Face, the future: the new touch-less ID of iPhone X

Comments

• Reply 41 of 76
    holyone said:
    Hey Dan can I ask, level of security not with standing, do you really advocate a single form of authetification i.e face ID alone because that's some how the future even if face ID plus touch ID were possible ? Or just editorial bitch slapping Sammy and cohorts, and youre fellow pundits, coz you know that's fun to write ( and read ) and what did you make of Crage's demo ?
    "Hey Holyone can I ask, did you really advocate a single of biometric authentication i.e. Touch ID alone was perfection?"

Yeah funny you didn't have a problem w/ one biometric then but do now. Just admit it -- your real problem is with change to the unknown, not a single form of biometrics.

As for Craig's demo the biometric auth didn't fail. Go read the article, based on direct communication between Apple and tech writer David Pogue.
    edited September 2017 radarthekatcali
  • Reply 42 of 76
    No mention of

If it ain't broke don't fix it?

I am no fan of Facial ID. If I downgrade to an iPhone X then I'll have to revert to passcode only.

As a motorcyclist I have my phone paired to the Bike's Audio System. Like a Handsfree setup in a car, an incoming call can be answered by the press of one button on the LH Handlebar controls. My Helmet has speakers and a microphone for Inter-bike intercomm so I can use my phone on the move.

To make a call, I'll stop the bike take one glove off and either use the passcode or TouchID to get in the phone.
    Face ID is no use to me when on the move at all.
    Your post makes no sense. Nothing in the scenario you've presented makes sense. With Face ID, you can still accept a phone call without having to authenticate, just like Touch ID. With Face ID, you'll still have to pull over to remove an article of clothing, just like Touch ID.

And as a motorcyclist myself, there is no way in hell I would attempt to unlock my phone via ANY mechanism (Face ID, Touch ID, passcode) while riding, because that's just idiotic and dangerous. 

(Also note that you don't have to unlock even to initiate a call. I can do it via Siri from a locked device, which is how I do it while driving my car)
    edited September 2017 cali
  • Reply 43 of 76

SendMcjak said:
    wanabanana said:
    Wow, talk about a defensive, brown-nosed article. What will you write this time next year when Apple 'triumphantly' reintroduce TouchID under the screen? Can't wait to find out!
    I agree.  I can't help but think Apple really wanted (and still intends) to embed TouchID under the screen.  Just imagine the slide:

TouchID == 1 in 50,000
    FaceID == 1 in 1,000,000
    TouchID + FaceID == 1 in 50,000,000,000

"
    Apple is the first company to bring consumer 2-Factor, Biometric Authentication"
    According to John Gruber Apple is all in on Face ID replacing Touch ID. I will be very surprised if they re-introduce Touch ID. At least not the way it exists today. 
    Stop spreading that. There is no information or whatsoever he got, he just transmits his divinations... There is no need to re-post AI's own titles here, everyone reads them...

Lesse, Gruber has well placed insider contacts, including excecs. He emails about baseball with Schiller and has had him on his show several times. So whose bet shall we take -- Gruber's, or anonymous nobodies like us on a rumors site? Hmm...

Just watch what is in front of you. Speaking of discountinuation of Touch ID while Apple releases a brand new iPhone series with Touch ID makes no sense. No one has any substantial reason to declare Touch ID, Home button and bezels dead...
    edited September 2017
  • Reply 44 of 76
    For the first time since the original iPhone, I had some anxiety about the rumored switch to FaceID.  I really like Touch ID and there were so many unknowns as to how FaceID would work.  I really never had any doubts that it would work, but the home button was so integral to iOS that the loss of both TouchID and the home button really made me undecided about upgrading....UNTIL I saw it work.  The new UI is going to take a bit of adjustment but then we have been thru many mods to the iPhone UI over the years.  

All the negativity is just people's resistance to change.  Anyone that wants nothing to change needs to go back to the rotary wire line phone and paper notes.  Technology moves forward and for years I have told those resistant to such change that technology is like a steam roller.  You have 3 choices as you see it coming, 1: get out of the way and allow it to pass you by,  2: stand in the way and get crushed or  3: get on board, but you are NEVER going to stop it from its relentless forward progression.  

Was FaceID something that was absolutely needed, no, but Apple has always pulled its users forward and this is no exception.  Will I miss TouchID, yes....for about as long as it takes to setup FaceID.  

