Unsupported iTunes 12.6.3 enterprise version allows for app management, installation

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 40
    macplusplusmacplusplus Posts: 2,112member
    I suggest not to replace iTunes 12.7 with any corporate version or whatsoever. If they say the corporate version is not supported they mean it. Obviously it is an interim solution. iOS has introduced better app management such as app purge/reload, we don't need iTunes anymore. In such rare instances as installing an obsolete app there is Apple Configurator. Removing iTunes 12.7 may create more problems than that may resolve.
    edited October 2017 jahblade
  • Reply 22 of 40
    jahbladejahblade Posts: 159member
     have yet to download and install High Sierra. I have some apps that aren't supported yet and some that will not work. Here's a link to what does and doesn't work. There's also other sites that maybe list more.

https://blog.macsales.com/42416-apps-with-known-high-sierra-compatibility-issues

p.s. Btw, what's the big reason to switch right away to High Sierra.
    Going forward, I will take "wait & see approach". And make sure the apps that are important to me is compatible. 
  • Reply 23 of 40
    macplusplusmacplusplus Posts: 2,112member
    jahblade said:
    My DRM tool stop working, when I upgraded to macOS High Sierra. I tried downgrading iTunes "not permitted". Developer response "The High Sierra OS is a big challenge to the entire DRM removal industry, Apple release this operating system to prevent all the third party software to remove DRM from iTunes. We will try our best to find a good solution as soon as possible." I wonder if this can be a solution?

I have yet to download and install High Sierra. I have some apps that aren't supported yet and some that will not work. Here's a link to what does and doesn't work. There's also other sites that maybe list more.

https://blog.macsales.com/42416-apps-with-known-high-sierra-compatibility-issues

APFS on SSD Macs, H.265 native support (HEVC, HEIF), Metal 2, better Photos, better Siri... The rest can be found on the High Sierra page of the Mac AppStore.
  • Reply 24 of 40
    jahblade said:
    My DRM tool stop working, when I upgraded to macOS High Sierra. I tried downgrading iTunes "not permitted". Developer response "The High Sierra OS is a big challenge to the entire DRM removal industry, Apple release this operating system to prevent all the third party software to remove DRM from iTunes. We will try our best to find a good solution as soon as possible." I wonder if this can be a solution?

I have yet to download and install High Sierra. I have some apps that aren't supported yet and some that will not work. Here's a link to what does and doesn't work. There's also other sites that maybe list more.

APFS on SSD Macs, H.265 native support (HEVC, HEIF), Metal 2, better Photos, better Siri... The rest can be found on the High Sierra page of the Mac AppStore.
    Yes, APFS if on an SSD but no such luck with it working with my 2015 27"with 32GB RAM 3TB Fusion iMac. As you can see, it's no option for me to go to an SSD with these specs. Otherwise, what apps I use now, I can wait as they are slowly being updated to be compatible with High Sierra. Btw, one other Apple device I haven't updated is my Apple Watch Series 2 because of the music library issue.

http://appleinsider.com/articles/17/09/19/watchos-4-no-longer-lets-you-browse-iphone-music-library-on-your-apple-watch

p.s. I did complain to Apple about this and have yet to hear back from them.
  • Reply 25 of 40
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member

You can install this version of iTunes 12.6.3 but not over previously installed version 12.7 directly. You will be asked to 'download' the new version once installed.
    I had to downgrade from 12.7 to 12.6 and then install 12.6.3. You can not use Time Machine to go back. While instructions on how to 'downgrade iTunes' are straightforward, it requires Terminal and sudo commands to delete the iTunes app, then replacing the iTunes Library.itl file from a previous version .. then installing 12.6.3  - easy but not something most will likely feel comfortable doing. I have quite a few older iPads around our household so having app management in iTunes remains useful for me.

