Apple's iPhone 7 Plus was second most-popular smartphone sold in China during 2017

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 25
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,696member
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    starxd said:
    avon b7 said:
    But but but China hates iphone. Or was that Japan*? Neither? Well shoot, there goes that narrative. 

*https://www.wired.com/2009/02/why-the-iphone/
    With very low single digit marketshare with their best selling model (for a product with a limited model spread) 2017 was hardly a love story (assuming figures are confirmed).

Ummmm... a single phone model getting nearly 3% is very good. Even the best selling phone in China only did slightly better. And added together the two 7 models are over 5%. That's great considering their high price point.
    I'm not so sure. There are so many different models from other manufacturers that even while barely breaking into the top ten of top selling models, still outstrip Apple.

No doubt Apple would gladly sacrifice its position in this particular top ten in exchange for a larger overall percentage in the Chinese market.

That said, my reference wasn't so much on how well Apple did or not (I think it's commendable - after all, the Chinese market was reportedly flat) but on the idea that this particular piece of news did away with the China hates the iPhone narrative. I don't think that was ever the case but it's clear (crystal clear IMO) that they have a long way still to go.
    You are, as always, pushing the Church of Marketshare, not profit share.
    Remind me what the title of the graph in the article is. 

I thought it was about marketshare.
    You were the one that stated "No doubt Apple would gladly sacrifice its position in this particular top ten in exchange for a larger overall percentage in the Chinese market".

Would they, or is that just another one of your bullet points to use against Apple? I'm speculating that Apple is in fact drawing the top profits in China of all of the manufacturers, and by a wide margin.

Perhaps you are unhappy that Oppo, not Huawei, took the top spot; what's going on with that? I've read that Huawei, third in overall world production, is in a fight to keep ahead of Oppo and Vivo, and certainly, the AT&T fiasco has cost it dearly in its expansion in the U.S. 

Reminds me of past leaders in the Chinese market falling on their faces with poorly executed expansion plans. Maybe Huawei will be the exception. 
    Yep. I stated that because this article is about marketshare, not profit and without a doubt Apple would sacrifice its place in that top ten for a higher brand (as opposed to model) marketshare. That is to say they would much rather have a spread of phones, none of which were top ten sellers, as long as final absolute numbers gave them higher sales. Note that I am not talking about margins either way (increasing or decreasing).

I'm unhappy about Oppo taking top spot from Huawei?

Not at all. Don't you remember who Huawei took it from in the first place? The important thing is that we have competition. I don't care who is 'top' as long as it leads to better technology reaching consumers at reasonable prices.

Huawei is in a fight against everybody. 'Third overall' with its sights on Apple and Samsung more than Oppo. Yes, In fact Huawei had already overtaken Apple for a time last year. The first time Apple had been in that situation in many years.

www.counterpointresearch.com/huawei-overtakes-apple-as-worlds-second-biggest-smartphone-maker/

The AT&T deal has cost Huawei dearly but that is no fault of Huawei's. Are you happy that US consumers are not getting access to the best possible options in handsets on equal terms as Samsung and Apple? The situation should worry you.

There has been nothing poorly executed in Huawei's plans. The numbers speak for themselves. They want to be number one worldwide within two or three years and have publicly set that goal. Whether they reach it.or not is anybody's guess but I can tell you Apple is feeling the heat. Its core (and flat) market is being attacked on all sides. It had little option but to alter its strategy and branch into markets where growth was explosive (sub premium).

The reasons were valid and for all the gaffawing from some people on the AI forums, it had to happen. Hard to believe that some people just ignored the facts sitting there in front of them and thought Apple could carry on as usual in its premium bubble and remain unaffected. Apple's change in strategy is a result of competition but it has more than one leg and marketshare is very much part of their goals.

muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 22 of 25
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,696member
    More news on Huawei and AT&T.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-at-t-huawei-tech-exclusive/exclusive-u-s-lawmakers-urge-att-to-cut-commercial-ties-with-huawei-sources-idUSKBN1F50GV

I said this could end up in a tit-for-tat exchange between the US and China. I think one step in that direction has just been taken.
  • Reply 23 of 25
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    starxd said:
    avon b7 said:
    But but but China hates iphone. Or was that Japan*? Neither? Well shoot, there goes that narrative. 