This will be the first time in 10 years where I will be upgrading both mine and my spouses iPhones at the same time.  We have been on a one new phone a year with a pass down since the very beginning.  This cycle, like the home button and TouchID was so ingrained that realizing that it made sense to move us both forward at the same time took some mental gymnastics similar to wrapping my head around no TouchID/home button.  

All the prognostications that Apple has made a mistake ditching TouchID/home button are misplaced and reactive emotional responses.  There is a lot of turmoil in our culture, our country and the world and I do understand that no one really wanted to have to make the mental leap to a new paradigm on the iPhone, but such is life and in a few months all this hand wringing and Apple is doomed talk will looks as antiquated and silly as when the cellular industry panned the original iPhone.
    Rayz2016radarthekatcharlesgres
  • Reply 45 of 76

Multi biometrics is what's next. Not uniquely Touch ID of Face ID, but both. There is no reason Apple don't implement Face ID into the 8 series. The bezels offer a lot of space to embed a lot of sensors.
    Not going to happen. That's just what those who fear change are clinging onto now. When Apple can get TrueDepth cheap enough to scale they will phase out Touch ID as you don't need both. You'll see. Then all this worry and panic will seem like a dream as it fades away....again.
    How do you know that me or anyone won't need both? Speak for yourself. There are a lot of meaningful anecdotes posted here favoring either Face ID or Touch ID. Let people post their anecdotes, don't restrain them by shouting you don't need this you don't need that...
    williamlondonavon b7
  • Reply 46 of 76
    holyone said:
    Hey Dan can I ask, level of security not with standing, do you really advocate a single form of authetification i.e face ID alone because that's some how the future even if face ID plus touch ID were possible ? Or just editorial bitch slapping Sammy and cohorts, and youre fellow pundits, coz you know that's fun to write ( and read ) and what did you make of Crage's demo ?
    "Hey Holyone can I ask, did you really advocate a single of biometric authentication i.e. Touch ID alone was perfection?"

Yeah funny you didn't have a problem w/ one biometric then but do now. Just admit it -- your real problem is with change to the unknown, not a single form of biometrics.

As for Craig's demo the biometric auth didn't fail. Go read the article, based on direct communication between Apple and tech writer David Pogue.
    Wasn't even talking to you but as the over zealous self appointed defender of Apple you had to butt in and blast the thread with your unending snit and personalized retorts, you are tiresome, I swear you make it seem like Apple is you're mother or something, get a grip buddy. When touch ID came out face ID wasn't ready to accompany it, any moron can understand that, are you and DED seriously suggesting that one biometric authentication method is better than two ? For a company so dedicated to privacy it seems like StrangeDays when they'd just throw touch ID away even if it was possible for the new method to have been added to the old one
    gatorguy
  • Reply 47 of 76
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    Heh. Never a dull moment with Apple.
  • Reply 48 of 76
    Your post makes no sense. Nothing in the scenario you've presented makes sense. With Face ID, you can still accept a phone call without having to authenticate, just like Touch ID. With Face ID, you'll still have to pull over to remove an article of clothing, just like Touch ID.

And as a motorcyclist myself, there is no way in hell I would attempt to unlock my phone via ANY mechanism (Face ID, Touch ID, passcode) while riding, because that's just idiotic and dangerous. 

(Also note that you don't have to unlock even to initiate a call. I can do it via Siri from a locked device, which is how I do it while driving my car)
    What I was trying to show was that with a Crash Helmet on and often a balaclava on underneath that using Face ID to unlock the phone is impossible unless I remove both the helmet and balaclava.
    With Touch ID, I can use a single finger to unlock the phone and make calls. My Crash Helmet has the capability to hear and talk while wearing it. Siri is pretty useless IMHO. Tried it on the bike but it failed miserably due to the background noise.
    I'd never try to initiate a call unless I was pulled over anyway. Most of the time when I get an incoming call, I say,"I'm riding. Can you hold on while I pull over and stop'.
    So if I do ever get a phone with Face ID, I'll more than likely never use it. Shame really as TouchID was so useful.