I just ended up creating a folder in the application folder for the old ITunes app and also created backups of the itune database file since 10.7 modifies it. I now have to run two versions on the computer since the wife updated to iPhone 8 and it only works with 10.7. I not actual use time machines app, I just went to my time machine external backup drive and dragged copied the old iTunes and library files over.
    edited October 2017 jahblade
  • Reply 26 of 40
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    I dunno... Seems parents might be interested in this also for keeping tabs on their kids.
  • Reply 27 of 40
    jahblade said:
    Soli said:

You can install this version of iTunes 12.6.3 but not over previously installed version 12.7 directly. You will be asked to 'download' the new version once installed.
    I had to downgrade from 12.7 to 12.6 and then install 12.6.3. You can not use Time Machine to go back. While instructions on how to 'downgrade iTunes' are straightforward, it requires Terminal and sudo commands to delete the iTunes app, then replacing the iTunes Library.itl file from a previous version .. then installing 12.6.3  - easy but not something most will likely feel comfortable doing. I have quite a few older iPads around our household so having app management in iTunes remains useful for me.
    I think this should work:
    cd /Applications/
    sudo rm -rf iTunes.app/
    I am running macOS High Sierra. I tried the mention process to downgrade iTunes, results "not permitted".
    Here's a more up-to-date and easier way to delete iTunes.

https://www.imobie.com/support/how-to-uninstall-and-reinstall-itunes-on-mac.htm

p.s. I liked the bloated mess. Seriously.
    I am not in front of my mac, but I do not believe this will work removing iTunes 10.7. it is not matter of it being locked, the error message says the app is part of the systems and can not be moved or deleted. This only occurred once 10.7 was install I had 10.6.3 install and it would let me move and change it location 10.7 does not let you modify it. 
  • Reply 28 of 40
    jahblade said:
    Soli said:

I think this should work:
    cd /Applications/
    sudo rm -rf iTunes.app/
    I am running macOS High Sierra. I tried the mention process to downgrade iTunes, results "not permitted".
    Here's a more up-to-date and easier way to delete iTunes.

https://www.imobie.com/support/how-to-uninstall-and-reinstall-itunes-on-mac.htm

p.s. I liked the bloated mess. Seriously.
    I am not in front of my mac, but I do not believe this will work removing iTunes 10.7. it is not matter of it being locked, the error message says the app is part of the systems and can not be moved or deleted. This only occurred once 10.7 was install I had 10.6.3 install and it would let me move and change it location 10.7 does not let you modify it. 
    I have not had that error by following the directions from that link. Then again I haven't upgraded to High Sierra from Sierra so It might not work. Sierra does for me.
  • Reply 29 of 40
    jpellinojpellino Posts: 700member
    Update:  Yeah, no.  
    Install 12.6.3 ... check.  
    Launch... check... 
    Library?  Nope.  

• Reply 30 of 40
    jpellino said:
    Launch... check... 
    Library?  Nope.  

I hope you have time machine or some other backup since 10.7 creates a new version of the file, if you do not have the 10.6 version of the file there is no going back and having everything work correctly.
  • Reply 31 of 40
    jpellino said:
    Launch... check... 
    Library?  Nope.  

About that "iTunes Library.itl" file. Here's a better link that includes that part if the first link didn't work. Ignore the version history of iTunes in that article. Also, I added the link to disabling SIP.

http://www.tune4mac.com/downgrade-to-itunes-12.5.html

http://www.tune4mac.com/fix-the-incompatible-issue-with-itunes-12.6.html
  • Reply 32 of 40
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,420member
    maestro64 said:
    Apple, not does not allow you to delete certain apps like ITunes. I tried to delete 10.7 and you get an error saying it is part of the operating system is can not be delete. Even if I tried to overwrite 10.7 with the older 10.6.3 from a time machine backup it would not allow it. so I now have two version on my computer since I do not like the fact I can not back load apps from my computer and can only download directly to the IOS device, I have an old Ipad which I use and there are apps on the app store which do not support the ipad and ios 9. This is just another attempt of Apple to kill off older products.
    You can easily remove it with Terminal. 

sudo rm -rf iTunes.app/*

then replace it and your library file with the previous version if you opened 12.7 at all. 

They protect essential apps apps because idiots do all kinds of shit with their Macs like drag their apps out to the Desktop or accidentally delete stuff and what not. 
  • Reply 33 of 40
    I suggest not to replace iTunes 12.7 with any corporate version or whatsoever. If they say the corporate version is not supported they mean it. Obviously it is an interim solution. iOS has introduced better app management such as app purge/reload, we don't need iTunes anymore. In such rare instances as installing an obsolete app there is Apple Configurator. Removing iTunes 12.7 may create more problems than that may resolve.
    Ooh, very scary. Any evidence to support this FUD?
    jahbladebaconstang
  • Reply 34 of 40

jpellino said:
    Launch... check... 
    Library?  Nope.  

