Up to 143M US consumers exposed in Equifax hack, could impact iPhone buyers

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 85
    linkmanlinkman Posts: 1,035member
    gatorguy said:
    danny602 said:
    I'm in no hurry to give anymore confidential information to equifax, is anyone else? I purchased my iPhone outright, and signed up with T-mobile as my carrier, I was fed up with AT&T and their poor service and high prices, I wonder if I'm still at risk because of this security breach?
    Yes, Equifax almost certainly knows (and sells access to) your credit card and banking information, your entire employment history, what you currently earn, the size of your home and it's value, what vehicles you own, any other properties you might have,  how many in your family and extended family along with names and addresses and ages, what schools you attended, SS number, mother and father's names (including the common security questions answered like maiden and middle names),  and a plethora of other detailed personal information ranging from social and professional organizations, religious affiliation and reportedly even sexual persuasion.
    Equifax can't legally obtain some of this information without your consent. For example: your current earnings. From the website you linked it states "With consumer consent, income and employment verifications from Equifax are sourced from The Work Number®." Sexual persuasion? How could they find out that information reliably?
  • Reply 82 of 85

I'm not a security expert, but I'm positive the fact that its harder to purchase the new iPhone is seen as a "benefit" to the Equifax victim, rather than another "hassle".

If not, then I'd suggest you get your priorities straightened.

• Reply 83 of 85
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    linkman said:
    gatorguy said:
    danny602 said:
    I'm in no hurry to give anymore confidential information to equifax, is anyone else? I purchased my iPhone outright, and signed up with T-mobile as my carrier, I was fed up with AT&T and their poor service and high prices, I wonder if I'm still at risk because of this security breach?
    Yes, Equifax almost certainly knows (and sells access to) your credit card and banking information, your entire employment history, what you currently earn, the size of your home and it's value, what vehicles you own, any other properties you might have,  how many in your family and extended family along with names and addresses and ages, what schools you attended, SS number, mother and father's names (including the common security questions answered like maiden and middle names),  and a plethora of other detailed personal information ranging from social and professional organizations, religious affiliation and reportedly even sexual persuasion.
    Equifax can't legally obtain some of this information without your consent. For example: your current earnings. From the website you linked it states "With consumer consent, income and employment verifications from Equifax are sourced from The Work Number®." Sexual persuasion? How could they find out that information reliably?
    You consented to it every time you applied for credit, opened a bank account, hired a broker, move to a new apartment, applied for a job,, got a driver's license...
    When I get home I'll post a link for you from a government study in fact I believe it was a congressional inquiry, just three or four years ago that revealed just how much companies like Experian know about you. And yes sexual persuasion was one of those things
  • Reply 84 of 85
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    @linkman ;
    As promised, link to FTC investigation on data brokers, what they do, what they have and how they acquire it. 
    https://www.ftc.gov/system/files/documents/reports/data-brokers-call-transparency-accountability-report-federal-trade-commission-may-2014/140527databrokerreport.pdf
    and
    https://www.commerce.senate.gov/public/_cache/files/0d2b3642-6221-4888-a631-08f2f255b577/AE5D72CBE7F44F5BFC846BECE22C875B.12.18.13-senate-commerce-committee-report-on-data-broker-industry.pdf

Section B1 from the first link listing the data Experion and others collect will be an eye-opener.

Anyone who thinks Google or any other on-line search provider has anywhere near the breadth of detailed very personal information collected from all facets of your life that data brokers have for sale is living in fantasy. Search providers need only the well-ordered and vetted anonymized baskets of individuals to meet marketing needs. Data brokers exist for an entirely different purpose, filling requests for highly personal financial and medical details per a pricelist.

...and for those with no patience to read thru lengthy government reports you might find this summation much more tolerable. IMHO anyone who DOESN'T take the time to read as least this last link really has no concern for their personal privacy to begin with. Search providers and ads aren't the real enemy and once you do even the tiniest bit of research it will begin to sink in that they want you to stay focused on targeted ads so that you don't pay attention to the brokers shadow over in the corner wearing a trench-coat filed with personal data for sale.  
    https://www.propublica.org/article/everything-we-know-about-what-data-brokers-know-about-you