Bluetooth & Wi-Fi can't be fully disabled via iOS 11 Control Center, Apple says

Comments

• Reply 21 of 42
    sdw2001 said:
    Utterly stupid.  Why even have a control then?  Also, thanks for burying the auto brightness toggle under Accessibility instead of in Display and Brightness.  Zero sense.  Had to look that up today.  
    I however agree that the auto brightness is weird because logically you would go to Display and Brightness setting for change that. Unless Apple think that we shouldn't turn it off at all as it's default on, but leave the option anyway for "special" cases that's why it's in Accessibility.
    anton zuykov
  • Reply 22 of 42
    I’ve just tested it, and it’s true. Airplay continues to work even when Wi-Fi is toggled off in Control Center. However, Wi-Fi calling on the iPhone doesn’t work and neither does AirPrint. Handoff, though, works fine on the Mac with both Wi-Fi and Bluetooth disabled on the iPhone. 

I guess people are so dumb that Apple decided to enable AirPlay, Apple Watch sync, and Continuity in all cases as they got tired of idiots calling them all the time for support after they turn off Wi-Wi and/or Bluetooth. 
    edited September 2017 baconstangtokyojimuwatto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 42
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,931member
    kevin kee said:
    sdw2001 said:
    Utterly stupid.  Why even have a control then?  Also, thanks for burying the auto brightness toggle under Accessibility instead of in Display and Brightness.  Zero sense.  Had to look that up today.  
    I however agree that the auto brightness is weird because logically you would go to Display and Brightness setting for change that. Unless Apple think that we shouldn't turn it off at all as it's default on, but leave the option anyway for "special" cases that's why it's in Accessibility.
    That sounds like what they did with OS X when they buried some of the track pad controls under accessibility rather than under track pad where every normal person would look for them.
    pscooter63
  • Reply 24 of 42
    So not to be Mr. Apple supporter here, but I feel this actually makes sense, especially if you’ve dealt with people before on these issues. Let me explain:

What they are doing is separating the desired action from the technical implementation. For instance, instead of toggling the WiFi antenna off, what you really want to do is disconnect from the WiFi network. However, WiFi is used for more than just network connectivity.  It’s now used for all those other things too like AirPlay, Continuity, AirDrop... these use point to point WiFi instead. Apple is using the control center to control the most common desired function and allow your to configure those other features elsewhere since not everyone realizes that they use WiFi.

the same goes with Bluetooth. Sure Apple Watch and Apple Pencil may use Bluetooth, but they use it in a way that’s transparent to the user. They probably receive a lot of support emails about why this or that’s not working. If there’s not a compelling reason to turn the Bluetooth off completely, just perform the action you desire.

The automatic switching is to prevent users from forgetting they had turned things off. Again, I can see people being frustrated that something’s not working because they forgot to turn it back on.

These settings are convenient and do what most people would expect. For techies that want to shut the radio completely down, they can do that to.
    pscooter63cecil444Rayz2016bestkeptsecretanton zuykov
  • Reply 25 of 42
    Easy workaround : press the airplane mode icon in control center instead if u wanna really turn them off
    cecil444waverboyRayz2016ben20
  • Reply 26 of 42
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    g000 said:
    Easy workaround : press the airplane mode icon in control center instead if u wanna really turn them off
    I was just about to ask if that would work. 
  • Reply 27 of 42
    fred1fred1 Posts: 1,112member
    london11 said:
    I remember reporting this as a bug - still makes no sense at all. You now have to go in the settings to switch off wifi.
    I agree with you.  I thought it was a bug or a problem with my phone.  I recently had the problem in iOS10  that the WiFi would stay on even after I had turned it off and finally solved it by resetting the network settings.  So I tried this again today after "upgrading" to iOS11 and seeing that even when I turn off WiFi from the Control Panel when I turn my phone on again, it shows WiFi on, even though it isn't.  Or is it?  I'm confused!

This is nuts!  Why have a setting in the Control Panel that doesn't do what it says?  It's only for turning on WiFi, but not for turning it off?  I always turn off WiFi when I'm not using it to save battery life.  I have no desire to go back to a procedure from three years ago that requires me to go into the Settings to turn off WiFi.  

Way to revoke nice features, Apple!  At least give us the choice!  

Now I see why I can't access any of the Apple support communities.  Everyone is scrambling to see why things are so strange.
    edited September 2017
  • Reply 28 of 42
    g000 said:
    And I can still make and receive calls?  I don't think so.