You need to replace it with your backup of your 10.6.2 library. Or, look in the “Previous iTunes Libraries” folder in your iTunes folder to see if it created one for you when you updated. 
    jahblade
  • Reply 35 of 40
    Soli said:
    benji888 said:
    lkrupp said:
    Previously on “As the Apple Turns”

“iTunes is a bloated mess. It’s disgusting, unusable. Get rid of the bloat, remove features, split it up into multiple apps!”

On this episode of “As the Apple Turns”

“They removed MY favorite feature? iTunes is a mess now. It’s disgusting, unusable. Put MY bloat back in.
    Well, they completely took away a major function, when they could have just as easily split it into a separate app, which is what they should do, and what they did ages ago with iBooks, yet you can still use iTunes to sync iBooks to iOS devices. ...So, there’s no real reason Apple had to just delete App Store, they should have either added iOS apps to Mac App Store or break iOS device syncing and the App Store into a separate app from iTunes, use iTunes solely for media. It’s totally realistic, and Apple needs to explain why they do these things.

They also need a lot more how-tos as they become less intuitive.
    1) So you want an entirely different Mac/Win app specifically for iOS apps and only for iOS apps? Why just use your iPhone or iPad to install your apps?

2) If that's not one of the "bloat" items are talking about in Apple's music and video player then what other features should be removed before taking out apps?

3) Can Apple win here? As @lkrupp notes, it seems no matter what they do people are going to shit on it.

Personally, I found it easier to find iOS apps via Safari on my Mac as I'm a heavily Mac user and then download via the iTunes portal—which I then immediately delete—but that wasn't a big deal since they have that feature that auto-installs the app on your iDevices… but I've never complained about bloat. What I don't want is having a dozen different apps whereas now I have just one. I'd personally like to have my iBooks built into iTunes, which is odd because audiobooks are still in iTunes (it is audio so that makes sense) but on iOS the Books apps contain audiobooks (which also makes sense because they're books). The problem, for me isn't combining features and services into apps but unsymmetrical divisions.

As long as Apple has other ways of doing the same things, I'm ok.

Assuming that apps can only be downloaded from the App Store is the correct assumption and Apple can do away with it, even though I find the iTunes App Store section handy.

However, how can I save and add custom ringtones to my iPhone now? Apple allows me to create a ringtone on Garageband, which I can use.

If Apple allows me to save that on the Cloud and add it to my phone via Files or the iCloud app on the iPhone, it's fine.

If Apple allows me to create the ringtone on my iOS Garageband app and add it to my iPhone also, it's fine.

I probably need to try these options and see what happens.

• Reply 36 of 40
    One thing that Apple sometimes is not good at is transitioning to a new product, application, or strategy.  The "stripping" of iTunes is a major hint that big changes are coming.

It's becoming quite clear that more than likely there will not be an iTunes 13 for PC/Mac.  The iTunes Store has been buried in iOS and hasn't been updated in a while, and, they are pruning features out of the PC/Mac clients.  More than likely, the next version of iTunes will be named Apple Music.  On iOS, the purchasing of music will be integrated into the Apple Music app for those that still want to own rather than rent their music, and just needs to be better integrated into the PC/Mac clients which already have purchasing and streaming in the same application.  

I'm sure what's perplexing Apple the most is what to do with the TV/Movies aspect of iTunes, and I'm guessing the TV app is part of that strategy, and at some point there may be a Movies or Videos app as well.  If there's enough feedback from customers, you may be able to get some out-of-cloud/local management of iOS apps in the Mac App Store, which is due for an overhaul in 10.14 (usually its feature set is one version behind the iOS App Store).

Regardless, the writing is on the wall is that there is a real transition underway with both the iTunes apps, stores, and branding overall.
  • Reply 37 of 40
    Soli said:
    benji888 said:
    lkrupp said:
    Previously on “As the Apple Turns”

“iTunes is a bloated mess. It’s disgusting, unusable. Get rid of the bloat, remove features, split it up into multiple apps!”

On this episode of “As the Apple Turns”

“They removed MY favorite feature? iTunes is a mess now. It’s disgusting, unusable. Put MY bloat back in.
    Well, they completely took away a major function, when they could have just as easily split it into a separate app, which is what they should do, and what they did ages ago with iBooks, yet you can still use iTunes to sync iBooks to iOS devices. ...So, there’s no real reason Apple had to just delete App Store, they should have either added iOS apps to Mac App Store or break iOS device syncing and the App Store into a separate app from iTunes, use iTunes solely for media. It’s totally realistic, and Apple needs to explain why they do these things.

