Major vulnerability in Apple's macOS provides System Administrator access with few instruc...

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 44
    AppleInsider is not publishing the full set of instructions for the sake of security,
    Hmm. smart, but not smart enough to show an image of the tweet with the instructions intact. Took about 10 seconds to perform successfully.
  • Reply 42 of 44
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    Soli said:
    dysamoria said:
    Eric_WVGG said:
    Sigh. Apple needs to either scale their ambitions for annual MacOS releases way the fuck back, or return to an 18 month schedule. 

— Eric “still wakes up to a kernel panic if he leaves his MBP plugged in to a Thunderbolt Display and some backup drives overnight" WVGG
    Here here. It's disgusting what today's (actually 2013's) Apple feels is acceptable. 
    dysamoria said:
    Eric_WVGG said:
    Sigh. Apple needs to either scale their ambitions for annual MacOS releases way the fuck back, or return to an 18 month schedule. 

— Eric “still wakes up to a kernel panic if he leaves his MBP plugged in to a Thunderbolt Display and some backup drives overnight" WVGG
    Here here. It's disgusting what today's (actually 2013's) Apple feels is acceptable. 
    Have you two thought this through?

Since iCloud and iOS services syncing though iCloud is a major part of how all their modern OSes work, how exactly would it help Apple to have, say a new iPhone come out in the Autumn and then have to wait for a great feature added to iOS will finally work as expected when macOS won't be updated for 6 to 18 months. 

There's a clear reason why they announce all the new features at WWDC and release the new OS betas and updated OSes around the same time.

I also think you two are forgetting that these bugs are not a new thing. You, like most people, have forgotten all the issues that have plagued Apple's HW and SW back when the Mac was their own major product offering. Hell, they even had an egregious bug in macOS about 2 decades ago that would let you log into any account simply by overflowing the buffer by typing in an excessive number of characters into the password field.

Shit happens and it's unfortunate, especially when it's a security flaw, but nothing is gained by looking at Apple's past through rose-colored glasses.
    Have you not thought through your criticism of our comments? Obviously iPhone is part of the top-short development cycle. iOS is a mess. It's been a mess since 2013 with iOS 7 and has not been improving. The mess is spreading to macOS. iOS and iPhone releases are indeed pushing macOS revisions, and it's all mostly for irrelevant "features" to promote yet another change-for-the-sake-of-change product, to push for perpetually-growing stock prices and profit (a pathological ideology).
  • Reply 43 of 44
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member

Soli said:

I also think you two are forgetting that these bugs are not a new thing. You, like most people, have forgotten all the issues that have plagued Apple's HW and SW back when the Mac was their own major product offering. Hell, they even had an egregious bug in macOS about 2 decades ago that would let you log into any account simply by overflowing the buffer by typing in an excessive number of characters into the password field.u

Shit happens and it's unfortunate, especially when it's a security flaw, but nothing is gained by looking at Apple's past through rose-colored glasses.
    Oh and I'm not wearing rose-colored glasses. I was plagued by maddening Mail crashing bugs in iOS 4 and Snow Leopard still has Finder window problems that never got fixed, for two examples. Ultimately, though, the quality of the product was much higher prior to 2013. The GUIs were designed for the most usability prior to 2013's establishment of this flat and low contrast, buttonless, overcomplicated and inconsistent gestures era. The text selection and editing bugs introduced in iOS 7 Safari have NEVER BEEN FIXED in FIVE major releases, and have now spread to the Mail application as they replace text view components in Mail with those made for Safari (apparently). I've reported these things countless times but it is zero priority to Apple, who are focusing on ramming new versions with new pointless features down our throats to get us to buy new phones every year.

There are major losses in intuitiveness and usability that have not been recouped since 2013. New users struggle with today's Apple when they were well served by Apple prior to 2013. Content creators who rely on the Mac ecosystem have suffered. Products have been killed to focus development on iOS product. Products have been gutted to serve iOS (iWork most notably suffered here). Etc.

Apple earned my interest. They earned my conversion from Windows with superb product from 2007 to 2012. They've been ever since burning the good will they earned. I feel gross about my past recommendations to my family to buy into the Apple ecosystem, because it no longer just works. I feel like I'm dealing with another Microsoft now and there's nowhere else to go because Apple product's historic underlying framework is still less bad than any competition... for now.

i hate the computer industry. It has inspired a cult of volunteer defenders who offer logical fallacy defenses for every problem. It's special pleading at every turn with "no software is bug free" and "software is made by humans and therefore will have errors" etc. No other industry has crusaders excusing so many fundamentally broken products as this one. Apple were once a better company than that. Apple were pushing the industry to do better. Now Apple have joined in on perpetuating the problems and the only vision left is that of Wall Street's pathological obsession with growth.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 44 of 44
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    dysamoria said:

Soli said:

I also think you two are forgetting that these bugs are not a new thing. You, like most people, have forgotten all the issues that have plagued Apple's HW and SW back when the Mac was their own major product offering. Hell, they even had an egregious bug in macOS about 2 decades ago that would let you log into any account simply by overflowing the buffer by typing in an excessive number of characters into the password field.u

Oh and I'm not wearing rose-colored glasses. I was plagued by maddening Mail crashing bugs in iOS 4 and Snow Leopard still has Finder window problems that never got fixed, for two examples. Ultimately, though, the quality of the product was much higher prior to 2013. The GUIs were designed for the most usability prior to 2013's establishment of this flat and low contrast, buttonless, overcomplicated and inconsistent gestures era. The text selection and editing bugs introduced in iOS 7 Safari have NEVER BEEN FIXED in FIVE major releases, and have now spread to the Mail application as they replace text view components in Mail with those made for Safari (apparently). I've reported these things countless times but it is zero priority to Apple, who are focusing on ramming new versions with new pointless features down our throats to get us to buy new phones every year.

There are major losses in intuitiveness and usability that have not been recouped since 2013. New users struggle with today's Apple when they were well served by Apple prior to 2013. Content creators who rely on the Mac ecosystem have suffered. Products have been killed to focus development on iOS product. Products have been gutted to serve iOS (iWork most notably suffered here). Etc.

Apple earned my interest. They earned my conversion from Windows with superb product from 2007 to 2012. They've been ever since burning the good will they earned. I feel gross about my past recommendations to my family to buy into the Apple ecosystem, because it no longer just works. I feel like I'm dealing with another Microsoft now and there's nowhere else to go because Apple product's historic underlying framework is still less bad than any competition... for now.

i hate the computer industry. It has inspired a cult of volunteer defenders who offer logical fallacy defenses for every problem. It's special pleading at every turn with "no software is bug free" and "software is made by humans and therefore will have errors" etc. No other industry has crusaders excusing so many fundamentally broken products as this one. Apple were once a better company than that. Apple were pushing the industry to do better. Now Apple have joined in on perpetuating the problems and the only vision left is that of Wall Street's pathological obsession with growth.
    That's why you're wearing rose colored glasses. For some reason you actually believe that Apple only recently didn't have perfect software. Are you sure you want to jump in with a "If Steve were alive…" comment?
    edited November 2017