iPhone 8 Plus best performing smartphone camera ever, iPhone X expected to be better

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 66
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,342member
    Now this is something I agree with, as well as Gruber's latest comment on dxomark.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/johnpaczkowski/iphone-portrait-lighting?utm_term=.yq9kYLYy2#.paNDo4om1

• Reply 62 of 66
    avon b7 said:
    avon b7 said:
    sog35 said:
    Good bye Android.

The truth is the only competition the iPhone 8 has is the iPhone X.

If the iPhone 6 series was fastest and the iPhone 7 series was fastest and the iPhone 8 series is fastest but Android phones - including some very expensive ones - still shift in enough numbers to leave Apple's numbers in the dust, why is it goodbye Android?

Something seems to be off in your reasoning or are saying this year will be the year to buck that trend?

What will you say if this time next year if Android is still leaving Apple in the dust?

There are only 10 reasons to be in business: the first is to make a profit the other 9 don't count. I will say market share is unimportant if that marketshare doesn't generate profits. Android (dozens of manufacturers) makes very little profit, while iPhone (a single manufacturer) generates ~90% of industry profits. The dust you see is Apple positioning a dozen or so Android manufacturers for bankruptcy. HTC just negotiated a Billion $$ bail out from Google and passed it off as a joint partnership. Others to follow, but there are no more white knights.

In the case of higher tier manufacturers, there is competition from and to Apple and latest figures show decline in the amount of industry profits going Apple's way. So who is pulling profits away from who?
    I would like to see data to backup this.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 63 of 66
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    kevin kee said:
    avon b7 said:
    avon b7 said:
    sog35 said:
    Good bye Android.

If the iPhone 6 series was fastest and the iPhone 7 series was fastest and the iPhone 8 series is fastest but Android phones - including some very expensive ones - still shift in enough numbers to leave Apple's numbers in the dust, why is it goodbye Android?

Something seems to be off in your reasoning or are saying this year will be the year to buck that trend?

What will you say if this time next year if Android is still leaving Apple in the dust?

There are only 10 reasons to be in business: the first is to make a profit the other 9 don't count. I will say market share is unimportant if that marketshare doesn't generate profits. Android (dozens of manufacturers) makes very little profit, while iPhone (a single manufacturer) generates ~90% of industry profits. The dust you see is Apple positioning a dozen or so Android manufacturers for bankruptcy. HTC just negotiated a Billion $$ bail out from Google and passed it off as a joint partnership. Others to follow, but there are no more white knights.

In the case of higher tier manufacturers, there is competition from and to Apple and latest figures show decline in the amount of industry profits going Apple's way. So who is pulling profits away from who?
    The numbers fluctuate from quarter to quarter. At various times over the past several months or so Apple's profit share has been estimated at 78% in one quarter, but 88% and 83% in a couple of others.

Too, when you see numbers like that bandied about it helps greatly to read the "fine print" to understand what the reports actually say. In the case of Canaccord specifically, who is the industry analytics firm everyone here remembers claiming Apple gets 93% of the smartphone industry profits (and repeats as tho it's an unchanging figure), they actually said no such thing in the first place. As even PED has rightly pointed out on occasion or two, and bigger Apple fans in the blogosphere than he are rare, the profits realized by Android manufacturers are not as slim and dire as a forum synopsis article might imply since the Canaccord report author looks at only the eight largest manufacturers. In PED's words "There are hundreds of companies making Android phones, and many of them are doing just fine."
    edited September 2017
  • Reply 64 of 66
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,696member
    kevin kee said:
    avon b7 said:
    avon b7 said:
    sog35 said:
    Good bye Android.

Global figures for 2017 obviously won't be available until early next year. In March this year, this was reported for global profits for 2016:

http://m.koreaherald.com/view.php?ud=20170308000345#cb

A considerable drop from the 90% plus range reported previously.

Samsung won't have the Note 7 fiasco hanging around its neck for 2017 and Huawei has been pushing more and more of its mid to high end phones throughout 2017 (far more than it did for 2016). I mention these two because they can not only make profitable phones but ship them in huge numbers:

www.counterpointresearch.com/huawei-overtakes-apple-as-worlds-second-biggest-smartphone-maker/

Q1-17 saw a contraction in Apple's premium segment while affordable premium (somewhere Apple wasn't really present) literally went through the roof:

https://www.counterpointresearch.com/affordable-premium-smartphones-grew-49-annually-in-q1-2017/

If Q1 set a trend for the year (I don't know as I haven't seen any figures since then) my guess is that Apple is seeing far more competition than in 2016.

• Reply 65 of 66
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,342member
    Here's a review by a photographer, of the iPhone 8;

http://austinmann.com/trek/iphone-8-camera-review-india

Better way to determine IQ than dxomark.

Notable new features are Studio Light, HDR Portraits, and slow sync flash.
    edited September 2017