'Galaxy S9' packaging leak hints at single rear camera sensor with variable aperture

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 29
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,884member
    clock07 said:
    maestro64 said:
    supadav03 said:
    So no under the screen finger print scanner then?

and where is the face ID everyone said Samsung would have this year since.
    It is Apple’s own fault for steering people away from its handsets. Face ID is a HUGE misstep, I’m perfectly satisfied with Touch ID. What’s needed is a 36 MP camera system. Google has made tremendously strong progress with its Pixel 2, but impending Google or Samsung smartphone advancement in market share doesn’t stem from their being superior to Apple. Quite the contrary, it’s the APPLE’s wrong steps that enabled them to steal away customers. Is it really that hard for Apple to grasp that there is a significant market niche that demands not much: simple Touch ID as the lead, superior 36 MP camera on par with pro full-size cameras, and all that packed in 749 $ price tag. At this very moment Apple is in override mode, has to make one step back and cater customers, not make too much of a fuss about it, admit the mistake. Also have a separate channel of support/update for older versions of iPhones, not nudging people to buy new handsets. Now, all this may seem as a moderate suggestion, but it’s not , this a direct order. What counts is not the the Apple’s stance, but rather mine. Therefore, execute on demand and you’ll get the money. Deliver immediately!
     Cool story bro. Only a couple problems. First, Face ID is great and I don’t miss the screen to surface ratio sacrifices of Touch ID chin phones, and two, simply “moar!” pixels doesn’t mean better pictures, and i’m fact can mean worse when the sensor is so small as in most mobiles. 
  • Reply 22 of 29
    clock07 said:
    maestro64 said:
    supadav03 said:

It is Apple’s own fault for steering people away from its handsets. Face ID is a HUGE misstep, I’m perfectly satisfied with Touch ID. What’s needed is a 36 MP camera system. Google has made tremendously strong progress with its Pixel 2, but impending Google or Samsung smartphone advancement in market share doesn’t stem from their being superior to Apple. Quite the contrary, it’s the APPLE’s wrong steps that enabled them to steal away customers. Is it really that hard for Apple to grasp that there is a significant market niche that demands not much: simple Touch ID as the lead, superior 36 MP camera on par with pro full-size cameras, and all that packed in 749 $ price tag. At this very moment Apple is in override mode, has to make one step back and cater customers, not make too much of a fuss about it, admit the mistake. Also have a separate channel of support/update for older versions of iPhones, not nudging people to buy new handsets. Now, all this may seem as a moderate suggestion, but it’s not , this a direct order. What counts is not the the Apple’s stance, but rather mine. Therefore, execute on demand and you’ll get the money. Deliver immediately!
    Huge misstep? You haven’t used it, have you. My X got stolen on vacation and I’ve been back on my 6 for a couple weeks.  Touch ID is miserable in comparison. 
  • Reply 23 of 29
    The ONLY thing that caught my eye in this, was the variable aperture lens.

As a semi-pro photographer, this would be a nice-to-have in the iPhone, if it can deliver a tangible benefit, since the lens and sensor are so small...
    What would you hope to gain by having 1 aperture smaller in a smartphone? 1.4-2.8 is not a huge difference in DOF. Also, since most phone cameras adjust the chip gain for exposure, you can achieve the same effect by just cutting the gain which would improve the quality anyway. Now if they said it was “dual aperture” and the 2nd aperture was f8 or f11 etc I’d say it might be useful, but even then needing “more depth of field” isn’t really a problem with a smartphone. Seems like a solution in search of a problem. 
    spheric
  • Reply 24 of 29
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    clock07 said:
    maestro64 said:
    supadav03 said:

Cool story bro. Only a couple problems. First, Face ID is great and I don’t miss the screen to surface ratio sacrifices of Touch ID chin phones, and two, simply “moar!” pixels doesn’t mean better pictures, and i’m fact can mean worse when the sensor is so small as in most mobiles. 
    TouchID seems to getting less reliable as the weather gets colder. I’m wondering if I have a circulation problem. 
  • Reply 25 of 29
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,564member

As a semi-pro photographer, this would be a nice-to-have in the iPhone, if it can deliver a tangible benefit, since the lens and sensor are so small...
    Don’t you already kinda have that with the dual cameras on the Plus and X?
    No. While the two lenses have different apertures (=“how much light enters the camera”), this is only because they have very different focal lengths (=“how wide the angle of the picture is that reaches the sensor”). 

You cannot keep the same frame and vary only the aperture (for changing the exposure time or the depth of field).
  • Reply 26 of 29
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,697member

What would you hope to gain by having 1 aperture smaller in a smartphone? 1.4-2.8 is not a huge difference in DOF. Also, since most phone cameras adjust the chip gain for exposure, you can achieve the same effect by just cutting the gain which would improve the quality anyway. Now if they said it was “dual aperture” and the 2nd aperture was f8 or f11 etc I’d say it might be useful, but even then needing “more depth of field” isn’t really a problem with a smartphone. Seems like a solution in search of a problem. 
    I think it's to improve low light photography primarily, but yes, it's also true that a lot of magic is carried out in DSPs nowadays.
  • Reply 27 of 29
    spheric said:

Don’t you already kinda have that with the dual cameras on the Plus and X?
    No. While the two lenses have different apertures (=“how much light enters the camera”), this is only because they have very different focal lengths (=“how wide the angle of the picture is that reaches the sensor”). 

You cannot keep the same frame and vary only the aperture (for changing the exposure time or the depth of field).
    I don’t think you’re going to get any meaningful change in depth of field switching between f1.5-2.4 in a smartphone lens. Maybe more manual exposure control but 99% of users will never use a manual camera app. I guess we’ll see what practical application this will have for actual shooting. 
  • Reply 28 of 29
    Rayz2016 said:
    clock07 said:
    maestro64 said:
    supadav03 said:

Funniest post of the year so far!

👍🏾🤣👍🏾
    Funny it is, I’ll give you that. But there’s a whole bunch of people who prefer Touch ID and Apple should give them the opportunity to use it as long as they want, that is if we’re talking customer satisfaction. Just saying, it would be nice of Apple to leave the door open to such folks   😀🇭🇷😇
  • Reply 29 of 29
    clock07 said:
    Rayz2016 said:
    clock07 said:
    maestro64 said:
    supadav03 said:

Funniest post of the year so far!

👍🏾🤣👍🏾
    Funny it is, I’ll give you that. But there’s a whole bunch of people who prefer Touch ID and Apple should give them the opportunity to use it as long as they want, that is if we’re talking customer satisfaction. Just saying, it would be nice of Apple to leave the door open to such folks   😀🇭🇷😇

Yes, it was really funny. Not the part related to Touch ID, the one related to camera.