on backups of IPA files several times through the years after Apple pulled apps from the store, or the updated version of an app is unsatisfactory. Will there still be a way to archive IPA files?
    Hmmm... Does this mean we no longer have the option of backing up iOS IPA files on our Macs for longevity? If so, that really sucks. I've relied on backups of IPA files several times through the years after Apple pulled apps from the store, or the updated version of an app is unsatisfactory. Will there still be a way to archive IPA files?
    Of course! Just find the app on your Mac and copy it to a different folder outside of iTunes. I've also kept for posterity one app which I know will never be updated because the developers got into a legal battle with each other, then sold it off to some app aggregator. Enjoy!
  • Reply 74 of 95
    mike1 said:

dewme said:
    This is a HUGE change with no prior warning. This basically neuters iTunes as a device management tool and basically turns it into a music player. At this point Apple should really just beef up the MiniPlayer to be the only UI and be done with the big UI version altogether. I guess I'm okay with it but this is a blindsided and unexpected move that's going to catch a lot of people off guard, especially current Sierra (not High Sierra) users. 
    How so? You can still manage your device via iTunes, you just don't shop for iOS apps on it. They've been deprecating the storing of iOS apps on the Mac for a while now, so there was most definitely some warning there. 
    Agreed. App management through iTunes was a bit annoying. When I connected my phone or iPad to update music, it would try to load or reload every app we ever downloaded. My wife uses apps that I don't and vice versa.
    You’re doing it wrong then, as it’s not supposed to work that way. How on earth are you getting your
    wife’s apps on your device?
    baconstang
  • Reply 75 of 95
    Well, it kind of screws up my custom ringtone development.  Now I've got to go through an elaborate connect a cable process to get them there.

Fn Apple ..
    Elaborate? You mean connecting one then dragging and dropping your ringtones?

And did they remove WI-FI Sync? 
  • Reply 76 of 95

JinTech said:
    gadgetdon said:
    So, no more creating your own ringtone and uploading it to your phone? There are still apps where you use iTunes to push documents to it, those are now toast. Not a fan.
    Except with macOS 10.13 and iOS 11 you will be able to use the Files app to "push" documents to your iOS devices. Isn't that a lot easier?
    It might .. but lets break the functionality for the current users for some indeterminate amount of time.  
    That functionality is not broken. 
  • Reply 77 of 95

mdoss said:
    *SNIPPED FOR RELEVANCE*

on that line of thinking though I'd rather see Preview disappear and rolled into iBooks so that PDFs are read directly in iBooks but add Previews annotation functionality.
    I'd rather not. I use Preview to view files other than just PDFs. Your opinion is probably based purely on PDFs and nothing else.

Cheers
    While it's true that I was solely looking at PDFs the only other files that Preview can handle are images and macOS already has options that are better than that.

If all you want to do is simply view an image why not simply press "space" when the image is selected? Does the same thing as Preview without actually having to open any apps.

If however you want annotations and basic editing then that implies you are wanting to store that image and Photos is a much better option.

In my not so humble opinion Preview is a jack of all trades and a master of none whereas macOS already has master apps capable of doing what Preview does or at least has the potential to do what Preview does.

iBooks is great for managing books but why does it have to open PDFs in Preview when on iOS it simply reads them in-app? iBooks already has annotation tools but no ability to view PDFs.

Finder is a far quicker image viewer than Preview but is one not utilised as it should be.

In terms of image management nothing in macOS beats Photos and Photos has much more powerful editing and soon will have great annotation tools.

All of which reduces Preview's relevance. Sure it might force people to rethink how they do things but Apple has been doing that to us since day one.
    I use Preview all the time for basic image editing/conversion/markup/Automator workflows/etc. instead of Photoshop.  I absolutely don’t want those kinds of documents in my Photos Library/Photostream. What a bizarre suggestion. 
  • Reply 78 of 95
    mercivic said:
    Does anyone know if this update does a clean up and deletes .ipa files that were just sitting on the computer with little to no use for most users?
    Apple’s support docs suggest all things should remain in your ITunes Media folder as it says you can drag ipa files directly to your device to reinstall them. 
  • Reply 79 of 95
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member

Fn Apple ..
    What would that process be now?  I don't see how you would get the phone to see the files.  I used Garageband to create ringtones in the past, but naturally that doesn't work now.
  • Reply 80 of 95
    Do you know which iOS Apps you bought. Are you sure they are still there or has apple with one strike removed every attempt to recover a older version or did it actully exist what Proof do you have non (your Purchase Library is not complete and who is going to stop apple editing it). Ohh you can re download them using the App store on your Phone. You can't even search the list. Tried scrolling 1000 apps and finding a previous Purchase. In the Past they just hid features now they just Amputated the head of the Tool that I use to make my App collection manageable. Whats next you don't need to Manage your Music your using Apple Music, why don't we just erase your 400 GB Music library. Just made a Backup of My Mobile Applications Folder on the Off chance that they decide they want to delete it. Thats 120GB on the off chance that they decide I no longer need it. WOW Thats why the new MacBook Pros have so small SSD Drives Lets make room by getting rid of iTunes. Great Job Apple /s

Should apple read Apple insider. I consider this a Breach of Faith. I was thinking about a early upgrade of my iPhone, guess whats not going to happen.
    baconstang