• Reply 49 of 76
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    I have many years working experience in silicon valley. Usually several companies will work on the same technology almost at the same time. Because the basic idea has been known through conferences and other channels.  What makes Apple stand out in the crowd is Apple always implements the idea perfectly. Some companies may bring out the product a little earlier. But it never catches fire. When Apple brings out the product, it becomes so popular. The other companies start COPYING Apple's implementation. They will proclaim that Apple never invented the idea to justify their copying, The examples are numerous. It happened in almost all Apple innovations. I think every Apple fans can easily name at least a dozen cases. 
    radarthekat
  • Reply 50 of 76
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    danvm said:
    Rayz2016 said:
    danvm said:
    When Samsung, HTC and others later tried to copy Apple's work, they introduced glaring security issues that did things like save an unencrypted photo of the user's fingerprints to the filesystem as world-readable (without setting any file permissions) so that any process could easily read and extract the data. 
    Interesting how you use the term "copy" with Samsung and HTC , but there is no mention on how Apple did the same with MS and Windows Hello, which has been part of the Surface since 2015.  

Yeah, but the Surface isn't a phone. I imagine it's hard getting that kind of tech behind a laptop screen, but getting it to work on a phone...
    I suppose it's hard, but technology moves always forward, and Apple had two years to improve and make it smaller.  But still a copy of what MS did.  There is a big chance that technology from PrimeSense, which Apple acquired a few years ago, is part of FaceID.  And they are the same people who worked with Xbox Kinect.  Could it be that patents from MS are part of FaceID?  We don't know, but it's possible...
    I think the big difference is FaceID is 3D.  Does Xbox Kinect use 3D?
  • Reply 51 of 76
    holyone said:
    lkrupp said:
    This is why I stick with Apple. They are not afraid to push the envelope, cross the line, move to where the puck will be. Apple could have played it safe and put TouchID on the back like Samsung. Instead they went nipples to the wind, balls to the wall, dragging users kicking and screaming with them. Will Face ID succeed wildly or fail miserably? Since it's Apple I believe it will be the former. And why do the lurkers come crawling out with every DED article? Because he throws it in their faces, that's why, and all they can do is claim he's an Apple brown nose. Re-read the section titled "Touch ID panic: This all happened before" as this is the crux of the article. Techies are always guffawing about luddites and those unwilling to adapt to technology when it's they themselves that are the cowards when change arrives. OMG, Apple did something different! Well they had better keep all my favorite ports and features because I refuse to consider change!
    Change for change sake isn't a good thing, there will always come a point wher further change serves only to degrade a user experience that has otherwise achieved perfection,

Face ID isn't change for change's sake, it's for the sake of getting a smaller device with the same sized or bigger screen.
    funy how the was no menstion of this during the key note. Apple always makes it a point to present not just a product or technology they demonstrate their take on it and why they chose to do it and the carefully narrated reasoning and thinking behind any major change they make that people and especially the press will question ? That is how they've always done things. The hole same size but bigger screen is just conjecture and has little to do with face ID which could just as easily be built into the 8's in their curent sizes, when was it that people went "smartphone makers we want biger screens on smaller phones, even if part of the screen will be cut for cameras and such" are the gains really that worth it ?if the plus is to big for you buy the smaller non plus model, Jony secrificed simmetry for this thing. And Considering all the trouble Apple went throught to get the X they didn't even officially say that this phone is in celebration of the original or that it was especially an anniversary model, merely a start of the new direction iPhone is going, BTW I like the X it looks better than I thought it would but the 8 is drop dead, it's unfortunate that the voice of Apple fans (who appreciate the Apple experience more than anything) is being drowned out by the new AAPL fans who are quick to talk money and technology with out any clear direction.
    macplusplus
  • Reply 52 of 76
    No mention of

If it ain't broke don't fix it?

I am no fan of Facial ID. If I downgrade to an iPhone X then I'll have to revert to passcode only.

As a motorcyclist I have my phone paired to the Bike's Audio System. Like a Handsfree setup in a car, an incoming call can be answered by the press of one button on the LH Handlebar controls. My Helmet has speakers and a microphone for Inter-bike intercomm so I can use my phone on the move.

To make a call, I'll stop the bike take one glove off and either use the passcode or TouchID to get in the phone.
    Face ID is no use to me when on the move at all.