My question is: if I have WiFi "turned off" from the Control Panel, is the signal still on, and using battery life?
  • Reply 29 of 42
    kevin kee said:
    london11 said:
    I remember reporting this as a bug - still makes no sense at all. You now have to go in the settings to switch off wifi.
    But the "wifi" was off, what's the nitpicking for?
    It isn’t “off”, it’s just temporarily disabled only for that specific wifi connection. And leaving your wifi on when you are not connected to a known network is a big no-no for security reasons right?
  • Reply 30 of 42
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    Bluetooth on my 5S for what ever reason triggers very rapid battery drain. This is all a bit of a pain in the ass. So I'm not upgrading to iOS 11 on the 5S. I barely use any of the bells and whistles on iOS anyway, also I'm upgrading to an 8 Plus once it becomes available in my part of the world. So I'll hold off for now.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 42
    mike1 said:
    "After toggling off Wi-Fi, network auto-join is disabled as well until Wi-Fi is manually restarted, a person walks or drives to a new place, or it's 5 a.m. local time. Bluetooth accessory connections will resume under the same circumstances, minus the location trigger."

Really?! This sounds incredibly silly and certainly makes it less convenient. If I'm toggling off WiFi, it's because I don't want it on. Period. At least three use cases that affect me personally...

1. I'm driving and the phone wants to connect to some public wifi signal that I may have used in the past. But now, all it will do is slow down the phone because it's not connecting to LTE. On a typical commute, I may pass through dozens of wifi networks.

2. I'm running errands and don't want my phone to connect to every public or store wifi signal I may pass through. Most of them suck and I prefer to use my phone data.

3. I do not connect to my company's wifi network with my phone as they block most non-work related sites. No personal e-mail, no score updates etc. So, I again turn off the wifi. Don't want it turning on again when I go into a different building.

Shouldn't have to go into Settings to turn it off thereby negating the benefit of Control Center. Not like Apple to make things less convenient.
    I agree there should be an off-means-off mode, but this actually suits my personal use-case scenario. I use WiFi at home but when I leave for work, I switch it off to use 4G to prevent connecting to work's slow network and any "free" wifi hotspots. When I come home I switch wi-fi on again, I've noticed the iPhone now does this automatically for me :smile: 
  • Reply 32 of 42
    I've been buying iPhones yearly since like 7 years and never turned off WiFi or Bluetooth off to conserve battery (3G, 4G etc will hurt the batter though) so I don't see an issue here. If you don't have other Apple products then you can switch BT and WiFi off from the settings app
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 42
    dysamoria said:
    This is idiotic. Why have them in the control center at all? The primary use for these is to conserve battery. I don't want to waste battery keeping a Bluetooth radio on when I rarely use Bluetooth. I also don't want my Apple Pencil to wake and connect to my iPad when it gets bumped, wasting its battery.
    If Bluetooth isn’t connected to anything is it wasting battery? Seems to me people shut all this stuff off thinking they’re conserving battery when it’s not something that’s really draining the battery in the first place.
  • Reply 34 of 42
    fred1 said:
    g000 said:

My question is: if I have WiFi "turned off" from the Control Panel, is the signal still on, and using battery life?
    fred1 said:
    g000 said:

How much battery is used up by WiFi and Bluetooth when they’re not connected to anything? Is this a case where people think turning this stuff off saves battery life when in fact they’re not really causing battery drain in the first place?
  • Reply 35 of 42
    fred1 said:
    g000 said:

fred1 said:
    g000 said:

How much battery is used up by WiFi and Bluetooth when they’re not connected to anything? Is this a case where people think turning this stuff off saves battery life when in fact they’re not really causing battery drain in the first place?
    Do they really not use any battery?  Don't they send out a signal continuously, in order to get connected?  I'm asking, I don't know.   (Inquiring minds want to know.)
  • Reply 36 of 42
    RacerhomieXRacerhomieX Posts: 95unconfirmed, member
    One can just ask Siri to disable WiFi or BT. I do it all the time.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 37 of 42
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    "Contrary to intuition" says it all. Horrific UI/UX.

Is it just me, or has Apple been increasingly headed towards 'dancing paperclip' territory?
    edited September 2017 kitu
  • Reply 38 of 42
    pro_libertatepro_libertate Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    I too think this is dumb. If I am disabling connection options I want them completly off. Apple, very draconian of you to put this in iOS.

You could at the very least offer a toggle in the setiings allowing the option of fully disabling Wi-Fi and Bluetooth from the control center. 

Also, I'm not happy about the Brightness level being moved. I personaly use the feature frequently. 

I actualy cancelled my upgrade to iPhone 8 due to the Wi-Fi Bluetooth controll center change. I will be taking a look at the New Google Pixel and see how it is. 
  • Reply 39 of 42
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,286member
    apple2c said:
    Mike, re-read the article please!  Toggling WiFi turns OFF auto-join!  Only AirDrop, Continuity, and a couple of Apple accessories remain connected.  Doesn't that cover all three "horrendous" cases you brought up?!!

"After toggling off Wi-Fi, network auto-join is disabled as well until Wi-Fi is manually restarted, a person walks or drives to a new place, or it's 5 a.m. local time. Bluetooth accessory connections will resume under the same circumstances, minus the location trigger."
    The quote proves my point... A person walks or drives to a new place,...

So, I turn off wifi while I'm out and about and every time I head into a new network, that I maybe have previously used, it turns back on. 
  • Reply 40 of 42
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,286member
    g000 said:
    Airplane mode turns off the cellular as well.