Qualcomm seeks to halt Apple's sales & manufacturing of iPhones in China

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 25
    NY1822 said:
    Wall Street doesn’t seem to care
    It will, when Qualcomm loses and will have to decrease its projected profits.
  • Reply 22 of 25
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,931member
    Likely what's happening is QC is taking a more aggressive, offensive approach to try and score some wins and then leverage them in other arenas. I have no idea how Chinese patent laws work (or if they work,) but I can guarantee that QC made a risk-benefit calculation before filing this suit, and I agree with the people above who say that Apple needs China more than China needs Apple. As far as manufacturing jobs go, even if Apple can't sell phones in China, the remainder of their market remains, so it's unlikely to make a dent in Chinese jobs. 
  • Reply 23 of 25
    noahjnoahj Posts: 4,503member
    MplsP said:
    Likely what's happening is QC is taking a more aggressive, offensive approach to try and score some wins and then leverage them in other arenas. I have no idea how Chinese patent laws work (or if they work,) but I can guarantee that QC made a risk-benefit calculation before filing this suit, and I agree with the people above who say that Apple needs China more than China needs Apple. As far as manufacturing jobs go, even if Apple can't sell phones in China, the remainder of their market remains, so it's unlikely to make a dent in Chinese jobs. 
    I am uncertain that you actually read the full text of what a loss to QC would entail.   "looking to block both sales and manufacturing of iPhones in the country "

That would most most certainly make a dent in Chinese jobs if the manufacturing of the phone were blocked. 
  • Reply 24 of 25
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    I've said this before if QCOM felt they were in a strong position they would just stop shipping Apple and it's manufacturer chips until they paid up. QCOM could have easily put Apple on a credit hold until they paid up and QCOM would be in their right, but if they cut off Apple and they were found wrong by the courts it would be extremely costly to QCOM.
  • Reply 25 of 25
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,931member
    noahj said:
    MplsP said:
    I am uncertain that you actually read the full text of what a loss to QC would entail.   "looking to block both sales and manufacturing of iPhones in the country "

That would most most certainly make a dent in Chinese jobs if the manufacturing of the phone were blocked. 
    I saw that, but patent laws are country dependent, so blocking worldwide production because a product isn’t compliant with Chinese patent law when it may be compliant with the laws in other countries doesn’t make sense, I could be wrong, though.