First off, his post made perfect sense to someone with even middle school reading comprehension.  While the OP did include some commentary prior to the main complaint, it isn't relevant to that complaint.  The main complaint is not that making calls while riding will be harder (a cursory reread will no doubt reveal what you appear to have missed the first time, i.e. "I'll stop the bike"), it is that, using TouchID, at most he has stop, remove a glove, authenticate, then dial.  With FaceID, removal of the helmet, and potentially other items, before making that same call will be required.  Reversion to just the passcode will be required to maintain a near level of convenience, and even that is a downgrade from Touch ID, albeit slight.

So, "Face ID is no use to me when on the move at all" is a perfectly valid complaint, even if you don't have the same constraints the OP does.

To the OP I say, the iPhone 8 seems like a more likely upgrade path for you, if your "on the move" time is the majority of your time.  Entering a passcode isn't all that arduous; I always use a passcode to unlock my phone, never Touch ID.

• Reply 53 of 76

Multi biometrics is what's next. Not uniquely Touch ID of Face ID, but both. There is no reason Apple don't implement Face ID into the 8 series. The bezels offer a lot of space to embed a lot of sensors.
    Not going to happen. That's just what those who fear change are clinging onto now. When Apple can get TrueDepth cheap enough to scale they will phase out Touch ID as you don't need both. You'll see. Then all this worry and panic will seem like a dream as it fades away....again.
    How do you know that me or anyone won't need both? Speak for yourself. There are a lot of meaningful anecdotes posted here favoring either Face ID or Touch ID. Let people post their anecdotes, don't restrain them by shouting you don't need this you don't need that...
    Just when the stock is making sog happy he isn't blasting threads calling for Tim's head we have to constantly be berated by a highly subjective zealot, the worry and panic fades away coz the'll be nothing any one can really do coz as the motto goes " if you don't like it then fuck off" Apple has made great decisions in the past that people complained about but turned out to have been well informed but they've also made terrible ones which they appologised for. It be nice if the zelouts could keep that in mind befor furiously slamming their poor keyboards.  
  • Reply 54 of 76
    dtidmore said:
    For the first time since the original iPhone, I had some anxiety about the rumored switch to FaceID.  I really like Touch ID and there were so many unknowns as to how FaceID would work.  I really never had any doubts that it would work, but the home button was so integral to iOS that the loss of both TouchID and the home button really made me undecided about upgrading....UNTIL I saw it work.  The new UI is going to take a bit of adjustment but then we have been thru many mods to the iPhone UI over the years.  

All the negativity is just people's resistance to change.  Anyone that wants nothing to change needs to go back to the rotary wire line phone and paper notes.  Technology moves forward and for years I have told those resistant to such change that technology is like a steam roller.  You have 3 choices as you see it coming, 1: get out of the way and allow it to pass you by,  2: stand in the way and get crushed or  3: get on board, but you are NEVER going to stop it from its relentless forward progression.  

Was FaceID something that was absolutely needed, no, but Apple has always pulled its users forward and this is no exception.  Will I miss TouchID, yes....for about as long as it takes to setup FaceID.  

This will be the first time in 10 years where I will be upgrading both mine and my spouses iPhones at the same time.  We have been on a one new phone a year with a pass down since the very beginning.  This cycle, like the home button and TouchID was so ingrained that realizing that it made sense to move us both forward at the same time took some mental gymnastics similar to wrapping my head around no TouchID/home button.  

All the prognostications that Apple has made a mistake ditching TouchID/home button are misplaced and reactive emotional responses.  There is a lot of turmoil in our culture, our country and the world and I do understand that no one really wanted to have to make the mental leap to a new paradigm on the iPhone, but such is life and in a few months all this hand wringing and Apple is doomed talk will looks as antiquated and silly as when the cellular industry panned the original iPhone.
    Great points well made if a bit supremacist, but the cylidrical Mac was not only technological progress it was "can't innovate my ass" progress, and no one even questioned that
  • Reply 55 of 76
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Wow, talk about a defensive, brown-nosed article. What will you write this time next year when Apple 'triumphantly' reintroduce TouchID under the screen? Can't wait to find out!
    iKnockoff user detected!!

it amazes me how iPhoney users find a way to bitch at everything. If Apple reintroduced TouchID, SO WHAT?? You're literally bitching that Apple will make the iPhone experience better for some users?

iPhoney users are bitching about Apple upgrading HD content to 4k free of charge twisting the act into a negative.