*https://www.wired.com/2009/02/why-the-iphone/
    With very low single digit marketshare with their best selling model (for a product with a limited model spread) 2017 was hardly a love story (assuming figures are confirmed).

Ummmm... a single phone model getting nearly 3% is very good. Even the best selling phone in China only did slightly better. And added together the two 7 models are over 5%. That's great considering their high price point.
    I'm not so sure. There are so many different models from other manufacturers that even while barely breaking into the top ten of top selling models, still outstrip Apple.

No doubt Apple would gladly sacrifice its position in this particular top ten in exchange for a larger overall percentage in the Chinese market.

That said, my reference wasn't so much on how well Apple did or not (I think it's commendable - after all, the Chinese market was reportedly flat) but on the idea that this particular piece of news did away with the China hates the iPhone narrative. I don't think that was ever the case but it's clear (crystal clear IMO) that they have a long way still to go.
    You are, as always, pushing the Church of Marketshare, not profit share.
    Remind me what the title of the graph in the article is. 

I thought it was about marketshare.
    You were the one that stated "No doubt Apple would gladly sacrifice its position in this particular top ten in exchange for a larger overall percentage in the Chinese market".

Would they, or is that just another one of your bullet points to use against Apple? I'm speculating that Apple is in fact drawing the top profits in China of all of the manufacturers, and by a wide margin.

Perhaps you are unhappy that Oppo, not Huawei, took the top spot; what's going on with that? I've read that Huawei, third in overall world production, is in a fight to keep ahead of Oppo and Vivo, and certainly, the AT&T fiasco has cost it dearly in its expansion in the U.S. 

Reminds me of past leaders in the Chinese market falling on their faces with poorly executed expansion plans. Maybe Huawei will be the exception. 
    Yep. I stated that because this article is about marketshare, not profit and without a doubt Apple would sacrifice its place in that top ten for a higher brand (as opposed to model) marketshare. That is to say they would much rather have a spread of phones, none of which were top ten sellers, as long as final absolute numbers gave them higher sales. Note that I am not talking about margins either way (increasing or decreasing).

I'm unhappy about Oppo taking top spot from Huawei?

Not at all. Don't you remember who Huawei took it from in the first place? The important thing is that we have competition. I don't care who is 'top' as long as it leads to better technology reaching consumers at reasonable prices.

Huawei is in a fight against everybody. 'Third overall' with its sights on Apple and Samsung more than Oppo. Yes, In fact Huawei had already overtaken Apple for a time last year. The first time Apple had been in that situation in many years.

www.counterpointresearch.com/huawei-overtakes-apple-as-worlds-second-biggest-smartphone-maker/

The AT&T deal has cost Huawei dearly but that is no fault of Huawei's. Are you happy that US consumers are not getting access to the best possible options in handsets on equal terms as Samsung and Apple? The situation should worry you.

There has been nothing poorly executed in Huawei's plans. The numbers speak for themselves. They want to be number one worldwide within two or three years and have publicly set that goal. Whether they reach it.or not is anybody's guess but I can tell you Apple is feeling the heat. Its core (and flat) market is being attacked on all sides. It had little option but to alter its strategy and branch into markets where growth was explosive (sub premium).

The reasons were valid and for all the gaffawing from some people on the AI forums, it had to happen. Hard to believe that some people just ignored the facts sitting there in front of them and thought Apple could carry on as usual in its premium bubble and remain unaffected. Apple's change in strategy is a result of competition but it has more than one leg and marketshare is very much part of their goals.

I agree with you on this point - Apple DOES care about marketshare, NOT in the overall market, but in the category of phones with >$400 which does INCLUDE the "affordable premium" that you usually call it as. Many people in this forum make it look as if Apple would be "satisfied" with selling 50 Million iPhones at $1000 ASP with 40% margin instead of 200 million iPhones at $600 ASP with 30% margin if it came to that. But that is NOT exactly true. And you are right about Apple's changed strategy (i.e. making available 2 year old phones) is a proof of that claim.

• Reply 24 of 25
    I Phone 7 Plus is one of the best phone I think.
    I still have it although I Phone 10 is in the market but still many people like it. :)