Apple says Chicago store's snow problems are result of software issue

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 48
    dewme said:
    I'm a bit disappointed that they would design a building that doesn't accommodate and coexist in its environment in a more natural and passive way. An active roof warming system in a cold and snowy climate must be quite expensive to power and could potentially fail during a prolonged power outage, like an outage caused by excessive snowfall. I hope they at least use waste heat or an environmentally friendly energy source to power the roof heaters. It's not as bad as building an igloo store in the Arizona desert, but they could have been much more environmentally considerate like they've been with their spaceship campus. 
    If they don't have electricity to power the roof heaters, they won't have it to power their lights, cash desks, or devices so I doubt they'd be open. But still, you are right, a more passive system that fits the environment would make more sense. I'm sure they could still make it attractive and roll it out in snowy regions.
  • Reply 42 of 48
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    dewme said:
    I'm a bit disappointed that they would design a building that doesn't accommodate and coexist in its environment in a more natural and passive way. An active roof warming system in a cold and snowy climate must be quite expensive to power and could potentially fail during a prolonged power outage, like an outage caused by excessive snowfall. I hope they at least use waste heat or an environmentally friendly energy source to power the roof heaters. It's not as bad as building an igloo store in the Arizona desert, but they could have been much more environmentally considerate like they've been with their spaceship campus. 
    If they don't have electricity to power the roof heaters, they won't have it to power their lights, cash desks, or devices so I doubt they'd be open. But still, you are right, a more passive system that fits the environment would make more sense. I'm sure they could still make it attractive and roll it out in snowy regions.
    So which passive system are you talking about in particular?
  • Reply 43 of 48
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,360member
    mavemufc said:
    Um...when has the iPhone ever been hard to hold? If you mean easy to drop...
    A distinction without a difference.
  • Reply 44 of 48
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    mavemufc said:
    Um...when has the iPhone ever been hard to hold? If you mean easy to drop, then put a case on it.
    The first gen iPhone, as well as the iPhone 6, 6S, and 7, were basically wet bars of soap. And I love(d) them anyway. Never used a case.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 45 of 48
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,360member
    Sloppy reporting has been around since the dawn of reporting.

Remember the old saying "If it bleeds, it leads"?
    Indeed. Even in the days of actual journalism with actual, educated journalists, objectivity and factual reporting can suffer for the sake of headlines andreadership. And it still happens.

It's far, far worse in the blogosphere where so many are fighting to be first that respected news sources seem to stoop to TMZ levels and style of 'reporting'.

Of course, if nobody bought into it, it wouldn't happen. So we have 'tabloid journalism' regarded as a given, and not an oxymoron.

tallest skil
  • Reply 46 of 48
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    macgui said:
    Even in the days of actual journalism with actual, educated journalists, objectivity and factual reporting can suffer for the sake of headlines andreadership.

From 1871, even. And from roughly the same time:

There is no such thing, at this date of the world’s history, in America, as an independent press. You know it and I know it. There is not one of you who dares to write your honest opinions, and if you did, you know beforehand that it would never appear in print. I am paid weekly for keeping my honest opinion out of the paper I am connected with. Others of you are paid similar salaries for similar things, and any of you who would be so foolish as to write honest opinions would be out on the streets looking for another job. If I allowed my honest opinions to appear in one issue of my paper, before twenty-four hours my occupation would be gone. The business of the journalists is to destroy the truth, to lie outright, to pervert, to vilify, to fawn at the feet of mammon, and to sell his country and his race for his daily bread. You know it and I know it, and what folly is this toasting an independent press? We are the tools and vassals of rich men behind the scenes. We are the jumping jacks, they pull the strings and we dance. Our talents, our possibilities, and our lives are all the property of other men. We are intellectual prostitutes.

– John Swinton, chief editorial writer, The New York Times, 1860-70

muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 47 of 48
    mavemufc said:
    Um...when has the iPhone ever been hard to hold? If you mean easy to drop, then put a case on it.
    iPhone 6 was slippery as hell without a case.
    Was it? I can't actually remember but I had a case on 90% of the time anyway.
  • Reply 48 of 48
    mavemufc said:
    The first gen iPhone, as well as the iPhone 6, 6S, and 7, were basically wet bars of soap. And I love(d) them anyway. Never used a case.
    Yeah they were slippery but I didn't exactly find them hard to hold.