I couldn't  make such stupidity up.....
    radarthekat
  • Reply 56 of 76
    danvmdanvm Posts: 1,409member
    tmay said:
    danvm said:
    Rayz2016 said:
    danvm said:
    When Samsung, HTC and others later tried to copy Apple's work, they introduced glaring security issues that did things like save an unencrypted photo of the user's fingerprints to the filesystem as world-readable (without setting any file permissions) so that any process could easily read and extract the data. 
    Interesting how you use the term "copy" with Samsung and HTC , but there is no mention on how Apple did the same with MS and Windows Hello, which has been part of the Surface since 2015.  

Yeah, but the Surface isn't a phone. I imagine it's hard getting that kind of tech behind a laptop screen, but getting it to work on a phone...
    I suppose it's hard, but technology moves always forward, and Apple had two years to improve and make it smaller.  But still a copy of what MS did.  There is a big chance that technology from PrimeSense, which Apple acquired a few years ago, is part of FaceID.  And they are the same people who worked with Xbox Kinect.  Could it be that patents from MS are part of FaceID?  We don't know, but it's possible...
    Danvm,

I'd be inclined to agree with you on all points that Apple copied MS, had Apple not purchased Primesense, which it acknowledged publicly in November, 2013 and if MS was actually in the business of building mobile devices that actually delivered the technology that you state Apple "copied"
    If in the article use the term "copy" when they mention that Samsung and HTC tried to improve their fingerprint technology, I suppose that it should apply to Apple, considering they acquire the same company MS used to create their technology since 2010 with the Kinect for Xbox 360.  

Under your criteria, it doesn't since MS didn't acquire the company and don't have a mobile device with the technology.  If in the future Apple add FaceID to iMac and Macbooks, would you think Apple is copying MS, since they put the technology first in the Surface line of devices?  

How about you acknowledging that Apple has in fact the resources to create Face ID, even if built on at least some Primesense technology?

I get that you feel entitled to misuse context when you speak of "copying", and not seeing your Animoji face, I can only guess that you are very bitter about that. 
    I know that Apple has the resources to create FaceID, same as MS with Windows Hello.  But both decided to use the technology from Primesense, MS first, and later Apple.   

• Reply 57 of 76
    SendMcjak said:
    wanabanana said:
    I agree.  I can't help but think Apple really wanted (and still intends) to embed TouchID under the screen.  Just imagine the slide:

TouchID == 1 in 50,000
    FaceID == 1 in 1,000,000
    TouchID + FaceID == 1 in 50,000,000,000

"
    Apple is the first company to bring consumer 2-Factor, Biometric Authentication"
    According to John Gruber (who was at the Apple Event), all indications are that that's incorrect

edited September 2017
  • Reply 58 of 76
    tzeshan said:
    I have many years working experience in silicon valley. Usually several companies will work on the same technology almost at the same time. Because the basic idea has been known through conferences and other channels.  What makes Apple stand out in the crowd is Apple always implements the idea perfectly. Some companies may bring out the product a little earlier. But it never catches fire. When Apple brings out the product, it becomes so popular. The other companies start COPYING Apple's implementation. They will proclaim that Apple never invented the idea to justify their copying, The examples are numerous. It happened in almost all Apple innovations. I think every Apple fans can easily name at least a dozen cases. 
    In the Valley they call that Apple Envy
  • Reply 59 of 76
    danvmdanvm Posts: 1,409member
    tzeshan said:
    danvm said:
    Rayz2016 said:
    danvm said:

I think the big difference is FaceID is 3D.  Does Xbox Kinect use 3D?
    Yes, Kinect is a 3D scanner,

https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/hardware/3d-print/scanning-with-kinect
  • Reply 60 of 76
    GG1GG1 Posts: 483member
    tzeshan said:
    And I think this FaceID implementation will be very difficult to copy in a phone for at least a few years. The A11 chip, with its dedicated hardware circuitry and neural engine, is the game-changer. The scanning hardware (flood illuminator, dot projector, etc.) may be more compact right now for iPhone use, but others will catch up. It's the A11 (and iOS) that will give FaceID a healthy lead.

I can't wait for a deep technical dive into the A11 (that's coming, right, DED?). It just seems like Apple's lead on all the other ARM designs continues to increase with each iteration.

What's next, Apple? Your own modem processor? I wouldn't be surprised.