Developer adoption of Apple's ARKit tepid after iOS 11 launch, data suggests

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 27
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    one thing that might work is a board game with augmented features. Imagine risk where as you moved your men, they started to fight. That, however, still has the chicken and egg problem - will work great only with glasses and universal adoption 
    edited January 2018
  • Reply 22 of 27
    As others have suggested, ARKit isn't the end game -- it's just one piece of the puzzle dropping to expose it to developers.

As mentioned earlier, Apple's tech acquired from PrimeSense provides the ability to use 3D camera to TrueDepth map rooms, buildings.  Apple acquired PrimeSense in 2013.

Apple acquired several other companies in 2013 -- most notable is Passif Semi (SOC Tech) and WiFiSLAM (Indoor mapping tech -- SimultaneousLocationAndMapping).

Now, the WiFiSLAM tech is interesting in that it uses WiFi and magnetic noise, measured at multiple locations within a building -- to quickly and accurately create a map of the building... just by (one or more persons*) walking around...  

* one or more persons -- kinda' crowd-sourced indoor mapping...

The sensors within the phone (accelerometer, gyroscope, magnetometer  etc.) provide additional raw data -- but are not as accurate as WiFiSLAM, as shown below:

https://thenextweb.com/apple/2013/03/26/what-exactly-wifislam-is-and-why-apple-acquired-it/

OK, let's circle back:  How might this PrimeSense tech, WiFiSLAM tech, ARKit tech provide unique solutions for Apple Developers?

So, we could have several persons with iPhones, walking around creating renderings of 3D walls, rooms, floors, buildings.

But they're just 3D drawings -- they don't actually show what the space looks like...

From the above link:

They (WiFiSLAM) were also looking into other areas that would work well with camera-centric devices like Google Glass. These computer vision arenas are still in the nascent stages, but the potential is crazy. Using a video feed as you walk through a building, the device tracks the pixels on the screen to map turns one way or another and forward progress. There’s also visual matching of textures and architectural details across a city in order to identify it, which is really cool.
    Others, here, have said that people won't want to walk around holding their iPhone out in front of them -- Apple needs to provide a headset like Google Glass...

...But do they?  What if Apple were to include the tech in an AppleWatch or other wearable to gather the camera data -- and do the heavy lifting on the connected iPhone?

You wouldn't have the distraction of the real-time mapping -- but could pull out your iPhone to see the maps when desired.

Best of all, you wouldn't be considered a GlassHole!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 27
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    As in all tech, nobody needs it, until everybody needs it... Internet adoption was also slow pre-1994 , that's the thing with this kind of tech, you never know what will click, you only want to be there when that happens. That's what Apple has done and will continue doing in short order.
    watto_cobraiqatedo
  • Reply 24 of 27
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,249member
    Rayz2016 said:
    Rayz2016 said:
    Far too early to tell, I think. 
    Agreed, we should give it at least 1 year, may be 2 years before writing it off as gimmick or not-so ground breaking. But one thing I would like to highlight - As soon as ARKit was released by Apple, many people remarked that Apple has delivered AR to 500+ million iPhones which are capable of running AR Apps, leaving Android phones far behind. And that Android is behind at least by 2 years to catch up and very few phones are capable of running the AR Apps. In hindsight, it does not seem accurate. It would take at least 2 years for many useful AR apps to show up, by which time MANY Android phones would have the capability to run AR apps.
    Who the hell mentioned Android?
    McDave in post 10 seems to have started down that path
  • Reply 25 of 27
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,733member
    Rayz2016 said:
    Rayz2016 said:
    Agreed, we should give it at least 1 year, may be 2 years before writing it off as gimmick or not-so ground breaking. But one thing I would like to highlight - As soon as ARKit was released by Apple, many people remarked that Apple has delivered AR to 500+ million iPhones which are capable of running AR Apps, leaving Android phones far behind. And that Android is behind at least by 2 years to catch up and very few phones are capable of running the AR Apps. In hindsight, it does not seem accurate. It would take at least 2 years for many useful AR apps to show up, by which time MANY Android phones would have the capability to run AR apps.
    His comment wasn't aimed specifically at you.

To answer your question, though: A whole lot of posters on AI. It was the throwaway phrase post WWDC. Apple had an instant AR/VR platform with 500+ million users ready to go. 

Now, it seems many of those users will have retired many those phones before AR/VR takes off (although some might just opt for a battery replacement and see if their phones can run iOS 12 because it might be around that time that some people find a widespread or compelling use for it).

It's possible that those apps that really provide something compelling, could require iOS 12 but I wonder if the iPhone 6 will be able to run it.

edited January 2018 muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 26 of 27
    gatorguy said:
    Rayz2016 said:
    Rayz2016 said:
    McDave in post 10 seems to have started down that path

Actually Avon was correct. My comment was NOT specifically addressed to any one particular person, but the below AI articles.

http://appleinsider.com/articles/17/10/13/how-apples-iphone-x-truedepth-ar-waltzed-ahead-of-googles-tango

https://forums.appleinsider.com/discussion/201494/google-tries-to-fight-wide-arkit-compatibility-with-its-own-augmented-reality-initiative-a/p1

• Reply 27 of 27
    Here's another potential use of AR/VR -- it's called BR for Blended Reality by Amazon:

http://www.patentlyapple.com/patently-apple/2018/01/amazon-wins-a-patent-covering-future-retail-store-smart-mirrors-for-virtual-reality-fashion-shopping.html

It's a patent by Amazon where you can model fashion garments virtually displayed on your moving body by something like this:
    1. capturing a model of your body in motion in a video through a camera embedded in a mirror
    2. selecting garments to model
    3. matching the garments to your body image 
    4. creating virtual video segments showing your body in motion wearing different garments
    5. displaying the  combined Blended Reality videos showing you wearing the garments blended through a video display -- in this case the mirror
    You can display multiple images in motion showing different colors, different garments, etc.

I suspect the Amazon implementation will be something like this:
    1. use your smart phone to capture a video of your body in motion -- from the privacy/convenience of your own home
    2. upload the video to Amazon
    3. select the garments model via nor Amazon shopping cart
    4. process on Amazon's site to match the garments to your body image
    5. process on Amazon's site to create virtual video segments of your body in wearing the garments
    6. stream/download the to your computer or TV for display
    7. buy/save/create a registry of the videos with normal Amazon site features.

...Hey significant other, friend, etc. -- How do you think this looks on me -- I like the red...