They also need a lot more how-tos as they become less intuitive.
    1) So you want an entirely different Mac/Win app specifically for iOS apps and only for iOS apps? Why just use your iPhone or iPad to install your apps?

2) If that's not one of the "bloat" items are talking about in Apple's music and video player then what other features should be removed before taking out apps?

3) Can Apple win here? As @lkrupp notes, it seems no matter what they do people are going to shit on it.

Personally, I found it easier to find iOS apps via Safari on my Mac as I'm a heavily Mac user and then download via the iTunes portal—which I then immediately delete—but that wasn't a big deal since they have that feature that auto-installs the app on your iDevices… but I've never complained about bloat. What I don't want is having a dozen different apps whereas now I have just one. I'd personally like to have my iBooks built into iTunes, which is odd because audiobooks are still in iTunes (it is audio so that makes sense) but on iOS the Books apps contain audiobooks (which also makes sense because they're books). The problem, for me isn't combining features and services into apps but unsymmetrical divisions.

As long as Apple has other ways of doing the same things, I'm ok.

Assuming that apps can only be downloaded from the App Store is the correct assumption and Apple can do away with it, even though I find the iTunes App Store section handy.

However, how can I save and add custom ringtones to my iPhone now? Apple allows me to create a ringtone on Garageband, which I can use.

If Apple allows me to save that on the Cloud and add it to my phone via Files or the iCloud app on the iPhone, it's fine.

If Apple allows me to create the ringtone on my iOS Garageband app and add it to my iPhone also, it's fine.

I probably need to try these options and see what happens.

You can drag the ringtone file directly to your device in iTunes.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201593
    bestkeptsecret
  • Reply 38 of 40
    The only thing new in iOS taugust04_ai said:
    One thing that Apple sometimes is not good at is transitioning to a new product, application, or strategy.  The "stripping" of iTunes is a major hint that big changes are coming.

It's becoming quite clear that more than likely there will not be an iTunes 13 for PC/Mac.  The iTunes Store has been buried in iOS and hasn't been updated in a while, and, they are pruning features out of the PC/Mac clients.  More than likely, the next version of iTunes will be named Apple Music.  On iOS, the purchasing of music will be integrated into the Apple Music app for those that still want to own rather than rent their music, and just needs to be better integrated into the PC/Mac clients which already have purchasing and streaming in the same application.  

I'm sure what's perplexing Apple the most is what to do with the TV/Movies aspect of iTunes, and I'm guessing the TV app is part of that strategy, and at some point there may be a Movies or Videos app as well.  If there's enough feedback from customers, you may be able to get some out-of-cloud/local management of iOS apps in the Mac App Store, which is due for an overhaul in 10.14 (usually its feature set is one version behind the iOS App Store).

Regardless, the writing is on the wall is that there is a real transition underway with both the iTunes apps, stores, and branding overall.
    Or, they realized only like 3% of users even sync to iTunes anymore and ripped it out given that section has been long neglected anyway. 

The home screen manager thing has *always* sucked but at least it gave you an easier way to create blank home screens (how do you do this in iOS? I don't think you can) and move around multiple apps at once. iOS at least now allows you to move multiple apps at once, so it's slightly improved. I have 15 pages of apps and find the terribly flawed iTunes app manager more useful.

EDIT: Just tried out Apple's Configurator 2, and it more or less has the same capabilities of the app manager in iTunes. At this point I'm only interested in the home screen/app arrangement aspect, and in that respect, it may be good enough for my needs despite having a couple shortcomings (can't add a blank page, can't insert apps between others on another page, stuff like that which you kind have to work around). But I'm thinking this may alleviate some of the pain of removing app management from iTunes, especially if they make it a bit more flexible.
    edited October 2017
  • Reply 39 of 40
    What BS, you update through the App Store to the new version, then go to try to use this new old version, and it says it cannot read the library and asks me to download the new one again.  APPLE SUCKS!
  • Reply 40 of 40
    What BS, you update through the App Store to the new version, then go to try to use this new old version, and it says it cannot read the library and asks me to download the new one again.  APPLE SUCKS!
    Go look in ~/Music/iTunes/Previous iTunes Libraries/ and replace your newly updated iTunes Library.itl with the most recent older one from the last version, or the last copy you have in your backup.