Video: With Apple's HomePod delayed until 2018, will customers wait?

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 26
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    k2kw said:
    nhughes said:
    matrix077 said:
    The choice for me is between this HomePod and Devialet for (undistorted sound) digital speaker system that can do AirPlay, and considers that Devialet is like 3 times more expensive I'm gladly wait.

I just ordered two SONOS ONE's because they are $25 off for $350.   The price of a HomePod.    I'm only half heartedly going into the SONOS echo system     I'm interested in  playing music but always wanted SONOS to have AIRPlay integration so it would handle podcasts too.   

Siri definitely needs to get better.   It won't have a screen as a crutch to say "here's a website".

Niel, which Battery case did you pick up for your iPhone X.   
     Sonos is a great buy.  I was initially against going Sonos but adding Airplay support along with support for Apple Music has pulled me away from Bose Soundtouch. 

I'll probably buy one HomePod and then I'll purchase a Sonos Amp for my in-celing speakers,  a couple of Sonos One and at least a Play 5 (love this speaker).    My Bose Soundtouch 10 will be on Airplay2. 

It's been years since the Vocal IQ acquisition.  Siri hasn't changed that much...we need to see something, preferably a large leap forward. 

The recent Bloomberg article about Apple essentially letting Amazon scoop them rings true to me.   The problem with Tech companies when they get large is that their lens focal length on innovation shrinks.    Apple had Siri, Facetime and Airplay ...three successful ingredients to branch out and no execs there could see the obvious sitting right in front of them.   Much like Microsoft struggled because they had to push windows into every new product Apple slipped into pushing iPhones and iPads as an answer to everything. 

I don't trust Amazon or Google but Apple's gaffe has essentially forced us into this spot. 
  • Reply 22 of 26
    k2kw said:
    nhughes said:
    matrix077 said:
    The choice for me is between this HomePod and Devialet for (undistorted sound) digital speaker system that can do AirPlay, and considers that Devialet is like 3 times more expensive I'm gladly wait.
    I really love the Devialet but can't justify the expense. I also love the new Master & Dynamic concrete speaker.

My problem with both: No AirPlay 2 support. Devialet has AirPlay 1, and will hopefully be updated with AirPlay 2. M&D is just Bluetooth and Chromecast. No thanks.

I'm a longtime AirPlay user, and I'm praying that Apple updates the AirPort Express to support AirPlay 2, either with a firmware update, or (less likely) a new 802.11ac model. I also have a relatively recent Denon receiver with AirPlay support that I hope will get the AirPlay 2 update. We've contacted numerous manufacturers about AirPlay 2 support, and their response has been, at best, a collective shrug — it would seem Apple has kept manufacturers in the dark about firmware support, and so they are genuinely unsure whether their devices will be able to support the new standard. That's a shame, and might be one of the reasons the HomePod was delayed.
    I just ordered two SONOS ONE's because they are $25 off for $350.   The price of a HomePod.    I'm only half heartedly going into the SONOS echo system     I'm interested in  playing music but always wanted SONOS to have AIRPlay integration so it would handle podcasts too.   

Siri definitely needs to get better.   It won't have a screen as a crutch to say "here's a website".

I got this one. It's fine — it's bulky, and the top is hard to remove, but it's available and it gets the job done. I'm happy with it overall.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075LW155D?tag=reality
  • Reply 23 of 26
    ben20ben20 Posts: 126member
    I believe the Homepod will have excellent sound, however, if Siri can't do what Alexa is doing, Apple has a serious problem. Alexa is the clear winner right now! (I use them both everyday)
  • Reply 24 of 26
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    k2kw said:
    nhughes said:
    matrix077 said:

Sonos is a great buy.  I was initially against going Sonos but adding Airplay support along with support for Apple Music has pulled me away from Bose Soundtouch. 

I'll probably buy one HomePod and then I'll purchase a Sonos Amp for my in-celing speakers,  a couple of Sonos One and at least a Play 5 (love this speaker).    My Bose Soundtouch 10 will be on Airplay2. 

It's been years since the Vocal IQ acquisition.  Siri hasn't changed that much...we need to see something, preferably a large leap forward. 

The recent Bloomberg article about Apple essentially letting Amazon scoop them rings true to me.   The problem with Tech companies when they get large is that their lens focal length on innovation shrinks.    Apple had Siri, Facetime and Airplay ...three successful ingredients to branch out and no execs there could see the obvious sitting right in front of them.   Much like Microsoft struggled because they had to push windows into every new product Apple slipped into pushing iPhones and iPads as an answer to everything. 

I don't trust Amazon or Google but Apple's gaffe has essentially forced us into this spot. 
    I would be happy with the Siri performing at near parity to Alexa.
    Its disappointing that Siri has progressed so little when you consider how Apple has improved the screen on the iPhone-true tone, hdr, and now Oled.  Same with the camera.   Siri not so much.   

Sorry but I don't think Apple can deliver a $350 speaker with a subPar Assistant.  The comparisons to Alexa will be natural and inevitable.

But since Apple is putting the A series chip in it there is a lot of opportunity to make an incredibly revolutionary product.   

Edit:  Price should be $299, four for $999.  then they will sell like hot cakes.
    edited November 2017
  • Reply 25 of 26
    cowycowy Posts: 17member
    Waiting here!